Start by marking “The Essential Urban Farmer” as Want to Read:
The Essential Urban Farmer

The Essential Urban Farmer

The "how-to" guide for a new generation of farmers from the author of Farm City and a leading urban garden educator. In this indispensable guide, Farm City author Novella Carpenter and Willow Rosenthal share their experience as successful urban farmers and provide practical blueprints-complete with rich visual material-for novice and experienced growers looking to bring th ...more
Published December 27th 2011 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about The Essential Urban Farmer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential Urban Farmer

Kathryn Siuniak
Sep 09, 2013 Kathryn Siuniak rated it it was amazing
Great book. Well written and covers the basics from day one to harvest (be it vegetable or animal). The authors' enthusiasm makes this an interesting read, especially in reflection after a first year's garden. They don't endorse anything rash, however, and stress responsible decision making. This was a great read and wi be an invaluable reference as I expand some of my ventures.
Joy
Aug 10, 2012 Joy rated it really liked it
I didn't realize this was going to be a complete guide to farming/gardening - glad I got it though! I'll keep an eye out for a cheap version to buy - it's a really good reference to own. Lots of applicable info on front yard and container gardening.
Beverly
Apr 07, 2014 Beverly rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Skimmed through most of it. Was more for starting garden from nothing. I was looking for info on vertical gardening and small space gardening.
Jerry Cheung
Feb 13, 2015 Jerry Cheung rated it really liked it
An in-depth and broad coverage of the authors' experiences at farming in an urban setting. The term "urban farming" annoys me with it's hipster connotations, but the book was genuine in tone and advice. It reads fine sequentially, but I find it more valuable as a reference book -- picking and choosing sections as questions come up. It covers site selection, preparation, growing high yield and high value vegetables in small spaces, bee keeping, rabbits, and goats. I skipped the animal section bec ...more
Story
Jan 31, 2015 Story rated it it was amazing
This is a truly essential guide. Written with great experience and wry humor, this book has detailed information on just about every topic you can think of in urban agriculture, and what's beyond the scope of this volume, the authors give clear ideas about where to find more information. It's already improved my garden. I need to get my own copy instead of just borrowing the library's. I can't recommend this book enough if urban farming is your thing.
Ellen Bell
Jun 17, 2013 Ellen Bell rated it it was amazing
This is the most comprehensive book I think I've ever read on any specific topic. It is almost an encyclopedia of sorts, covering every aspect imaginable of gardening/farming in an urban setting. For anyone who is serious about growing or raising their own food and doing so in an organic, sustainable way, I would highly recommend this book! I checked it out through the library, but this is one volume that I will likely purchase to add to my gardening reference collection.
Nina Carter
Sep 28, 2012 Nina Carter rated it really liked it
I've just begun this book, and I'm already seeing some really practical and great ideas. I did find the yield described for 3 hives ODD, since I would expect close to 48 liters out of one strong hive.
Yvonne Loveday
Jun 07, 2014 Yvonne Loveday rated it it was amazing
Great reference. Love Novella.
Megan
Feb 29, 2012 Megan rated it it was amazing
This book has SO much good information! Very well written and easy to understand. I learned some things about seed starting, and plant anatomy!
Lisa
Apr 08, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Essential to anyone involved in urban farming. I love this enough that I have both the print and kindle version as I feel it will be a constant reference as we build Urbanstead.
Catherine
May 24, 2012 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: green, farm
Tons of useful, practical information.
Fritz
Aug 19, 2012 Fritz rated it really liked it
Mucho useful. An excellent reference in its own right. A great springboard to a lot of other more in depth sources.
Dani
Jun 06, 2012 Dani rated it it was amazing
A solid reference book for urban farming - easily rivals Carl Emery's classic homesteading tome, but with a more science-based and environmental focus. Good for novices and experienced land lovers.
Martha
Apr 13, 2012 Martha added it
comprehensive
Jes
Jun 03, 2012 Jes rated it it was amazing
So informative. Great reference guide.
Barbara
Jun 13, 2014 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening
Mills College Library
635.977 C296 2011
foodagtivista
May 30, 2012 foodagtivista rated it really liked it
Chock full of inspiration & information!
Carolyn
Nov 07, 2015 Carolyn rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up, non-fic
too generic
Theresa
Jan 14, 2013 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Novella Carpenter is an inspiration! Read Farm City too!
Booklass Garrahan
Booklass Garrahan rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2012
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Sandra Štasselová
Sandra Štasselová rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2015
Loren DeJonge Schulman
Loren DeJonge Schulman rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2012
Diana
Diana rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2012
Carrie
Carrie rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2014
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Barbara Wetzell
Barbara Wetzell rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Your Farm in the City: An Urban Dweller's Guide to Growing Food and Raising Animals
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • Farm Anatomy: Curious Parts and Pieces of Country Life
  • Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More
  • Urban Farm Handbook: City Slicker Resources for Growing, Raising, Sourcing, Trading, and Preparing What You Eat
  • Eliot Coleman's Winter Harvest Handbook: Four Season Vegetable Production for the 21st Century
  • Free-Range Chicken Gardens: How to Create a Beautiful, Chicken-Friendly Yard
  • Vertical Vegetables & Fruit: Creative Gardening Techniques for Growing Up in Small Spaces
  • Urban Homesteading: Heirloom Skills for Sustainable Living
  • Little House in the Suburbs: Backyard Farming and Home Skills for Self-Sufficient Living
  • Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living
  • The Self-Sufficient Gardener
  • The Self Sufficient-ish Bible: An Eco-living Guide for the 21st Century
  • The Ultimate Guide to Homesteading: An Encyclopedia of Independent Living
  • Restoration Agriculture
  • Making It: Radical Home Ec for a Post-Consumer World
  • City Farmer: Adventures in Urban Food Growing
Novella Carpenter grew up in rural Idaho and Washington State. She majored in biology and English at the University of Washington in Seattle. While attending Berkeley’s Graduate School of Journalism, she studied under Michael Pollan for two years. Her urban farm began with a few chickens, then some bees, until she had a full-blown farm near downtown Oakland.

Author photo courtesy of author website.
More about Novella Carpenter...