Start by marking “Full Blooded (Jessica McClain, #1)” as Want to Read:
Full Blooded (Jessica McClain, #1)

Full Blooded (Jessica McClain #1)

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  4,638 Ratings  ·  596 Reviews
Born the only female in an all male race, Jessica McClain isn’t just different—she’s feared.

After living under the radar for the last twenty-six years, Jessica is thrust unexpectedly into her first change, a full ten years late. She wakes up and finds she’s in the middle of a storm. Now that she’s become the only female full-blooded werewolf in town, the supernatural worl
Published September 1st 2012 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Full Blooded, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full Blooded

Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Watch out Amanda Carlson, I think I'm in love! I inhaled her debut book like my life depended on it. I haven't read a werewolf novel this good since... since... probably my re-read of Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld books earlier this year. Seeing how her novels are the bar by which I measure all furry fiction, that's saying something! Full Blooded's lore is unique and bewitching, her characters are dynamic and her wolves are howling-ly formidable. The action i
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

Jessica McClain is one of a kind; a female werewolf the first one ever born unfortunately the rest of her race doesn't view this as a miracle, instead thinking she is the daughter of evil and will destroy their race. Until now though she has been living in relative obscurity under an alias to keep her safe, but her first change hits her and all hell breaks loose as different sects of the supernatural world seem to want to get their hands on her, including the very sexy
This book was entertaining enough until the last few chapters where it fell apart.
Jessica had grown up in a pack of werewolves of which her father was alpha. Females are an anomaly and no one expected her to change. The other hitch is when she was born an anonymous letter arrived called the Cain myth that predicted her existence would destroy the pack.
Jessica was living her life out apart from the pack when she late blooms into a werewolf one night.

(view spoiler)
Dec 01, 2013 ♥Rachel♥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve recently discovered that I love Urban Fantasy reads and Full Blooded had a little of everything I love about them. Kick ass heroine, fast paced action and danger at every turn, and an interesting supernatural world and creatures. Of course, I must have some romance in there, too, and this didn’t disappoint!

Jessica McClain is an anomaly in her Pack. There are no female werewolves but yet here she is, and after years of thinking she would never shift she unexpectedly does, causing havoc and u
Amanda Bonilla
Apr 30, 2012 Amanda Bonilla rated it it was amazing
Holy shit, what an ending! Can't wait to read HOT BLOODED. I'm definitely addicted to this series!
Well, the cliffhanger sucked :D

It was pretty hard to get into this book, it took me a while to want to actually start reading it. And it felt like the main character took everything so easily! It just didn't feel real (not that I expect fantasy books to be real, but you know what I mean).
On the bright side though, once I got caught up in the story, everything went smoothly. The book was pretty fast paced and, though the plot was pretty much a cliche, it wasn't bad.
Aug 19, 2012 Julia rated it it was ok
An exciting premise, but this book and I have gotten off on the wrong foot. Carlson's delivery is not particularly immersive, and I'm not a fan of her Latina accent for Jessica's neighbor (it's distracting to have such a strong stereotype in the narrative, even as a drive by).

That is nothing compared to how much I don't like her werewolves, however. The prophecy and general panic about a female werewolf aside, when Jessica has an obviously expository rehash of werewolf mating practices, I was ve
Sep 05, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With Blooded being the appetizer; Full Blooded is the main course.

Jessica is a one of a kind, being the only female to be born to a male werewolf. She is even odder since she didn’t shift once she hit puberty like the other werewolves. Jessica lived her first 26 years of life as a human that was raised by wolves.

But after leaving the Pack life and living a normal human life for the last 7 years she finds herself in the middle of a very painful shift in the late hours of night in her bed.

No one
I wasn't exactly impressed with the beginning of the book. For some reason it didn't click with me--Jessica seemed a bland addition to the urban fantasy genre. She's special for being the only female born to werewolves (and the only female werewolf in the world, something told to us repeatedly), and of course comes with nifty powers that nobody else could compare to. This--I like this stuff, okay, but this was boring me more than anything.

I only really got interested in the book about halfway th
Mariann {at} Belle's Book Bag
Blooded was the first book that I read from Amanda Carlson and I knew that she had me before I was even finished that prequel novella. But I was still unprepared for how totally hooked I would be with Full Blooded.

It never fails to surprise me when I read a book from a new-to-me author and it blows me away. I love when a writer is able to capture me through the story and characters. Especially when I get so engrossed in a story that several hours pass without me being aware. Full Blooded is defi
Sep 27, 2012 MISS VAIN rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a female in Wolf Skin rises, the unborn Daughter of Cain is born; In her the beast shall lie, well hidden in True Form; And from this day forth, the Wolves of the Night shall pay; Blood and flesh of their bones, her mighty hand shall slay; The end of the race will close at hand; When the Daughter of Evil rules the land.

