Start by marking “Dining on Stones” as Want to Read:
Dining on Stones

Dining on Stones

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  8 reviews
An unreliable narrator, exiled on the coast, looks back on a book he may never have written. On a walk down the A13 from Aldgate Pump to Southend he acquires a package left by a missing woman - a package of stories that anticipate his quest.
Published April 28th 2005 by Penguin (first published April 29th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Dining on Stones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dining on Stones

Sharlene
I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. It was interesting and the writing was pretty brilliant, but I just couldn't sustain the interest. And left it 1/3 in.
Roisin
This book contains familiar themes involving a journey to the coast, which a writer takes in search of a package in the ownership of a woman, where music, the criminal underworld, dangerous places and hidden gems merge. Is the book that he trying to locate his writing or someone else's? You may join his journey, but might feel a bit disappointed. This book had some interesting journeys and places that may resonate, but not enough to keep the reader hooked in parts. He has written better books. B ...more
Deanne
When I started reading the book I recognised the building Sinclair talks about. I used to live in Hastings and walked past the apartment block which from the sea looks like a cruise liner. However after this I rapidly grew bored, didn't really like any of the characters and was relieved when I read the last page. Fortunately it was from the library so I could give it back.
Kate S
This was a strange journey. But I found myself enjoying it and regretting having to put it down. Definitely more style than substance, but engaging nonetheless. I wish I knew more about the physical space London occupies (and some of the history regarding this), but the ideas were understood regardless.
Rhianne
I mostly found myself skimming this book, rather than really paying proper attention to it. It definitely seemed like yet another book on the 1001 list where the author was more interested in being clever than crafting an actually readable book.

Not my thing at all..
Jonathan
It is forever associated for me with sharing a train compartment with three strangers, on the way to Stockholm from Ostersund. I guess the book was okay.
Yas
Eugh....the first couple of pages were enough to put me off...
Ahmad Sharabiani
Dec 01, 2010 Ahmad Sharabiani marked it as to-read
Shelves: 1001-book, fiction
12. Dining On Stones, Iain Sinclair
Jackie Squire
Jackie Squire marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Ali Shields
Ali Shields marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Kimberly Perez
Kimberly Perez marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Ismael Schonhorst
Ismael Schonhorst marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Meridel Weitz
Meridel Weitz marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Micaela
Micaela marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
E.v. Sage
E.v. Sage marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Ashley Kramer
Ashley Kramer marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Tamar
Tamar marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Tiffany Wolfert
Tiffany Wolfert marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Emmelien
Emmelien marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Lisa Seaberg
Lisa Seaberg marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Angelique
Angelique marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Domino09
Domino09 marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Dilara
Dilara marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Madelyn
Madelyn marked it as to-read
Eugene M.
Eugene M. marked it as to-read
Just a couple of questions 1 5 May 13, 2011 06:51PM
  • An Obedient Father
  • Celestial Harmonies
  • The Heart of Redness
  • The Colour
Iain Sinclair is a British writer and film maker. Much of his work is rooted in London, most recently within the influences of psychogeography.

Sinclair's education includes studies at Trinity College, Dublin, where he edited Icarus, the Courtauld Institute of Art (University of London), and the London School of Film Technique (now the London Film School).

His early work was mostly poetry, much of i
More about Iain Sinclair...
London Orbital Lights Out for the Territory: 9 Excursions in the Secret History of London Hackney, That Rose-Red Empire: A Confidential Report White Chappell, Scarlet Tracings Downriver