Start by marking “The Third Eye” as Want to Read:
The Third Eye

The Third Eye

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,939 Ratings  ·  125 Reviews
This is his story, a hauntingly beautiful and deeply inspiring journ
Published January 8th 1991 by Mandarin (first published 1956)

Natalie
Oct 30, 2010 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
oh my goodness. i can't believe this book is on good reads. my brother and i read it when we were both a little too young and took every single word at face value. just rediscovered it during a trip home. weird, wild, magical and mystical adventures - astral projections, flying, third eyes, YES. at the time we were totally sucked in and on board, ready to go on mystical journeys in tibet ourselves. i'm afraid some of the luster might be gone with the cynicism that settles once one is no longer 1 ...more
Kuldip S Attalia
I was first introduced to Lobsang Rampa by a Freind in Nairobi, Kenya. He treated his book like a secret Bible and would not let it out of his sight. So i could only read it a few pages at a time. So, finally went to Mc Millian's Library and read the book. (Loved it to Bits & was hooked by its charm of Astral Travelling.)

Finally, Oneday I took the courage and mentioned it to my Dad, Who wasted no time in buying the complete collection.
The writer claimed to be a reincarnation of a Tibetian la
Alejandra
May 28, 2013 Alejandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Supongo que nunca sabremos a ciencia cierta si el libro es enteramente real o no, por todas las investigaciones alrededor del autor y lo poco que conocemos de la cultura en Tíbet.
Pero al poner en duda su autenticidad me siento como el típico ciudadano occidental que tiene que ver que cada cosa sea comprobada científicamente para creerla, el típico occidental que es tan mencionado en el libro.
Independientemente del nivel de veracidad de este libro, la historia me mantuvo pensando todo el tiempo
Kari
Feb 09, 2010 Kari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't judge a book by its cover!
When I first saw this cover I thought - WEIRD!
But after the first 2 chapters I was hooked. It is an amazing true story of a Tibetan Lama (monk). This books takes you to a world that is so foreign to our way of thinking. I highly recommend it!
Steve
Feb 19, 2009 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book more than I know. I read it and reread it at times when I'm feeling low or depressed. It's more or less a coming of age novel about a young boy of high class thrown out of his house by his stern father to become a monk. He is initiated into the higher order and taught the most secretive occult powers of tibet.

I wish I could find the book right now. I don't think my review is any good. Read the book. There's a lot of spirituality and aura perception as well as astral traveling.
Steven Phelps
Trepanation (drilling into the skull) is real, as are a few of the other practices outlined by "T. Lobsang Rampa" (not his real name), but the vast majority of the work is fiction. Rampa was part of a publishing bandwagon that sought to capitalize on the growing interest in medition, buddhism, reincarnation, and the new age movement in general. For years, nobody knew this was a hoax - it's a fun read, but if you're looking for more accurate information about mediation, seek elsewhere.
Roger Norman
Mar 15, 2012 Roger Norman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The book was first published in 1956 and I remember it being a favourite during the 60s occultist wave. It always carried a kind of question mark because of the accusations that it was a hoax, which the publishers discussed in their foreword at that time. The writer was apparently an Englishman (Cyril Henry Hoskins) who had never been to Tibet and knew nothing about the place or its beliefs. He claimed to have been 'taken over' mind and soul by the Tibetan Lama, Tuesday Lobsang Rampa, who was th
Saloni Mehra
One thing that can be said for sure about this book is that it offers a fascinating look into the Tibetan philosophy and religion through the eyes of the author. Tuesday Lobsang Rampa elaborates upon his own life as a Lama, and reveals information about the human existence and powers which is both hard to accept and refute. The purpose and manner of human life, through the author's perspective is hard to chew on yet has a quality of believability about itself. The portions in the book which talk ...more
Michael Lauro
I read this book as a teenager and i thought it was great. Only later did I learn that it's not written by a Tibetan monk but rather (if I remember correctly) and ex-plumber from the UK. Still, it's a pretty good read.
Sandi Mann
Oct 05, 2014 Sandi Mann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sandi by: my brother
this is about the 4th or 5th time I've read this book. first got it from my brother about 40 years ago.

