Start by marking “Please God Let it Be Herpes: A Heartfelt Quest For Love and Companionship” as Want to Read:
Please God Let it Be Herpes: A Heartfelt Quest For Love and Companionship

Please God Let it Be Herpes: A Heartfelt Quest For Love and Companionship

Humorist-writer-mammal Carlos Kotkin is lucky in love-if lucky in love means he's had enough horrible, pathetic, and downright bizarre dating experiences to write a book. His trouble with females usually begins upon opening his mouth.Here, Carlos shares his ups and mostly downs of bachelorhood, including romantic conquests with a slew of childhood crushes, insane yogis, a ...more
Published March 6th 2012 by NAL (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Please God Let it Be Herpes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Please God Let it Be Herpes

Eunice Moral
Nov 05, 2014 Eunice Moral rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Funny and witty.

It was the kind of book that you would want handy after you have read a life-shattering kind of book. It has that hilarious tone to it, not taking life too seriously. I won't lie it did make me laugh out loud, to the point that whenever I remember a scene from the book I will literally laugh out of the blue. I had to admit I read this during one of my darkest days, which I was pretty sure I was close to having depression, but this book actually did something good to me. Thanks
Lori Lakin Hutcherson
Apr 02, 2012 Lori Lakin Hutcherson rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I know Carlos. I like Carlos. I support Carlos as a funny person whenever or wherever he shares his unique brand of funny. What I didn't know is how much I would enjoy and yes, learn, from Carlos' book. For those of us who grew up without brothers or male friends willing to talk to us like girlfriends do about dating and how it makes them feel, this book does an excellent job at giving us a nice guys' eye-view on the subject. I do wish the book had a happy ending, because Carlos is c ...more
Tonia
Nov 30, 2011 Tonia rated it it was ok
Kara
Dec 01, 2011 Kara rated it it was amazing
My first Goodreads giveaway win! Fun read that had me smiling and laughing through every page. I so enjoyed reading about his dating (mis)adventures that I was disappointed to reach the end of the book. Carlos Kotkin is certainly an author I would read again.
Donna Halloran
Jun 25, 2012 Donna Halloran rated it it was ok
This was really a 2 1/2 stars. I liked it but didn't love it. I am not sure I would recommend it to anyone. It is the second comedian book I have read - they seem to follow a trend and I am not sure I would read another one. The stories were good and I laughed out loud often, but let's face it, I do that a lot so that is not saying much.
I have often been told I should write a book about my dating exploits. This is the book in the male version. IT was fine but not fantastic so... I am officially
Sarah1sd
Apr 10, 2012 Sarah1sd rated it really liked it
Great book! I chose to read this book while on my daily commute to DC via the MARC trains. More times than I can count I found myself in uncontrollable laughter which inevitability brought odd stares and annoyed glances. However the best was upon another burst of a loud chuckle I looked up to find myself sitting next to a white man in a cream colored, nicely pressed suit reading the bible. Oops! Realizing my predicament of being judged as an unsavory character, I subtly changed positions so that ...more
Mackenzie
May 07, 2013 Mackenzie rated it it was ok
This book was not as funny as one would expect when diving into a comedy. I could count the number and types of amusement. Two smirks, two silent chuckles, and two laughs... Out of almost 300 pages. Really it was more sad. The writing is okay, but the format kind of repetitive. "Here's a girl I tried to date, it didn't work. Here's a girl I tried to date, it didn't work." I might recommend it to straight males who are really into action films.
Kristi Bumpus
Jan 03, 2014 Kristi Bumpus rated it it was ok
This book has some funny moments, though it's not very well-written. But I couldn't get past the fact that the author just didn't come across very likable. His attempts at self-deprecating humor are not believable, and his attitude toward the women he encounters seems shallow at best, disturbing at worst. I feel like maybe he was sitting around embellishing these tales for his guy friends, and one of them said, "Hey, you should write a book!" I'm not convinced he should have.
Paul
Apr 05, 2012 Paul rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick, book
From the title I expected this book to be really funny, it is only somewhat funny. Carlos the author is completely and totally inept. Socially as well as sexually, and while the girls he gets involved in are total whack jobs he is not that much better. Every time I thought ok this girl he will finally let loose and tell everything about her that makes her crazy, you wind up getting the version you would be comfortable telling your mother. Carlos is a wimp and the book is not any better.
