Start by marking “Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)” as Want to Read:
Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)

Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  313 ratings  ·  28 reviews
For use in schools and libraries only. In the winter of 1856, a storm delays the lighthouse keeper's return to an island off the coast of Maine, and his daughter Abbie must keep the lights burning by herself.
Library Binding
Published April 1st 1987 by Turtleback Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie

Call Me Amy by Marcia StrykowskiBlueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskeyStar of Wonder by Paige W. PendletonOne Morning in Maine by Robert McCloskeyThe Keeper and the Rune Stone by Paige W. Pendleton
Children's Books From Maine
13th out of 25 books — 19 voters
The Cider House Rules by John IrvingThe Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne JewettEmpire Falls by Richard RussoThe Beans of Egypt, Maine by Carolyn ChuteThe Keeper and the Rune Stone by Paige W. Pendleton
Books Set in Maine
51st out of 146 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

Jodie Greene
This is a historical fiction book about based on the true story of Abbie Burgess. Abbie’s father is a lighthouse keeper, but in the winter of 1856, he needs to leave by sea to get medicine for Abbie’s sick mother. Abbie does not know when he will be returning. She is the oldest child, so it is her job to keep the lights in the lighthouse burning to keep the ships safe and to bring her father back safely.

I recommend the book for grades K-2. Students could make connections to social studies by co
David
Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie by Peter Roop & Connie Roop, pictures by Peter E. Hanson is a story about a lighthouse keeper's daughter who msut keep the lights burning by herself. This is a true story based on the life of Abbie Burgess who kept the light on the Matinicus Rock Lighthouse, off the Maine coast in 1856, burning when her father was delayed returning for four weeks by a severe storm. Abbie had to watch her sick mother, take care of her little sisters and maintain the Lighthouse l ...more
Pamela
"Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie" by Peter and Connie Roop is a story that proves that any obstacle can be conquered if a person sets their mind on a positive outcome. Abbie Burgess is a young girl who, without the help of anyone, kept the lights in a lighthouse burning for 4 long and difficult weeks while a terrible storm passed.
During this time, more upkeep had to be done in order to keep the lighthouses lit. Abby had to personally walk up to the top of the lighthouse, and blow out each light.
Etta Mcquade
Very nicely done for the younger child, and a true story, too, taken from Abbie Burgess own journal. The year is 1856 when lighthouse keepers did not have electricity, radar, nor radio to aid them in their important jobs.
Cheryl
On the coast of Maine in 1856, the lighthouse served as the sole guide for incoming ships. While Abbie's father is stranded ashore during a terrible storm, Abbie is left to tend the lights singlehandedly! An action packed and exciting account of Abbie's efforts to keep the ships from running aground in this true story!

This was a Reading Rainbow book. A great story for children about child heroines/heroes.
Kathryn
This is a children's picture book based on a true story of a very courageous girl who had to keep the lighthouse lights burning all by herself during a week long storm, while her mother was sick and her father was away getting supplies. It is a beautiful story about finding the strength to do more than you thought you could. . . someone should turn it into a play! :)
iam
One of my childrens's books; I didn't even remember us having it. Good message based on a true story and lovely watercolors.
Lorna
A wonderful book about bravery and perseverance as a young girl helps to maintain a lighthouse during a powerful storm while her lightkeeper father goes for supplies. Suspenseful prose and great illustrations. Based on true events. Good as a read aloud, but also a good choice for emergent readers due to its relatively simple sentence structure.
Kelly
From the back: "This is the exciting true story of Abbie Burgess, who single-handedly kept the lighthouse lamps lit during a tremendous storm off the coast of Maine in 1856." I enjoyed this easy reader that also happens to be a Reading Rainbow book. I'll be sure to check out more from the On My Own History series!
Erica
My daughter read this to me for her reading practice. A neat picture book based on a true story. It's valuable for kids (and me too) to think about what life was like before electricity and its related gadgets, and when much more responsibility was expected from children.
Kelli
This middle reader tells the story of a lighthouse keeper's daughter who must tend the lamps during a prolonged storm during her father's absence. An engaging story that takes the reader into the fascinating world of lighthouse families.
Jebbeh Fahnbulleh
I LIKE THIS BOOK because Abbie was brave and she always kept the lights burning. Abbie's dad always told her what she needed to do and she always did it. Abbie always knew what she was doing. This book is the best book ever.
Ana Lupu
The book Keep the Lights Burning Abbie is a very good book. I also like how she saved her chickens when the waves hit .Abbie had to find food for her family when the waves were everywhere but she had eggs from her chickens.
papay sesay
Keep the Light Burning Abbie is a book about a girl named Abbie who had to watch out for the lighthouse. Her father left the
lighthouse to get food, oil and medicine. Abbie father gave her chores. and she did them very well.
Matthew
I'd swear that I've read about her before. This is good for younger readers, though I hesitate to call this full-fledged biography since most of it focused on one month of her life. The foreword was good though.
Alyson
My daughter and I really loved this, and when I heard it mentioned again, I knew I had to read it again. I don't know if my teenager will want to cuddle up with me to reread it however.
Joe
i think this a good book because Abbie faces her fears. I like this book because Abbie kept the lights buring. i like this book because Abbie did what her father told her to.
Joe Adams
i like this book because she had to face her fears. I like this story because they help take care of their mother. I like this story because she kept the lights burning.
Donzell Fomond
I like the part when Abby and her sisters were taking care of their mom. Abby was taking care of the lights so nobody would crash into the rocks.
Emily
I was surprised how much the boys enjoyed this book - had to read it to them MANY times before returning it to the library. June 26, 2012
Donzellfomond
I liked it because abbie and abbie was doing a good job helping her family by keeping the lights burning.
Nice historical non-fiction story about a brave young girl. Grade 1-2 reading level.
Willow
I loved this book as a child, it stuck with me as a story of courage and independence.
Sharyn L.
Easy read aloud. Historical fiction based on a true story.
Eireanne
On the suggested summer reading list for students.
Kathy
Beautifully written and strong female character!
Klara
  • Pocahontas
  • Greg's Microscope
  • Maps and Globes
  • Sam the Minuteman
  • And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
Peter Roop, a Wisconsin State Teacher of the Year, has been bringing books and children together for over 30 years. He has written extensively for Cricket and Cobblestone Magazines. He currently writes and speaks full-time. Last year he visited 10 states and talked with over 10,000 students! Connie Roop, a high school environmental science teacher, is a recipient of the Women Leaders in Education ...more
More about Peter Roop...

On My Own History (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Allen Jay and the Underground Railroad (On My Own History)
  • An American Army of Two (On My Own History)
  • Bronco Charlie and the Pony Express
  • Buttons for General Washington (On My Own History)
  • Clouds of Terror (On My Own History)
  • The Copper Lady (On My Own History)
  • Cracking the Wall: The Struggles of the Little Rock Nine
  • Danger at Sand Cave (On My Own History)
  • The Daring Escape of Ellen Craft
  • The Day of the Black Blizzard (On My Own History)
If You Lived With The Cherokee (If You.) Buttons for General Washington (On My Own History) Grace's Letter to Lincoln Tales Of Famous Americans Benjamin Franklin (In Their Own Words)