Start by marking “Circular Knitting Workshop: Essential Techniques to Master Knitting in the Round” as Want to Read:

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  356 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Discover the pleasures of knitting in the round! Margaret Radcliffe presents classic circular knitting techniques — including Fair Isle, helix, and tubular — in detailed step-by-step photographic sequences. This comprehensive guide provides directions for 35 demonstration projects, so you can practice each technique on a miniature hat, mitten, or sweater before applying it ...more
Published March 13th 2012 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published February 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Circular Knitting Workshop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Circular Knitting Workshop

CatBookMom
I've been knitting circularly for many years, but there's always something new to learn from Margaret Radcliffe. This isn't really a pattern book, it's a teaching guide and reference book, with many useful techniques and tips, and comparisons between various methods for different aspects of circular knitting, from cast-on to bind-off, and including a basic introduction to knitting on two circulars, double-points, and magic loop. There are patterns, but most of them are teaching patterns, to help ...more
Julie Barrett
Apr 15, 2012 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing
Circular Knitting Workshop Essential Techniques to Master Knitting in the Round
by Margaret Radcliffe
First starts out with what looks like colorful doll sweaters and vests as if I needed any enticing to continue on.
Like the comparisons it shows from circular to straight knitting, the ribbings.
Hands on diagrams make it easy to see so you can do what they are talking about in each chapter.
Multiple means of casting on and working with magic loop method is described along with binding off methods.
A c
Angela
Jul 12, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
When I first saw this book on the shelf, I made a face. I've been knitting circularly for years. What could this book teach me? Techniques used in a way I hadn't thought about. There are plenty of ideas here for playing with (helix knitting) and a few I didn't know about (chimney stitches to help with kitchener). This is gonna fit great on my knitting bookshelf.
Bibliothekerin
Oct 04, 2015 Bibliothekerin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
This book has extensive details on all kinds of circular knitting, and there are plenty of helpful photos. The author is clearly an expert on the subject.

My only complaint is that the epub version messes up the page numbers so that you don't know what page you are really on. This means that if there are any future corrections, you won't know where the real page is with the error--because many publishers don't state the pattern name alongside the correction.

The 2nd major problem with this book i
Julia Hendon
Dec 16, 2012 Julia Hendon rated it it was amazing
Very clearly written and well-illustrated. The projects are interesting but I think its main value is as a reference and go-to book. Covers everything from icord to knitting on two needles.
Anne Hawn Smith
This is one of those books that belongs on every knitter's shelf. As several others said, I passed this one by because I had been using circular needles for years. Then I got the ebook from my library and checked it out. There are all sorts of things that I didn't know. I have never used Helix knitting and thought it was very interesting.

Most important to me were the chapters that dealt with changing a flat knit pattern to a circular. It's pretty easy if your flat knitting has the same gauge an
Maria Elmvang
Good for a beginner

Very basic book about circular knitting. Probably great for a beginner, but it had nothing new to offer somebody who's been knitting in the round for awhile. I held out hope for the pattern, but while detailed and well written, they weren't to my taste. That is NOT the fault of the book, however, but of my expectations.

Rating according to Goodreads' definitions, were two stars mean "It was okay".
Two Readers in Love
My hands are busier -- and, with hand-knit gloves, warmer -- thanks to this book.

