Start by marking “Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible: The New Classic Guide to Delicious Dishes with More Than 300 Recipes” as Want to Read:

A definitive guide to Southern cooking and hospitality with 300 recipes, a two-color interior with nearly 100 instructional illustrations, an extensive appendix, 16 pages of gorgeous color photography, and plenty of tips, stories, and Southern history throughout.

Hi, y’all!

This book is my proudest achievement so far, and I just have to tell y’all why I am so excited about
Published October 11th 2011 by Simon & Schuster

Carol
Aug 20, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
I got this cookbook as a gift a few months before I retired. Until that time I had not been much of a cook, because I travelled for a living. Most of my meals were consumed in restaurants, Southern restaurants, so I developed a love of Southern cooking. I have made nearly every recipe in this book and they are all great. But, beware of the high fat and sugar content of most recipes. I do not suggest that you make every meal, every day from these recipes. As others have commented, it lacks pictur ...more
Alexandra
Dec 30, 2015 Alexandra rated it it was ok
For this being Paila Deen's "bible" I expected a lot more. There were A LOT of recipes, but that's it. I didn't learn anything new. I didn't find any recipes that really stood out. The only thing I remember wanting to try was putting my Cajun seasoning blend on popcorn. That's it. I knew a lot of recipes in here and was happy with the way I make the dishes, or I wasn't interested in the recipes at all. Boring.
Leigh
Dec 14, 2011 Leigh rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This book has gotten some harsh reviews on Amazon and Goodreads. Too few pictures, too many recycled recipes, too much Southern cornball dialogue. Paula Deen said in a recent interview she wants this book to be a staple of every kitchen, like The Joy of Cooking. Well, the book isn't as bad as some say but it isn't ever going to be a staple of every kitchen either. The recipes are interesting and clearly written so you don't need pictures. It does repeat some of her recipes but that's okay. Her p ...more
Jessi
Oct 06, 2011 Jessi rated it liked it
I understand the fact that the title's inclusion of the word "Bible" would imply that this is a collection of Paula's recipes, and you're bound to see some stuff you've seen before. I flipped through this book and only saw a handful of recipes that seemed new to me. And most of those didn't seem very impressive. This makes me quite sad, because when Paula was first rising to fame, I adored her. Everything she made sounded delicious. And I liked what her sons were putting out, too. Recently, thou ...more
Cinnamon
Mar 26, 2012 Cinnamon rated it liked it
I love Southern food. I feel no shame about that, and I think this book hits all the basics. But I can't help but feel that this book uses recipes that ask for more butter than necessary just because butter is awesome, which it is. However I think cutting most recipes that call for butter in half will produce results that are just fine, if not better. I can't speak for how this affects any of the baking recipes though, because I rarely bake I have no idea how that works. However, I did make her ...more
Loni
Nov 13, 2011 Loni rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed sitting down and reading this cookbook. Yes, I am one of those people who actually reads cookbooks, even though I rarely consult a recipe when cooking. I love the easy language of this cookbook and the variety of recipes. It was nice to see many of the recipes revisited from The Lady & Sons cookbooks. The only real complaint I have is I would like more pictures & more of the personal stories that Paula so often has to go with her recipes.
Caity
Nov 14, 2014 Caity rated it it was ok
I originally picked up this book thinking I'd find a perfect fried chicken recipe for my fiance however we both thought the recipe featured for that dish was underwhelming. Overall I found many of the dishes did not seem particularly special or interesting. It is probably a good basic southern cookbook but was not what i was hoping for. The recipes that i was most impressed with where the desserts but otherwise I did not really find anything of interest.
marcia freeman
Mar 15, 2015 marcia freeman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paula delivers a lovely treasure trove!

Paula once again delivers a wonderful treasure trove of recipes, anecdotes and little tidbits of our Southern history. Reading this has taken me back to the years of watching my mother and Granny cook and bake for our large family. Always something fresh from the garden, the Gulf, or the farm, with a precious sweet treat at the end to savor. Thank you Mrs. Paula!
Amy
Jul 26, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, food
I usually do not like cookbooks that do not have a picture to match every recipe, but this book is the exception!

Deen describes her recipes in such detail that a picture is not needed. If an illustration is needed for how to do something (like pit an avocado), it is shown in a drawing. There are pictures of some recipes towards the middle of the book.

Excellent!
Linda
Jan 30, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
One of my favorite Christmas gifts. Each section has an introduction by Paula. The recipes are true down south cooking and easy to follow. My only complaint would be that I wish there had been more color photographs of the various dishes. I love Paula Deen and anything I read by her is like sitting on the porch with a good friend.
Naomi
Dec 25, 2011 Naomi rated it it was amazing
An absolute must have cookbook for when you want some good old southern comfort food. I originally had grabbed this from my library to take a peek (I actually prefer her sons' cookbooks-they are a tad healthier) but couldn't resist this for some of the recipes in there. Plus, all the ones I have done and there have been many have been yummy! I ended up purchasing this cookbook.
Jess
Mar 17, 2015 Jess rated it really liked it
The book is well organized and the recipes are easy to make. I wish there were photos. I don't know why but a lot of the meals I've made from this cookbook have come out rather bland. These seem like basic foods though that I have just been modifying the second time to give them a kick. I have had better luck with the ones in her magazine.
smuug
Apr 18, 2014 smuug rated it did not like it
I love Paula and I am Southern so I was excited to find a book that I thought would have all the old Southern recipes like my momma makes. I thought a lot of it was a bit fancy to be real Southern and why it is a nice book it is not a Southern cooking bible at all. I think Miss Kays is much more one.
Oct 31, 2011 Jennifer rated it did not like it
Lame.

