Start by marking “Sometimes I Act Crazy: Living With Borderline Personality Disorder” as Want to Read:
Sometimes I Act Crazy: Living With Borderline Personality Disorder

Sometimes I Act Crazy: Living With Borderline Personality Disorder

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  512 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Written by Dr. Jerold Kreisman, a top expert on Borderline Personality Disorder, this important, incisive book delivers the latest information on the disorder, which typically manifests itself through anger, abuse, addictions, and reckless impulsivity-behaviors that can have a devastating impact on family and friends.
Published February 25th 2004 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about Sometimes I Act Crazy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sometimes I Act Crazy

Shannon Bradley
I wish someone would write one of these books FOR the person with BPD and not the psychologists and doctors. All of the technical and medical stuff goes right over my head. Write a book for us please.
Jane
I wouldn't recommend this book to people with Borderline PDO or families/friends of.

It's a pretty decent overview of the disorder for mental health professionals, but I think a little bit too detailed for the lay public. He talks some abou theorists (seriously, do you the average person wants to hear about Kernberg and Erikson) and touches on medication management - not enough to be detailed, but enough to be dangerous (a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...)

Not clear if it is for the patie
Dani
Ok, this book may just edge out the other contender for "best title" award (Not Everyone Gets a Trophy)! Just after borrowing this from a co-worker, I went around the office holding it up to make a public service announcement: Guess what, everyone... in case you haven't noticed... just thought you should know... Sometimes, I Act Crazy.

More reviewishness to come.

OK.
I wanted to like this book, buuut....
- the authors can't seem to decide whether this book is written for the person suffering from BP
Martha
I chose "read" only because "kind of skimmed through" was not an option.
My review is lengthy, but if you read it, you can save your time and skip the book, because it is full similar (but in my opinion less realistic) case studies, and there is a lot of uncertainty in causes of borderline and prognosis of individuals.
This book by the same authors of I Hate You Don't Leave Me gives updates on the causes of borderline and the prognosis for a borderline patient. There are a couple significant frust
Sandy
Jan 31, 2010 Sandy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: --anybody interested in various aspects of the "human condition".
Recommended to Sandy by: --just plucked it from the recent book shelf.
--really interesting of course, & alarming to think of people trying to live w/this disorder--or kids living w/parents who have it, or parents living w/kids who have it or whatever.

The Sociopath Next Door is probably more "entertaining", not to mention even scarier in some ways, & less wearing too, 'cause we don't need to feel sorry for the sociopaths, we feel sorry for their victims.

People w/BPD are victims themselves, as are their friends & loved ones frequently, & it's expensi
Tara
The patient's stories are helpful to understand certain facets of the disorder. I liked how each of the important BPD characteristics are described in each chapter. I would recommend this for borderlines, their familes/friends or anyone wishing to gain an understanding of the disorder.
Anna
Amazing! Rather than focusing on the problems with living with BPD like I Hate You-Don't Leave Me, it shows you how to live with BPD and centers around the solutions.
Devon
For the purpose of learning basic information on BPD - its symptoms and treatment - this book served pretty well. It was very much an overview, never going into too much detail on any one facet. It was fairly easy to read, and instructive, but it wasn't what I was hoping for.

The book didn't feel consistent in what audience it was addressing. As I began, I felt that it was definitely addressed to the loved ones/family of individuals with BPD. This didn't bother me, until the address changed to i
Liz
This book is by the same writing team as "I Hate You, Don't Leave Me," which I also read about 10-11 years ago. This book covers a lot of the same topics, just with new information on the illness as well as more in-depth case-studies (which I love).

People with borderline personality disorder tend to be (which the book highlights on in the beginning and expands on in individual chapters) people who engage in impulsivity, substance abuse or cutting or suicidal behaviors, tend to have severe parano
Lauren
Although typically helpful in providing insight/understanding of the subject at hand, the anecdotal testimonies in this book actually served to enervate the reader, rendering her lazy about getting through the parts that expound upon understanding this very frustrating disorder. The "personal stories" are long and there is an almost palpable shift from the purposeful conveyance of events to just plain bad, daytime television-esque writing (wait, isn't that phrase in itself redundant)?

It seems Dr
Stephanie
It was hard to rate this book as I felt that it rates differently depending on the audience. As someone who supports individuals in the mental health field, I found it informative. However, the book is actually not primarily intended for me, but rather for individuals struggling with BPD themelves. In this regard I thought the book missed its goal on several fronts. Despite its disclaimer around simplifying language without the intention of labeling, I found terms such as "the borderline" or "th ...more
Tara Calaby
This one is pretty dated, in that it has way too great a focus on child abuse leading to BPD and there's a bit too much optimism re: medication. That said, it's not too bad. The writing style is accessible and, while the case studies that start each chapter are a little melodramatic and wordy, they're still entertaining. Best still, it doesn't operate at all under the assumption that partners and family members of people with BPD should just leave them. I found the chapter on identity particular ...more
Meghan
I wish there were more books for the borderline people. I guess now I can see it through other peoples eyes but the examples are never like me. I haven't found a borderline story I can really relate to. Sometimes after explaining symptoms especially towards the end I got really bored. The author uses medical terms and it is harder to understand. I made it to the end so that is a good thing. This is the sequel to I hate you Don't Leave me.
Jess
I'm trying to figure out how best to deal with a possible BPD sufferer with a minimum of grief for everyone. I have high hopes for this one since it's by the authors of what everyone hails as the BPD Bible (I Hate You, Don't Leave Me), which oddly enough, someone took out from my local library and never returned, along with several other BPD books. Color me shocked. ;)

