Start by marking “Descendants of Darkness, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Descendants of Darkness, Volume 1

Descendants of Darkness, Volume 1 (Yami no Matsuei #1)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,077 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Asato Tsuzuki works as a shinigami, or 'Guardian of Death', in the Ministry of Hades. It's his duty to make sure that the souls of the dead reach the afterlife, but contrary ghosts and humanity's evils keep getting in the way of a job well done. With all these problem assignments, will he ever get a bonus?
Published September 14th 2004 by VIZ Media LLC

To ask other readers questions about Descendants of Darkness, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Descendants of Darkness, Volume 1

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
115th out of 827 books — 3,150 voters
Junjo Romantica, Volume 1 by Shungiku NakamuraTotally Captivated, Volume 1 by Hajin YooFinder, Volume 1 by Ayano YamaneThe Crimson Spell, Volume 1 by Ayano YamaneLoveless, Volume 1 by Yun Kōga
Yaoi / Shounen Ai / BL Manga
38th out of 494 books — 574 voters

More lists with this book...

Kiki
Jul 20, 2011 Kiki rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, manga
First of all, this manga began as Yami no Matsuei for me. Partly because I love saying it, and partly because I watched the anime first, and made sure to stay as far away from that awful English dub as I could.

It was horrific. Don't even go there. Unless it's Death Note or InuYasha, go Jap, you sap! It's sharper, clearer, more energetic and overall, just better for your health.

So!

I got to this manga/anime (let's stick with anime for the time being, since I watched first and read later) during my
Kati
Aug 11, 2008 Kati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every manga lover knows that Yami no Matsuei is one of the most famous manga series ever. And yes, it really is that good. Beautiful drawings, intriguing characters, interesting cases to solve for the Angels of Death aka Shinigamis. This manga is for people who like plot not just boys/girls looking cute and pretty!
Erin  Maccabe
Oct 20, 2011 Erin Maccabe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been in love with this series from the moment I finished the first book. The episodes are also a smash.
Kitty Holmes
[Reseña Global 12/12?]

Yami no Matsuei es un manga que echa aguas por todos lados: ni su trama es demasiado interesante (con relleno para dar y regalar y una carencia de lógica exasperante), como tampoco sus personajes. Como shonen ai vale bien poco porque sólo se dedica a calentar al personal sin llegar nunca a ningún lado y para el colmo la autora dejó el manga colgado y a día de hoy no parece que vaya a retomarlo.

Si al menos estuviera completa, aún podría recomendársela a alguien... pero tal c
Jody Mena
Jun 01, 2015 Jody Mena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Good story so far! Very creative meshing of fantasy, mythical and detective genres. What a very interesting twist on the afterlife! I can already see that this series is going to be pretty character driven, but I can already see that Tsuzuki is enough of a character to carry the story on his own. Though it states explicitly several times that it's not a yaoi manga, I'm not entirely convinced there aren't some BL undertones floating through this tale, there are very few female characters, and so ...more
Anna Rebecca
Oct 22, 2011 Anna Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! As I'm sure others have/will mention, this first volume is a bit confusing. I'm sure what helped me the most was that I had watched the anime first.

The concept of Descendants of Darkness is rather original. The mangaka has managed to take the fantasy, mythical, detective and shounen-ai genres and combine them into a very compelling concept. I really enjoy the governmental agency twist on the afterlife. It would seem that even in death there is no escaping the government! Poetic
Sophie
Mar 30, 2015 Sophie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review is going to be for the series as a whole, or as whole as it is at this point - I read all eleven volumes available in German, and took a peek at the raws of vol. 12.

I really liked it, although I am tempted to say that this is two series rather than one. The last two volumes especially had a very different feel to them (which isn't to say that they were bad; actually the opposite is true). It's not all that coherent, I have to say - sometimes, the comedy and drama feel oddly imbalance
Hope Jasmine
'Descendant's of Darkness' or 'Yami no Matsuei' depending on which one you prefer, follows Asato Tsuzuki and his partner Hisoka Kurosaki and the work they have as a Shinigami.

I'm just going to say this before anything else... If you want to watch the series, It's better to watch the Japanese Version. And no this choice has nothing to do with what Muraki sounds like... a little. (No offence to the Voice Actor, and if you are somehow reading this. I'm sorry and apologize.)

The series combines Fant
Leila Anani
One of my favourite manga series. The Ministry of Hades exists in Purgatory to hold and judge souls. The summoning department sorts out problems from the other departments, most notably helping to free souls who are supposed to have died but have become trapped for some reason. Asato Tsuzuki is the bureau's top agent - he's 96 (but looks 26) and he moves between purgatory and the human world solving supernatural cases.

