Start by marking “Strip Search (Susan Pulaski #2)” as Want to Read:
Strip Search (Susan Pulaski #2)

Strip Search (Susan Pulaski #2)

She likes the sudden seconds of sheer terror. The neon dreams fit perfectly with the dreams that wake her up at night: about the man she loved and lost, about the constant temptations in her life, and about the odds that inevitably she’ll be in the right place at the right time to look naked, human madness in the eye.

Welcome to the world of Susan Pulaski, an unconventiona
Published August 28th 2007 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Strip Search, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strip Search

Darcia Helle
This is a fast-paced read that I can best describe as an intellectual thriller. The plot revolves around intricate math, philosophy, and religion. For me, the math really overpowers the story. This aspect is quite detailed, and at times feels as if we've shifted into textbook reading.

The characters feel secondary to the plot. They aren't especially well developed or believable. Susan has a background in psychology, yet is unable to grasp the most obvious cues in her personal and professional li
Glenda
Nov 02, 2016 Glenda rated it really liked it
Suspense, genius, madness, math, addiction, sex, birth, cancer ... and a perfect cozy-type ending.

Looking forward to discussing this one with book club.
Susan
Strip Search is the 2nd book in the Susan Pulaski series by William Bernhardt. Susan is a psychologist working as a behaviorist consultant for the modern-day Las Vegas Police Department. Susan was a full-fledged officer for years until her husband's death and her alcoholic breakdown. Lead homicide detective Granger resents Susan for two reasons: he only got the lead job when she lost it, and her husband was his partner. Chief O'Bannon appreciates Susan's skill as a profiler but fears she may no ...more
Don
Jan 16, 2016 Don rated it it was ok
This was my first William Bernhardt book, so I may give him another chance but...
This book made me yell at certain pages like some people yell at a movie screen when something completely stupid happens. It would take pages to discuss all of the problems with this book so I will just give a few of the bigger ones here.
1. The characters are not well developed. It was all but impossible to know any of the people in the book well enough to care about what happened to them along the way.
2. On a scal
Victoria
This was, I suppose, a relatively solid sequel to Dark Eye: A Novel of Suspense, but it wasn't as exciting or engaging as the first. I certainly would not recommend reading it without first reading Dark Eye: A Novel of Suspense. This set of serial murders revolves around math. I am not particularly inclined towards math, so I certainly did not catch any errata there, and found the premise to be more engaging than I would have otherwise expected. The book's main flaw fell into the realm of charac ...more
Steve
Apr 19, 2014 Steve rated it it was ok
I liked Susan and Darcy's characters. I find the sexual abuse of children by parents to be more graphic thani wanted and more pervasive as a topic thani wanted to read in escape fiction.
Down to 2 stars due to the child abuse.
I do understand why he included it since it was contralto motivation.
But as a mandated reporter, I don't want my leisure reading to include it.
Sorry!!!

Welcome to the world of Susan Pulaski, an unconventional and unusually subversive Las Vegas police behaviorist who’s already
Robin
Aug 17, 2009 Robin rated it really liked it
This was a fast and furious suspense/thriller with elements of psychology and descrptions of gruesome mutilations (the book starts with a man getting his face “deep-fried”). This is the second in the series featuring Susan Pulaski (first one is DARK EYE), a Las Vegas police behaviorist and her sidekick, Darcy O’Bannon, an autistic savant and son of the police chief. Susan is hired to profile the killer that is targeting people who have in some way neglected a past offspring. A past alcoholic and ...more
Toni
Oct 10, 2011 Toni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Strip Search involves a homicide investigation, as seen through the eyes of two people:
Susan Pulaski, a Las Vegas police behaviorist, and Darcy O’Bannion, an autistic savant.

Part of the story is told from Darcy’s point of view, with stream-of-consciousness paragraph-long sentences in which he treats himself like a computer, forcing himself to stop and reboot on occasion when he gets so overloaded with facts that he can’t communicate. Those sections are an enlightening look at how an autistic per
Rick Ludwig
When I reviewed the first book in this series, a specific aspect of the violence described put me off. This second journey with Susan Pulaski also contained graphic violence, but this time my enjoyment of the tight story and intriguing complexity involved was in no way diminished. The characters were more vital this time around and the motivations well defined. This was a fine read. It was also exciting in a way that many books try to be, but aren't. I read it in a single sitting because I could ...more
Diana
Aug 02, 2009 Diana rated it liked it
This book is why we should never judge a book by it's cover, or in this case it's title. My husband got this book for free and I almost didn't read it because the title made me think it was something entirely different than it turned out to be. After reading the description on the back, I was intrigued. It turned out to be a pretty good read with enough twists and turns to keep the reader interested.
Cynthisa
Oct 07, 2012 Cynthisa rated it liked it

Definitely a weaker effort compared to Dark Eye, the first book in this series. But I simply find the Susan/Darcy dynamic really compelling -- unlike any other books out there. Plus, a good serial killer tale is always a plus. Will be interested to see where the author takes these characters on the third round -- if there is another. This second one was perillously close to repeating the first in certain key ways, so the third book will be make or break.
Katie Spina
Aug 04, 2014 Katie Spina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Susan is a typical flawed cop character, and I had a hard time not shouting at the audio book while driving because she does such stupid things. I suppose it's an indicator of a well-crafted story when it makes you react in some way. But my frustrations with this Susan not understanding basic math concepts while having a Masters degree overrode my willingness to accept her as a flawed protagonist.
Boots S
Feb 29, 2016 Boots S rated it liked it
Although I liked the basic concept of this book, there was too much psychoanalysis stuff that was way beyond my understanding and the math explanations were really far out. The witty remarks between Susan and Granger were worth while. Darcy was delightful. I am glad he finally got his wish to become part of the police force.
Stephanie Garehan
May 10, 2009 Stephanie Garehan rated it it was amazing
This is a newer series created by William Bernhardt. The heroine is a recovering alcoholic, whose husband committed suicide. She is a contract employee for the Las Vegas PD and she partners with the autistic son of the police chief. It's a great story, and like the Ben Kincaide series, the characters are a likable bunch. . . the villian is very, very evil!
Swanbender2001
I wasn't impressed with this story mostly because of I got tired of the main character's fragile psyche and her dipping into drugs to deal with her demons. This made it hard to rally behind anything she did or accomplished. I doubt I will read anything more that involves her.
I did enjoy meeting the math whiz.
Pat
Aug 11, 2015 Pat rated it really liked it
This is the 1st book I have read by this author. The story is weird, creepy, scary as hell, takes you to the depths of depravity - and you can't put it down! The team of Susan Pulaski, police behaviorist, and Darcy O'Bannon, autistic savant who notices clues no one else does and uses math to setermine other clues no one else understands, is a winning team. I want more of these!
Fredrick Danysh
Feb 01, 2013 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
Someone in Las Vegas is murdering and mutilating people who who have had dealings with the Department of Human Services and is leaving clues in the form of mathmathecial formulas. Alcoholic ex-police officer and now police behavioral consultan Susan Pulaski aided by autistic math salvant Darcy, who is the police chief's son, have to profile the killer beffore the number of victims mount.
Trudi
May 31, 2014 Trudi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this is hardly great literature, I did enjoy it. A detective procedural novel. The interesting thing here (at least to me) is the son of the chief of police. Darcy is a highly functioning autistic mathematics savant. It is through Darcy's extraordinary math abilities that his friend, Susan Pulaski, a psychologist and former detective, is able to solve a serial killer case.
Jlither
Apr 30, 2015 Jlither rated it liked it
I have read many Ben Kincaid stories...and I usually have a good time with the author's works. But this time his charming autistic helper, Darcy, could not get me past all the extremely graphic violence. The nature of the crimes was, well... yucky. A face melting in French fry fat... told in some detail? No.
Laura Brown
Aug 01, 2015 Laura Brown rated it really liked it
Hooray for the autistic hero! I love the interaction between Darcy O'Bannon and Susan Pulaski. Susan is such an addict and the way the author describes her internal struggle feels authentic. This was a wonderful thriller. It kept me guessing till the end.
Carol
Jun 16, 2016 Carol rated it really liked it
Good story and I like the characters, Susan Pulaski and Darcy, the chief of police's autistic son. They are allowed to change and grow while filling their roles in the story, something I enjoy a lot.
Bree
Sep 29, 2007 Bree rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2007, thriller
LOVED this book. Not what I expected, but it was better than I expected in a way. It was a bit gruesome right off the bat, but even thought it TOLD you who the killer was from the beginning, it still had you wondering what was going on.
Lori Mason
Feb 14, 2008 Lori Mason rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, z2008
Intriguing plot - good characters. Set in Vegas. The main ones are a sort of recovering addict and an autistic savant who are trying to stop the serial killer. Unique serial killer. Only 4 stars because it is very violent. Much more so than I remember his other books.
Charly
Nov 13, 2008 Charly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
This was the first I had read by this author. Like many crime/suspense novels early on you had a sense of where it was going but how he got there was very entertaining.
Wendy
May 19, 2008 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, mystery
The discussions on Caballah were excelllent as are the passages on the complexity of asberger's syndrome.
Andrew Carter
Feb 02, 2016 Andrew Carter rated it really liked it
Susan Pulaski is an interesting character around whom to build a story....and the story is a good one. I enjoyed the book and would recommend it to anyone who feeds on thrillers.
Audrey
Mar 18, 2009 Audrey rated it liked it
A former detective now profiles for the LVPD and uses a young math savant to help her solve a serial murder.
Glenn
Jan 04, 2013 Glenn rated it really liked it
Some good parts and some drag...well written, kept me looking forward to getting back to it. Interesting how it ended but not surprised.
Ricardo
Sep 27, 2011 Ricardo rated it liked it
It was not bad and it was interesting most of the time, but like with his previous book, I felt like the author tried to do too much with the plot and added unnecessary twists
Chip
Dec 30, 2007 Chip rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of the TV show "Numbers"
I enjoyed the central thriller plot in this book, but wa a little distracted by the personal crises of the lead character. It seemed a little disconnected.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Chains of Command
  • Cover-up
  • The Ex
  • All the Lonely People (Harry Devlin, #1)
  • The River Killings (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #2)
  • Three Shirt Deal (Shane Scully, #7)
  • Case of Lies (Nina Reilly #11)
  • Eye of Vengeance
  • Sleight of Hand (Dana Cutler, #4)
  • Uneasy Relations (Gideon Oliver, #15)
  • Still Waters: A Mystery
  • Little Girls Lost (Carson Ryder, #6)
  • Whitewash
  • An Unquiet Grave (Louis Kincaid, #7)
  • Murder Suicide (Frank Clevenger, #5)
  • The Simeon Chamber
I love my job!

William loves his job and it shows in his writing. Library Journal has called him the "master of the courtroom drama;" his books have sold more than ten million copies worldwide. The Vancouver Sun dubbed him "the American equivalent of P.G. Wodehouse and John Mortimer." His novel Dark Eye was a psychological thriller that, in the words of bestselling author Lisa Scottoline, "will chi
More about William Bernhardt...

Susan Pulaski (2 books)
  • Dark Eye (Susan Pulaski, #1)