Start by marking “Adel's Purr (Elements of Love, #1)” as Want to Read:
Adel's Purr (Elements of Love, #1)

Adel's Purr (Elements of Love #1)

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  343 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Evan Halvard is a stone mason, like his father before him. In a world struggling to recover from a war that swept humanity to the brink, Evan struggles to learn about and control a power he knows nothing about. He can create and awaken living stone gargoyles. When he receives a message from his contacts that a large gargoyle is about to be destroyed by the Church, Evan rus ...more
ebook, 1st Edition, 276 pages
Published July 23rd 2011 by Silver Publishing (first published July 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Adel's Purr, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adel's Purr

Hot Head by Damon SuedeBear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. KluneThe Locker Room by Amy LaneDivide & Conquer by Abigail RouxBetween Sinners and Saints by Marie Sexton
Best M/M Romance Published in 2011
183rd out of 506 books — 1,018 voters
Among the Living by Jordan Castillo PriceWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyCamp Hell by Jordan Castillo PriceWith Caution by J.L. LangleyChange of Heart by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Paranormals
215th out of 885 books — 697 voters

More lists with this book...

Nicole
Feb 27, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
I may be reading this book because the dude on the cover is so hot.

Took me a little while to warm up, but then I loved it!
Shelby
So that was awesome. I really didn't know what to expect with a book about gargoyles but those little buggers just totally captured my heart. And I don't just mean Adel though he was awesome in his relationship with Evan. But all the gargoyles in Evan's little protected circle. I loved his little dragon, and the lions and of course his musketeers. Each of them was different and unique. They were super fun and entertaining.

This is such an interesting take on a post-apocalyptic world. The worst ha
Serena Yates
Apr 02, 2012 Serena Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay

Gargoyle stories are not all that common, and this one, where their lore is explained more and expanded, then set in the future, is particularly imaginative. I loved learning about the powers of a Maker, as well as the history of this post-apocalyptic world. Some of the missing two centuries or so between now and the futuristic setting is cleverly filled in via a diary that belongs to Evan; it explains much of what otherwise might be strange.

Evan is a stonemason, or so he thinks. He is one of th
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I'm not sure how I feel about this story. The concept is a nice, engaging one especially since there aren't many stories out there revolving around gargoyles.

I liked how Evan has hidden earth elemental powers and the way he attracts so many gargoyle friends that are unquestioningly loyal. The presence of Adel was interesting because he's built much differently than other gargoyles and can act in a human way. I've always considered gargoyles as.... well, gargoyles; scary looking dog-like things w
Experiment BL626
CAUTION: Minor Spoilers, Long Review

Adel's Purr is set in a post-apocalyptic world where the Vatican Church is the only government around. Earth has regressed back to the Dark Age where all arts and technology and inventions of any kind must be sanctioned by the Vatican Church. Fans of Final Fantasy X will easily recognize the similarities between Spira and the world in Adel's Purr.

Friend or Foe?

I initially thought the Vatican Church was this evil organization our heroes must destroy eventually
Kara
Jan 12, 2016 Kara rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, paranormal
Evan is a stone mason who finds Adel who is a gargoyle.

Now I will start of this review by saying sadly the first part of this book really dragged for me for some reason and it took me awhile to get into this story. I am not really sure why but I am glad I stuck with it because once I got to the second half of this book I was grabbed and could not put it down.

I have to say I loved that Adel was a gargoyle which is I have really not read about a paranormal being like that before in a romance boo
Yvonne
Aug 02, 2011 Yvonne rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, loaned-book
3.5 starsThis is a very carefully told story about Evan who is a stone mason who discovers that he has the ability to make stone come alive and wakes up the gargoyles around him. This is a forbidden talent as Evan lives in a time where the church has the power & has forbidden these activities and actively seek to destroy gargoyles. Things start coming to a head when Evan wakes up Adel, a gargoyle that has been asleep for centuries, and finds that he will do anything to keep him from being de ...more
Julie Hayes
Dec 13, 2011 Julie Hayes rated it it was amazing
Evan Halvard lives like a hermit, up in the mountains, away from everyone—and that’s the way he likes it. Alone with his beloved stone. Evan is a stonemason by trade, as was his father before him. It was while working with his late father, as a young man, that Evans makes a startling discovery—some gargoyle are more than the statuary they appear to be. In fact, they are living stone!

