Start by marking “Househusband” as Want to Read:
Househusband

Househusband

3.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  284 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
"Lincoln Menner is finding out just how hard it is to be a woman. "When his wife Jo was offered her dream job, Linc supported her wholeheartedly, leaving his thriving landscape business in Los Angeles and moving to Rochester, New York. This was a chance to escape the cloying needs and atrocious tastes of his celebrity clientele, start over in fresh surroundings, and spend ...more
Published April 16th 2002 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about Househusband, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Househusband

Chocolat by Joanne HarrisLike Water for Chocolate by Laura EsquivelCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Food-Related Fiction
292nd out of 417 books — 511 voters
The Paragraph Ranch by Kay EllingtonConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaLove Walked In by Marisa de los SantosMan of the House by Ad HudlerOffbeat Love Stories and More by Jennifer K. Lafferty
Best Books: Light and Engaging Reads
7th out of 16 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Bookish
Jul 15, 2009 Bookish rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2009
Though this could have been a really promising topic, I thought the author handled the idea of becoming a househusband (or stay-at-home dad) in a superficial & silly way. I liked that it was funny and off-kilter, as that lent itself to the general mindset of Linc Menner during his first foray into being the at-home parent. However, I really took issue with feminizing him in order to make him a better, more competent caregiver. It was as if a man's man must be incapable of properly running a ...more
MaryJo
Apr 10, 2011 MaryJo rated it liked it
The author does a decent job depicting some of the stresses and frustrations in the life of a stay-at-home mom. The book drags on a bit, and I grew tired of the character and his conceited, overly controlling personality. In his own eyes, he was the best imaginable parent. Infinitely wiser than the moms in the neighborhood who let their kids watch (gasp!) The Little Mermaid and eat cheetos. His child is the most polite, well-behaved child in the neighborhood, speaking in full sentences at the ag ...more
Diane
Sep 23, 2013 Diane rated it it was ok
I thought this was an interesting book. I did look at some things in a new light after reading it. However, it was burdened by cliches and the 'battle between masculine and feminine.' For the most part, my husband and I (who both work from home) don't worry so much about 'manliness' or 'womanliness.' I kind of wanted him to just do what needed to be done and quit whining about it.

Everyone cleans their houses (although we're not all so anal and weird). Everyone has to clean up after their childre
Robin
I went into this book thinking it was going to be light, amusing chick lit (for lack of a better word) style, even though it’s written by a man. I mean, look at that cartoon cover. But it was actually a deeper, almost depressing look at what it means to be a stay at home parent, losing your own identity in the shadow of your working spouse.

Staying home starts out as a temporary situation. Jo has gotten a really good executive level job and the family have moved across the country. While Jo sett
Lynn Demsky
Jan 04, 2014 Lynn Demsky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"When his wife, Jo, is offered her dream job, Lincoln Menner leaves his thriving landscape business in Los Angeles and moves to Rochester, New York. This will be his chance to start over, spend a little time with their three-year-old daughter, and finally do things right at home.

But Linc had no idea what it really meant to be a househusband: to stay home every day, folding laundry, cleaning soap scum, and teaching his little girl to use the potty. To be ignored at parties by his wife’s colleague
Kerry Cerra
Feb 15, 2014 Kerry Cerra rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
I read this book many years ago with my book club, but it's stuck with me all this time. As a young stay at home mom, it appealed to my why-did-i-sign-up-for-this-unappreciated-exhausting-mess-fest-of-a-job? Ad Hudler hit the nail on the head with his portrait of a full time care taker. I laughed a lot and particularly loved the "vine" in the story. You'll have to read to see what I mean.

I'm not sure if he ever wrote anything else, but plan to check it out now.

UPDATE: Wow, I see he did write a
Louise
Apr 06, 2009 Louise rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was an endearing, funny, neurotic, hilarious novel about a "house husband". Lincoln Menner well-known landscape artist turned "Mr. Mom" while his CEO wife Jo, heads up the local operations at a large city hospital. Linc, alone all day with Violet, the couple's toddler learns how to handle diapers, potty training, dinners and housework. This was an "enjoyable" way to spend part of my day off!!