The first story is a one off where his new partner actually turns out to be pi
Raven
May 01, 2009 Raven rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Pernah membayangkan apa yang ada di dunia kematian?

Mati pun tidak seburuk kelihatannya setelah membaca manga yang satu ini.

Lho kok?

Buktinya, shinigami penjemput orang mati yang biasanya seram dan suram digambarkan sebagai cowok-cowok cantik yang berkilauan :D

Di tangan komikus Yoko Matsushita, dunia setelah kematian tidak jauh dengan bumi kita. Hanya saja, ada beberapa masalah... seperti orang yang mati tidak sesuai dengan catatan kematian dan terkadang konflik dengan iblis. Dalam kasus seperti i
Christine (AR)
Aug 31, 2007 Christine (AR) rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
I love the concept behind this -- that restless souls of the departed can take jobs in the afterlife working for what is essentially the organizational government agency of the dead. I even like the two leads -- Tsuzuki on the surface is pretty and dumb, but his senitivity and naivete are an attempt to make up for the sins of his past, and it's possible to see why everyone in the series is in love and/or obsessed with him. His partner, Hisoka, is a 16 year-old murder/rape victim who wants to ave ...more
Somni
Sep 04, 2014 Somni rated it really liked it
I liked this series a lot. I kinda hated Hisoka because he was kind of a whiny douche, but that was just his character. I liked the anime as well as the manga, loved all the characters and it was a fun read as far as the series went without going on hiatus. Awesome concept and great storytelling.

Too bad no one ever picked up the remaining series now that it's out of hiatus.
Jenni Noordhoek
Apr 03, 2015 Jenni Noordhoek rated it liked it
2.5/5 stars

I'm just not as impressed as I was supposed to be... art is difficult, same-face syndrome. I keep losing who is who. The 16yo and the 26yo look the same age. It's very late 90's/early 2000's shoujo art but not the best. =P

Story-wise, it's okay? It's not as good as some of the other stuff in the same genres (whether that be afterlife/shinigami mystery/adventure or just plain BL) but I'm sticking with it because it could go someplace.

Side note: trigger warning for fairly frequent impli
Lissibith
Jun 26, 2012 Lissibith rated it liked it
Oh, this series. This series is one of my most guilty of guilty pleasures. It's got a great concept of a detective bureau in the afterlife - though in some ways the idea is poorly thought out and always evolving.

In fact, get used to the world "evolving." This has very much a make-it-up-as-you-go feel. Also get used to not thinking too hard about what you're seeing, because a lot of the arcs don't make it easily past any close plot scrutiny.

The main character is funny and fun when he's allowed to
Wit
Dec 09, 2015 Wit rated it it was amazing
Tsuzuki is a shinigami, almost like a police man for lost souls who have passed on but haven't yet made it to the afterlife. Unfortunately he has a track record of losing shinigami partners, will his new mysterious parnter Hisoka be able to withstand Tsuzuki's curse?
Beth
Jul 20, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing
(review is for the entire series)

One of the first manga series I ever read, and one I still go back to read periodically. The art, and the main characters, are beautiful--Tsuzuki and his colleagues are classic biseinen (beautiful young men). Definite shonen-ai (flirting/hints of relationships between men) elements, but the wild and excellently told supernatural adventures will keep most people who are not shonen-ai fans reading. The story falls apart somewhere in the last volume (which I would r
Miss
Aug 01, 2013 Miss rated it liked it
hahaha man perspective is a funny thing isn't it?

i don't remember if i shipped anything the first time i read this but it's likely!

now i find the idea of shipping tsuzuki with hisoka mildly horrifying. hisoka's a child! i know this is bl but it had better stay subtextual because my entire soul rebels. TEN YEARS OLDER, TSUZUKI YOU HAD BETTER MENTOR THIS KID AND THAT'S ALL

this is what happens when you get old; suddenly you identify with the adults and freak out over the children

speaking of, wow mu
Viridian5
Jan 29, 2009 Viridian5 rated it did not like it
I didn't like the art or charactizations, particularly of Muraki, who lacks the creepiness he has on abundant display in the anime and is here just a "muwahahahahaha" nutcase complete with crazy eye. The partner Tsuzuki had before Hisoka looks so much like him that it kept confusing me. There's a ton of exposition and very little organic character development. It felt very slapdash to me.

