Start by marking “Osa and Martin: For the Love of Adventure” as Want to Read:
Osa and Martin: For the Love of Adventure

Osa and Martin: For the Love of Adventure

The inspiring story of the legendary couple whose wildlife films transformed America’s perceptions of exotic places.
Published September 1st 2011 by Lyons Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Osa and Martin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Osa and Martin

Jul 07, 2012 Stacia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who like adventure stories, travel narratives, a little slice of Americana (film history)
Shelves: 2012
This is a fairly interesting biography of Osa & Martin Johnson (mainly set from the 1910s to the 1940s), who were known/wildly popular for their photos & films of Africa (& the South Pacific). In addition to their photos, films, lecture circuits, the Johnsons also provided specimens/dioramas used in natural history museums & brought animals to various zoos in the US. Prior to reading this, I had never really thought about the person/people behind the stuffed animal exhibits in mu ...more
Jun 25, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok
I was disappointed in this book. Having spent the last few weeks reading Osa Johnson's own autobiographical works, this just seemed like a very compressed version of her adventures. I was looking for more insight and analysis, a historian's take on Osa and Martin. This only really shows up in the intro and the last chapter. Enright touches on the Johnsons' evolving conservation ethic, but it's just a tease, not a sustained original take or argument on the matter. I'd read the intro and last chap ...more
Jul 09, 2015 Danielle rated it liked it
I think the life of Osa and Martin is fascinating, and I wish that I have heard of them more before I randomly bought this book in Disney World, lol! The problem with this book is that to me it seems more like a summary of Osa's autobiography then an interesting read in of itself. I haven't read "I Married Adventure," but I want to, but that is just the feeling I get. Also the book has really long chapters and that is just a personal pet peeve.
Deb Morgan
Jul 19, 2012 Deb Morgan rated it really liked it
This was a really fun one to discover! Went to hear this local author several months ago with my parents at the downtown KC library where she gave a presentation about her research and this unique couple that has all but been forgotten. They were really ahead of their time, especially Osa herself, traveling to Africa with her husband and documenting the wildlife. At one point she was voted "best dressed" woman of the year. Not bad for a Kansas native from a small town.
Frances Johnson
Jul 16, 2016 Frances Johnson rated it really liked it
Great book about two amazing people. Osa and Martin were adventurers who filmed wild animals in many parts of the world. They were early photographers of animals in Africa and spent many months in a tent. Their work gives one both beautiful photos but exciting written word about life in the jungle.
Sep 19, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
I enjoyed it. I picked it up because of our old Martin & Osa clothing brand at AE. Osa was more interesting than Martin. Ironic that Joseph Conrad was featured in this and I just read one of his novels. I need to get out of the jungle/safari genre!
Jan Cambridge-Lewis
Feb 19, 2013 Jan Cambridge-Lewis rated it liked it
Because I was not particularly familiar with the lives and contributions of Osa and Martin Johnson, I enjoyed reading about their exploits. Fun to learn about famous Kansans. Small World Gallery carries this book because it is part of the Kansas Notable Book collection.
Feb 21, 2013 Marsha rated it liked it
Shelves: africa, biography
Not anything spectacular, but this biography of a pair of adventurers in the '20s and '30s definitely held my interest.
Claudia Mundell
Nov 04, 2011 Claudia Mundell rated it really liked it
This book was good but nothing new to me. Having grown up near Osa and Martin's hometowns, I knew their stories. Amazing things they did in their lifetimes and for the times.
Jo Wilkinson
Aug 13, 2013 Jo Wilkinson rated it liked it
I enjoyed the earlier parts of the book more and would have given it a 4 if it had maintained. They did have an amazing life and saw things most if us never will, if they still exist.
Jun 23, 2014 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Excellent story about early 1900's film making in Africa........when it was still can just "see" the animals in your mind....amazing book! Osa and Martin Johnson were true explorers!
Clif Smith
It was not well-written and was repititious: only the locations changed. Most incidents were usually repeats of earlier ones to a certain degree. I really can't recommend it.
Sarah rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2012
Ronda Stapleford
Ronda Stapleford rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2015
Dawn rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Laura rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Terry rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2013
Carol Havlik
Carol Havlik rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Michelle rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2012
Paul Peterson
Paul Peterson rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Lissa Golden
Lissa Golden rated it did not like it
Oct 06, 2015
Erik Olsen
Erik Olsen rated it liked it
May 03, 2016
Stephanie rated it liked it
May 10, 2013
Jon Swart
Apr 15, 2015 Jon Swart rated it it was amazing
I'd give it 6 stars if I could. Loved it. Didn't want it to end.
Barb rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2014
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2011
Phil Cwiek
Phil Cwiek rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2015
Heidi Miller
Heidi Miller rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2014
Book Duo
Book Duo rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2011
Lisa rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2011
Kelly Enright is the author of Maximum of Wilderness: The Jungle in the American Imagination, Osa and Martin: For the Love of Adventure, America’s Natural Places: Rocky Mountains and Great Plains, and Rhinoceros. Her work focuses on portrayals of nature in American culture, human-animal relationships, museums, and travels. Kelly’s articles have appeared in National Geographic, Environmental Histor ...more
More about Kelly Enright...