From back cover:
"When his wife Jo, is offered her dream job, Lincoln Menner leaves his thriving land
Kate
Linc Menner is a man who has just given up his job as a very successful landscaper in California to move to Western New York, where his wife has been hired to be CEO of a hospital. While Jo, his wife, laments her 12 hour days, Linc is left to deal with the whisperings of his neighborhood housewives who don't trust a man around their children (including his own 3 year old daughter), the struggles of maintaining a household, the pressures of being supportive of his wife, and his own struggle to fi ...more
Kay Huck
Jul 09, 2010 Kay Huck rated it it was amazing
Pulpwood Queens, you are in for a grand evening with Ad Hudler to talk about books and all things literary and the theme of his latest book Man of the House and gender identification. How many times as I was reading this book did I think, he's nailed it, he really understands and communicates well, what it means to be a stay-at-home caregiver. What I found insightful was the passion he gave the main character, Linc Menner, in his role of man of the house; candlelight dinners, extravagant dinner ...more
Tammy
Aug 06, 2014 Tammy rated it it was ok
This is a "Readers Choice Nominee" at my library. I mostly skimmed through it because I was bored.

I have ADD and the main character obviously does too. This made me smile because it's how my brain works too (he's talking about his 3-year-old daughter): "How could my entire life--my work and play, joy and unhappiness, satisfaction and frustration, freedom and captivity--all come from this little creature on my lap, who I love, more at this moment, less at others? Which reminded me: Lessen tensio
Emily Griffin
Feb 04, 2015 Emily Griffin rated it liked it
Not exactly a literary masterpiece but as a stay at home mum with two little ones, I could definitely relate and it was interesting to read a males perspective. I think I will be encouraging my husband to read this one, it might give him a bit of insight!
Chelle
Aug 12, 2009 Chelle rated it liked it
easy read. so, that is nice. I gave it three stars because I felt like it was uneventful, as being a stay at home parent is. Even though he talked about how much he was influencing his daughters life, that was all he had good to say about it. I felt like he really dwelled on the negative, which probably makes it a good book for someone who does not stay at home so, they can know how it feels. It made it depressing for me. The added recipes are kind of neat although, there was probably only one I ...more
Kiersten
Aug 22, 2012 Kiersten rated it it was amazing
Oh, this was a fun read! Wonderful descriptive analogies, laugh-out-loud funny, interesting. I enjoyed seeing the stay-at-home motherhood described in a way that elucidates things that I hadn't considered, even having lived those years with little ones. He is a creative dad and I appreciated the things that he spent his time doing. After being a homeschooling mom, I think I would be a different mother of toddlers if I could do it over again. I am actually making one of the recipes from the book ...more
Kelly
May 12, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it
A hilarious take on what happens when the husband stays home and the wife goes off to work the high powered job.

Ad Hudler explores the gender roles and dynamics found within the family, marriage and society at large. The best part is - he makes you laugh while also making you think.

I look forward to reading Man of the House, the second installment of the Menner Family next.

I am sure I will be laughing as I turn the pages.
Audrey
Feb 22, 2011 Audrey rated it liked it
Interesting book. I was grabbed by the title (as I so often am) but the book didn't pay off for me. Neither the story arc or the character arc carried me away. I liked the sub-plot of the protagonist's wandering mother but I didn't think it brought anything to the main plot.

The author included recipes that the protagonist cooked which I found charming and potentially delicious.
Lori
Jan 12, 2016 Lori rated it did not like it
I wish I could give this book 5 negative stars.
Shannon D'Arpino
Oct 04, 2011 Shannon D'Arpino rated it it was amazing
I loved this book for many reasons. I have always generalized "stay at home Mom" without feeling like a "stay at home Dad" has the same feelings. It was eye opening that a man could get it so right. Many of the insecurities felt by parents that choose to stay home.
It was a quick read that I would recommend.
Angie
Jun 01, 2009 Angie rated it it was ok
Reading for June Book Club. I was just irritated with this book the whole time I was reading it. It didn't make any sense in the beginning. It didn't explain what was going on, rather it assumed that you, as the reader, knew the background of the story.

