Start by marking “The Essential Urban Farmer” as Want to Read:
The Essential Urban Farmer

The Essential Urban Farmer

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The "how-to" guide for a new generation of farmers from the author of Farm City and a leading urban garden educator. In this indispensable guide, Farm City author Novella Carpenter and Willow Rosenthal share their experience as successful urban farmers and provide practical blueprints-complete with rich visual material-for novice and experienced growers looking to bring th ...more
Published December 27th 2011 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about The Essential Urban Farmer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential Urban Farmer

Kathryn Siuniak
Great book. Well written and covers the basics from day one to harvest (be it vegetable or animal). The authors' enthusiasm makes this an interesting read, especially in reflection after a first year's garden. They don't endorse anything rash, however, and stress responsible decision making. This was a great read and wi be an invaluable reference as I expand some of my ventures.
I didn't realize this was going to be a complete guide to farming/gardening - glad I got it though! I'll keep an eye out for a cheap version to buy - it's a really good reference to own. Lots of applicable info on front yard and container gardening.
Skimmed through most of it. Was more for starting garden from nothing. I was looking for info on vertical gardening and small space gardening.
Jerry Cheung
An in-depth and broad coverage of the authors' experiences at farming in an urban setting. The term "urban farming" annoys me with it's hipster connotations, but the book was genuine in tone and advice. It reads fine sequentially, but I find it more valuable as a reference book -- picking and choosing sections as questions come up. It covers site selection, preparation, growing high yield and high value vegetables in small spaces, bee keeping, rabbits, and goats. I skipped the animal section bec ...more
This is a truly essential guide. Written with great experience and wry humor, this book has detailed information on just about every topic you can think of in urban agriculture, and what's beyond the scope of this volume, the authors give clear ideas about where to find more information. It's already improved my garden. I need to get my own copy instead of just borrowing the library's. I can't recommend this book enough if urban farming is your thing.
Yvonne Loveday
Great reference. Love Novella.
Ellen Bell
This is the most comprehensive book I think I've ever read on any specific topic. It is almost an encyclopedia of sorts, covering every aspect imaginable of gardening/farming in an urban setting. For anyone who is serious about growing or raising their own food and doing so in an organic, sustainable way, I would highly recommend this book! I checked it out through the library, but this is one volume that I will likely purchase to add to my gardening reference collection.
too generic
Nina Carter
I've just begun this book, and I'm already seeing some really practical and great ideas. I did find the yield described for 3 hives ODD, since I would expect close to 48 liters out of one strong hive.
A solid reference book for urban farming - easily rivals Carl Emery's classic homesteading tome, but with a more science-based and environmental focus. Good for novices and experienced land lovers.
Essential to anyone involved in urban farming. I love this enough that I have both the print and kindle version as I feel it will be a constant reference as we build Urbanstead.
This book has SO much good information! Very well written and easy to understand. I learned some things about seed starting, and plant anatomy!
Mucho useful. An excellent reference in its own right. A great springboard to a lot of other more in depth sources.
Jan 19, 2015 Kara added it
excellent tips for home gardening+. It would be great to have a section for colder climates.
Really enjoying this so far. Lots of good information and inspiration.
Maija Mikkila
Solid manual with lots of helpful drawings and it is organized well!
Novella Carpenter is an inspiration! Read Farm City too!
Chock full of inspiration & information!
Tons of useful, practical information.
So informative. Great reference guide.
May 28, 2012 Martha added it
Mills College Library
635.977 C296 2011
Paige O'Brien
Paige O'Brien marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Gretchen marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Julie  Webb
Julie Webb marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Sara Fisher
Sara Fisher marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Stephanie Hopkins
Stephanie Hopkins marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Dan Maev
Dan Maev marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
  • Your Farm in the City: An Urban Dweller's Guide to Growing Food and Raising Animals
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More
  • Urban Homesteading: Heirloom Skills for Sustainable Living
  • Urban Farm Handbook: City Slicker Resources for Growing, Raising, Sourcing, Trading, and Preparing What You Eat
  • Farm Anatomy: Curious Parts and Pieces of Country Life
  • Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living
  • Eliot Coleman's Winter Harvest Handbook: Four Season Vegetable Production for the 21st Century
  • Free-Range Chicken Gardens: How to Create a Beautiful, Chicken-Friendly Yard
  • Vertical Vegetables & Fruit: Creative Gardening Techniques for Growing Up in Small Spaces
  • Little House in the Suburbs: Backyard Farming and Home Skills for Self-Sufficient Living
  • The Resilient Homestead: Innovative Permaculture Systems for the Home and Farm--Based on Research and Development in Earthworks, Perennial Crops, Cold-Climate Rice Production, and Nutrient-Dense Food/Medicine from the Whole Systems Research Farm
  • The Holistic Orchard: Tree Fruits and Berries the Biological Way
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • The Permaculture Handbook: Garden Farming for Town and Country
  • Greenhorns: 50 Dispatches from the New Farmers' Movement
  • The Accidental Farmers: An urban couple, a rural calling and a dream of farming in harmony with Nature
Novella Carpenter grew up in rural Idaho and Washington State. She majored in biology and English at the University of Washington in Seattle. While attending Berkeley’s Graduate School of Journalism, she studied under Michael Pollan for two years. Her urban farm began with a few chickens, then some bees, until she had a full-blown farm near downtown Oakland.

Author photo courtesy of author website.
More about Novella Carpenter...