Start by marking “See You Later Alligator” as Want to Read:
See You Later Alligator

See You Later Alligator (Blackford Oakes #6)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  236 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The year is 1961, the setting Havana. CIA super-secret agent Blackford Oakes is sent there on a mission only to find himself in the eye of an international political hurricane.
Paperback
Published by Cumberland House Publishing (first published August 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about See You Later Alligator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about See You Later Alligator

Eric
Buckley's Blackford Oakes novels just keep getting better.

Fresh from witnessing the partitioning of Berlin, Oakes is sent by President Kennedy to Havana to negotiate a possible agreement with Comandante Che Guevara, which would result in lifting the then-young Cuban embargo. However, while Oakes and Che spar, Castro is quietly accepting missiles from the Soviet Union, missiles that will soon be tipped with nuclear warheads.

Naturally, Oakes learns of the missiles before any other American does, t
Adam
After reading The Millionaires I figured I really want to get something worthwhile into my brain so I picked up William F. Buckley's CIA agent novel. Although I can't call this great literature at least the language it is written in is intellectual and there is a ton of substance in the story.
James Cooper
One of the best so far in the series. Great stuff. And of course, our Blackford remains alive and back home safe with Sally.
Steven Kent
An American cross between Fleming's Bond and Le Carre's Smiley, Blackford Oaks is an operative instead of a controller, but he is high placed. He has the requisite Bond-style good looks et. al.

In this book, Oaks travels to Cuba where he is shown around by Che and accidentally stumbles into a missile base.

The book was written by William F.Buckley, you better bet it's politically charged. But it's surprisingly well written and offering a fascinating and sometimes sympathetic looks into the leaders
Jim
William F Buckley's favorite spy, Blackford Oakes, meets up with Che Guevara. Put away your Che teeshirt for this one - WFB is unsentimental about Guevara. As always, Buckley weaves history (here, the Cuban Missile Crisis) into his spy novels.
Jack

So far, the only book in Buckley's "Blackford Oakes" series that I've read. It's a clever spy story concerning secret U.S.-Cuba diplomacy. Recommended to fans of Frederick Forsythe, John Le Carre, etc.
Meredith
William F. Buckley Jr.- intrigued after reading his son's memoir. I am enjoying this - its fast paced and clever. Slightly anachronistic, but it works.
Royal Dun
Reading Buckley is like following the reasoning of James Joyce. I found it so verbose, obtuse, and wandering that I could not get beyond the first few pages.
Ashley
Jul 09, 2007 Ashley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids
i used to recite these sayings all the time as a kid.
don't meander, salamander.
see you at the mine, porcupine!
Amloid Mesa
A lil slow to start but good in the end.
Graf
It's time for Oakes to retire.
John Gurney
John Gurney marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Mahreen Khan
Mahreen Khan marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Alasdair Ekpenyong
Alasdair Ekpenyong marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Glenn
Glenn marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Wendy Spencer
Wendy Spencer marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Truman's Spy: A Cold War Spy Story
  • God in Concord (Homer Kelly, #9)
  • Repair to Her Grave (Home Repair is Homicide, #4)
  • Blood and Honor (Honor Bound, #2)
  • A Rare Benedictine (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, prequel stories 0.1-0.3)
  • Dog Heaven
  • Fortress (Tom Kelly, #2)
  • James Bond and Moonraker (Film-Script Adaptation)
  • The Detective Wore Silk Drawers (Sergeant Cribb, #2)
  • We Are Doomed: Reclaiming Conservative Pessimism
  • A Face Turned Backward (Lieutenant Bak, #2)
  • A Mystery of Errors (Shakespeare & Smythe, #1)
  • Golf Dreams: Writings on Golf
  • Hanging Curve
  • Velvet, Vol. 2: The Secret Lives of Dead Men
  • The Sea Witch
William Frank Buckley, Jr. was an American author and conservative commentator. He founded the political magazine National Review in 1955, hosted 1,429 episodes of the television show Firing Line from 1966 until 1999, and was a nationally syndicated newspaper columnist. His writing style was famed for its erudition, wit, and use of uncommon words.

Buckley was "arguably the most important public int
More about William F. Buckley Jr....

Blackford Oakes (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Saving the Queen
  • Mongoose, R.I.P.
  • Tucker's Last Stand
  • A Very Private Plot
  • Last Call for Blackford Oakes
God and Man at Yale: The Superstitions of 'Academic Freedom' Saving the Queen Miles Gone By: A Literary Biography Stained Glass Who's on First: A Blackford Oakes Mystery