if it's true, it's an incredible story... if fiction, even MORE so!
Mckinley
This starts out with an odd introduction, the author Cyril Henry Hoskin states he is experiencing the memories and life of the reincarnate T. Lobsang Rampa. I found this a fun and amusing book of occult; I enjoyed the descriptions of childhood and life in Chakpori Lamasery in Tibet in the early 1900s. I started getting a bit confused about some of the explanations of Buddhist doctrines he provides. There's quite a mash-up of religious and spiritual beliefs going on. Overall, much of the occult a ...more
Liza Rosas
May 30, 2010 Liza Rosas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it at 16 and started me out on Tibetan Buddhism...still have my trepidations...i remember quite well those astral journeys...some form of kite that would take you across spaces....then i learned the other side of the story...the English writer...however; he warns us as we read on, that we can choose to believe it ...i chose to believe it in a belated fashion...then all that Tibet frenzy came...the political game with China that placed it in the center of it all... and all the monks unaccust ...more
Buscando Un camino
Sus libros fueron muy polémicos debido a lo que describió en ellos. En su tercer libro, por ejemplo, declaró haber sido poseído por el espíritu de un lama tibetano fallecido. El nombre Tuesday (martes en inglés) está relacionado con la afirmación de que los tibetanos de clase alta son nombrados de acuerdo al día en que nacieron.

Tengo que decir que hay una parte buena y otra mala del libro… pero en el fondo me vence más la mala de ahí la nota que le he puesto. Está bien porque es una manera de in
Febry
Oct 01, 2007 Febry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Okay,....how to put it?

Well, this writer is a fraud, he said that this book is his biography, in this book he said that he is a Tibetian monk, knew Dalai Lama very well, etc.....
But actually he is not.....

There have been an "international court" that state this man as a fraud.

But still as a fictional.... this book is very good.

Note: For his stroy i give him 5 star, but because of his lie i give him 3 star.

-----
Febry
-----
Thampy.2 Thampy
Apr 10, 2009 Thampy.2 Thampy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book a long time ago in 6th grade when my brother brought it from the Max Mueller Institute. Was extremely puzzled and captivated by the story.
Serenity
Jul 12, 2016 Serenity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The critics can say what they want, but this book is one that has been around since the 1950's, opened the Western world to the then-totally alien culture of Tibet, and opened my eyes to a beautiful peace-loving people that has stayed with me my entire life since reading this book.

