Start by marking “Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)” as Want to Read:
Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)

Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)

In the winter of 1856, a storm delays the lighthouse keeper's return to an island off the coast of Maine, and his daughter Abbie must keep the lights burning by herself.
Library Binding, 40 pages
Published April 1st 1987 by Turtleback Books (first published 1985)

Karen Witzler
Feb 22, 2017 Karen Witzler rated it it was amazing
A favorite tale of a courageous 16 year old. This is a chapter book for early readers. Highly recommended.
Wow, this one takes me back. I remember "watching" this book on Reading Rainbow as a child. Even reading it now, I can still "hear" the seafaring music that played in the background. I had no idea it took place in Maine (my home state), though I guess it shouldn't surprise me. It's a story of a girl who has to tend the lighthouse lights night after night, while her father is kept away by a storm. Even with the simple text and short sentences of the reader-style book, I still found the story movi ...more
Jodie Greene
Apr 16, 2014 Jodie Greene rated it really liked it
This is a historical fiction book about based on the true story of Abbie Burgess. Abbie’s father is a lighthouse keeper, but in the winter of 1856, he needs to leave by sea to get medicine for Abbie’s sick mother. Abbie does not know when he will be returning. She is the oldest child, so it is her job to keep the lights in the lighthouse burning to keep the ships safe and to bring her father back safely.

I recommend the book for grades K-2. Students could make connections to social studies by co
Pamela
Dec 05, 2010 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
"Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie" by Peter and Connie Roop is a story that proves that any obstacle can be conquered if a person sets their mind on a positive outcome. Abbie Burgess is a young girl who, without the help of anyone, kept the lights in a lighthouse burning for 4 long and difficult weeks while a terrible storm passed.
During this time, more upkeep had to be done in order to keep the lighthouses lit. Abby had to personally walk up to the top of the lighthouse, and blow out each light.
David
Jun 05, 2010 David rated it really liked it
Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie by Peter Roop & Connie Roop, pictures by Peter E. Hanson is a story about a lighthouse keeper's daughter who msut keep the lights burning by herself. This is a true story based on the life of Abbie Burgess who kept the light on the Matinicus Rock Lighthouse, off the Maine coast in 1856, burning when her father was delayed returning for four weeks by a severe storm. Abbie had to watch her sick mother, take care of her little sisters and maintain the Lighthouse l ...more
Laura Verret
A lighthouse story!

The Story.

Abbie loves living in the lighthouse looking out over the sea. She loves watching the ships sail by and helping her father light the lamps that guide the ships to safety. And then, one day, Papa tells her that he is going on a trip – and as the oldest daughter he is counting on her to take care of Mama and make sure the lights are shining every night.

Abbie is scared – she’s never held the responsibility for so many lives in her hands. Can she live up to the task?

Conc
Alex
Oct 09, 2016 Alex rated it really liked it
This book has been in my collection since first grade, when I met the book's authors at the Young Author's Conference and got the book signed. I have read the book a few times since then, and decided to read it again for my Children's Literature class. The book is a very simple, but heartwarming, story of a family who live at a lighthouse in Maine. Abbie, is a young girl who helps her father run the lights while also caring for her younger siblings and ill mother. When her father must take a dar ...more
Claire
Oct 25, 2015 Claire rated it really liked it
This book is about a young girl whose father tells her to keep the lights burning in the lighthouse for ships to see before he goes out on a fishing trip and does not return for a few days because of terrible storms. Abbie is put to the test when the storms rage on and she has to fight her fear to keep the lights burning. This book is for children ages 9-11 and is in the genre of biography and historical-fiction. I rated this book four stars because it had a great message of bravery and would be ...more
Rosa Cline
In 1850's The Burgess family was the lighthouse keepers. They keep the lighthouse lit so boats wouldn't crash against the shore in the dark. The lights were lit by matches and candles and hard to keep going.

Mama is sick and Papa has to after supplies and medcaition so little Abbie has the most responsibility to climb up and keep the lights on. This is based off the true story of the Burgess family.
Rosa Cline
4 star

Cheryl
May 14, 2009 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
On the coast of Maine in 1856, the lighthouse served as the sole guide for incoming ships. While Abbie's father is stranded ashore during a terrible storm, Abbie is left to tend the lights singlehandedly! An action packed and exciting account of Abbie's efforts to keep the ships from running aground in this true story!

This was a Reading Rainbow book. A great story for children about child heroines/heroes.
Mary
Mar 09, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
My Mom has always raved about this book. She's read it with her students so I thought I would read it with mine. I just read it for the first time and love it. It is such a good book for kids and there is so much to be able to do with it. We are in a landlocked state so my kids don't know what a storm at sea would be like so I will have to scaffold this a bit but I can tell they will appreciate Abbie. I can't wait to read it with them in a few weeks.
Kathryn
This is a children's picture book based on a true story of a very courageous girl who had to keep the lighthouse lights burning all by herself during a week long storm, while her mother was sick and her father was away getting supplies. It is a beautiful story about finding the strength to do more than you thought you could. . . someone should turn it into a play! :)
Emily
Apr 02, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it
Abbie must keep the lighthouse lights burning during the night while her father is away for errands. The water is high and Abbie is left caring for her 3 sisters, ailing mother, and 3 chickens. The book has half color and half black/white images which seems a little odd to me. The story can be introduced when talking about older days ex. 1850s or talking about lighthouses.
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, children-s
From the back: "This is the exciting true story of Abbie Burgess, who single-handedly kept the lighthouse lamps lit during a tremendous storm off the coast of Maine in 1856." I enjoyed this easy reader that also happens to be a Reading Rainbow book. I'll be sure to check out more from the On My Own History series!
Lorna
May 22, 2011 Lorna rated it really liked it
A wonderful book about bravery and perseverance as a young girl helps to maintain a lighthouse during a powerful storm while her lightkeeper father goes for supplies. Suspenseful prose and great illustrations. Based on true events. Good as a read aloud, but also a good choice for emergent readers due to its relatively simple sentence structure.
Etta Mcquade
Nov 05, 2014 Etta Mcquade rated it liked it
Very nicely done for the younger child, and a true story, too, taken from Abbie Burgess own journal. The year is 1856 when lighthouse keepers did not have electricity, radar, nor radio to aid them in their important jobs.
Matthew
I'd swear that I've read about her before. This is good for younger readers, though I hesitate to call this full-fledged biography since most of it focused on one month of her life. The foreword was good though.
Audrey
This is an exciting true story of Abbie who needed to keep the lamps in the lighthouses burning while her father was away. She lived off the coast of Maine and a bad storm hits but she is about to keep up her responsibility despite the danger.
Ana Lupu
Sep 28, 2012 Ana Lupu rated it it was amazing
The book Keep the Lights Burning Abbie is a very good book. I also like how she saved her chickens when the waves hit .Abbie had to find food for her family when the waves were everywhere but she had eggs from her chickens.
Kelli
This middle reader tells the story of a lighthouse keeper's daughter who must tend the lamps during a prolonged storm during her father's absence. An engaging story that takes the reader into the fascinating world of lighthouse families.
Jebbeh Fahnbulleh
Oct 06, 2011 Jebbeh Fahnbulleh rated it really liked it
I LIKE THIS BOOK because Abbie was brave and she always kept the lights burning. Abbie's dad always told her what she needed to do and she always did it. Abbie always knew what she was doing. This book is the best book ever.
Erica
Mar 17, 2009 Erica rated it really liked it
My daughter read this to me for her reading practice. A neat picture book based on a true story. It's valuable for kids (and me too) to think about what life was like before electricity and its related gadgets, and when much more responsibility was expected from children.
papay sesay
Sep 19, 2012 papay sesay rated it liked it
Keep the Light Burning Abbie is a book about a girl named Abbie who had to watch out for the lighthouse. Her father left the
lighthouse to get food, oil and medicine. Abbie father gave her chores. and she did them very well.
Lindsay Weston
May 24, 2015 Lindsay Weston rated it it was amazing
family read-aloud
Alyson
Jun 10, 2009 Alyson rated it it was amazing
My daughter and I really loved this, and when I heard it mentioned again, I knew I had to read it again. I don't know if my teenager will want to cuddle up with me to reread it however.
Donzellfomond
Oct 05, 2011 Donzellfomond rated it really liked it
I liked it because abbie and abbie was doing a good job helping her family by keeping the lights burning.
iam
Jan 09, 2014 iam rated it liked it
One of my childrens's books; I didn't even remember us having it. Good message based on a true story and lovely watercolors.
Ms. Campbell
A character full of courage and perseverance.
Willow
Nov 15, 2008 Willow rated it really liked it
I loved this book as a child, it stuck with me as a story of courage and independence.
  • Riding the Pony Express
  • The Long Way to a New Land
  • Clara and the Bookwagon
  • Prairie School
  • Third-Grade Detectives #1-2: The Clue of the Left-Handed Envelope & The Puzzle of the Pretty Pink Handkerchief
  • Tornado
  • A New Coat for Anna
  • Good Queen Bess: The Story of Elizabeth I of England
  • The Apprentice
  • Ben Franklin and the Magic Squares
Peter Roop, a Wisconsin State Teacher of the Year, has been bringing books and children together for over 30 years. He has written extensively for Cricket and Cobblestone Magazines. He currently writes and speaks full-time. Last year he visited 10 states and talked with over 10,000 students! Connie Roop, a high school environmental science teacher, is a recipient of the Women Leaders in Education ...more
More about Peter Roop...

On My Own History (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Allen Jay and the Underground Railroad (On My Own History)
  • An American Army of Two (On My Own History)
  • Bronco Charlie and the Pony Express
  • Buttons for General Washington (On My Own History)
  • Clouds of Terror (On My Own History)
  • The Copper Lady (On My Own History)
  • Cracking the Wall: The Struggles of the Little Rock Nine
  • Danger at Sand Cave (On My Own History)
  • The Daring Escape of Ellen Craft
  • The Day of the Black Blizzard (On My Own History)