Start by marking “Speedloader” as Want to Read:
Speedloader

Speedloader

Published (first published June 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Speedloader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speedloader

Nigel Bird
Jun 23, 2011 Nigel Bird rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
The first thing I need to do here is declare some self-interest. I’ve written one of the stories in this book; I have a huge respect for the publishers at Snubnose Press; I love good short stories; I want Speedloader to sell in huge numbers.

With that out of the way, I’d like to offer my opinion of the collection.

The opening story is my own. It’s a tale set in World War 1 and the years of its aftermath. The intention of the story was to look at the large scale crimes and the individual stories o
Elizabeth A.
Snubnose Press is the new e-publishing arm of Spinetingler Magazine, and they’ve come roaring out the gate with their first offering, Speedloader. Edited by Sandra Ruttan and Brian Lindenmuth, Speedloader is a collection of six hard hitting crime fiction stories from an impressive group of authors.

In "You Dirty Rat" by Nigel Bird a powerful combination of festering guilt and a quest for justice drives a soldier to take action years after a series of tragic events occurred on the battlefield.

"Mor
Edward
Dec 16, 2011 Edward rated it really liked it
Shelves: noir
Speedloader is a terrific neo-noir anthology featuring some of the best the genre has to offer. This was my first taste of Nigel bird and I was very impressed. Enough to download his book Beat On The Brat. This past year I've been following Nik Korpon and Matthew Funk and the two stories represented here some of their best. Richard Thomas' eloquent prose is a highlight of the stories I've read from him. W.D.County, one of the two names I had never heard of prior, was the best story in the collec ...more
Josh
Jul 19, 2011 Josh rated it really liked it
Speedloader showcases the latest neo-noir talent to emerge in recent times. Comprising of six short stories touching on topics from war memorials, deranged police officers, alcoholic obsessive delinquents, sex trafficking, drug addled journalism, and anti drug task forces this anthology is loaded with enough speed to keep you awake for days. Nigel Birds 'You Dirty Rat' is a nostalgic piece retelling the horrific journey of a soldier and his fallen comrade. 'Plastic Soldiers' by W.D. Country is n ...more
Heath Lowrance
Jun 11, 2012 Heath Lowrance rated it really liked it
If their first outing, Speedloader, is any indication, you'd be wise to keep your eye on Snubnose. This is six stories right out of Hell, featuring writers who know their business and don't pull their punches. It's very hard to disturb me as a reader, but a couple of the selections here had me squirming uncomfortably. So, you know... well-done, mates.
The incomparable Nigel Bird opens the collection with the gripping "You Dirty Rat", a WWI-era tale of revenge that manages to be beautifully layere
Gareth Price
Jul 02, 2011 Gareth Price rated it really liked it
This first outing for new epublisher Snubnose (from the people behind Spinetingler) is a good, solid selection. Ranging from WW1 to the Texas/Mexico border, & all sorts of madness inbetween, each one is just perfect. Highly enjoyable as a taster for some of the newer names out there as well. I had already read Nigel Bird (Dirty Old Town) & Nik Korpon (Old Ghosts) before & both their stories here were excellent. Richard Thomas' Transubstantiate (currently on promo at 71p as is Nik Kor ...more
Boden Steiner
Jun 25, 2011 Boden Steiner rated it it was amazing
This publication of SPEEDLOADER marks the beginning of what should be a very cool arena for writers to play at the top of their game. Six great stories from some of the best new faces in crime edged fiction.

I'm fairly biased, having done the art for this collection, but truly inspiring stuff from these authors. Characters drawing there own lines, sometimes criminal, sometimes emotionally horrific, bullets and some cinematic fiction.

Snubnose Press, the new press from the creators of Spinetingler
Dave
Jun 09, 2017 Dave rated it it was amazing
Speedloader is one of the darkest, grittiest collections of stories ever penned. From battlefields to tenements to soap operas in the Mexican desert, the authors of the stories here take the readers on a remarkable journey. Each story in this collection is quality crime fiction. There are no clunkers in this bunch.
David
Jul 21, 2011 David rated it really liked it
For anyone who knows me, Speedloader is an odd selection for me, as its not my normal fare. But it was an impulse purchase on the kindle and im very glad I did, as I very much enjoyed the stories.

Starting off brilliantly with "You Dirty Rat" by Nigel Bird, a story of revenge in the trenches of WW1 (of which I particularly loved the device of how the story was told), and following is a haunting and disturbing look at children at the mercy of evil men in "Plastic Soldiers" by W.D County.

For me,
Jack Getze
Jul 16, 2011 Jack Getze rated it it was amazing
I only read one of these six stories before publication. PLASTIC SOLDIERS by W.D. County. After a few paragraphs, I realized I was twisting in my chair, on edge, completely uncomfortable. About halfway through, I started asking myself if I had the courage to read another paragraph. PLASTIC SOLDIERS is the most gripping, frightening, saddest, hopeful, and demanding short story I have ever read. W.D.County, whose short story MY NAME IS PRICILLA is available free at http://www.spinetinglermag.com i ...more
Robert Koldman
Robert Koldman rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2014
L.
L. rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2012
Mxyzptlk
Mxyzptlk rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2011
Ipsith
Ipsith rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2013
Nicky
Nicky rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2012
Tom
Tom rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2012
Jeff J.
Jeff J. rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2012
Patrick Fetterman
Patrick Fetterman rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2014
R. Thomas
R. Thomas rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2011
Devon Robbins
Devon Robbins rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2014
Aj
Aj rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2011
Adam
Adam rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2013
Patricia Van Deren
Patricia Van Deren rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2015
Sid Stiles
Sid Stiles rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Benjamin Sobieck
Benjamin Sobieck rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2012
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2012
Les Edgerton
Les Edgerton rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2011
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2017
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2012
Still
Still rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2013