It is one of the most unique books I have ever read. If you want something unique & fascinating to read that will transport you to a different realm of thinking than you may ever have experienced ever before, this
Shinta Devy
Jan 21, 2015 Shinta Devy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love this book. I have read re-read it countless times. This book, an autobiography, explains a life and culture of Tibetan people in an innocent way, I think. The Author, Lobsang Rampa, put his thoughts and opinion about his childhood in a childlike-mind. How in 7 years of age he had to go out from his comfortable home and enter this monastery where he was trained to be priest-doctor. From a little boy who loves to play kite and receive strict education at home, he had to literally mov ...more
Derya
Sep 15, 2012 Derya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-reading
Üçüncü Göz, 1950'li yıllarda yazılmış ve kısa sürede çok satar olmuş bir kitap. Ama aynı zamanda bu denli ilgi çekmiş olmasının sonucu olarak şaibeyle karşılanmış, tartışılmış, hatta yazar sahtekarlıkla da suçlanmış. Kitabın konusu, soylu bir ailenin çocuğu olarak Tibet'te dünyaya gelen Lobsang'ın 7 yaşında bir Tibet manastırına verildikten sonra bir lama olmak üzere yetiştirilme öyküsü. Tibet inançları doğrultusunda reenkarnasyon, üçüncü göz, duru görü gibi "doğaüstü" olarak adlandırdığımız bir ...more
Fractalhead
May 06, 2013 Fractalhead rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Selama beberapa lama melihatnya di rak perpustakaan, aku tidak tertarik untuk membacanya.. kupikir ini buku spiritual semacam karangan Anand Khrisna yang bagiku pribadi membosankan. Setelah tidak menemukan buku yg kucari, aku mencoba membuka halaman buku ini. ternyata, isinya sangat menarik perhatian. walaupun ini semacam autobiography, tapi buku ini mirip novel fiksi. Kehidupan penduduk di Tibet, dan suasana eksotis & mistis kehidupan para biksu di kuil terbangun lewat penuturan T. Lobsang ...more
Zikrianto Muhammad
Saya bisa membayangkan keindahan alam Tibet di buku ini. Sangat bermanfaat. Bisa jadi bahan renungan. Walaupun kadang si Dalai Lama terasa sangat selfies. Menyuarakan kabaikan, kesederhanaan, welas asih tapi terasa sangat jelas kebencian pada dunia Barat yang sangat berlawanan dari nilai kebaikan yang dianjurkannya. Namanya juga manusia pasti ada kesalahannya. Walaupun ada aja yang masih mendewakan Dalai Lama hehehe :)
Bettie☯
Description: T. Lobsang Rampa was preordained to be a Tibetan priest, a sign from the stars that could not be ignored. When he left his wealthy home to enter the monastery, his heart was filled with trepidation, with only a slight knowledge of the rigorous spiritual training and physical ordeal that awaited him . . . .
This is his story, a hauntingly beautiful and deeply inspiring journey of awakening within Chakpori Lamasery, the temple of Tibetan medicine. It is a moving tale of passage through
Isma
Sorprendente. Yo lo leí sin saber la historia del fontanero. Hasta un cierto punto en la lectura, la historia era creíble, al fin y al cabo habla de tradiciones tibetanas de las cuales poco se conoce. Pero llegado un momento salta a la fantasía y se hace obvio que es una fábula. De cualquier modo, me resultó gratamente sorprendente y entretenido.
Pipe Catalán cifuentes
Habia algo en este libro que me llamo la atención , la cultura tibetana es un misterio aún para mi y para muchos .
Lobsang nos cuenta su historia como monje tibetano , y Lama un relato lleno de vida , lleno de esperanza , lleno de cultura .
El tercer ojo puede incluso unos de los mejores libros que eh leido en mis 18 años .
Gracias Lobsang por contarnos ru historia.
Zorba
Jun 18, 2013 Zorba rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Zorba by: Nobody
للقارئ الحق في تصديق او عدم تصديق ما كتبه لوبسانج رامبا.

هو راهب بوذي من التبت، يكتب عن حياته وعن الاسرار "المذهلة" المتعلقة بالديانة البوذية والتبت بشكل خاص.

الكتاب مترجم للعربية، ورده الفعل الاولية عند اغلبية من سيقراء الكتاب هو التكذيب وإعتبار كل ما ذكره مجرد هراء وكذب...لكن اوليست جميع الكتب الدينية هكذا؟
اقصد أنها جميعاً تتكلم عن المعجزات لخارقة..وهذا الكتاب يتكلم عن معجزات بوذيه، وبالتالي فما لا يصدقه المسلم عن البوذيه فهناك بوذي لن يصدق معجزات إسلاميه مثلاً..وهكذا!

عموماً بعيداً عن التصديق وا
Johannes Tammekänd
An absolute must read for anybody who wishes to know more about Tibet and it's ancient traditions, it's esoteric (for western people) view of the world and many of it's secrets. I absolutely loved it and now I have a dream to go to Tibet because with every page I turned I just felt that my heart belongs to there.
Sutresna
Nov 15, 2014 Sutresna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kereeeeenn!

