The Essential Urban Farmer

The Essential Urban Farmer

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The "how-to" guide for a new generation of farmers from the author of Farm City and a leading urban garden educator.

In this indispensable guide, Farm City author Novella Carpenter and Willow Rosenthal share their experience as successful urban farmers and provide practical blueprints-complete with rich visual material-for novice and experienced growers looking to bring th...more
Published December 27th 2011 by Penguin Books

Kathryn Siuniak
Great book. Well written and covers the basics from day one to harvest (be it vegetable or animal). The authors' enthusiasm makes this an interesting read, especially in reflection after a first year's garden. They don't endorse anything rash, however, and stress responsible decision making. This was a great read and wi be an invaluable reference as I expand some of my ventures.
Joy
I didn't realize this was going to be a complete guide to farming/gardening - glad I got it though! I'll keep an eye out for a cheap version to buy - it's a really good reference to own. Lots of applicable info on front yard and container gardening.
Yvonne Loveday
Great reference. Love Novella.
Ellen Bell
This is the most comprehensive book I think I've ever read on any specific topic. It is almost an encyclopedia of sorts, covering every aspect imaginable of gardening/farming in an urban setting. For anyone who is serious about growing or raising their own food and doing so in an organic, sustainable way, I would highly recommend this book! I checked it out through the library, but this is one volume that I will likely purchase to add to my gardening reference collection.
Beverly
Skimmed through most of it. Was more for starting garden from nothing. I was looking for info on vertical gardening and small space gardening.
Nina Carter
I've just begun this book, and I'm already seeing some really practical and great ideas. I did find the yield described for 3 hives ODD, since I would expect close to 48 liters out of one strong hive.
Dani
A solid reference book for urban farming - easily rivals Carl Emery's classic homesteading tome, but with a more science-based and environmental focus. Good for novices and experienced land lovers.
Lisa
Essential to anyone involved in urban farming. I love this enough that I have both the print and kindle version as I feel it will be a constant reference as we build Urbanstead.
Megan
This book has SO much good information! Very well written and easy to understand. I learned some things about seed starting, and plant anatomy!
Fritz
Mucho useful. An excellent reference in its own right. A great springboard to a lot of other more in depth sources.
Julia
Really enjoying this so far. Lots of good information and inspiration.
foodagtivista
Chock full of inspiration & information!
Catherine
Tons of useful, practical information.
Jes
So informative. Great reference guide.
Martha
May 28, 2012 Martha added it
comprehensive
Mills College Library
635.977 C296 2011
Gregory Verrilli
Gregory Verrilli marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Larry
Larry marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Doodle
Doodle marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
klo
klo marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Jennifer Jigarjian
Jennifer Jigarjian marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Ali Yuen
Ali Yuen marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Maria
Maria added it
Jul 13, 2014
Peter Zeilstra
Peter Zeilstra marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Lindsay Hurth
Lindsay Hurth is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2014
Tyler Kozlowski
Tyler Kozlowski marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
  • Your Farm in the City: An Urban-Dweller's Guide to Growing Food and Raising Animals
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • Urban Homesteading: Heirloom Skills for Sustainable Living
  • Urban Farm Handbook: City Slicker Resources for Growing, Raising, Sourcing, Trading, and Preparing What You Eat
  • Farm Anatomy: Curious Parts and Pieces of Country Life
  • Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living
  • Free-Range Chicken Gardens: How to Create a Beautiful, Chicken-Friendly Yard
  • Little House in the Suburbs: Backyard Farming and Home Skills for Self-Sufficient Living
  • The Quarter-Acre Farm: How I kept the patio, lost the lawn, and fed my family for a year
  • Eliot Coleman's Winter Harvest Handbook: Four Season Vegetable Production for the 21st Century
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • Making It: Radical Home Ec for a Post-Consumer World
  • Barnheart: The Incurable Longing for a Farm of One's Own
  • The Accidental Farmers: An urban couple, a rural calling and a dream of farming in harmony with Nature
  • Grow Great Grub: Organic Food from Small Spaces
Novella Carpenter grew up in rural Idaho and Washington State. She majored in biology and English at the University of Washington in Seattle. While attending Berkeley’s Graduate School of Journalism, she studied under Michael Pollan for two years. Her urban farm began with a few chickens, then some bees, until she had a full-blown farm near downtown Oakland.

Author photo courtesy of author website.
More about Novella Carpenter...
Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer Gone Feral: Tracking My Dad Through the Wild Don't Jump!: The Northwest Winter Blues Survival Guide Rendezvous Reader: Northwest Writing