Start by marking “Osa and Martin: For the Love of Adventure” as Want to Read:
Osa and Martin: For the Love of Adventure

Osa and Martin: For the Love of Adventure

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The inspiring story of the legendary couple whose wildlife films transformed America’s perceptions of exotic places.
Published September 1st 2011 by Lyons Press (first published August 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Osa and Martin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Osa and Martin

Stacia
Jul 07, 2012 Stacia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who like adventure stories, travel narratives, a little slice of Americana (film history)
Shelves: 2012
This is a fairly interesting biography of Osa & Martin Johnson (mainly set from the 1910s to the 1940s), who were known/wildly popular for their photos & films of Africa (& the South Pacific). In addition to their photos, films, lecture circuits, the Johnsons also provided specimens/dioramas used in natural history museums & brought animals to various zoos in the US. Prior to reading this, I had never really thought about the person/people behind the stuffed animal exhibits in mu ...more
Danielle
I think the life of Osa and Martin is fascinating, and I wish that I have heard of them more before I randomly bought this book in Disney World, lol! The problem with this book is that to me it seems more like a summary of Osa's autobiography then an interesting read in of itself. I haven't read "I Married Adventure," but I want to, but that is just the feeling I get. Also the book has really long chapters and that is just a personal pet peeve.
I was disappointed in this book. Having spent the last few weeks reading Osa Johnson's own autobiographical works, this just seemed like a very compressed version of her adventures. I was looking for more insight and analysis, a historian's take on Osa and Martin. This only really shows up in the intro and the last chapter. Enright touches on the Johnsons' evolving conservation ethic, but it's just a tease, not a sustained original take or argument on the matter. I'd read the intro and last chap ...more
Kathy
Excellent story about early 1900's film making in Africa........when it was still wild....you can just "see" the animals in your mind....amazing book! Osa and Martin Johnson were true explorers!
Deb Morgan
This was a really fun one to discover! Went to hear this local author several months ago with my parents at the downtown KC library where she gave a presentation about her research and this unique couple that has all but been forgotten. They were really ahead of their time, especially Osa herself, traveling to Africa with her husband and documenting the wildlife. At one point she was voted "best dressed" woman of the year. Not bad for a Kansas native from a small town.
Jon Swart
I'd give it 6 stars if I could. Loved it. Didn't want it to end.
Jan Cambridge-Lewis
Because I was not particularly familiar with the lives and contributions of Osa and Martin Johnson, I enjoyed reading about their exploits. Fun to learn about famous Kansans. Small World Gallery carries this book because it is part of the Kansas Notable Book collection.
Amy
I enjoyed it. I picked it up because of our old Martin & Osa clothing brand at AE. Osa was more interesting than Martin. Ironic that Joseph Conrad was featured in this and I just read one of his novels. I need to get out of the jungle/safari genre!
Jo Wilkinson
I enjoyed the earlier parts of the book more and would have given it a 4 if it had maintained. They did have an amazing life and saw things most if us never will, if they still exist.
Clif Smith
It was not well-written and was repititious: only the locations changed. Most incidents were usually repeats of earlier ones to a certain degree. I really can't recommend it.
Claudia Mundell
This book was good but nothing new to me. Having grown up near Osa and Martin's hometowns, I knew their stories. Amazing things they did in their lifetimes and for the times.
Marsha
Not anything spectacular, but this biography of a pair of adventurers in the '20s and '30s definitely held my interest.
PWRL
Sep 17, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
Lauren Cooper
Lauren Cooper marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Lara Jean
Lara Jean marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Rochel
Rochel marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Dawn Webb
Dawn Webb marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Michael Cogliano
Michael Cogliano marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Kaylee Gwyn
Kaylee Gwyn marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Kelly Enright is the author of Maximum of Wilderness: The Jungle in the American Imagination, Osa and Martin: For the Love of Adventure, America’s Natural Places: Rocky Mountains and Great Plains, and Rhinoceros. Her work focuses on portrayals of nature in American culture, human-animal relationships, museums, and travels. Kelly’s articles have appeared in National Geographic, Environmental Histor ...more
More about Kelly Enright...
Rhinoceros The Maximum of Wilderness: The Jungle in the American Imagination Osa and Martin America's Natural Places: Rocky Mountains And Great Plains Maximum of Wilderness