This book has clear instructions accompanied by plenty of close-up, step-by-step photographs of the circular knitting process (rather than just the finished product). The chapters on socks, mittens, and gloves are exactly what I've been searching for. Reading this book was like taking a master class on knitting in the round. At last I understand why one would choose a specific knitting-in-the-round technique over an
Laura Chorba
Apr 13, 2014 Laura Chorba rated it it was amazing
Some books you by and some you check out form the library this is a MUST buy . The amount of tips in here could last you 10 years to perfect. Ms. Radcliffe is also an amazing writer on knitting writing with passion and great descriptions so you do not have to rely on the photos.
M.
Mar 23, 2015 M. added it
This is a beautifully illustrated book. I'd say it's more geared towards an experienced knitter. I'd only just started knitting when I borrowed it from the library. I did find it very useful as it's specifically on knitting in the round. (The other knitting books I've looked at only devote a section to the technique.) The photos are large and clear. I still had to supplement the instructions—like how to use a magic loop or knit two tubes at once—with online videos. But I'll probably get my own c ...more
Paula
Mar 28, 2014 Paula rated it it was amazing
Great book. I knit in round (circular knitting) almost exclusively and this book is an excellent reference book for this type of knitting. I recommend it to any knitter of any level of expertise.
Shaineinok
Jun 10, 2014 Shaineinok rated it really liked it
Library read. Nothing to new to me but it does look to be a great intro to circular knitting!
Found the afterthought heel explanation to be very good. I may give it a try now.
Renata Weissinger
Nov 02, 2014 Renata Weissinger rated it really liked it
Its a very useful addition to my knitting library. I much prefer knitting in the round and this book has helped me a lot.
Liz De Coster
Feb 14, 2014 Liz De Coster rated it liked it
Shelves: hobbies
More of a 3.5, really - I didn't love all the patterns, but the techniques and suggestions were solid.
Tina Ambury
Oct 31, 2014 Tina Ambury rated it it was amazing
fantastic. wish I had seen this before converting the Forbrydelsen for Alexandra
Shirley Baker
May 18, 2016 Shirley Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: craft
Useful technical reference book
Julie
Feb 25, 2014 Julie rated it liked it
This was an okay book. I was expecting it to be a little more educational. I did learn a few things. All of the patterns given to practice the techniques were great.
Connie Lindstrom
Aug 02, 2013 Connie Lindstrom rated it liked it
Ok, but I think most knitters would be better served just working on projects that incorporate circular techniques as needed, rather than trying to work through an entire book of technique-workshop type projects. Nothing in here that isn't in a good stitching reference, but it's useful if you haven't done a lot of knitting in the round and want to understand the geometry a little better in a theoretical way.
Kim H.
Jan 07, 2013 Kim H. rated it it was amazing
This book was a very enjoyable read. It lead me to convert a flat pattern for an embossed leaf & vine into a circular pattern I could do on a pair of socks I was knitting. I checked this one out from the library, but may consider a purchase as it's a good reference book for my knitting shelf. I HATE seaming and finishing work, so knitting in the round is the ideal technique for me!
Dee
Dec 30, 2013 Dee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting-crochet
This is such a nice book. I don't own many knitting books but this is one that I am glad I do own. I will use it often for reference. Great photos with clear instructions. A must have for knitting in the round. Nice projects included.
Emilie
Jan 17, 2014 Emilie rated it liked it
Shelves:
On my to-read list.
Anne
Jan 03, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it
I'd like to have this more for the techniques than the patterns. I prefer circular knitting over straight needles but can always learn more....
Michelle
Dec 29, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Great book for learning and practicing techniques. There are only a few projects I would really want to make for the finished product, but that's not the focus of the book. I love the emphasis on design and converting flat patterns to circular. Definitely worth adding to my library.
Donna Pearce
May 05, 2015 Donna Pearce rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
This book is a treasure trove of tips and tricks for anyone who wants to get started in circular knitting or go above and beyond in it. The patterns are okay (not amazing), but it's a fantastic reference book that will stand the test of time.
Kim
Jul 03, 2013 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
I checked this out from the library in ebook format. Perhaps it's better as a physical book or maybe it would be better for a novice knitter, but I just didn't get much out of this book.
Linda
Dec 21, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing -- I considered myself above a beginner, having knit for over 50 years. So many new things to try, so much to learn. This is a book to be owned.
Jada Roche
May 18, 2013 Jada Roche rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-to-own
I'm attempting to learn DPN knitting again....this is helping. nice layout, clear directions. I want to get a copy to own.
Leslie
May 08, 2013 Leslie rated it it was amazing
What an excellent resource. I have the feeling I will continue to come back to this book as I incorporate new techniques.
Mary
Oct 18, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft, library-books
Good book showing tips on how to make many things in the round in different ways.
Jules
Jun 19, 2012 Jules rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
So glad I purchased this book. It's filled with loads of useful information.
  • Finishing School: A Master Class for Knitters
  • Cast On, Bind Off: 54 Step-by-Step Methods
  • Knit to Flatter: The Only Instructions You'll Ever Need to Knit Sweaters That Make You Look Good and Feel Great!
  • The Principles of Knitting: Methods and Techniques of Hand Knitting
  • The Knitter's Life List: To Do, To Know, To Explore, To Make
  • Weekend Hats: 25 Knitted Caps, Berets, Cloches, and More
  • The Knitter's Book of Socks: The Yarn Lover's Ultimate Guide to Creating Socks That Fit Well, Feel Great, and Last a Lifetime
  • Knitter's Handy Book of Top-Down Sweaters: Basic Designs in Multiple Sizes and Gauges
  • Brave New Knits: 26 Projects and Personalities from the Knitting Blogosphere
  • More Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
  • Toe-Up Socks for Every Body: Adventurous Lace, Cables, and Colorwork from Wendy Knits
  • 101 Designer One-Skein Wonders
  • Mastering Color Knitting: Simple Instructions for Stranded, Intarsia, and Double Knitting
  • Modern Top-Down Knitting: Sweaters, Dresses, Skirts & Accessories Inspired by the Techniques of Barbara G. Walker
  • Cast On, Bind Off: 211 Ways to Begin and End Your Knitting
  • Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop Book

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »