Criminal Conversation

Criminal Conversation

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  15 reviews
An explosive and erotic novel of psychosexual suspense from bestselling author Evan Hunter--penned with all the excitement of the world-famous Ed McBain mysteries. This dangerous tale tells of a young and ambitious district attorney who almost nails a mob leader for murder when the truth comes terribly close to home.
Published December 31st 1994 by Warner Books (NY) (first published April 1st 1994)

Ed
I re-read this book a few years ago but I first read it when I was in high school. Now, if I read anything in high school without a gun to my head, that meant it held my interest. If I were to outline the story here, it would all sound very familiar. But Hunter knows how to tell a story and get the hell on with it. Too many other authors fall too in love with their tangential prose and take me out of the story. This book presents three characters who are fascinating and deeply flawed. I can't be...more
Quillracer
This was a book that haunted me long after I finished reading it.
Michelle
It was an okay and so-so book, not so exciting to read. I got bored reading, it has plenty of conversations.. as the book indicated....lol.

Story plot:
A good wife, mother and teacher named Sarah Welles loves her husband, Michael who works as a lawyer in the DA's office. Her husband, Michael is trying to catch the new boss of one of New York's most powerful crime families. Sarah went on a vacation without Michael and a chance meeting with Andrew Farrell, a handsome mysterious stranger who happens...more
J.A. Callan
Decent book, simple storyline, but it's delivered with an expert hand by Hunter. The book is in dire need of some serious editing in places (I found the parts with Mollie and Winona to be utterly pointless and weak as apparent subplots). There's a lot of characters, a lot of mob guys and detectives who unfortunately end up faceless due to the rate in which they are thrown at us, and it comes to a stage then where I was grateful for Hunter clarifying each character later on in the book whenever t...more
Steve Goble
A very suspenseful story, as to be expected, with a fair amount of sex in the mix. It's a mob story, though, and as such it is rather bleak. People do dumb things for "love," and others get hurt. Even the subplots are downers.

This book also has a plot that hinges too much on coincidence.
Dannye
The problem for me with this book was the complexity of the mob connections that dominated the first part of the book before a real connection was made with the characters for the reader.

Once I got into the book, it did pick up speed. Of course, few books grab your attention on the first pages, but usually you're not overwhelmed by a lengthy recounting of "who's on first and what's on second" and who did what to whom before you even feel any emotion about who did what to whom.
Bev
I read this years ago and it was terrific. Intrigue, mystery, crime, sex....has it all. Highly recommended for those who like multi-layered books, great writing and surprise endings.
One book that I reread.

Evan Hunter also writes as Ed McBain the 87th precinct mysteries.
Joan
This is an early book by this author. His later books (especially the ones written as Ed McBain) are much better. In addition to a confusing plot, the extreme and constant vulgarity was almost impossible for me to get past.
Morris
I would not recommend this book, unbelievable characters especially the 12 year old and her mother.
doug bowman
A clever precept, artfully done by an under-appreciated writer.
Rod Zemke
The plot line was thin, but Hunter is still a good writer.
Whimsical
Easy read! It was exciting and suspenseful.
Vixen201
I was disappointed in this book.
Toesnorth's mom
filthy, but good parts
Karen
This is an interesting book. I don't usually think about the books I read after, but this makes me wonder about the nature/nuture thin
Michael Lipsky
Michael Lipsky marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Ig-88
Ig-88 marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Anita
Anita marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Denise MacDonald
Denise MacDonald marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Kme_17
Kme_17 marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Cloisterphobe
Cloisterphobe marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Better known by his pseudonym Ed McBain.

Born Salvatore Albert Lombino, he legally adopted the name Evan Hunter in 1952. While successful and well known as Evan Hunter, he was even better known as Ed McBain, a name he used for most of his crime fiction, beginning in 1956.
More about Evan Hunter...
The Blackboard Jungle Candyland Last Summer The Moment She Was Gone Lizzie