Start by marking “Shadowboxer” as Want to Read:
Shadowboxer

Shadowboxer

Once a happy family man, Kealan now spends his days walking aimlessly and crashing in his friend's spare room. It never seems to matter how much he walks, because his shadow is always there. When he meets younger Valerie, an inquisitive and sensitive soul, a few rays of light begin to penetrate his dark curtains. But what about her jealous ex? How is it that some things in ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Shadowboxer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadowboxer

Martin Reaves
Aug 29, 2012 Martin Reaves rated it it was amazing
This one had me reeling against the ropes.

Shadowboxer is a black novella that will one-two punch you in the gut, roundhouse clobber you in the kidneys, and finish you off with a flurry of dark jabs and hooks that will leave you reaching for a bottle, or some Prozac, or that fuzzy VHS copy of Pollyanna. Anything to shake off the gloom.

Honestly, Trent Zelazny is starting to scare me a little. We talk about this writer's or that writer's latest offering, and how that writer is "working at the top o
Bryce Pearson
Mar 27, 2012 Bryce Pearson rated it it was amazing
This one is heavy. Emotionally brutal. Kealan Donovan is trying to recover from an accident that killed his wife and son, and which he may or may not be responsible for. He's become frightened of riding in cars, and so he spends his time walking around Santa Fe, beating himself up until he meets Valerie, a young girl at a coffee shop. Possible light at the end of the tunnel? I don't want to spoil anything, but Trent Zelazny never makes things easy for his characters. This one is a thinker and wo ...more
Jennifer Wilson
Mar 01, 2012 Jennifer Wilson rated it really liked it
This is another solidly written story by Trent Zelazny. I've now read 5 of his stories and look forward to reading more!

In this dark tale, we experience life after an unthinkable tragedy has occurred for the main character, Kealan. While this is a work of fiction, it definitely has a true to life portrayal of the darkness of life and the despair one would feel after having their whole life turned upside down.

I highly recommend this and all of Zelazny's works!

"The cat's got nothing to do with it,
Jesse
Jun 24, 2011 Jesse rated it it was amazing
I love the way Zelazny writes. Kealan Donovan has tragically lost everything. He spends his time living in a friend's spare room and walking around town, feeling sorry for himself. At a coffee shop he meets Valerie, who begins to pull him out of his slump. But Valerie's past catches up with her, and therefore catches up with Kealan. Philosophical musings and believable action. I really liked this one.
Steven
Apr 12, 2015 Steven rated it it was ok
Shelves: novella
This would have been a good (long) short story if it had been cut in half, but I just didn't think there was enough going on to justify a novella length treatment. Plenty of good writing here, and the overall arc was interesting, but less would have been more.
Paul
Mar 15, 2012 Paul rated it it was amazing
Excellent novella of a man and the shadows of his soul as he attempts to recover from a personal tragedy. Even though it deals with the main characters' descent into a dark point in his life, it never overwhelms the reader. Compelling and cathartic.
Anastasia
May 22, 2012 Anastasia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Introspective, well-written.. excellent character depth and involvement, and a good story to boot. Highly recommended, a great example of Zelazny's work.
Kat
Kat rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2012
Eleanor
Eleanor rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2011
Mark Lewis
Mark Lewis rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2013
Gregg
Gregg rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2013
Colin
Colin rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2011
Gabby
Gabby rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2011
Steve (Morris)
Steve (Morris) rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2012
Lee Howard
Lee Howard rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2012
Trent Zelazny
Jul 28, 2011 Trent Zelazny added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Steven Harbin
Steven Harbin marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2011
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2011
Grayson
Grayson marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2012
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2012
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2012
Finergrind
Finergrind marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2012
Tasha Turner
Tasha Turner marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2012
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2013
Lisa Gorden
Lisa Gorden marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
Maggie Carroll
Maggie Carroll marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2013
Brian Hobbs
Brian Hobbs marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2013
Duane
Duane marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Scott
Scott is currently reading it
Mar 19, 2015
Wordsl Dreamsl
Wordsl Dreamsl marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Bill Westwood
Bill Westwood marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Mar 02, 2016
Martina Nyklesova
Martina Nyklesova marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Trent Zelazny is the award-winning author of To Sleep Gently, Fractal Despondency, Butterfly Potion, Too Late To Call Texas, People Person, and Voiceless, as well as several other books and roughly 50 short stories. He is also an international playwright, and editor.

Son of late science fiction author Roger Zelazny, he was born in Santa Fe, New Mexico. He has lived in California, Oregon, and Florid
More about Trent Zelazny...

“We learn to walk when we’re babies and never forget unless we’re drunk.” 11 likes
“Extinction, that’s where it’s going, that’s where we’re headed. And we’re going that way because we’re all so fucking afraid of it. We’re so afraid of dying off that we’re setting ourselves up for exactly that. Keeping away from each other, rarely making eye contact with those we don’t already know. Not helping when folks need help. Avoiding confrontation and staying away when we see anything which might instill fear. Doing our best to stay out of trouble, while in effect creating more trouble.” 3 likes