Start by marking “Gandhi: A Manga Biography” as Want to Read:
Gandhi: A Manga Biography

Gandhi: A Manga Biography

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  66 reviews

The life of a true twentieth-century hero told in a vibrant graphic novel format.

Through his quietly powerful leadership and influential use of nonviolent resistance in India's struggle against the British Raj, Mahatma Gandhi became one of the most revered figures of the modern era. While history has recorded Gandhi's words and deeds, the man himself has been eclipsed

Published September 27th 2011 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Gandhi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gandhi

David Stewart
This was awful. It shocks me that something like this could get through the editing process and whatever quality control that Penguin has in place. The translation is broken, it's riddled with typos, and the dialogue bubbles are broken up mid-sentence, which might not seem so bad given how awful the writing is, but it breaks that horror up even more.

Gandhi's story is told in pretty typical manga form, though perhaps muted somewhat from the usual flamboyance found in those style of novel. Strang
Lauren
I appreciated this biography as it is both simplistic and beautiful in its form. The artwork at times reminded me a little bit of Craig Thompson, and I found myself thinking of the parallels in both Habibi and Satrapi's Persepolis as I read. It's a quick read (under an hour), and eloquently but realistically highlights the struggles Gandhi and his people endured in the name of peace.

My knowledge of him was limited to what I knew from school and some articles I've read, so this was an enlightenin
Alison
I'm shocked that this book was published in its current form. It is RIDDLED with typos (missing punctuation, dropped letters, symbols inserted where letters should be), and the translation is so poor that some sentences literally make no sense. On top of that, the storytelling is poorly executed -- it leaps from place to place with zero explanation -- and the art is often difficult to follow. It's hard to figure out whether the author intended this to be read by adults or children, as it meander ...more
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
This was disappointing. Tons of typos and stilted, awkward dialog made for a jarring, painful read. The pacing was off too. Not one of the best reads of the year by a long shot.
Almitra
Gandhi: A Manga Biography was a biography on Gandhi in the form of a graphic novel. It follows the life of Gandhi from a young age up until his death. It discusses his family and his trip abroad. In this graphic novel, it follows Gandhi's life from his early years in India to when he was a young adult and moved to South Africa in order to study law and then to when he moved back to India to fight for independence and fairer treatment from the ruling British Empire.

I enjoyed this graphic novel be
Maughn Gregory
The chief merit of this manga (Japanese comics) rendition of Gandhi's life is that it provides a broad overview of major events and themes, in chronological order - which his own writings do not. I join the artist's hope that it will introduce Gandhi to readers who might otherwise not know who he was and what he did. But for anyone really interested, there is no substitute for reading Gandhi himself.
Sabiha Hussain
This book is a biography of the life of Mahatma Gandhi in a graphic novel format. It is probably best suited for older kids for understanding, but I think the language can be read by third, fourth, and fifth graders. The author is Kazuki Ebine who is actually Japanese and just studied Gandhi’s life in order to write the manga biography. It starts with when Gandhi was a child and goes through all of the events that occur right up until his death. I think the fact that it is written in a graphic n ...more
James Payne
Truly bad: typos galore, on-the-nose narration and dialogue throughout, bad translation, topped off by unexplained and unwarranted narrative jumps. Making a mental note to not read comics published by Penguin after this and that "War is Boring" mental trauma I experienced last year. Nice cover though, so Penguin can still do that.
Tim Baumgartner
This graphic novel of Gandhi was interesting to me. Yesterday, I went to visit a Jain temple next door to one of my student's house/apt. Learning about Jainism made me think Gandhi was Jain. There are debates about this, but that's what it looks like to me at this point (although I have had limited exposure to material on Gandhi). I'll have to ask my student's family their take on Gandhi's religion. I rated this book with 4 stars, but this is probably not a fair rating because I was hoping to se ...more
Michele C
This was so great! If you love Gandi I would highly recommend it..even if you don't i recommend it since it is a really quick read and is very interesting!
Travis Bren
This book was written by Kazauki Ebine and is in a graphic novel format showing Mahatma Gandhi's life through pictures and illiustrations. This was a good read as it was very informational and really showed the importance of Gandhi and what he did to accomplish his goals. He was a leader for his religion and culture and did whatever he could to stop the discrimination on his own kind without the use of violence. There were many typos and had confusing dialogue but other than that, it was a good ...more
Heather Acker
This manga was a solid 3. There are things that could have been improved upon, but overall, I enjoyed it and learned a great deal.

Pros:
-the transitions of Gandhi's lifetime were made clear (sometimes with manga, the passage of time is not made so clear)
-the different perspectives were refreshing
-the dialogue was human and was excellent integrating real quotes from Gandhi's life

Cons:
-the editor/translator should have paid better attention. There are many misspellings in the dialogue
-sometimes th
Rachel
I picked this up on a whim while browsing the adult graphic novel section. It isn't a manga in the strictest terms, but is printed on newspaper paper, so I guess it qualifies. I will admit that I didn't know much about Gandhi except the little I remember from being forced to watch Ben Kingsley as the man in 7th grade (good movie by the way but way too long to except middle schoolers to pay attention to for extended periods of time). I knew that he helped India achieve nationhood in 1947 and come ...more
Maya
In the graphic novel Gandhi by Kazauki Ebine the author shows Gandhi grow. Gandhi grows from the initiation, of him being a young man to a polished politician. He openly practiced toleration and patience with in his community back in India as well as in South Africa. He showed passive-resistance and never revolted against anyone even when he suffered from great discrimination in South Africa. This graphic consists of 192 pages adorned with images and writing that best reflects Gandhi's life, fro ...more
Katie
Ebine, K. (2011). Gandhi: A manga biography. New Delhi: Penguin Books.