Many repeat recipes from her Lady & Son's cookbooks.

No pictures - a few inserted here and there that you have to search to find which recipe they go with

AND.....lots of credit goes to the co-author....so how much of this did Paula really write?

I sent it back to Amazon.
Maria
Oct 13, 2011 Maria rated it really liked it
Shelves: signed
If you love Southern food, you should get plenty of use from this book. Of course, Paula Deen is not known for her "healthy" recipes, but it's good to indulge now and then. I made the Pumpkin Struesel bread last Thanksgiving and my family LOVED it!
Jennie
Feb 07, 2013 Jennie rated it really liked it
If you're looking for low fat it's not here.

Butterscotch Pretzel Pie? I'm in. Few pictures but a great mix of recipes that could keep you busy for all seasons. I want to try Japanese Fruitcake. Must read. Great gift.
Janene
Feb 23, 2012 Janene rated it really liked it
Big thick cook book wrapped in Paula Deen's wonderful southern charm. Hundreds of recipes, delivered clear & concise. Only complaint: way too few pictures. Love her and live this 'bible' collection of recipes.
Dorena
Jan 13, 2013 Dorena rated it it was amazing
I love the fact that this was written just like she talks: lots of y'all's. I can just hear her reading the recipes to me. Being from the south, there were the same recipes, but I did write down some new ones; Louisiana Fried Corn and Georgia Pound Cake. Thanks, Paula!
Dec 02, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Yum.
Each intro sounds like Paula Deen is in the room talking with you, like friendly neighbors. The cookbook is a mixture of recipes throughout the years; and thank goodness there are some delicious pictures to whet the whistle even more. :)
Falon
Oct 05, 2012 Falon rated it it was amazing
When I am in the mood for home style southern cooking Paula Deen never let's me down! The recipes in this book are delicious and relatively easy to make!
Karen Marchello
May 06, 2016 Karen Marchello rated it it was amazing
Try her Red Velvet cake recipe- wonderful! I made cupcakes out of it. I also didn't use the red food coloring but it is still red because of the chemical reaction between the vinegar and chocolate.
Serena
Nov 11, 2011 Serena rated it it was amazing
I'm almost 30 and can't cook to save my life. Hoping I can pull off most of the recipes that I've book marked. I'm looking forward to trying the fried chicken and banana pudding ones!
Diana Stuart
The recipes are easy to follow. Unfortunately, as with most cookbooks, it missed the mark by not including a picture for every recipe.
Elizabeth
Dec 02, 2011 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Shelves: npr, food
As heard on the NPR Books podcast.

But who has 30 minutes to roll out dumplings?
citizen kerry
Nov 25, 2011 citizen kerry rated it it was amazing
Lots of veggie recipes in here. I don't read cookbooks because i'll cook someday, I like to learn about the lives and philosophies of those who cook.
Jaclyn
Dec 21, 2012 Jaclyn added it
Shelves: 2012, top-chef
This is an excellent book for any chef in your family :) ill be making "The Lady's mac&cheese" for Xmas diner and I can't wait to try the fried chicken!! Desserts also like insane!
Jeanie Mccarthy Pityinger
Jun 25, 2013 Jeanie Mccarthy Pityinger rated it it was amazing
This is AN EXCELLENT book, not only recipes but tips and techniques. I love it - I've never been disappointed by her recipes
Jane Rutherford
Jul 16, 2013 Jane Rutherford rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
I'm strange but I read cookbooks like I read other non-fiction. Some good recipes. Awkward timing with the breaking of Paula's big controversy.
Carrie Simkin
Jan 04, 2012 Carrie Simkin rated it liked it
I'm from the south and found this cookbook charming and full of southern recipes I've enjoyed with a few twists.
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2012
  • The Gourmet Cookie Book: The Single Best Recipe from Each Year 1941-2009
  • Southern Plate: Classic Comfort Food That Makes Everyone Feel Like Family
  • Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen: Recipes from My Family to Yours
  • The Casserole Queens Cookbook: Put Some Lovin' in Your Oven with 100 Easy One-Dish Recipes
  • The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook: Stories and Recipes for Southerners and Would-be Southerners
  • Essentials of Baking: Recipes and Techniques for Successful Home Baking (Williams-Sonoma Essentials)
  • More Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: A Drop-Top Culinary Cruise Through America's Finest and Funkiest Joints
  • Weeknights with Giada: Quick and Simple Recipes to Revamp Dinner
  • Quick & Easy Chinese: 70 Everyday Recipes
  • Screen Doors and Sweet Tea: Recipes and Tales from a Southern Cook
  • Martha Stewart's Dinner at Home: 52 Quick Meals to Cook for Family and Friends
  • The Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook: A Treasury of Timeless, Delicious Recipes
  • Southern Biscuits
  • Cover & Bake
  • Hungry Girl 300 Under 300: 300 Breakfast, Lunches & Dinner Dishes Under 300 Calories
  • The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook : More Than 100 Recipes From the Best Little Bakery In the South
  • Cook Like a Rock Star: 125 Recipes, Lessons, and Culinary Secrets
  • The Book Club Cookbook
Paula Deen (born Paula Ann Hiers) is an American cook, restaurateur, author, actress and Emmy Award-winning television personality.

Deen resides in Savannah, Georgia, where she owns and operates The Lady & Sons restaurant with her sons, Jamie and Bobby Deen. She has also published five cookbooks. Though married in 2004 to Michael Anthony Groover, she continues to use the surname Deen from her f
More about Paula H. Deen...