Start by marking “My Daniel” as Want to Read:
My Daniel

My Daniel

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  297 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
"All I want to find is one dinosaur," Daniel was saying. "And I'll find it right here. Like I do all my fossils." Wandering through the Natural History Museum with her grandchildren, Julia Creath feels the presence of her dead brother, Daniel, she remembers a time when fossil fever hit everyone, old and young -- a time when people would kill for those old bones under the g ...more
Published April 15th 1991 by HarperCollins (first published 1989)

Gale
Mar 17, 2013 Gale rated it liked it
“Baptism in Mud and Memories”

Prairie girl Julie Creath adores her older brother, Daniel as a girl and beyond when she is a grandmother.. These two siblings enjoy a unique and intense bond of love as they are only surviving offspring of a Nebraska farm family. Despite living in a primitive soddy the plucky youth has grate dreams: to find a dinosaur skeleton and sell it for a small fortune—enough to save the family farm. Bones and Bravery are all he needs---although he does not factor in the dev
Rnd
Sep 11, 2009 Rnd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
When I was a kid, I absoultely loved this book. I still remember the range of emotions it brought out in me, and I remembered thinking that it would always be a favorite book of mine. Haven't read it in years, but it brings back good memories.
Missy
Jan 28, 2016 Missy rated it really liked it
One of my favourite stories along with her 'Prairie Song'. Some kids have difficulty as the narrative switches from present to past. Evokes the mid western prairie life as 'Little House on the Prairie' did years ago. And the idea of dinosaur discovery is a great lead in for kids. So well written.
Miss Amanda
gr 5-8

1880s, rural Nebraska. Julia tells her grandchildren about the summer that her older brother Daniel uncovered dinosaur bones and all the trouble it caused.

I read this book as a kid and remember really enjoying it.
Storm E. Rayne
Jan 06, 2015 Storm E. Rayne rated it it was ok
I found it super boring. I had to read it in Language Arts and hated it. It has a good (ish) plot, but I really didn't like the follow through. but if you're into historical fiction, you might like it.
Sheila
recommended by others - by same author - "Prairie Songs"

Quote: "Maybe the farmers liked the quilts first and then they made their farms look like them."
Elizabeth
Grandmother retells the story of she and her brother finding a brontosaurus fossil in Nebraska at the turn of the century. Beautifully written.
Ashley
Aug 06, 2015 Ashley added it
Pretty good and a short, easy read! It also has good message for the value of family, without the message being overly prominent. It kept my attention.
Mary L.
Dec 01, 2014 Mary L. rated it liked it
I probably would have ranked it higher if I wasn't an adult. It managed to hold my interest and I really felt for her loss of Daniel.
Tina Kacey
Oct 30, 2015 Tina Kacey rated it it was amazing
This book made me ugly cry when I was eleven. Haven't read it since and I am almost afraid to. It's such a good memory and I don't want it spoiled.
Lisa
Sep 22, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
One of my favourite books as a kid.
Elise
Jan 18, 2016 Elise rated it liked it
Good book. Easy, fast read. Good story.
Susan
Jan 12, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-juv

Pam Conrad was a writer with such a superb voice - you knew her characters, you lived with them, went willingly on their journey after the first sentences wrapped around you. This story about siblings, about pursuing dreams, about honoring those you love and loved, is a wonderful read.
librarians - it has a girl on the cover but boys will respond as well to the story about Daniel, his passion for dinosaurs, a dinosaur dig, etc. (So often boys shrug off a book when they see a girl on the cover).
Kate
This is a very good book. I like Pam Conrad's work. I enjoyed this story BUT, again, I don't think this book is suitable for 3rd/4th graders. The book deals with death, loss, old age etc. There is a lot of death in this book - babies, a young man, an old man, and there's even a murder. There's also talk of slavery, sexual slavery, and treachery. Most of this stuff will go over a young child's head, but it's pretty heavy. This is My Antonia meets the Color Purple at a dinosaur dig.
Mariela Patino
Mar 04, 2012 Mariela Patino rated it really liked it
My Daniel is an emotional story narrated on past and present stories that add interest to the overall story. Julia Creath and her grandchildren walk around a museum, while Julia tells her grandchildren the story about his dead brother Daniel. This book contains some interesting facts that touch on the drought on the Southern states during the late 1800’s and Nebraska’s rich fossil heritage.
Sydney
Dec 01, 2014 Sydney rated it liked it
this book was good, I probably should give it four stars but I wasn't really that interested in the bone wars and there were a few things in this book that was just weird.

