Start by marking “The Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Treasure Hunt” as Want to Read:
The Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Treasure Hunt

The Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Treasure Hunt (Judy Moody & Stink #2)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,154 ratings  ·  60 reviews
As soon as the Moody family drops anchor on "Artichoke" Island, they are greeted by Cap'n Weevil, a one-eyed buccaneer with a scraggly beard and a secret treasure map. Before you can say "Davy Jones's Locker," Stink and Judy are racing across the island in search of gold. But-shiver me timbers -they're not the only salty dogs lookin' for loot. Can Mad Molly O'Maggot and Sc ...more
Published July 12th 2011 by Candlewick Press (MA) (first published September 28th 2008)

Steven R. McEvoy
It's interesting - this is the first of the two cross-over books that is equally a Judy and Stink Moody book. It is awesome! Usually, in the other two series, the rivalry is a little more antagonistic. Yes Stink and Judy are brother and sister, and push come to shove they will support each other, but always with a little teasing and poking fun. In this adventure, they team up and are working together to solve the clues to find the Pirate Treasure to win a Gold doubloon by collecting sixteen piec ...more
Judy and her little brother, Stink, hunt for pirate treasure off the coast of North Carolina in this second "Judy Moody & Stink" adventure. After receiving the first clue from "Scurvy Sam" the pirate, they set off the discover more clues and collect pieces of eight. The first to find 16 pieces of eight will win a gold doubloon and a ride on a real pirate ship!

Judy Moody & Stink are kid favorites, and with good reason. Here, as always, McDonald has given kids a lot of fun and a little bit
Madigan McGillicuddy
It's a pirate-themed holiday for Judy and younger brother Stink as the Moody family makes their way to historic Ocracoke Island, home of legendary pirate Blackbeard. Stepping off the ferry, the siblings enthusiastically tackle a scavenger hunt organized by "Scurvy Sam," a.k.a. Cap'n Weevil. Solving each riddle leads to "pieces of eight" given by locals playing along with the contest.

As Judy and Stink race around the island, two other kids seem to be hot on their heels. With a bit of ingenuity a
Emily Calzi
The Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Treasure Hunt by Megan McDonald was an adventurous tale of Judy and Stink as they raced to unveil the location of the secret, hidden treasure. Right when their family arrives at "Artichoke Island," the adventure immediately begins after Cap'n Weevil gives them a secret treasure map. With Stink's pirateology knowledge and Judy's desire to find the treasure they are destined for success. With a few small setbacks, and their rival competitors, Tall Boy and Smart Boy, at their ...more
Mar 29, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is one of the books featuring both Judy Moody & Stink by Megan McDonald. In this case, they go on vacation as a family and Judy and Stink partner up to compete in a scavenger hunt.

We've read several of the books in the Judy Moody series and have really enjoyed them. Judy is very spontaneous, creative and expressive and our girls love how funny she can be. Stink is spunky and smart and I enjoyed hearing how they worked together.

The story is engaging and the fact that the teams had to s
How fun to see Judy Moody and Stink in color! I think this is the first Judy Moody that I have read with Peter Reynolds notable illustrations in color.

As always, the story line is fun and the banter back and forth between Stink and Judy is humorous. Plus, there are pirates and pirate treasure! What more can kids ask for? I'm sure this will be a hit with both elementary age boys and girls.

The only thing that I missed in this one was the lack of educational tidbits mixed throughout. There was a bi
Michelle. D.
I loved the all Judy Moody books when I was kid! They were always so adventurous and interesting. Megan really knows hot to write books for kids withour making them too complicated or too easy. The illustrations are really good to. When I was a kid, I would always try to draw and recreate the pictures. I really love Judy's cat, Mouse?,. It's just that he's? always there randomly.Stink was amazing character too. Smart and funny. I find it hilarious that a parent would name there kid Stink. I love ...more
In the Mad Treasure Hunt the Moody's are headed to Ocracoke Island for the third annual Pirate Island Treasure Hunt. If they are the first to figure out the five clues to win all sixteen pieces of eight they will when a gold doubloon and a ride on the Queen Ann's Revenge II, a pirate ship! Of course they aren't the only ones trying to win. See if you help Judy and Stink as they solve the puzzles to find the hidden clues, earn the pieces of eight and find the final piece, all while keeping the te ...more
This is not the best of Judy Moody or Stink, but it will appeal to kids who like pirates. As it is on a 3.2 reading level, I would recommend for reluctant or struggling 4th grade readers. The color graphics will assist with them. There are also riddles they have to solve along with Judy and Stink, which gives some good history and language for pirates. There are other books that are better, but this is a decent resource for pirate fans or fans of Stink and Judy.
Clifton Bencke
Here's a book worth owning for a child, starting with the sparkling-treasure cover (of the hardback at least.) The gold lettering and gold coins are shiny gold foil, not yellow-brown "gold" ink. The inside illustrations are great. Like "reading" a National Geographic story-text, or experiencing the story through it's pictures, I can see children doing so with this book; either reading the funny story text, or going to sleep with the book, paging through the story-telling illustrations.

