Start by marking “Circular Knitting Workshop: Essential Techniques to Master Knitting in the Round” as Want to Read:

Discover the pleasures of knitting in the round! Margaret Radcliffe presents classic circular knitting techniques — including Fair Isle, helix, and tubular — in detailed step-by-step photographic sequences. This comprehensive guide provides directions for 35 demonstration projects, so you can practice each technique on a miniature hat, mitten, or sweater before applying it ...more
Published March 13th 2012 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published February 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Circular Knitting Workshop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Circular Knitting Workshop

Julie Barrett
Apr 15, 2012 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing
Circular Knitting Workshop Essential Techniques to Master Knitting in the Round
by Margaret Radcliffe
First starts out with what looks like colorful doll sweaters and vests as if I needed any enticing to continue on.
Like the comparisons it shows from circular to straight knitting, the ribbings.
Hands on diagrams make it easy to see so you can do what they are talking about in each chapter.
Multiple means of casting on and working with magic loop method is described along with binding off methods.
A c
CatBookMom
I've been knitting circularly for many years, but there's always something new to learn from Margaret Radcliffe. This isn't really a pattern book, it's a teaching guide and reference book, with many useful techniques and tips, and comparisons between various methods for different aspects of circular knitting, from cast-on to bind-off, and including a basic introduction to knitting on two circulars, double-points, and magic loop. There are patterns, but most of them are teaching patterns, to help ...more
Angela
Jul 12, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
When I first saw this book on the shelf, I made a face. I've been knitting circularly for years. What could this book teach me? Techniques used in a way I hadn't thought about. There are plenty of ideas here for playing with (helix knitting) and a few I didn't know about (chimney stitches to help with kitchener). This is gonna fit great on my knitting bookshelf.
Julia Hendon
Dec 16, 2012 Julia Hendon rated it it was amazing
Very clearly written and well-illustrated. The projects are interesting but I think its main value is as a reference and go-to book. Covers everything from icord to knitting on two needles.
Anne
Jan 11, 2017 Anne rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on knitting in the round there is. Lots of tips and techniques. I highly recommend it.
Atlantis
Mar 04, 2017 Atlantis rated it it was ok
I'm not at this knitting skill level. Very technical and not enough pictures for me as a visual learner of knitting. Also the sample patterns were in one undisclosed size - and even admitted on the socks that the patterns only called for enough yarn to make one sock. Not a bad book but not a good fit for me.
Anne Hawn Smith
This is one of those books that belongs on every knitter's shelf. As several others said, I passed this one by because I had been using circular needles for years. Then I got the ebook from my library and checked it out. There are all sorts of things that I didn't know. I have never used Helix knitting and thought it was very interesting.

Most important to me were the chapters that dealt with changing a flat knit pattern to a circular. It's pretty easy if your flat knitting has the same gauge an
Bibliothekerin
This book has extensive details on all kinds of circular knitting, and there are plenty of helpful photos. The author is clearly an expert on the subject.

My only complaint is that the epub version messes up the page numbers so that you don't know what page you are really on. This means that if there are any future corrections, you won't know where the real page is with the error--because many publishers don't state the pattern name alongside the correction.

The 2nd major problem with this book i
Two Readers in Love
My hands are busier -- and, with hand-knit gloves, warmer -- thanks to this book.

This book has clear instructions accompanied by plenty of close-up, step-by-step photographs of the circular knitting process (rather than just the finished product). The chapters on socks, mittens, and gloves are exactly what I've been searching for. Reading this book was like taking a master class on knitting in the round. At last I understand why one would choose a specific knitting-in-the-round technique over an
M.
Feb 15, 2015 M. added it
This is a beautifully illustrated book. I'd say it's more geared towards an experienced knitter. I'd only just started knitting when I borrowed it from the library. I did find it very useful as it's specifically on knitting in the round. (The other knitting books I've looked at only devote a section to the technique.) The photos are large and clear. I still had to supplement the instructions—like how to use a magic loop or knit two tubes at once—with online videos. But I'll probably get my own c ...more
Connie Lindstrom
Jul 30, 2013 Connie Lindstrom rated it liked it
Ok, but I think most knitters would be better served just working on projects that incorporate circular techniques as needed, rather than trying to work through an entire book of technique-workshop type projects. Nothing in here that isn't in a good stitching reference, but it's useful if you haven't done a lot of knitting in the round and want to understand the geometry a little better in a theoretical way.
Maria Elmvang
Good for a beginner

Very basic book about circular knitting. Probably great for a beginner, but it had nothing new to offer somebody who's been knitting in the round for awhile. I held out hope for the pattern, but while detailed and well written, they weren't to my taste. That is NOT the fault of the book, however, but of my expectations.

