Start by marking “Primary Justice” as Want to Read:
Primary Justice

Primary Justice (Ben Kincaid #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  689 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Ben Kincaid wanted to be a laywer to do the right thing. But when he takes a hot-shot spot in Tulsa's most prestigious law firm, Ben discovers that doing the right thing and representing his clients' interests can be mutually exclusive--in this explosive legal thriller that brings morality and temptation together in one dangerous motion.
Published December 13th 1991 by Ballantine Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Primary Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Primary Justice

Kathleen
keep trying new authors that Good read recommends -so far a bomb. Does it even notice my ratings?? before it recommends things for me or does it just see that I read it and think I like it???
Kate Woods Walker
This, the first of the Ben Kinkead series of mystery/thriller novels, was a book club choice for me. As an Oklahoman, I enjoyed the representations of North Tulsa, Nichols Hills and even a corporation that slightly resembled the awesomely great Git-n-Go franchise chain. As a reader, I found myself impatient with the the cast of characters who were a bit too gimmicky for my taste.

The denouement was too abrupt, with a couple of loose ends tied up most improbably (Holographic will? Seriously?) but
Otto Penzler
William Bernhardt, is the best-selling author of legal thrillers and suspense novels whose Ben Kincaid series has 17 titles and counting. In Primary Justice, recent law school graduate Ben Kincaid signs on at a large firm in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He soon teams up with the spunky Christina McCall, and the partners are assigned to an adoption case with a dark side: murder, mysterious phone calls, inconsistent financial stories. With a cast of colorful characters, witty humor, and life-like legal cases, ...more
PWRL
May 05, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
Henry Lawrence
A cast of quircky characters help this book as an interesting read. Ben is a new law school grad going to work for a large firm. His supervisor is a bastard and tries to run him out of the firm.
His first assignment is to handle the adoption for one of the executives of the firm's biggest client. Nothing goes well and it becomes a murder case. Ben prevails in the end but he gets fired anyway. His legal assistant, Christina, quits in protest and she continues with him to the next book.
Rick Mason
The first of the Benjamin Kincaid series. This is about a lawyer Ben Kincaid who leaves the DA's office to work at a large prestigious law firm only to discover that his idealism over justice takes a backseat to the corrupt corporate world where justice means who has the most money.

This book got me hooked, and the cast of characters keep you coming back for more. If you like courtroom/procedural thrillers, then this is for you.
Lynne Page
It's been awhile since I had read a Ben Kincaid novel, so I decided to start from the beginning. And since I own all the original books, I simply picked one up from my bookcase. Just like the first time I read one of these novels, I thoroughly enjoyed this mystery. It was full of surprises as well as giving you a sense of what the legal world is all about. I look forward to rereading the entire series.
Joyce McKune
Ben's first day at the new firm, he was given the case of making an adoption happen for a 60's year old childless couple. Clients employer was paying the fee. His first case in front of a judge and he lost the case, but even when his adviser told him to give it up and move on, Ben now not only wanted the widow to get the child back, but find her husbands killer.
Dalia Woodliff
Ben Kincaid leaves his DA's office for a prestigious law firm in Tulsa - facing more temptations, intrigue and a shattered picture of his idealism where justice = money. Bernhardt is definitely the Master of the Courtroom Drama and as an Oklahoman I love the pictures of Tulsa and a corporation which rings a bell of truth in so many ways.!
Rick Ludwig
Although WIlliam Bernhardt suggested that I start later in the series when I met him at the Hawaii Writers Conference in 1999, I am very glad that I took the time to find this first Ben Kincaid. A very enjoyable read with characters that I want to learn more about. I look forward to reading the entire series in order, if possible.
Joy Durham
I like Ben Kincaid, Christina, and the other characters in this series. Bernhardt pulls the end of these mysteries out of the air in a dramatic Perry Mason kind of way, but I like the journey with these characters.
Linda
Didn't finish the book. This book was to unrealistic. The cops call an attorney to identify a body because his business card is found on the man. Really?
Carol Ann
I did not learn anything from this book, but I really enjoyed it. I liked the lead character. Finally a hero who is not filled with self-doubt and is decent.
Dee
This is the first in a series about a young lawyer, Ben Kincaid, starting out in Tulsa, OK.
Lee
Very good first book. Good character development for future books in the series.
Stephanie
Mr. Bernhardt's first novel with Ben Kincaid and he tells an amazing story.
Penny
Really lovable characters. They make you want to know them better.
Nancy
Okay read. Going to try more by him to see if others are better!
Darla
The first novel, what a tale..twisted and good til the end!
Christine
Awesome book. Definitely going to keep reading this series.
Kate
Nice quick read, enjoyable from beginning to end.
Tina
Great legal thriller, read it in a couple hours
Debbie Stone
I felt as if I made a new friend in Ben Kincaid.
Llatta
Llatta marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Frances
Frances is currently reading it
Dec 15, 2014
  • Bury the Lead
  • Special Circumstances (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, Book 1)
  • Compelling Evidence (Paul Madriani, #1)
  • The Legacy
  • Capitol Murder (Dana Cutler, #3)
  • No Lesser Plea (Butch Karp, #1)
  • Flesh & Bones (Jake Lassiter, #7)
  • The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10)
  • Motion to Suppress
  • Motion To Kill (Lou Mason, Mystery #1)
  • Deadly Currents (An RM Outdoor Adventures Mystery, #1)
  • The First Cut (Nan Vining Mysteries, #1)
William loves his job and it shows in his writing. Library Journal has called him the "master of the courtroom drama;" his books have sold more than ten million copies worldwide. The Vancouver Sun dubbed him "the American equivalent of P.G. Wodehouse and John Mortimer." His novel Dark Eye was a psychological thriller that, in the words of bestselling author Lisa Scottoline, "will chill you while i ...more
More about William Bernhardt...
Perfect Justice (Ben Kencaid, #4) Blind Justice: A Novel of Suspense (Ben Kencaid, #2) Naked Justice (Ben Kincaid, #6) Cruel Justice (Ben Kincaid, #5) Capitol Murder: A Novel (Ben Kincaid, #14)