Start by marking “Please God Let it Be Herpes: A Heartfelt Quest For Love and Companionship” as Want to Read:
Please God Let it Be Herpes: A Heartfelt Quest For Love and Companionship

Please God Let it Be Herpes: A Heartfelt Quest For Love and Companionship

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Humorist-writer-mammal Carlos Kotkin is lucky in love-if lucky in love means he's had enough horrible, pathetic, and downright bizarre dating experiences to write a book. His trouble with females usually begins upon opening his mouth.Here, Carlos shares his ups and mostly downs of bachelorhood, including romantic conquests with a slew of childhood crushes, insane yogis, a ...more
Published March 6th 2012 by NAL (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Please God Let it Be Herpes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Please God Let it Be Herpes

Eunice Moral
Funny and witty.

It was the kind of book that you would want handy after you have read a life-shattering kind of book. It has that hilarious tone to it, not taking life too seriously. I won't lie it did make me laugh out loud, to the point that whenever I remember a scene from the book I will literally laugh out of the blue. I had to admit I read this during one of my darkest days, which I was pretty sure I was close to having depression, but this book actually did something good to me. Thanks
Lori Lakin Hutcherson
Disclaimer: I know Carlos. I like Carlos. I support Carlos as a funny person whenever or wherever he shares his unique brand of funny. What I didn't know is how much I would enjoy and yes, learn, from Carlos' book. For those of us who grew up without brothers or male friends willing to talk to us like girlfriends do about dating and how it makes them feel, this book does an excellent job at giving us a nice guys' eye-view on the subject. I do wish the book had a happy ending, because Carlos is c ...more
My first Goodreads giveaway win! Fun read that had me smiling and laughing through every page. I so enjoyed reading about his dating (mis)adventures that I was disappointed to reach the end of the book. Carlos Kotkin is certainly an author I would read again.
Kristi Bumpus
This book has some funny moments, though it's not very well-written. But I couldn't get past the fact that the author just didn't come across very likable. His attempts at self-deprecating humor are not believable, and his attitude toward the women he encounters seems shallow at best, disturbing at worst. I feel like maybe he was sitting around embellishing these tales for his guy friends, and one of them said, "Hey, you should write a book!" I'm not convinced he should have.
Great book! I chose to read this book while on my daily commute to DC via the MARC trains. More times than I can count I found myself in uncontrollable laughter which inevitability brought odd stares and annoyed glances. However the best was upon another burst of a loud chuckle I looked up to find myself sitting next to a white man in a cream colored, nicely pressed suit reading the bible. Oops! Realizing my predicament of being judged as an unsavory character, I subtly changed positions so that ...more
An easy read that sure made me laugh.
Donna Halloran
This was really a 2 1/2 stars. I liked it but didn't love it. I am not sure I would recommend it to anyone. It is the second comedian book I have read - they seem to follow a trend and I am not sure I would read another one. The stories were good and I laughed out loud often, but let's face it, I do that a lot so that is not saying much.
I have often been told I should write a book about my dating exploits. This is the book in the male version. IT was fine but not fantastic so... I am officially
Jul 17, 2013 Paul rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: chick, book
From the title I expected this book to be really funny, it is only somewhat funny. Carlos the author is completely and totally inept. Socially as well as sexually, and while the girls he gets involved in are total whack jobs he is not that much better. Every time I thought ok this girl he will finally let loose and tell everything about her that makes her crazy, you wind up getting the version you would be comfortable telling your mother. Carlos is a wimp and the book is not any better.
This book was not as funny as one would expect when diving into a comedy. I could count the number and types of amusement. Two smirks, two silent chuckles, and two laughs... Out of almost 300 pages. Really it was more sad. The writing is okay, but the format kind of repetitive. "Here's a girl I tried to date, it didn't work. Here's a girl I tried to date, it didn't work." I might recommend it to straight males who are really into action films.
Bencel James
Kotkin's autobio regarding his dating exploits is, at times, laugh-out-loud funny.
I relly enjoyed this book as i could relate it somewhat being middle aged and hopelessly single.not the title necessarily buti can imagine finding myself in these same's not easy being a nice guy. Though through it all he is sentimental and nasty at times but always with a good head on his shoulders
This book had me either laughing or grinning like a huge nerd the whole time I read it. Mr.Kotkin has had quite a few interesting things happen to him, and he wrote about them superbly. I can't say anymore, because I'd mess up and give something away but I HIGHLY reccomend this book! 9/10 :)
Chris Jue-Steuck
Not really sure why other people gave this book such high marks. It had some amusing bits, but overall it was not the quality of "memoir" as I've read from other comedian types. It does say something that I've been trying to read this book for over a year and just recently finished.
This book was hilarious! I was surprised at how funny it was, from the very beginning! Kotkin's stories of his dating perils had me cracking up, and it was also a well-written novel. I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes a good laugh!
This is such a fun book! It covers the dating ups and downs of the author, and there are so many LOL moments, I could nto put it down and our reading group is also having a good laugh! Great fast read and it was won on goodreads contest
Jennifer Ware
I received this book from Absolutely hysterical!!! The chapters from highschool brought back some embarrassing memories! Nice to know the male perspective after all these years! Very fun book and a fast read!
There were some very entertaining episodes in this book, but nothing beats the story behind the title. As a single woman, I think the dating stories look very similar from the other side - proving we're all in it together.
The title and cover art are completely misleading. The content is vanilla and the writing mediocre. I saw him read during his book tour; he's funny and endearing in person, but the book doesn't hold up.
Alison Wizer
The title and cover art lead me to believe I was going to be reading a scandalous account of the author's romantic life...what I read was less Tucker Max and more annoying drunk guy at the bar.
Quick read, no real point to it. Just a collection of stories. Overall, kind of funny but not all that well written. Also, there was no real closure to the book.
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
T marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Tim marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Harsha is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2015
Fernanda Vazquez
Fernanda Vazquez marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Zach marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015