The time is a point in the future, after mankind has been greatly decimated, and the Church is a large presence in
ARe Cafe
Apr 08, 2013 ARe Cafe rated it it was amazing
An ARe Top Pick for November, 2011.

Adel’s Purr was one of the most unique books I have read in a while. Usually when the genre is paranormal I can expect shapeshifters, maybe vampires, and in recent years ghosts and angels. This is the first one I have read about gargoyles.

Evan lives in a different world than us. He lives in one where society fell, only to be brought back up and made whole (well sort of) again by the Church. The Church, and many of the surviving citizens, believes that the war a
Mika
Jan 07, 2012 Mika rated it really liked it
It's a 3.5 out of 5 so I bumped it to a 4 since I did enjoy it. I found the world to be interesting. It's a stripped down version of the modern world due to war and the Vatican holds the seat of power. I enjoyed learning about the gargoyles and I want some of my own. I liked the dynamics between Evan and all of the gargoyles he had as his family.

There were questions that I wished were answered. I wanted to know more about Evan and his powers. How does being mated to a gargoyle change him? How di
Tj
Sep 06, 2015 Tj rated it liked it
Shelves: have, read-2014
Cute read! Of course the littler gargoyles stole the show. It took me a while to really enjoy the story. It is a bit of a slow starter. Once the action is going it is good. I do think the plot could have been tighter. The beginning of the story could have had a bit less going over the same elements of the plot and story line. Other than that it was a fun story. I would like to read more into this world, I think it could be a real interesting series.
Eladio
Feb 01, 2014 Eladio rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hof

This review is for the new version published January 2014 from Dreamspinner Press, not the earlier version from Silver Publishing.

The two things I like about this book are the elegant cover and the gargoyles. Otherwise, it has problems. But I enjoyed the way the gargoyles turned to stone by day but came alive by night to hunt like cute little carnivores. The four tiny dragons, two Chinese lion-dogs, and one small griffin stole every scene.

The man-shaped gargoyle Adel was well-described
Iris
Aug 16, 2015 Iris rated it really liked it
Wow! Okay, I've never come across a gargoyle being described in such a way. It's intriguing to discover the world Sui Lynn has written. This is actually the first time that I read a book where gargoyles are the good guys and the protectors and it's a nice break from all the shifters, vampires and angels you see nowadays. Evan's powers were also well thought. This all fit together and made an interesting read. Look forward to how everything continues!
Pamela Su
Absolutely entertaining and I certainly enjoyed it.

The gargoyle lore in this world was interesting to read and although this is a post-apocalyptic type theme (which I normally don't like), I didn't feel the darkness that I usually get from books of this genre.

The little gargoyles stole the show. I wasn't too interested in the romance portion, but it was sweet nonetheless.
Ana
Jan 26, 2014 Ana rated it it was ok
Kaylee Shyanne
I absolutely LOVED this book. Cela and Skye are the sweetest, most adorable little gargoyles. Yin and Yang, and the Musketeers were also cute little guys. I wouldn't mind having them guard my property.

I mostly don't go for post-apocalypse type books but this one is definitely on of my favorites shelf. What more can I say? I just really loved it. ^_^
Kinny
May 24, 2012 Kinny rated it really liked it
3.5 stars! I liked the world building and there are very few romances with gargoyles so I am craving them like crazy. I like this as much as I liked Romanus by Mary Calmes. Maybe even more as the story is better developed. Will definitely buy the other sequels.
Fi Brit
Ok, I've got to admit that I've spent significant time just staring at the gorgeous guy on the front cover. Whoo whee! What a hottie!
It took me a while to get into the book, maybe because I didn't quite get the world it was set in. Still, the hottie kept me interested and it didn't take me long to fall in love with Even as a person. He and Adel were just... Lovely doesn't do them justice but I couldn't think of a better word.
The priest was well drawn and deliciously menacing. The idea of livin
Denise
Aug 30, 2012 Denise rated it it was ok
Interesting concept, very poor execution. I felt like I had to wade through it.
Alison
I can't wait for the next in the series.
Meraki P. Lyhne
May 11, 2016 Meraki P. Lyhne rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, paranormal, series
So, gargoyles are those stone things sitting somewhere high on old buildings. Well, one of them is made of marble. He’s hot, has wings and eats evil!

The lore of gargoyles is old, but never had I thought of them the way Sui Lynn envisioned them. In a world very different from what we know—the autumn of mankind’s existence where mostly males had survived and the church had taken over “the breading program”—the story of Evan and Adel unfolds.

