Instant Replay

Instant Replay

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  1,013 ratings  ·  45 reviews
In 1967, when Jerry Kramer was a thirty-one-year-old Green Bay Packers offensive lineman, in his tenth year with the team, he decided to keep a diary of the season. "Perhaps, by setting down my daily thoughts and observations," he wrote, "I'll be able to understand precisely what it is that draws me back to professional football." Working with the renowned journalist Dick...more
Published April 1st 1969 by Signet (first published 1968)

Steve
In its day, this was a very popular book. This was due in large part to a masterstroke in marketing -- it was packaged with a razor and sold in every drugstore in America. And of course as a sports-crazed kid, I had to see what it was all about.

It was an interesting inside account. (In fact, when you're going for kind of thing, it doesn't get much more inside than an interior lineman's perspective.) Anyway, there were some great stories about Vince Lombardi and some of the Packers' star players...more
matt

This was an amazing book. I remembered it inadvertently while walking into an elevator the other day and just had to add it. I really loved this book when I read it as a football-obsessed kid (maybe 12 or so) and I was startled by remembering how much I remembered of it and how articulate and thoughtful he really was.

I remember how he describes training camp and how Lombardi made all the tryouts get up and sing in front of everybody- to test their meddle or something, I'm not sure. But it's a br...more
Donald
Oct 12, 2007 Donald rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Sports Fans
"Instant Replay" is a fascinating look, in journal form, at an NFL season, through the eyes of veteran Green Bay Packer guard Jerry Kramer. Kramer had been an integral part of the great Packer championship teams of the 1960s, and as he relates the story of a disappointing season without legendary Coach Vince Lombardi (who had stepped down after the previous Super Bowl to move into the front office), it's hard not to get a bit misty- eyed at times. "Instant Replay" is a great book for a limited a...more
Jason
For as much as I love the Packers, I've avoided this book for whatever reason -- probably because books written by athletes invariably suck. I'm not sure how much of this was actually Kramer and how much was ghostwritten by Dick Schaap, but this is as good of Packers/Lombardi book as I've read. Particularly fascinating was the amount of racism present -- both implied and overt. Makes sense considering this was the late '60s, but it's something that rarely comes up when you hear about the gilded...more
David
This has always been one of my favorite books. It's the diary written by Jerry Kramer, an offensive lineman during the Lombardi years in Green Bay, during Lombardi's final season as coach. I still have the promotional paperback copy that was distributed with Personna razor blades and that I read as an 8-year-old in third grade. You may have to look around in a second-hand bookshop to find a copy these days but if you do find one, snap it up! It's one of the best sports books you'll ever read.
Bill
"When I look back upon the 1967 season,...

...I remember a very special spirit, a rare camaraderie, something I can't quite define, but something I've tried to capture in this diary." Jerry Kramer

Spirit - camaraderie - achievement - teamwork, this book has it all with nothing held back - a great book about the NFL for any sports fan!

p.s., will someone please look at the accomplishments of Jerry Kramer and get this guy into the NFL Hall of Fame.
Geoff
When I played high school football, my favorite team was the Green Bay Packers. I [layed right guard and Jerry Kramer was my hero. Not some wimpy quarterback. So of course I loved this book. But, as it turns out, the book was pretty well written, and given that the Pack won the SuperBowl that year, makes for a good story.
John Karp
One of my all time favorite books. Read this back when I was 10. Great candid insight into the coaches and players of the Green Bay Packers of the 1960s. If you're a Packers fan, I say this is a must read. If you just love sports (football), this is a great read.
Padraic
The reason I still wear a Packers cap; also the reason I've never watched a complete NFL game since 1967 and the Ice Bowl. How do you climb higher than the top?
Jack Hansen
Read this when I was a young man with dreams of becoming a professional football player. Jerry Kramer's diary gave me an insight into the commitment needed to meet the requirements of a professional. The work ethic, especially playing for the legend, Vincent Lombardi, wass obvious as Kramer described the practice and classroom sessions needed to be a champion. Jerry Kramer also talks about his private life in the book, somewhat, noting the hobbies and friends he and his family shared. I enjoyed...more
John Roylance
If you like the Packers or football you'll love this book. Tons of great stories about the Lombardi era Packers.
Dave
Loved this book. Right up there with the Jim Brown and Lombardi bios that I read around the same time.
Tom Gase
My friends know that I read a lot of autobiographies of athletes that weren't really THAT great (See Eric Davis, Wayne Chrebet) because I get their books for a buck at book fairs. I also got this book for a buck at book fair, but what a gem it turned out to be.

I always see this book on lists of the greatest sports books of all time, so I figured it was time I read it. It's basically just a diary of Green Bay Packers offensive lineman Jerry Kramer of the 1967 football season, in which the Packers...more
Oliver Bateman
Kramer's Instant Replay, though not nearly as controversial as Jim Bouton's Ball Four or as thought-provoking as Dave Meggyesy's Out of Their League, rises above the level of outdated period piece by virtue of its tremendous narrative. Kramer didn't exactly "write" the script that culminated in climactic showdowns against the LA Rams and the Dallas Cowboys (the latter in the famous 1967 "Ice Bowl" NFC Championship), but he certainly participated in its creation, up to and including providing the...more
Michael Vincent
A wonderful read which teaches much about old-school football, toughness, leadership, relationships and life. Loved it except for some of the language. This book won't help the owners in the current lawsuit by NFL players for the coaches wanting the players to play hurt and take drugs. I believe Kramer said that Lombardi was a better healer than Oral Roberts (p. 42). He'd just walk into the training room and say "you're not hurt" and the room would clean out.
Jeff
I am not and never have been a Packers fan but I have always loved this book. It is old time football when players played the game for the thrill of winning and spent their off seasons selling insurance.