It was neat because this book is about an interesting subject but I didn't like it as much as other books I've read. It's a nice easy read and that's the main reason I read it.
Sally
May 10, 2011 Sally rated it really liked it
Except for the very end, this was a wonderful story of the relationship of a sister and brother in 1870 Nebraska. As a grandma, the sister tells about her experiences with her beloved brother Daniel and how they found dinosaur bones. A few incidents were not quite believable, but worth the read anyway.
Anna
Jan 13, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
great such an amazing book
Anne
Jan 30, 2013 Anne rated it it was amazing
This book is so beautifully eloquent! I just love it more every time I read it (about 5 times now). I use it every year to teach metaphor to my fifth graders. I am so gratified when they appreciate the fine, fine writing and the beautiful imagery!
Christy
Jan 31, 2008 Christy rated it really liked it
Loved Pam Conrad in junior high, and I think I could still read and enjoy this book and Stonewords, her ghost story. Emotional, intense, touching . . . (and Stonewords is CREEPY). Really simple young-adult literature, but do-able for adults too.
Ben
Aug 04, 2012 Ben rated it really liked it
A poetic reminiscence balancing two wistful settings with passion and a dinosaur. Beautifully written, if not wholly enthralling, with strong characters and a sense of joyful lament that reaches an otherwordly peak in the final pages.
elliereads
Mar 02, 2015 elliereads rated it really liked it
A great read aloud.
Betsy
Apr 05, 2016 Betsy rated it really liked it
My kids were very interested in this story, and asked me to read it each night. It deals with very heavy themes of death, among others. I was surprised that I cried at the end. It was a good real aloud.
Barbara Lovejoy
Dec 21, 2012 Barbara Lovejoy rated it it was amazing
What a heartwarming book. It is my 7th book from the Reading Promise Booklist. Once again I am grateful for this booklist as it has introduced me to some delightful books that I didn't know beforehand.
Aug 27, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This was a very beautifully written book about a girl and her brother who find brontosaurus bones on their Nebraska farm. The story is told by the girl to her grandchildren when she has grown old. I loved it.
Erin N.
Oct 18, 2013 Erin N. rated it liked it
The language was beautiful, I liked the set up of the story, and I think it's an exciting/adventurous book for kids. There were some unresolved plot points and point of view issues, though.
Brooke
Mar 13, 2010 Brooke rated it liked it
It has been quite a while since I read it, but something about the Nebraska countryside reminded me of My Antonia, believe it or not, only on a child's level.
Catherine  Mustread
Jun 06, 2009 Catherine Mustread rated it it was amazing
Ellie and Stevie visit the museum with their grandmother and hear a story about her brother's search for dinosaur bones on their Nebraska farm.
Britt
Mar 31, 2011 Britt rated it really liked it
I need to read this again, I have fond memories from my 5th grade discussions..hah
but really, "My Daniel" I'm going to read you once more. :)
Emily
Nov 15, 2010 Emily rated it liked it
This was a good easy read. The only negative was the ending. It was quick and didn't flow. Read it for a youth literature group. OK for 9-12 crowd.
  • Harry the Poisonous Centipede: A Story to Make You Squirm
  • Cat Running
  • The Last Treasure
  • Journey
  • Hope's Crossing
  • Who Comes with Cannons?
  • Touched by Fire
  • Run Away Home
  • The Moonlight Man
  • Anna Is Still Here
  • Once On This Island (Mackinac Island Trilogy, #1)
  • Around the World in 100 Days
Pam Conrad (1947-1996) was an author for children. Her book Our House: Stories of Levittown was a Newbery Medal finalist.

Ms. Conrad was born in New York City and graduated from the New School for Social Research.
More about Pam Conrad...