Evan Harvald has a special talent—he can speak to gargoyl
Jen
It's weird... It seemed like two people wrote this story. The descriptions and action were pretty well written but then someone comes along and throws in bad flowery dialogue. The dialogue made it seem like an old Harlequin Romance. Evan could easily have been replaced by a female character in a lot of places.

But, I enjoyed the concept and really liked finding out the next odd gargoyle that he would bring to life.

I think I would pick up the next one in this series but hope the dialogue is bette
Achim
Apr 21, 2015 Achim rated it liked it
2.5 Reading Adel's Purr I understand how a non-graphic novel can be yaoi. It certainly has to be the reason why a dystopian story can be cute, why sex with a gargoyle can be corny and the antagonist appears more like a dirty old man than the dark threat he is supposed to be. I easily could imagine the pictures i would expect to find in a yaoi book and it would be an easy and funny read. In that case I also wouldn't mind that after a devasting war and the nearly complete collapse of society peopl ...more
Cracia
May 20, 2015 Cracia rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, shifters
I really liked this book. The setting was original and it was the first time that I came across people with the ability's that they have here. The tempo is nice and the characters are good developed. I can't wait to read the next one in this series.
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Eladio
Genre: M/M Paranormal
1.5 Hearts

See Review Here: Hearts On Fire Reviews
Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hearts...
S.A.
Feb 05, 2013 S.A. rated it it was ok
There was so much promise here. I loved the concept. Then I started reading. I kept putting down the book, thinking maybe I wasn't in the mood. I tried to find excuses as to why I couldn't read the story.

Then I started bookmarking pages containing partial sentences, repetition or wrong word usage. After 20 bookmarks, I wondered what was going on. I kept being throw out of the story.

This is a case where I blame the editing. So much needed to be corrected. Repetitious word usage, dialog problems (
TheFountainPenDiva
Jun 22, 2014 TheFountainPenDiva marked it as to-read
Knock one star off for the cover of the Kindle edition being changed. I prefer THIS cover. The new one is tres BO-ring!
Ashley E
May I just say that gargoyles are my favorite paranormal creatures, and I don't get nearly enough of them? So I have no idea why I had put off this book so long, because it more than lived up to my expectations. In this dystopian future, the Church considers gargoyles, once their protectors, to be manifestations of evil. Evan has always felt a special connection to stone, and strives to protect them whenever he can. Then he rescues a gargoyle that's human in all the right places. Nummy.
Sui Lynn
Apr 02, 2012 Sui Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Check out what Night Own Erotica said about Adel's Purr:

Here's what Literary Nymphs Reviews has to say:

Reader's Roundtable Review says:

Fallen Angel Review:

Rachel
Aug 12, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
I love the world building in this, how religion has taken over and statues like the gargoyles are being destroyed. I loved Evan and his gargoyle friends, and I loved his intense relationship with Adel. Wonderful story, I really enjoyed this, and I look forward to reading the next book in this series!
Dreamspinner Press: Adel's Purr by Sui Lynn 1 6 Jan 23, 2014 08:55AM
  • Nature of the Beast (Outside the City #1)
  • Skin Deep (Fae, #1)
  • Reclamation (Dominion, #2)
  • Soul Magic (Triad #3)
  • Raincheck
  • Apocalypse (Wolfman #1)
  • Just Like Cats and Dogs
  • Bonding (Himiko, #1)
  • Blood Signs (Blood, Moon and Sun #1)
  • Sinnerman (Warder #4)
  • A Broken Light (Beyond the Night, #1)
  • Alliance in Blood (Partnership in Blood, #1)
  • Blind Desire
  • Artie, The Good Witch
  • A Boy and His Dragon (Beings in Love #2)
  • Snakeskin Boots (Were Menagerie #1)
  • Marked Yours (Sentries, #1)
  • Blood of a Leo (Solomon's Pride #1)
Sui Lynn is a born and raised mid-western gal. She loves Rock ‘n Roll but can get a little bit country too. She has been writing for as long as she can remember and is always found with a book or pencil and paper in hand. She has 2 Cocker Spaniels who are the comic relief in her life. She loves orange soda, Dr Who and her computer, all of which she could not function without.
More about Sui Lynn...

Elements of Love (3 books)
  • Nico's Fire (Elements of Love, #2)
  • Gabe's Song (Elements of Love, #3)