Summary: Gandhi was an educated man who stood up for what was right while peacefully enacting civil disobedience. People around the world looked to him as a model for peaceful activism. Even up until his death, he fought for people's rights and for peace between people. It was his life calling.

Review: Booklist (November 15, 2011 (Vol. 108, No. 6))
Grades 7-10. How did a shy boy become Mahatma Gandhi, the founder and leader of
Darlene
Book 65 Bibliographic Citation:
Ebine, K. (2011). Gandhi: A manga biography. New York, NY: Penguin Books.

Age/Grade Level: (Ages 13-18, Grades 7—12)

Summary:
The story of the life of Mahatma Gandhi, whose mantra is nonviolent civil disobedience, is shared through manga drawings, quick concise text, and verse. From his earliest years to his death, the reader is taken along with him on his journey spanning decades of fighting for that which is right, the equality of the Indian people.

Awards/Reviewing
Ryaan Basheer
I didn't have high hopes for this manga when I first picked it up, I expected it to be inaccurate or perhaps lacking in detail but I was pleasantly surprised. The graphic novel begins early on in Gandhi's life before his famed non-violent protest against the British. It explores his difficulty with public speaking as a child and his distaste with the caste system in his early teens. The novel then progresses to another relatively unknown period of Gandhi's life where he studies to be a lawyer in ...more
Lauren
Very similar format to Attenborough's 1982 movie, which Ebine notes as one of the main sources for his work. Many other reviewers noted the typos, which were plenty, but it didn't take away from the overall story for me. Having read other bios of Gandhi, I was familiar with many parts of the story and the varied locations - not knowing these things previously, I would have been confused by the time and location jumps.

Great artwork - beautifully illustrated.
Gregorius Gerry Purnomo
A quick read in the library.
The manga is very easy to read and give some introduction to Mahatma Gandhi. However, some meaning may be lost in translation, and part of Gandhi's life is only told briefly.

It is a good book for early insight of Gandhi's life, but I believe one should find detailed biography to fully experience Gandhi's life.
MARK SORENSON
I chose to read this graphic novel to learn more about Gandhi. I felt like this book accomplished my desire to understand the actions and shows hows influential Gandhi is to people around the world. It was not a humorous book or very action packed but if you are looking for a interesting read Ghandi by Kazuki Ebine is a great choice.
iamjenai
I enjoyed reading this manga. It was a fast read as this manga/graphic novel is just 192 pages. I knew that Mahatma Gandhi was an Indian hero, and that he was the one who lead the salt march (for the Indian Independence). However, I was not aware of all the things he did for his country to be considered as a great man in India. I even didn't know the meaning of Mahatma until I read this manga. Mahatma means Great Soul and that Mahatma Gandhi's real name is Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi.

This manga w
Christina
This ebook has so much to offer! It is a nonfiction, manga-type graphic novel. The author tells about Gandhi, one of the most influential people in the history of the word. He is even credited with influencing the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and his peaceful practices. One on Gandhi's most famous sayings is to "be the change you want to see in the world". This ebook literally shows how he did just that. He was a champion of his people and a true man of peace. This ebook is a great addit ...more
Cindy Hudson
Award-winning manga artist Kazuki Ebine has created a new book about one of the world’s greatest men. Gandhi, A Manga Biography follows Mahatma Gandhi from the time he remembers seeing injustice against his countrymen when he was a child, until he takes his last breath. In between, the illustrations and narrative tell the compelling story of Gandhi’s journey from being a “fine English gentleman” to the beginnings of his passive resistance in South Africa, and ultimately, to his rise as a symbol ...more
Stacia
I enjoyed the book and read it in one sitting. I would have enjoyed it more if it were not for multiple mistakes in grammar... overall, informative and enjoyable to read.
Dkagape
Enjoyed it! Concise and well drawn manga about Gandhi's life. I wish it was in color and didn't have so many gaps in time (sometimes author skipped decades).
Mary
GRAPHIC NOVEL, NONFICTION

This book was my first encounter with Manga-- and graphic novels for that matter. I was a little hesitant to embark on such a genre, but I was delightfully surprised at how entertaining and even more so inspiring this book was. The political and philosophical threads of Gandhi's life are beautifully woven through Ebine's captivating illustrations of carefully chosen scenes. It was a very fast paced read, and very informative. Manga is a good way to consume nonfiction. Pe
Lindsay
Didn't really add anything to my understanding of Gandhi, but decent nonetheless.
Theresa Schneider
Excellent introduction to Gandhi's life and accomplishments.
Septy Dewi
satu kata aja, peace
Bracelle Trujillo
Secondary (7-12)

Reviewed by Booklist on 11/15/2011 (Vol. 108, No. 6) (retrieved from titlewave)

Gandhi is the story of the life of Mohandas Gandhi told through a manga style. It includes the key events and beliefs that led to Gandi to success in his life.

This book can be integrated into AASL standard 1.2.3(Demonstrate creativity by using multiple resources and formats) in that manga is truly a unique format for portraying an individual's biography.

Ebine, K. (2011). Gandhi. New York: Penguin.
  • Mangaman