I would have given it 1 1/2 stars if I could have.
Carolyn
Dec 29, 2008 Carolyn rated it really liked it
This is a fun, light-hearted read. The story is mostly autobiographical, and rings so true it almost hurts. Linc's wife gets her dream job on the East Coast, so Linc sells his successful landscaping business and begins a new life as a homemaker and full time parent to their two year old daughter.
Carolee
Jul 28, 2011 Carolee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yuk! Although the author's knowledge of plants was handy ... I've started to let my one ivy go ... let's see if I can get it to lap the room. This was a man trying to write a chick book ... didn't work for me - in fact, more than once found myself muttering 'wimp' under my breath.
Molly
Jun 26, 2011 Molly rated it really liked it
This is a fun and smart meditation on gender roles in our society. By making the "husband" the primary caregiver, Hudler manages to allow us to think even more about how women and stay-at-home mothers are treated. In that sense, this is a book as much about women as it is about men.
Mark Adams
Jun 09, 2011 Mark Adams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a husband who works from home. I totally connected with the main character. I really enjoyed the way the husband is adding and removing from his mental to do list. The recipes were the only thing I would have left out. They are necessary for the main character's love of cooking.
Debra
Sep 30, 2012 Debra rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-general
When the fammily relocates from California to New York for Joanne's job, husband Linc stays home to take care of Violet and their new home. He wants to find work, has to find work, but in the end, he decides raising their children is the best job he can have.
Marian
Jun 12, 2009 Marian rated it it was ok
This book was pretty dumb. Written from the POV of a househusband and all his freaking out about CHORES and being IN CONTROL and having to DO IT ALL. At the same time, it was a quick read and has interesting-sounding recipes. Appropriate for the beach or a plane.
Mary
Dec 27, 2013 Mary rated it liked it
A quick fun read about a stay at home Dad. Not every guy could do it. Besides nurturing his daughter and dealing his wife's hectic workload, he also helps his Mom work out a mid-life crisis.
JoAnn/QuAppelle
Jan 24, 2011 JoAnn/QuAppelle rated it really liked it
Very entertaining and sometimes amusing look at a man who has given up his career to stay home and care for their three-year old...and the house with which he becomes obsessed. He gives new meaning to the word "clean". Great observations about "woman's work".
Pamela
Mar 12, 2010 Pamela rated it liked it
Wow! Does he ever go into the mind of any woman who has stayed at home to care for children! This is one funny, fast, entertaining read. There is not much action, but the dialogue (mostly monologue) is witty--sometimes so funny that it is sad.
Holly
Sep 25, 2010 Holly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although the main character is a male, all of his thoughts, comments, etc... have a very feminine voice to me. Even if a man were in the role of a homemaker, he would not sound this girly. I'm trying to overlook this because it is reasonably entertaining.
Alyssa
Dec 13, 2015 Alyssa rated it did not like it
I read this to satisfy the "book set in my hometown" part of the 2015 reading challenge. I'm pretty sure the author has never stepped foot in Rochester and merely researched it, poorly, on the internet. The writing was lack luster and superficial.
Kathy
Jul 04, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it
A very good read. A male author gets what it's like to be a stay-at-home parent, complete with all the organized chaos that goes with it. It was a refreshing read, knowing I'm not the only parent who loses their mind from time to time!
  • Lucy Crocker 2.0
  • After the Rice
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Men I've Dated
  • The Art and Power of Being a Lady
  • Slow Food: The Case for Taste (Arts and Traditions of the Table)
  • The Great Fitness Experiment: One Year of Trying Everything
  • A Little Help From Above
  • Steampunk Style Jewelry: Victorian, Fantasy, and Mechanical Necklaces, Bracelets, and Earrings
  • She's in a Better Place (Fairlawn, #3)
  • Ladies with Options
  • This I Believe: Life Lessons
  • Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories: And Other Disasters
  • Prisoner of the State: The Secret Journal of Premier Zhao Ziyang
  • Cold Hands, Warm Heart

“I knew Jo would remember the evening as a success, though the details that created it would escape her.” 1 likes
“It is the journey, and if you don't stop to enjoy the little treats along the way you will go insane.” 1 likes