The book started as the diary of Jerry Kramer, Packers all pro guard, and details the 1967 season for the Packers culminating in the second Super Bowl. Kramer, with an assist by sportswriter Dick Schapp, turned the diary into a page turning book with perhaps the first true look inside a professi...more
Russ Venables
Truly a sports classic, I lived the season with Jerry. He was able to convey what it's like to be part of a team. He reminded me of all the feelings of my distant past. Of teammates overbearing but loved coaches and the lengths atheletes will good for the love of their game. Oh and MONEY!
Gerry
It's cold in Green Bay and often Jerry Kramer does not feel like practising but he is a Green Bay Packer and the will to win and continue always prevails. Especially with someone like Coach Lombardi in the background. The diary records the events of the 1967 season when Green Bay became champions of the National Football League for the second successive year, winning Superbowl Two. Amusing and informative, the camaraderie of being in such a side shines through and thank goodness Green Bay did wi...more
Ron
While I was a native of Chicago, my family moved to northern WI the Autumn after the Packers won their second Super Bowl. I was quickly forced to become steeped in the lore of the mighty Green and Gold, the greatest franchise in the history of football--and perhaps any other sport--and was soon awed by the tales of the men who played the game. Kramer pulled no punches and much of the material was beyond what an 8th grader should have been reading, but it was one hell of an education for this you...more
Rick
Don't understand why this guy isn't in the football hall of fame. Hell of a player and great writer. Totally loved the book.
David Ward
Instant Replay by Jerry Kramer (Doubleday 1968)(Biography). this is the original memoir by former NFL All-Pro offensive guard Jerry Kramer of the 1960's era Green Bay Packers. He played for legendary Coach Vince Lombardi, whose Packer teams won the first two Super Bowl games. This is the first and likely still the best football memoir by an offensive lineman. I loved this book growing up and considered the author to be one of my role models. My rating: 7/10, finished 1971.
Matt
I checked this out of the public library in the 1970s. Although I never knew of the early Packer Glory years, I did watch them in their two super bowl wins. What a team.

Kramer will never win a Pulitzer prize for his writing but it gives a nice vanilla look to those great packers.

I read this so long ago that I might check around to fins it and for a re-read.

================

3/24/10

I recently found a copy at a used book store. It's still as cool as ever.
Paul
Makes me wonder why anyone admires Lombardi.
Adam K
This is Jerry Kramer's diary from the 1967 Green Bay Packers season. Very insightful and candid look at the Lombardi years!!! He mentions that the wilder Packers would give him a hard time for not including their late-night Green Bay exploits (although he does talk about hitting up Century Lanes a lot, which is cool), so I'm gonna search for one of their books if I can...
Tyler
This book is awesome for anyone who would like to know what football was like back in the day.It was not glamorous they put it out on the line risking injuries.It was brutal back then they didnt have all the equipment they have now. Mostly i really liked it because of the great details they put in the book it was like they retold all the important stories.
Owen
This was the first adult book I ever read. My mother was concerned about the language and content, but I think Mr. Kramer would blush if her heard what people say on TV about football today. It made the Packers forever my second favorite team (Stiller fan forever) and set the bar for future athletes writing (I don't think I read a better one until Agassi)
Timothy
jerry kramer played for the 1960s multi-championship-winning green bay packers, and this book is the compilation of his 1966 football season, when green bay won Superbowl I. it is funny. also found the wisdom imparted upon kramer and his team by coach vince lombardi to be very inspiring to me personally. "think win!"
Paul
Great book about the 60's Packers. I good look into the lives of the players and what it took to be the best in the NFl. The best Packers/Lombardi book in my humble opinion would be "When Pride Mattered". A more personal and intimate look at Lombardi's life before, during and after the Packers.
Maria Evers
As a die-hard Packerfan, I really enjoyed this book. It took place when I was just an infant but I remember hearing the names of these great Packer players of the past. It gave me an insight I didn't have before about Vince Lombardi and the people who played during their champion seasons.
david
my father bought this for me when i was 12 yrs old. it was the first "real" book i remember reading for the shear pleasure. i loved it as a child, but when i re-read it as an adult it dragged a bit in some parts. if you have a son/nephew that enjoys football, this would make a great gift.
  • Paper Lion: Confessions of a Last-String Quarterback
  • When Pride Still Mattered: A Life Of Vince Lombardi
  • North Dallas Forty
  • America's Game: The Epic Story of How Pro Football Captured a Nation
  • Namath: A Biography
  • Semi-Tough
  • Johnny U: The Life and Times of John Unitas
  • The Bronx Zoo: The Astonishing Inside Story of the 1978 World Champion New York Yankees
  • Veeck--As In Wreck: The Autobiography of Bill Veeck
  • Badasses: The Legend of Snake, Foo, Dr. Death, and John Madden's Oakland Raiders
  • Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Lineups: A Complete Guide to the Best, Worst, and Most Memorable Players to Ever Grace the Major Leagues
  • A Civil War: Army vs. Navy - A Year Inside College Football's Purest Rivalry
  • I Am Third: The Inspiration for Brian's Song: Third Edition
  • The Junction Boys: How 10 Days in Hell with Bear Bryant Forged a Champion Team
  • The Games That Changed the Game: The Evolution of the NFL in Seven Sundays
  • The Ones Who Hit the Hardest: The Steelers, the Cowboys, the '70s, and the Fight for America's Soul
  • Babe: The Legend Comes to Life
  • Let Me Tell You a Story: A Lifetime in the Game
Distant Replay Jerry Kramer's Farewell to Football Lombardi: Winning is the Only Thing Coach Vince Lombardi's Power to Motivate Instant Replay