Rating according to Goodreads' definitions, were two stars mean "It was okay".
Kim H.
Jan 07, 2013 Kim H. rated it it was amazing
This book was a very enjoyable read. It lead me to convert a flat pattern for an embossed leaf & vine into a circular pattern I could do on a pair of socks I was knitting. I checked this one out from the library, but may consider a purchase as it's a good reference book for my knitting shelf. I HATE seaming and finishing work, so knitting in the round is the ideal technique for me!
Michelle
Feb 21, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Great book for learning and practicing techniques. There are only a few projects I would really want to make for the finished product, but that's not the focus of the book. I love the emphasis on design and converting flat patterns to circular. Definitely worth adding to my library.
Donna Pearce
Mar 06, 2015 Donna Pearce rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
This book is a treasure trove of tips and tricks for anyone who wants to get started in circular knitting or go above and beyond in it. The patterns are okay (not amazing), but it's a fantastic reference book that will stand the test of time.
Laura Chorba
Apr 13, 2014 Laura Chorba rated it it was amazing
Some books you by and some you check out form the library this is a MUST buy . The amount of tips in here could last you 10 years to perfect. Ms. Radcliffe is also an amazing writer on knitting writing with passion and great descriptions so you do not have to rely on the photos.
Annette McIntyre
Jul 15, 2016 Annette McIntyre rated it it was amazing
A fabulous book that demonstrates via good explanations and photographs how to do dozens of techniques with circular needles. This book will be going into my reference collection and I am going to recommend it to my knitting group as a must-have resource
Dee
Dec 30, 2013 Dee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting-crochet
This is such a nice book. I don't own many knitting books but this is one that I am glad I do own. I will use it often for reference. Great photos with clear instructions. A must have for knitting in the round. Nice projects included.
Liz De Coster
Feb 14, 2014 Liz De Coster rated it liked it
Shelves: hobbies
More of a 3.5, really - I didn't love all the patterns, but the techniques and suggestions were solid.
Jean
Jul 04, 2013 Jean added it
Lots of good info. May buy
Leslie
Mar 25, 2013 Leslie rated it it was amazing
What an excellent resource. I have the feeling I will continue to come back to this book as I incorporate new techniques.
Maureen
Aug 04, 2013 Maureen rated it it was amazing
Great book on circular knitting
Shaineinok
Jun 10, 2014 Shaineinok rated it really liked it
Library read. Nothing to new to me but it does look to be a great intro to circular knitting!
Found the afterthought heel explanation to be very good. I may give it a try now.
Linda
Nov 21, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing -- I considered myself above a beginner, having knit for over 50 years. So many new things to try, so much to learn. This is a book to be owned.
Rebecca Blankenship
Jan 02, 2013 Rebecca Blankenship rated it it was amazing
Great resource for techniques and tips
Mary
Feb 25, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft, library-books
Good book showing tips on how to make many things in the round in different ways.
Mckinley
Jan 09, 2017 Mckinley rated it really liked it
Very helpful tips to improve one's knitting.
Paula
Mar 28, 2014 Paula rated it it was amazing
Great book. I knit in round (circular knitting) almost exclusively and this book is an excellent reference book for this type of knitting. I recommend it to any knitter of any level of expertise.
Tina Ambury
Oct 31, 2014 Tina Ambury rated it it was amazing
fantastic. wish I had seen this before converting the Forbrydelsen for Alexandra
Jules
Jun 09, 2012 Jules rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
So glad I purchased this book. It's filled with loads of useful information.
  • Cast On, Bind Off: 54 Step-by-Step Methods
  • Finishing School: A Master Class for Knitters
  • Knit to Flatter: The Only Instructions You'll Ever Need to Knit Sweaters That Make You Look Good and Feel Great!
  • The Principles of Knitting: Methods and Techniques of Hand Knitting
  • The Knitter's Life List: To Do, To Know, To Explore, To Make
  • Weekend Hats: 25 Knitted Caps, Berets, Cloches, and More
  • The Knitter's Book of Socks: The Yarn Lover's Ultimate Guide to Creating Socks That Fit Well, Feel Great, and Last a Lifetime
  • Knitter's Handy Book of Top-Down Sweaters: Basic Designs in Multiple Sizes and Gauges
  • Brave New Knits: 26 Projects and Personalities from the Knitting Blogosphere
  • More Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
  • Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits
  • 101 Designer One-Skein Wonders
  • Mastering Color Knitting: Simple Instructions for Stranded, Intarsia, and Double Knitting
  • Knitting in Plain English
  • Modern Top-Down Knitting: Sweaters, Dresses, Skirts & Accessories Inspired by the Techniques of Barbara G. Walker

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »