Start by marking “Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)” as Want to Read:
Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)

Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  455 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Introduce young readers to history through the stories of both real and fictionalized people. By focusing on a single important episode that describes a historical event, these books engage readers' interests and imaginations. Written in a story format, each account relates events that really happened, often followed by a brief summary of the historical event to further ex ...more
Published October 28th 1985 by Carolrhoda Books, US (first published 1985)

Jodie Greene
Apr 16, 2014 Jodie Greene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a historical fiction book about based on the true story of Abbie Burgess. Abbie’s father is a lighthouse keeper, but in the winter of 1856, he needs to leave by sea to get medicine for Abbie’s sick mother. Abbie does not know when he will be returning. She is the oldest child, so it is her job to keep the lights in the lighthouse burning to keep the ships safe and to bring her father back safely.

I recommend the book for grades K-2. Students could make connections to social studies by co
Claire
Oct 26, 2015 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a young girl whose father tells her to keep the lights burning in the lighthouse for ships to see before he goes out on a fishing trip and does not return for a few days because of terrible storms. Abbie is put to the test when the storms rage on and she has to fight her fear to keep the lights burning. This book is for children ages 9-11 and is in the genre of biography and historical-fiction. I rated this book four stars because it had a great message of bravery and would be ...more
David
Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie by Peter Roop & Connie Roop, pictures by Peter E. Hanson is a story about a lighthouse keeper's daughter who msut keep the lights burning by herself. This is a true story based on the life of Abbie Burgess who kept the light on the Matinicus Rock Lighthouse, off the Maine coast in 1856, burning when her father was delayed returning for four weeks by a severe storm. Abbie had to watch her sick mother, take care of her little sisters and maintain the Lighthouse l ...more
Pamela
Dec 05, 2010 Pamela rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
"Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie" by Peter and Connie Roop is a story that proves that any obstacle can be conquered if a person sets their mind on a positive outcome. Abbie Burgess is a young girl who, without the help of anyone, kept the lights in a lighthouse burning for 4 long and difficult weeks while a terrible storm passed.
During this time, more upkeep had to be done in order to keep the lighthouses lit. Abby had to personally walk up to the top of the lighthouse, and blow out each light.
Mary
Mar 09, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Mom has always raved about this book. She's read it with her students so I thought I would read it with mine. I just read it for the first time and love it. It is such a good book for kids and there is so much to be able to do with it. We are in a landlocked state so my kids don't know what a storm at sea would be like so I will have to scaffold this a bit but I can tell they will appreciate Abbie. I can't wait to read it with them in a few weeks.
Emily
Abbie must keep the lighthouse lights burning during the night while her father is away for errands. The water is high and Abbie is left caring for her 3 sisters, ailing mother, and 3 chickens. The book has half color and half black/white images which seems a little odd to me. The story can be introduced when talking about older days ex. 1850s or talking about lighthouses.
Laura Verret
A lighthouse story!

The Story.

Abbie loves living in the lighthouse looking out over the sea. She loves watching the ships sail by and helping her father light the lamps that guide the ships to safety. And then, one day, Papa tells her that he is going on a trip – and as the oldest daughter he is counting on her to take care of Mama and make sure the lights are shining every night.

Abbie is scared – she’s never held the responsibility for so many lives in her hands. Can she live up to the task?

Conc
Etta Mcquade
Very nicely done for the younger child, and a true story, too, taken from Abbie Burgess own journal. The year is 1856 when lighthouse keepers did not have electricity, radar, nor radio to aid them in their important jobs.
Joy
Jan 15, 2016 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stories of children combined with a setting of a past historical time are favorites of my granddaughter and me. This book made the challenge of lighthouse keeping seem real.
Ms. Campbell
A character full of courage and perseverance.
Denise
Jun 25, 2015 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining; educational, and well written.
Lindsay Weston
May 24, 2015 Lindsay Weston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
family read-aloud
Cheryl
May 14, 2009 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On the coast of Maine in 1856, the lighthouse served as the sole guide for incoming ships. While Abbie's father is stranded ashore during a terrible storm, Abbie is left to tend the lights singlehandedly! An action packed and exciting account of Abbie's efforts to keep the ships from running aground in this true story!

This was a Reading Rainbow book. A great story for children about child heroines/heroes.
Kathryn
This is a children's picture book based on a true story of a very courageous girl who had to keep the lighthouse lights burning all by herself during a week long storm, while her mother was sick and her father was away getting supplies. It is a beautiful story about finding the strength to do more than you thought you could. . . someone should turn it into a play! :)
iam
Jan 09, 2014 iam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my childrens's books; I didn't even remember us having it. Good message based on a true story and lovely watercolors.
Lorna
May 22, 2011 Lorna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book about bravery and perseverance as a young girl helps to maintain a lighthouse during a powerful storm while her lightkeeper father goes for supplies. Suspenseful prose and great illustrations. Based on true events. Good as a read aloud, but also a good choice for emergent readers due to its relatively simple sentence structure.
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, children-s
From the back: "This is the exciting true story of Abbie Burgess, who single-handedly kept the lighthouse lamps lit during a tremendous storm off the coast of Maine in 1856." I enjoyed this easy reader that also happens to be a Reading Rainbow book. I'll be sure to check out more from the On My Own History series!
Erica
Mar 17, 2009 Erica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My daughter read this to me for her reading practice. A neat picture book based on a true story. It's valuable for kids (and me too) to think about what life was like before electricity and its related gadgets, and when much more responsibility was expected from children.
Kelli
This middle reader tells the story of a lighthouse keeper's daughter who must tend the lamps during a prolonged storm during her father's absence. An engaging story that takes the reader into the fascinating world of lighthouse families.
Jebbeh Fahnbulleh
Oct 10, 2011 Jebbeh Fahnbulleh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LIKE THIS BOOK because Abbie was brave and she always kept the lights burning. Abbie's dad always told her what she needed to do and she always did it. Abbie always knew what she was doing. This book is the best book ever.
Ana Lupu
Sep 28, 2012 Ana Lupu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book Keep the Lights Burning Abbie is a very good book. I also like how she saved her chickens when the waves hit .Abbie had to find food for her family when the waves were everywhere but she had eggs from her chickens.
papay sesay
Keep the Light Burning Abbie is a book about a girl named Abbie who had to watch out for the lighthouse. Her father left the
lighthouse to get food, oil and medicine. Abbie father gave her chores. and she did them very well.
Matthew
I'd swear that I've read about her before. This is good for younger readers, though I hesitate to call this full-fledged biography since most of it focused on one month of her life. The foreword was good though.
Alyson
Jun 10, 2009 Alyson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter and I really loved this, and when I heard it mentioned again, I knew I had to read it again. I don't know if my teenager will want to cuddle up with me to reread it however.
Joe
Nov 14, 2011 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i think this a good book because Abbie faces her fears. I like this book because Abbie kept the lights buring. i like this book because Abbie did what her father told her to.
Joe Adams
Oct 06, 2011 Joe Adams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i like this book because she had to face her fears. I like this story because they help take care of their mother. I like this story because she kept the lights burning.
Donzell Fomond
Nov 17, 2011 Donzell Fomond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like the part when Abby and her sisters were taking care of their mom. Abby was taking care of the lights so nobody would crash into the rocks.
Emily
I was surprised how much the boys enjoyed this book - had to read it to them MANY times before returning it to the library. June 26, 2012
Rebecca
Dec 06, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A historical reader about a young girl who has to tend the lighthouse lights while her father is away.
Donzellfomond
Oct 05, 2011 Donzellfomond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it because abbie and abbie was doing a good job helping her family by keeping the lights burning.
  • Riding the Pony Express
  • A New Coat for Anna
  • Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved Books
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Ben Franklin and the Magic Squares
Peter Roop, a Wisconsin State Teacher of the Year, has been bringing books and children together for over 30 years. He has written extensively for Cricket and Cobblestone Magazines. He currently writes and speaks full-time. Last year he visited 10 states and talked with over 10,000 students! Connie Roop, a high school environmental science teacher, is a recipient of the Women Leaders in Education ...more
More about Peter Roop...

On My Own History (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Allen Jay and the Underground Railroad (On My Own History)
  • An American Army of Two (On My Own History)
  • Bronco Charlie and the Pony Express
  • Buttons for General Washington (On My Own History)
  • Clouds of Terror (On My Own History)
  • The Copper Lady (On My Own History)
  • Cracking the Wall: The Struggles of the Little Rock Nine
  • Danger at Sand Cave (On My Own History)
  • The Daring Escape of Ellen Craft
  • The Day of the Black Blizzard (On My Own History)