Start by marking “The Water Men” as Want to Read:
The Water Men

The Water Men

Paperback
Published (first published June 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Water Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Water Men

TC
Sep 03, 2011 TC rated it it was amazing
A life in California, surfing in the Pacific, to me sounds perfect. Devon, England is hardly the West Coast. My view of the lifestyle has probably been distorted by too many American TV shows so this book sounded like a bit of an antidote.

Shawn McGuire was living the American dream, but it has now faded and he's wide awake. He has retired at the age of 36, a multi-millionaire, and returned to his home town of Newport Beach. His plan is to surf and to find some sort of spiritual nourishment. His
Ashley
Nov 19, 2011 Ashley rated it liked it
Kristen Morris
Oct 19, 2011 Kristen Morris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free as part of the goodreads first reads program. And while I was happy to receive it, I wasn't sure I would enjoy it, it's not my usual kind of fiction.

To be more precise, I don't usually read novels with male protagonists, and the subject matter was definitely out of my usual. I wasn't sure I would connect emotionally to this loner millionaire who seemed to be drifting through early retirement after returning to his hometown.

All of my concerns were for nothing, I com
Kimberly Morghan
Oct 25, 2011 Kimberly Morghan rated it liked it
This was a unusual book that meandered through a year in the life of someone who had reached his goal in life, financially, and was trying to figure out how to live. It was a little hard for me to relate to a group of people who made their fortune, retired young, and found themselves at a loss as to what to do with themselves. The lead character surfed, made friends, adopted a dog, tried to connect with his mother, and struggled with loneliness and lack of self-identity. I'm firmly in the "still ...more
P
Dec 31, 2011 P rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this on Goodreads. It's not really that I didn't like it, I just saw no point to it. Written in an unsophisticated style, with lots of fragments and simple sentences, I found it pretty annoying. The plot, such as it is, is also choppy and inane, basically describing what the characters do every day for a year-not much more exciting than following ME around for a year. The main character, a 36 year old multi-millionaire, struck me as whiny and stagnant. Remember the old kids' saying, "If ...more
Scott
Oct 04, 2011 Scott rated it really liked it
thanks to Goodreads.com for providing this book.

Engaging and a little hard to qualify/pigeonhole...one part a mellow, sober, kinder Rum Diary meets a sunny and less tragic Shipping News with a dash of Zen and the Art of Sex Wax and a pinch of non-ado (after the fact...as Lao Tzu would say: Do your work and then retire...). Read the book in two sittings (largely a fault of the hillbillies up the street hootin' and hollerin' for hours in the wee of the morning because their little hoodlums ran awa
Kelly Knapp
Oct 31, 2011 Kelly Knapp rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young men who are focused on money as success
Recommended to Kelly by: Goodreads Firstreads program
Shaun is wealthy, but that hasn't made him happy. In fact, the emptiness of his soul is so disturbing that he walks away and tries to return to a simpler time. A time when all that mattered was a special girl and that next big wave.

Returning home isn't quite what he expected. His mother is busy watching TV and Shaun finds that others are as lost or more so than is he. Can Shaun find meaning in his world?

Like Shaun's life, this book seems to just meander along. Shaun finds a dog and a wife. He he
Sherri
Oct 13, 2011 Sherri rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!
Her writing style is easy to read, and I love that it wasn't separated by numbered chapters.

If you're from California this will make you homesick to the max!
And you might find yourself with a sudden urge to get a dog.

This is one of those books that I'll be recommending to my friends, it was just that enjoyable to read.
I can't wait for my husband to read this, he surfed a lot growing up, I'm sure he'll love this story because it's so true, once you let the Pacific in your hea
Daniel
Oct 12, 2011 Daniel rated it liked it
Shawn McGuire has retired and at 36 still has his whole life ahead of him. But what to do? This "matter of factly" written account of Shawn's search leads him to some new friends but alway leads back to the ocean. I understand to a degree why he is drawn there because I too grew up near the ocean and don't think I could live anywhere else. Thank you Adelaide and Goodreads for bringing me this book.
Carol
Dec 16, 2011 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I was thrilled to receive this book from Firsreads!! Thank you Goodreads for choosing me as a winner of the book. I liked reading a book with a male main character; I usually don't select books like this. I really enjoyed the author's writing style and find the storyline very interesting. I applaud the author for her good work!
April
Apr 18, 2014 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: won-on-goodreads
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

This was a nice quiet read. Nothing overly dramatic and no action packed scenes. It was not boring though. There were many events and characters that kept me entertained and interested in what would happen next. Good characters having good life experiences. Overall, a very nice summer read.
Susan Collins
Susan Collins rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2011
Daniel Tilford
Daniel Tilford rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2011
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was ok
Sep 22, 2011
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2011
Troy
Troy rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2012
Lakwanza
Lakwanza rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2011
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2012
Natalie Daniels
Natalie Daniels marked it as to-read
Loony Gryphon
Loony Gryphon marked it as to-read
Lorian Jones
Lorian Jones marked it as to-read
Valentina
Valentina marked it as to-read
Christine Yvonne
Christine Yvonne marked it as to-read
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Jd Guinn
Jd Guinn marked it as to-read
Ronni Fox
Ronni Fox marked it as to-read
Wanda Morrison
Wanda Morrison marked it as to-read
Maxine
Maxine marked it as to-read
Brenda Knight
Brenda Knight marked it as to-read
Linda Stuetz
Linda Stuetz marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2011
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2011
Margaretann Rice
Margaretann Rice marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2011
Michele Wesley
Michele Wesley marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2011
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Jodi Boulier
Jodi Boulier marked it as to-read
Rick F.
Rick F. marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2011
Jeannette
Jeannette marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2011
Debbie Engel
Debbie Engel marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2011
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2011
Shannon Dykes
Shannon Dykes marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2011
Vilfreda
Vilfreda marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2011
Shirley Blair
Shirley Blair marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2011
Jason Jones
Jason Jones marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2011
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2011
Naomi M.
Naomi M. marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2011
Tracey Johnson
Tracey Johnson marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2011
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2011