Probably the best shifter book I've ever read! I LOVED IT! Amanda Carlson has landed on my auto buy list and after you read Full Blooded you'll understand why. If you're inter
Sep 07, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

Full Blooded is the first book in Amanda Carlson’s Jessica McClain series, a new urban fantasy series featuring werewolves. No, let me re-phrase. Full Blooded is the first book in Amanda Carlson’s highly anticipated Jessica McClain series, a new urban fantasy series featuring werewolves and an awesome kick ass heroine.

The book opens with one hell of a scene. Jessica – the only female born into a werewolf clan – undergoes her first ever shift into wolf f
Dec 05, 2012 Bastard rated it liked it

I don't envision this novel, which I enjoyed, will have many negative reviews around, and I'd hazard a guess that this one will be one of the more critical ones, and that's a good thing... I think. Full Blooded by Amanda Carlson is as close a sure thing debut as any I've read in the urban fantasy genre. It's appeal will make it a fan favorite right off the bat, and a novel that will surely charm its way to be among the favorites of the year for urban fan
7/12 - Hmm, not sure about this one so far (page 20). I don't want to say it's got plot holes (too early to assume), but it has got a bit of plot sieve action going on. So, you know how if you dump a cup of flour into a sieve a little sprinkling comes out immediately, but then it stops? As long as you don't poke at it, jiggle it, or breathe too heavily, right? Well, that's the stage I'm at in Full Blooded, the flour's in the sieve, a fine dusting leaked out, but it's stopped for the moment. I'm ...more
From everything I knew about wolves, not being in control was an extremely bad sign. If I couldn't subdue my wolf-- couldn't master my Dominion over the new beast inside me-- I wouldn't be allowed to live. Holy shit, I'm a wolf

One of the best Shifter books EVER! Absolutely LOVED! Amanda Carlson is the next big thing in Urban Fantasy! Obviously, if you a huge Shifter fan you'll love it and if you're not, you'll want to devour more shifter books after this one! As soon as you begin reading you b
Rating: 3 out of 5.

I love UFs. I have also been wanting to read this book/series for a long because it sounded like just the kind of book I'd like.

It started out really well. Jess McClain is of the werewolf McClain clan. Her father is the alpha of the pack. Sounds normal right? Except Jessica is the first/only female to have been born from a werewolf. Werewolves mate with human females and can, usually, only give birth to males. To make matters worse, there is this prophecy of sorts, that paints

Once upon a time I would have liked this book, but reading so many UF novels has made me jaded. This had too many overused tropes. Jessica was a special snowflake. Not only was she the only female werewolf in existence, but no other living weres were had the powers she did. Jessica was a private investigator. How original. In this the P.I. angle really wasn’t necessary since the plot didn’t revolve around a case.

Many of the men were attracted to Jessica or had some desire to protect he
Wendy Darling
Not a terrible book by any means, but one that is extremely predictable. The heroine is not particularly memorable (though of course she's Super Special and has violet eyes), and there's one wham-bam action scene after the other with very little going on in between. This really reads more like PNR to me than urban fantasy.

My biggest peeve, however, is that the dialogue is awful. Just...awful.
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Originally posted at

Favorite Quote: “How do you like me now?”

Jessica McClain is the only female to be born pack in the last couple hundred of years. As she is regarded as, “the evil apocalypse that will end their race” and constantly fighting for her life, she leaves the pack and heads to the city to live on her own in seclusion. When she awakes in the middle of the night, in the throes of her first change, Jessica realizes that everything has changed. No
Aug 21, 2012 Melliane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mon avis en Français

My English review

After reading Blooded, the novella of the story (that takes place before this one), I was more than curious to learn more about our heroine, Jessica McClain. The contrary isn’t possible! I must say that I was impressed by this strong woman and I was looking forward to the rest of her history. I can affirm now that this impatience was rewarded when I see how much I enjoyed this first volume.

Some time has passed since the end of the novella and Jessica is inst
Katherine McCarthy
Sep 10, 2012 Katherine McCarthy rated it it was amazing
My Thoughts

FULL-BLOODED is pure Urban Fantasy gold!!

It’s been a great year for Urban Fantasy and the winning streak continues with Carlson’s new series Jessica McClain. The author has given life to a fierce and uncompromising society of werewolves where Jessica is not supposed to exist. In this world, there are no female-born werewolves and hasn’t been for a very long time. Until Jessica.

Superstition is rampant among the werewolves and most in the Pack fear her. Some even believe she is the pro
Iris (Paranormal Cravings Book Reviews)
"This is one hell of a crazy ride!
The beginning of a new series that will get you hooked from the first page!"

My Thoughts
After reading that crazy ride of a novella BLOODED I coudn't wait to read this novel Full Blooded!

Full Blooded is the first (full) installment of the Jessica McClain Series what promises to be an exciting addition to the UFRW " (Urban Fantasy Readers World), Amanda Carlson has given me a unique world full over werewolves and a kick-ass heroine that I like to be BFF's with!

