Start by marking “An Owl Too Many (Peter Shandy, #8)” as Want to Read:
An Owl Too Many (Peter Shandy, #8)

An Owl Too Many (Peter Shandy #8)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  323 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Amateur sleuths Professor Peter Shandy and his wife Helen of Balaclava Agricultural College are back, faced with a very disagreeable--and very murdered--bird watcher during a traditional owl count. "Piquant puns, suitable silly nomenclature, and audacious adventures enliven MacLeod's latest".--Booklist.
Published April 1st 1992 by Warner Books (NY) (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about An Owl Too Many, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Owl Too Many

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Raven by Edgar Allan PoeI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
The Birds
94th out of 407 books — 71 voters
A Division of the Spoils by Paul ScottThe Horse's Mouth by Joyce CaryThe Day of the Scorpion by Paul ScottThe Towers of Silence by Paul ScottThe Best of Philip K. Dick by Philip K. Dick
REALLY Underrated Books (Fewer than 1,000 Ratings)
441st out of 2,931 books — 1,211 voters

More lists with this book...

Cornerofmadness
Kamas Kirian
Another great adventure for Peter Shandy! Even better, Thorkjeld Svenson takes a prominent place among the cast of characters again! We get some more incite into Miss Binks and another harrowing boating adventure (I do think the Shandy's will be refraining from anything nautical for awhile). The pacing was fast, and the plot points somewhat unexpected. It kept me guessing about who was actually involved in the shenanigans until near the end. MacLeod makes for excellent cozy mysteries (once again ...more
Sarah Adamson
A fun cozy mystery with so many interesting twists and turns! Kept me going - fascinating characters, great villains, wonderful heroes and heroines! Off to find more!
Carla
I just loved it! The whole series is great and I'm almost finished with it. I just may read them all again! I can just see these characters in a movie! The writing is fabulous!
Mary Byrnes
This was an okay book but not good enough to get me to go looking for others in the series.
Melody
Another excellent Peter Shandy story. Miss Binks has claimed her estate and is using the funds to built a field house and attached television station. When the alleged station engineer is murdered during the annual owl count a conspiracy is exposed. This story unfolds the conspiracy and eventual capture of the criminals. The characters are intelligent, erudite and have witty senses of humour. I love that this author used words that I have to look up! I don't want to be pilox so I'll close this b ...more
Jim
This was not a very good book. At it's heart it wasn't too bad a mystery, but it tried so hard to be cute that I could never get into the story. There is a line between humor that adds to the character and humor that distracts to the point of annoyance. This story was on the wrong side of that line. If the author had removed two thirds of the cuteness and filled it with honest characterization this would have been an acceptable story. As it is, all I could look forward to was the end. The book d ...more
Carolyn
Nice, harmless story written with gentle humor. The unraveling of the mystery was sustained until the end and the well-written and light-hearted banter kept the story moving. I began to suspect the ultimate culprit about half-way through the story, but did not figure out the details, and I appreciate that. I also appreciate the non-use of profanity or overt sexual descriptions anytime. Call me a fuddy-duddy, but I will read more Peter Shandy Mysteries.
Maria
As I hoped, Winifred Binks is back. This is a lovely story that continues after Winifred has inherited her grandfather's millions and removed herself from living with nature to a small home. The TV station mentioned in the last book is being built when all the "fun" starts. Peter and President Svenson on the "tugboat" will long live in my memory. Sieglinde, as always, is amazing, although she and Helen only get a small part in this book.
Kim
I like Charlotte MacLeod, but her Peter Shandy mysteries are a little too twee. I still enjoy them, because they have all my favorite things - mysteries, smart people, conversation rather than all action, small villages, etc. But they are a bit much. I much prefer the Sarah and Max series.
Susan
I can’t express how much I enjoy Charlotte MacLeod’s stories. She creates characters that invite you into their quiet life while they hunt for who did it. Her style makes me think of Georgette Heyer’s mysteries and Agatha Christie’s Miss Marple mysteries.
Karschtl
Stopped reading after about 10pages. Am afraid that this country-mystery-style is not my thing (anymore). And furthermore I simply need to get rid of a couple of books and don't want to waste my time with books that are only mediocre.
Barbra
The Annual Owl Count is serious business at Balaclava Agricultural College, so starts another Peter Shandy Mystery. This was a very enjoyable read clear through to the end.
J
The Peter Shandy mysteries are good quick reads. There is a wry sense of humor in them that make them all the more fun to read.
Elaine
interesting, eccentric characters, a good mystery, lots of gentle humor.
Bev
I can't resist an academic mystery and Peter Shandy is such a great character!
Carol
An entertaining, bizarre mystery for light reading.
Teddi
Another so-so entry in the series. On to the next....
Jodielynn
Jodielynn marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Penny Cochran
Penny Cochran marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Corey
Corey marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
  • The Grub-And-Stakers House a Haunt
  • The Bishop Goes to the University (Blackie Ryan, #15)
  • Murder and the First Lady (Eleanor Roosevelt, #1)
  • Closely Akin to Murder (Claire Malloy, #11)
  • The Stolen Blue (Claire Reynier, #1)
  • Bring Your Own Poison (Trailer Park Mystery, #4)
  • Nice Girls Finish Last (Robin Hudson, #2)
  • I.O.U. (Jenny Cain, #7)
  • We'll Always Have Parrots (Meg Langslow, #5)
  • Dead as a Dodo (Homer Kelly, #12)
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • Amelia Peabody Omnibus (Amelia Peabody, #1-4)
  • War and Peas (Jane Jeffry, #8)
Naturalized US Citizen

Also wrote as Alisa Craig

Charlotte MacLeod, born in New Brunswick, Canada, and a naturalized U.S. citizen, was the multi-award-winning author of over thirty acclaimed novels. Her series featuring detective Professor Peter Shandy, America's homegrown Hercule Poirot, delivers "generous dollops of...warmth, wit, and whimsy" (San Francisco Sunday Examiner and Chronicle). But full
More about Charlotte MacLeod...

Peter Shandy (10 books)
  • Rest You Merry (Peter Shandy, #1)
  • The Luck Runs Out (Peter Shandy, #2)
  • Wrack and Rune (Peter Shandy, #3)
  • Something The Cat Dragged In (Peter Shandy, #4)
  • The Curse Of The Giant Hogweed (Peter Shandy, #5)
  • The Corpse In Oozak's Pond (Peter Shandy, #6)
  • Vane Pursuit (Peter Shandy, #7)
  • Something in the Water (Peter Shandy, #9)
  • Exit the Milkman (Peter Shandy, #10)
Rest You Merry (Peter Shandy, #1) The Family Vault (Kelling & Bittersohn, #1) The Silver Ghost (Kelling & Bittersohn, #8) The Withdrawing Room (Kelling & Bittersohn, #2) The Luck Runs Out (Peter Shandy, #2)