Update:

Not as helpful as I'd hoped but somewhat insightful.
Livie
This booked claimed to be about how to live with BPD, but it was just like their other book (but this did have updated info and new treatments and studies, etc.). It talked not to the borderline, but about them. This always makes me feel uncomfortable, like I'm some difficult 'other', not a real human being. I know it wasn't intentional, but c'mon, they should know how to speak to borderlines, their experts in the field.
Staci Andrews
Amazing read for those suffering from, living with someone who has or interested in BPD. A much more supported book than "I Hate You, Don't Leave Me" (the author's previous book of the same subject). I actually have BPD and it was very helpful for me but I've given it to several people who are in my life and do not have it. A well researched and optimistic piece.
Angela Wade
Just didn't work for me as someone looking to understand BPD behavior better. Felt like there were a lot of excuses and messages for significant others to "stick it out", but not enough talk about BPDs taking personal responsibility.

It doesn't talk much about the BPD as a parent, either, which is what I was hoping for.

Prefer Surviving the Borderline Parent.
Tracy Morton
There were parts of this book that I found interesting but I think maybe it is more interesting to a doctor. The example stories about people suffering with BPD were uninteresting and seemed false. They seemed to be something written to give an example. The book covers a lot of info but i didn't find that it was presented in an interesting way.
Kiki
"A source of hope, expert advice, and guidance for people with borderline personality disorder and those who love them."

I feel like the book failed to live up to this description. It was more a book of anecdotes about some people with bpd. Not remotely helpful or illuminating.
Andrew
I don't think the authors had any plan of who this book was written for: borderlines? families/spouses? psychiatrists? The whole book just kind of jumps perspective. Also, the example stories are pretty chintsy at times.
Logan
Good book for the layperson. Helpful for friends and family w/o a mental health background. Not as helpful for clinicians. Additionally I was disappointed by the credence given to DID and how DID can impact BPD.
Fata Morgana
كتاب جميل عما يسمى "الشخصية الحدية " لولا أنه مدجج بالقصص
ويوجد معلومات عنها في الانترنت بالعربية لمن أراد
وفكرت في أشخاص أعرفهم وكنت أصفهم بأشياء أخرى
أيضاً ومن المحتمل أن يكون المرحوم عبدالرحمن بدوي أحدهم
Emily
It was pretty outdated and gave a pretty bad prognosis to those with BPD. The scenarios were helpful in understanding point of view, but the rest was quite depressing and a bit misleading.
This is one of those rare books that is useful for both clinicians and people suffering from the disorder. I think this book is especially useful for helping family members understand BPD.
Jillian
This book is excellent for anyone with BPD, or who knows someone diagnosed with BPD. I preferred this to I Hate you, Don't Leave Me. This felt less clinical and depressing.
Joy
Useful information for recognizing Borderline Personality Disorder and Action Steps for those who've been diagnosed as well as those who know and interact with them.
Curtis
It took a whole book to define Borderline Personality to me. I do not think that I will ever understand it so Linda doesn't talk about either.
Warwriter
Has a lot of good things, and explains in detail how a borderline is. Also gives some treatement options at the end of chapters.
Cindy
this book helped me understand myself so much better. I recommend it to anyone suffering, even if it's not from being borderline.
Mia
must read for anyone dealing with borderline personality disorder, themselves or with someone in their life
  • Lost in the Mirror: An Inside Look at Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Borderline Personality Disorder Demystified: An Essential Guide for Understanding and Living with BPD
  • The Borderline Personality Disorder Survival Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Living with BPD
  • The Buddha and the Borderline: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder through Dialectical Behavior Therapy, Buddhism, and Online Dating
  • Girl in Need of a Tourniquet: Memoir of a Borderline Personality
  • How I Stayed Alive When My Brain Was Trying to Kill Me: One Person's Guide to Suicide Prevention
  • Borderline Personality Disorder for Dummies
  • The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation, And Distress Tolerance
  • Stop walking on eggshells : coping when someone you care about has borderline personality disorder
  • Get Me Out of Here: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder
  • The Angry Heart: Overcoming Borderline and Addictive Disorders : An Interactive Self-Help Guide
  • Skills Training Manual for Treating Borderline Personality Disorder, First Ed
  • Mindfulness for Borderline Personality Disorder: Relieve Your Suffering Using the Core Skill of Dialectical Behavior Therapy
  • Understanding the Borderline Mother: Helping Her Children Transcend the Intense, Unpredictable, and Volatile Relationship
  • Bodily Harm: The Breakthrough Healing Program for Self-Injurers
  • The Bipolar Child: The Definitive and Reassuring Guide to Childhood's Most Misunderstood Disorder
  • Bloodletting: A Memoir of Secrets, Self-Harm, and Survival
  • Life Inside: A Memoir
Jerold Kreisman, M.D., is a psychiatrist and best-selling author. His books, I Hate You, Don't Leave Me, and Sometimes I Act Crazy. have been translated into several languages around the world. He is an Associate Clinical Professor at St. Louis University and has been designated a Distinguished Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association. He has lectured widely in both this country and abr ...more
More about Jerold J. Kreisman...
I Hate You, Don't Leave Me: Understanding the Borderline Personality

“When the borderline is alone, continuity and connectedness cease. Like sand falling through her fingers, her confidence - even her sense of reality - slip away.” 16 likes