Sep 04, 2012 Stacy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jessica has pretty much come to terms with the fact that she will never turn into a werewolf, she has finally convinced her father that she needs to get away from the pack that hates her with a passion and she has been living on her own when the unthinkable happens. She turns.

Jessica was an instant like character for me. She stands up for herself, doesn't take anyone's crap and even though she might be at a disadvantage she will put her all into kicking your ass if you get in her face. The pack
May 29, 2012 delane rated it it was amazing
I too was graciously allowed to receive the ARC for this well as being one of the ones that got to read it a chapter or two at a time as it was being written.
I love these characters! I admit that part of it is bias....I mean I feel like Jessica is kind of my gal too...even though I'm not the one that thought her up!
James! HUBBA HUBBA! I've got a picture in my head that might be illegal
Sandy Williams
Holy hell, that was a ride!

It's been a while since I've become so breathless after reading an urban fantasy book. I'd read a few reviews of FULL BLOODED, so I knew I'd likely enjoy it, and when I started reading it, I did. I enjoyed the whole first half. It was good, Jessica was freaking awesome, and - this is going to sound really weird - but I developed a bit of a crush on her dad.

I know! Weird! I'm supposed to develop a crush on the love interest, not on the MC's DAD! But you guys, Callum - d
Jacob Proffitt
Ugh. I was actually going along with the book through most of it, though there are a few problems with motivations—mainly with Jessica's dad. I get the protective vibe. I do. But he's not protecting her so much as imposing his own will based on pure ego and a denial of reality that is, frankly, delusional. Add that the ending is manipulatively cliff-hangery and I dropped completely out of charity with the novel by its end.

Authors: it's one thing to leave a cliff-hanger, it's another to neuter yo
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
May 29, 2012 Kathy (Kindle-aholic) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uf
The book starts with a bang (worst "wake up call" ever) and just keeps going. The action is great. I love that we are thrown into this world, and even though Jess has been on the periphery of it, she now has to learn quick, and we get to tag along.

Werewolves, witches, vampires (not romantic, these are evil suckers), demons, and so on. Jess has just become the only female werewolf - something everyone in the supernatural community seems really pissed about. Through in prophecies, conspiracies, an
Pamela / SpazP
May 30, 2012 Pamela / SpazP rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed!! Review closer to release.
Jenni Lea

Not bad. Dunno if I'll continue, though, since the books are so damned expensive.
Marcela (BookaholicCat)
This review is going to be a little different from my usual reviews. First I won’t be doing it alone, my sister Juanita is joining me today, she is going to help me review Full Blooded, but that is not the only thing different, Full Blooded is the first book Juanita have read in this “kind” of genre. Her books usually don’t have supernatural creatures or different worlds in them. I can honestly say that Full Blooded popped her Urban Fantasy Cherry.

Marcela: Welcome and thank you for trusting me a
Madison Mega-Mara...: Full Blooded by Amanda Carlson 1 2 Sep 29, 2013 04:56PM
Urban Fantasy Afi...: Grazzit's April Members Choice Read 15 30 Jun 13, 2013 01:28AM
Jessica McClain B...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Chat with Amanda! - 04/22 @ 5-6 PM (CDT) / 6-7 PM (EDT) 131 46 Apr 22, 2013 08:31PM
Jessica McClain B...: Full Blooded 1 10 Mar 25, 2013 06:30AM
Goodreads Librari...: Books need to be combined 6 165 Aug 31, 2012 02:53PM
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files, #2)
  • Keeping Secret (Secret McQueen, #4)
  • Hunted by the Others (H&W Investigations, #1)
  • A Cat's Chance in Hell (Hellcat, #1)
  • Sealed with a Curse (Weird Girls, #1)
  • To Walk the Night (Kat Redding, #1)
  • The Ripple Effect (Rhiannon's Law, #3)
  • Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell, #2)
  • Coveted (Coveted, #1)
  • Royal Street (Sentinels of New Orleans, #1)
  • Nightshifted (Edie Spence, #1)
  • Cursed (Fallen Siren, #1)
  • This Case Is Gonna Kill Me (Linnet Ellery #1)
  • Wildfire Gospel (Santeria Habitat, #3)
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
Amanda Carlson is the author of the upcoming Jessica McClain series. The first book, Full Blooded, will be released by Hachette Book Group, ORBIT US & UK SEPT 2012. She’s been writing for over ten years. Full Blooded is her first novel. She lives in Minneapolis, with her husband and three kids.
More about Amanda Carlson...

Jessica McClain (5 books)
  • Hot Blooded (Jessica McClain, #2)
  • Cold Blooded (Jessica McClain, #3)
  • Red Blooded (Jessica McClain, #4)
  • Pure Blooded (Jessica McClain, #5)