Start by marking “Criminal Conversation” as Want to Read:
Criminal Conversation

Criminal Conversation

An explosive and erotic novel of psychosexual suspense from bestselling author Evan Hunter--penned with all the excitement of the world-famous Ed McBain mysteries. This dangerous tale tells of a young and ambitious district attorney who almost nails a mob leader for murder when the truth comes terribly close to home.
Published December 1st 1994 by Warner Books (NY) (first published April 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Criminal Conversation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Criminal Conversation

Nina Draganova
Mar 05, 2017 Nina Draganova rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Не четете книгата през нощта :)
Започва не много обещаващо, но набира скорост до степен на задъхване.
И те оставя да си трепериш и след като си я прочел.
Тип "Кръстникът", което не личи съвсем от анотацията.
Стилът е малко остарял, но не е дразнещ.
Хареса ми тази мисъл : " Никога не позволявай другите да разберат,че причината за някое твое решение е слабостта ти."

И констатацията : "Американци пъплеха по цялото земно кълбо, търсейки своята идентичност, която не можеха да намерят в собствената си родин
Ed
Apr 29, 2009 Ed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I re-read this book a few years ago but I first read it when I was in high school. Now, if I read anything in high school without a gun to my head, that meant it held my interest. If I were to outline the story here, it would all sound very familiar. But Hunter knows how to tell a story and get the hell on with it. Too many other authors fall too in love with their tangential prose and take me out of the story. This book presents three characters who are fascinating and deeply flawed. I can't be ...more
Quillracer
Jul 15, 2012 Quillracer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a book that haunted me long after I finished reading it.
Michelle
Jan 07, 2010 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It was an okay and so-so book, not so exciting to read. I got bored reading, it has plenty of conversations.. as the book indicated....lol.

Story plot:
A good wife, mother and teacher named Sarah Welles loves her husband, Michael who works as a lawyer in the DA's office. Her husband, Michael is trying to catch the new boss of one of New York's most powerful crime families. Sarah went on a vacation without Michael and a chance meeting with Andrew Farrell, a handsome mysterious stranger who happens
Joe
May 08, 2014 Joe rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Decent book, simple storyline, but it's delivered with an expert hand by Hunter. The book is in dire need of some serious editing in places (I found the parts with Mollie and Winona to be utterly pointless and weak as apparent subplots). There's a lot of characters, a lot of mob guys and detectives who unfortunately end up faceless due to the rate in which they are thrown at us. It's far from brilliant, but if you're looking for an easy read that is enjoyable and intense, then "Criminal Conversa ...more
Ray
Aug 06, 2012 Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read "Criminal Conversation" about 20 years ago, and I really enjoyed it. I came across it again recently. Evan Hunter writes great dialogue. The read is a quick one, not a lot of description, just good 'hard-edged' dialogue. The story deals with a sharp District Attorney's investigation of a young 'mob boss', who just happens to be having an affair with the DA's wife. Complications abound. Solid writing here from the author of the '87th Precinct' police mysteries, writing under the pseudonym ...more
Dannye
Jan 10, 2010 Dannye rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The problem for me with this book was the complexity of the mob connections that dominated the first part of the book before a real connection was made with the characters for the reader.

Once I got into the book, it did pick up speed. Of course, few books grab your attention on the first pages, but usually you're not overwhelmed by a lengthy recounting of "who's on first and what's on second" and who did what to whom before you even feel any emotion about who did what to whom.
Andrew Carter
Jan 16, 2016 Andrew Carter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah and Andrew enter into a torrid affair....he doesn't know that she is married to the Assistant DA who is investigating organized crime (Andrew in particularly) and she doesn't know that he is the head of one of the biggest racketeering families in the northeast. The story unfolds as you might imagine with a surprise ending.
Bev
Apr 14, 2013 Bev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this years ago and it was terrific. Intrigue, mystery, crime, sex....has it all. Highly recommended for those who like multi-layered books, great writing and surprise endings.
One book that I reread.

Evan Hunter also writes as Ed McBain the 87th precinct mysteries.
Steve Goble
A very suspenseful story, as to be expected, with a fair amount of sex in the mix. It's a mob story, though, and as such it is rather bleak. People do dumb things for "love," and others get hurt. Even the subplots are downers.

This book also has a plot that hinges too much on coincidence.
Joan
Jul 19, 2013 Joan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is an early book by this author. His later books (especially the ones written as Ed McBain) are much better. In addition to a confusing plot, the extreme and constant vulgarity was almost impossible for me to get past.
Morris
Jun 02, 2011 Morris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I would not recommend this book, unbelievable characters especially the 12 year old and her mother.
Rod Zemke
The plot line was thin, but Hunter is still a good writer.
Vixen201
Jun 04, 2013 Vixen201 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed in this book.
Maxandmo
Dec 30, 2016 Maxandmo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! I wish they'd make this into a movie!
Toesnorth's mom
filthy, but good parts
Whimsical
Aug 05, 2011 Whimsical rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Easy read! It was exciting and suspenseful.
Joni
Jan 16, 2016 Joni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Karen
This is an interesting book. I don't usually think about the books I read after, but this makes me wonder about the nature/nuture thin
Bill Garrison
Bill Garrison rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2011
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2012
Ety
Ety rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2015
angela thorpe
angela thorpe rated it did not like it
Mar 24, 2010
Stephane Petit-Clerc
Stephane Petit-Clerc rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2015
Jordan
Jordan rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2014
Paul Chase
Paul Chase rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2010
Paola Turner
Paola Turner rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2013
Sam
Sam rated it it was ok
Feb 10, 2015
Bernard
Bernard rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Marc
Marc rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: Books so Far in Feb 1 4 Feb 06, 2012 12:08PM
  • The Killing Gift
  • Pints & Purls: Portable Projects for the Social Knitter
  • Whistler's Angel
  • The Devil on Lammas Night
  • Murder at the Mendel (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #2)
  • The Science of Love and Betrayal
  • Vrijdag
  • Relics (Brother Petroc, #1)
  • Conflict of Interest
  • Piranhas
  • City of Ice
  • Recipe for Rebellion (Zodiac Girls, #2)
  • Lucifer
  • Der Nobelpreis
  • Perestroika: New Thinking for Our Country and the World
  • All Fall Down
  • Cruise
  • Hard Fall
Better known by his pseudonym Ed McBain.

Born Salvatore Albert Lombino, he legally adopted the name Evan Hunter in 1952. While successful and well known as Evan Hunter, he was even better known as Ed McBain, a name he used for most of his crime fiction, beginning in 1956.
More about Evan Hunter...