I had no idea that the anime and manga were different from each other in this way. I'd assumed that the anime
Jocilyn
Sep 29, 2014 Jocilyn rated it really liked it
Hilarious and adorable. "Shingami" as portrayed by a horrible 90s cop show with yaoi and a bird-shaped tech services librarian as backup. Also, one of the funniest, rudest translations ever? Golden.
Tattered Cover Book Store
It details the travails of two humans conscripted into the post of Shinigami (literally translated the term means "death god". Basically these guys are Reapers, but with personal issues and sometimes cool Samurai swords) after their troubling deaths. They work for a vast and dysfunctional afterlife beaurocracy. Apparently there are things you can't escape even after death, government being one of them. They spend their time leading lost souls to their just reward. As with a lot of Manga it featu ...more
Sylene
Aug 15, 2014 Sylene rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Better than I thought, though I had a difficult time in some parts following the story line, but interesting and funny. I like Hisoka :) Tsuzuki is an idiot.
Cathryn Ferrara
Aug 17, 2012 Cathryn Ferrara rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Great series, I don't love the graphics as much as I do some other manga but I like the story line a lot.

Tsuzuki is a guardian of death charged with bringing in the souls of those who should have died but have not yet. He is one of many restless souls who did not pass on as they should have and instead went to work for the great afterlife bureaucracy. Let the games begin...

Matsushita manages to mix fantasy, adventure, mystery and romance with just enough of each to keep the reader entertained.
Rachel
Sep 23, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, manga, own
I picked this first volume from a used book store for around $2, and I'm glad that I did not spent any more money then that. I enjoyed the artwork and parts of the story were pretty funny. However, the plot just seemed all over the place, and I was just confused a lot of the time. I was expecting to love this, so I'm a little disappointed with this manga. I won't be buying any more volumes (unless I find them for $1-2).
Iruma
Jul 04, 2008 Iruma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
akhirnya setelah hampir sepuluh tahun nunggu terbit juga ini komik, padahal gw sendiri undah nonton animenya dari taun 2001, secara keseluruhan ini mencampurkan genre horor sama misteri, tapi nggak horor banget sih, tapi kesan misteriusnya itu yang bikin gw penasaran siapa sih sebenernya asato? terus apa sih hubungan dia sama muraki? duuuh penasaran banget,memang ini komik rada berat tapi worth banget di koleksi...
Pearl
Dec 19, 2013 Pearl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, urban-fantasy, manga
Once again standing in for the whole series.

I'm not sure what it is about this manga that always draws me back in. The writing isn't nearly as clear as it could be, the art is somewhat confusing at times, and the story often only makes sense if you insert your own bits of story. But I just really like it. It's terribly fun to read and I adore Hisoka and Tsuzuki. IDEK.
Jaime
Nov 21, 2008 Jaime rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Bishi lovers
I liked this one. I'm a great fan of will they/won't they, and there are so many pairs to chose from. The series is not without angst, which is fine by me. The art is great, clean lines and lots of pretty bois and flowing hair. Hey, I like my bishies, what can I say?
Lynx
Sep 14, 2011 Lynx rated it really liked it
Ah... very good book.

But... sudden stop issue for years. [Due to ... reason...]

I am so happy that the book release again in last year [year 2010]
Await for the ending of the story.

Check the editor website:
earthy
Sep 17, 2008 earthy rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, comics, manga
Tsuzuki and Hisoka are great characters, but the art deteriorates at times to a messy-looking doujinshi sort of style. Still, the story is fun and the characters are worth rooting for. Will stick with it for at least another volume.
Winniee Lee
Jul 10, 2013 Winniee Lee rated it it was amazing
Watched the anime and just couldn't get enough of it.! This series is so intriguing and refreshing! Loved the first volume and cant wait to read more! (Never been this excited about reading before)
CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause something just don't feel right
Not sure I like this, in fact I am pretty confused. I like Tsuzuki but can't stand his partner. Is this a shojo or a yaoi? I dunno. I'll read the next because the premise has promise.
  • Fake, Volume 02
  • Legal Drug, Vol. 1 (Legal Drug, #1)
  • Silver Diamond, Volume 01: Silver Seed
  • Eerie Queerie!, Volume 1 (Eerie Queerie!, #1)
  • Gravitation, Volume 03
  • Gorgeous Carat, Volume 01
  • Loveless, Volume 5
  • Yellow, Volume 01
  • Kizuna: Bonds of Love, Vol. 1
  • Godchild, Vol. 3
  • The Crimson Spell, Volume 1 (Crimson Spell, #1)
  • Only the Ring Finger Knows
Yoko Matsushita (松下 容子) is a mangaka best known for the supernatural series Yami no Matsuei (published in English as Descendants of Darkness).
More about Yoko Matsushita...

Yami no Matsuei (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Descendants of Darkness, Volume 2