Otobiografi ini bikin saya makin tertarik dengan Tibet. Buku yang ditulis langsung oleh Lama yang sedari kecil dididik untuk menjalani kehidupan biara yang keras.

Cerita soal bagaimana orang tibet dikubur, apa saja makanan para rahib di biara, perjalanan pegunungan di atas ketinggian lebih dari 4500 meter, kebudayaan orang tibet yang tidak memakai benda berbentuk roda, pertemuan dengan Yeti, perjalanan astral serta macam-macam kekuatan metafisika, aduuh semuanya mengundang minat saya.

P
Michael
Feb 10, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Completely enthralling and captivating. An open mind is required for reading this book. Much of this content will fascinate the mind of any person. A spiritual reader will feel right at home. Regardless, the stories are vivid and overall it makes the book for a real page turner. A well written read.
Rosalinda Sanquiche
Might be fiction rather than autobiography, but there is deep truth in the FEEL of the book. I'm glad I read it when I was in middle school. I needed to know there were many other ways of living and that suffering could lead to something greater.
Ruth Santana Valencia
A pesar de la historia/mito/"fraude" del autor el libro es innovador (publicado 1956) toca temas como videncia, muerte, reencarnación, budismo, de forma fácil y ligera.
Descubrí que mi papá tiene más títulos del autor quede invitada a continuar leyéndolo
Frans Layanto
Jul 02, 2010 Frans Layanto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
Recommended to Frans by: I search it myself
Saya adalah salah seorang pengagum Lobsang Rampa dan sudah baca semua karangan beliau. Memang banyak kontroversi mengenai Lobsang Rampa, dan umumnya yang punya konotasi negatif terhadap Lobsang Rampa cuma membaca satu atau dua judul saja dan juga tak punya latar belakang spiritual/metafisika yang memadai. Saya sendiri berupaya supaya konotasi negatif itu dapat terhapus dengan cara mencoba menterjemahkan karya-karya tersebut dalam bahasa Indonesia. Bisa dilihat di situs saya www.mataketiga.co.cc/ ...more
Heathens, Pagans ...: Lobsang Rampa 15 32 Apr 02, 2013 09:45AM
  • The Bhagavadgita
  • The Secret of the Soul: Using Out-of-Body Experiences to Understand Our True Nature
  • Thought-Forms
  • Astral Dynamics: A New Approach to Out-of-Body Experiences
  • How to Know Higher Worlds: A Modern Path of Initiation (Classics in Anthroposophy)
  • A Guide for the Advanced Soul: A Book of Insight Tag - Hold a Problem in Your Mind
  • Doa Sang Katak 1: Meditasi Dengan Cerita
  • Ringen sluttet
  • The Voice of the Silence: Being Extracts from the Book of the Golden Precepts
  • Ultimate Journey
  • The Finding of the Third Eye
  • Fireflies: A Collection of Proverbs, Aphorisms and Maxims
  • Money, Sex, War, Karma: Notes for a Buddhist Revolution
  • Rescue Ferrets at Sea (The Ferret Chronicles, #2)
  • Call Me by My True Names: The Collected Poems
  • Thoughts and Meditations
  • The Philosophies of Asia: Edited Transcripts (Love of Wisdom)
  • The Fourth Way
Born Cyril Henry Hoskin, Lobsang Rampa died in Calgary, AB, at the age of 70.
His best known work, The Third Eye, was published in 1956 in the UK. It was presented as "The Autobiography of a Tibetan Lama", but Clifford Burgess, a Liverpool private detective, found that Hoskin had never been to Tibet, and spoke no Tibetan.
The Dalai Lama wrote that "We do not place credence in the books written by Dr
More about Tuesday Lobsang Rampa...

“El camino más fácil no es siempre el mejor.” 14 likes
“Pero recordé que no estamos aquí porque nos guste, sino para aprender cosas, lo mismo que no se va a la escuela porque sea divertido, sino para ilustrarse; y ¿qué es la vida en la tierra sino una escuela?” 8 likes