Specs; Nin
the poop deck it's cool fifteen men on the dead man's chest- yo-ho-ho, and a bucket of fun!

Mom's review:
Ben really enjoyed this book. He thought it was very cool. Ben wants to own this book now (he told me to write that). Mom, on the other hand, did not enjoy all the poop deck jokes that came after Ben read this book.
Stephanie Kopec
I really loved this book! It is cute and funny with a great story line. In addition, Judy and Stink have a great brother and sister relationship in this book. I quite enjoyed trying to figure out all the clues myself before continuing reading, and of course a treasure hunt/pirate story is always a lot of fun!
Christina Lopez
I enjoy reading books like these. I think that Megan McDonald is very creative! This would be a good book to use if you needed ideas for setting up a "treasure hunt". The illustrations for being a chapter book are very good and I don't think that the story would have the same meaning without them.
Christopher Lehman
Judy and Stink star together in this fast-paced, Nickelodeon style tween comedy, hunt for pirate treasure. Would appeal to fans of either series or even new comers to these characters as the back story doesn't seem to be required to jump into this book.
Alfreda Morrissey
It held my kids (5 and 7) attention if we were waiting in line or driving in the car, otherwise they didn't ask for it. I thought they would get a kick out of a character named Stink, it got a giggle but not much else.
Very attractive book with full color illustrations. A good choice for my third grade Book Discussion Group. It was the perfect segue to a library treasure hunt which everyone enjoyed.
Steven R. McEvoy
Lol, once again found this lying around and decided to read it. I've been in a terrible reading slump and I was hoping this might help me a bit. I think it did, beccause I really enjoyed Judy Moody's adventure. And just maybe I feel in the modd for finishing that one book...
Alix Mckee
A very enjoyable installment in the Judy and Stink Moody series by Megan McDonald. The Moody family is on vacation and the kids go on a pirate themed treasure hunt.
I think I enjoyed this book the the most so far. I loved how they worked together solving the clues! Amelia laughed and laughed!
Alif Nopianti
I had a lot of fun reading this one. It feels like I also want Judy & Stink to win the treasure! Love it!
I liked it because it was a pirates book and a treasure hunt and some comedy. Hee hee.
Fun read aloud. Enjoyed by my 4 and 7 year olds.
i have always loved Judy mood and Stink books.
Sarah Boucher
I read it as a "Standalone" novel.
Kristin R
Join Judy and her brother Stink as they head to Artichoke Island (also known as Ocracoke Island) for a pirate adventure and treasure hunt. See if you can solve the clues along with them, and who will be the first to win the grand prize of a ride on a real pirate ship with Scurvy Sam, a real pirate. If you read this aloud, you will perfect your pirate voice and you parrot squawk! Ahoy Mateys!
Sep 09, 2010 Nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: scurvy scallywags
Shelves: 2010, early-readers
Miles's review: "I liked ALL of the story, especially Blackbeard's ghost. And the funny names Stink & Judy called each other."

Now that we've branched out from Magic Tree House, Miles is enjoying some other kid adventure books. He loved the pirate adventure in this one, and we thought it was cool that it was set on Artichoke Island (aka Ocracoke Island) where PopPop lives this summer.
Judy and Stink take part in a treasure hunt while on a family vacation and learn that working together and sharing are the best rewards.

As an adult, the overly childish language was a bit grating at times, but the plot was fun and the clues weren't easily deciphered. I liked that it emphasized positive interaction between siblings, parents, and even strangers.
It was ok. I feel the earlier books had a little more point to them. This was literally just a treasure hunt. Also this book featured Stink as a equal character. But we're done. Ready to move on to Little House or Anne of Green Gables or something.
  • Never Swim in Applesauce (Roscoe Riley Rules, #4)
  • Ivy and Bean: Bound to be Bad (Ivy and Bean, #5)
  • Miss Child Has Gone Wild! (My Weirder School, #1)
  • Stella Batts Needs a New Name
  • The Crazy Case of Missing Thunder (Goofballs #1)
  • Ashley the Dragon Fairy (Rainbow Magic: Magical Animals Fairies, #1)
  • Cam Jansen and the Ghostly Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #16)
  • Attack of the 50-Ft. Cupid (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #2)
  • The Talent Show from the Black Lagoon
  • Nate the Great and the Monster Mess
  • The Curse of the Bologna Sandwich (Melvin Beederman Superhero (Quality))
  • Stuart's Cape
  • April Adventure (Calendar Mysteries, #4)
"Sometimes I think I am Judy Moody," says Megan McDonald, author of the Judy Moody series, the Stink series, and THE SISTERS CLUB. "I'm certainly moody, like she is. Judy has a strong voice and always speaks up for herself. I like that."

For Megan McDonald, being able to speak up for herself wasn't always easy. She grew up as the youngest of five sisters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Her father, an
More about Megan McDonald...

Judy Moody & Stink (4 books)
  • The Holly Joliday (Judy Moody & Stink)
  • Judy Moody and Stink: The Big Bad Blackout