Jeff
Apr 24, 2012 Jeff rated it really liked it
I relly enjoyed this book as i could relate it somewhat being middle aged and hopelessly single.not the title necessarily buti can imagine finding myself in these same situations.it's not easy being a nice guy. Though through it all he is sentimental and nasty at times but always with a good head on his shoulders
Olivia
Feb 20, 2012 Olivia rated it did not like it
The title and cover art are completely misleading. The content is vanilla and the writing mediocre. I saw him read during his book tour; he's funny and endearing in person, but the book doesn't hold up.
Evan Bai
Nov 19, 2016 Evan Bai rated it it was amazing
a fun read about a guy trying to find "the one" and getting into hilarious situations while he's at it, kotkin tells an emotionally-driven story of heartbreak, love, compatibility, and companionship in a comedic light. it made me laugh so 5/5.
Chris Jue-Steuck
Aug 03, 2015 Chris Jue-Steuck rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015
Not really sure why other people gave this book such high marks. It had some amusing bits, but overall it was not the quality of "memoir" as I've read from other comedian types. It does say something that I've been trying to read this book for over a year and just recently finished.
Abby
Dec 09, 2011 Abby rated it really liked it
This book was hilarious! I was surprised at how funny it was, from the very beginning! Kotkin's stories of his dating perils had me cracking up, and it was also a well-written novel. I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes a good laugh!
Yvonne
Dec 18, 2011 Yvonne rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun book! It covers the dating ups and downs of the author, and there are so many LOL moments, I could nto put it down and our reading group is also having a good laugh! Great fast read and it was won on goodreads contest
Jennifer Ware
Nov 15, 2011 Jennifer Ware rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodreads
I received this book from goodreads.com. Absolutely hysterical!!! The chapters from highschool brought back some embarrassing memories! Nice to know the male perspective after all these years! Very fun book and a fast read!
Kj
May 15, 2012 Kj rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, romance
There were some very entertaining episodes in this book, but nothing beats the story behind the title. As a single woman, I think the dating stories look very similar from the other side - proving we're all in it together.
Brooke-lynn
Dec 16, 2011 Brooke-lynn rated it really liked it
This book had me either laughing or grinning like a huge nerd the whole time I read it. Mr.Kotkin has had quite a few interesting things happen to him, and he wrote about them superbly. I can't say anymore, because I'd mess up and give something away but I HIGHLY reccomend this book! 9/10 :)
Sara
Jul 05, 2012 Sara rated it it was ok
Quick read, no real point to it. Just a collection of stories. Overall, kind of funny but not all that well written. Also, there was no real closure to the book.
Alison Wizer
Dec 10, 2011 Alison Wizer rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
The title and cover art lead me to believe I was going to be reading a scandalous account of the author's romantic life...what I read was less Tucker Max and more annoying drunk guy at the bar.
Nick L.
Nick L. rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2014
Will Dawson
Will Dawson rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Adam Maid
Adam Maid rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2012
Natanya
Natanya rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2012
Ben Jr.
Ben Jr. rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2012
Shelley
May 27, 2014 Shelley rated it really liked it
An easy read that sure made me laugh.
Mandy
Mandy rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2012
Heather McGrew
Heather McGrew rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2015
Kyla Briggs
Kyla Briggs rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2013
Mikey
Mikey rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
  • In the Shadow of Memory
  • Acid Indigestion Eyes
  • Shooting the Boh: A Woman's Voyage Down the Wildest River in Borneo
  • Much Ado About Loving: What Our Favorite Novels Can Teach You About Date Expectations, Not So-Great Gatsbys, and Love in the Time of Internet Personals
  • Long Red Hair
  • I See by My Outfit
  • If You Can't Live Without Me, Why Aren't You Dead Yet?!
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • Memoirs Of A Mangy Lover
  • Colored People
  • Special Exits
  • American Widow
  • Come On Shore and We Will Kill and Eat You All: A New Zealand Story
  • Ten Tea Parties: Patriotic Protests That History Forgot
  • The Breakup Bible: The Smart Woman's Guide to Healing from a Breakup or Divorce
  • Our Cancer Year
  • Green Shadows, White Whale: A Novel of Ray Bradbury's Adventures Making Moby Dick with John Huston in Ireland
  • Down Aisle Ten