Start by marking “Writ in Stone: A Burren Medieval Mystery 4” as Want to Read:
Writ in Stone: A Burren Medieval Mystery 4

Writ in Stone: A Burren Medieval Mystery 4 (Burren Mysteries #4)

A Mystery of Medieval Ireland - Christmas, 1509. Mara, the investigating judge of the Burren, has accepted the offer of marriage made by King Turlough. But on the eve of the marriage festivities, a man kneeling in prayer in the abbey church is violently murdered. Who could have planned to kill the king? Cut off from the outside world by heavy snow, Mara must act quickly to ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Severn House Digital (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Writ in Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writ in Stone

LJ
First Sentence: The Burren, on the west coast of Ireland, is a land of white stone and dark gree-blue sea, encircled by swirling terraced mountains of gleaming limestone, soft fertile grass and hard rock; tiny jewel-bright flowers and wind-torn asymmetrical trees; great pagan stone monuments and small ruined Christian churches and abbeys.

Mara, responsible for justice in Burren, Ireland, is set to marry King Turlock, ruler of three kingdoms in Northwest Ireland. He announced he would hold a solit
Ellen
Dec 30, 2012 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brehon law ran Ireland for centuries, and, even in the early 16th century, sometimes the judge could be a woman. That's the case with this series, of which this book (yes, I'm reading them out of order) is number four. Mara is the brehon for the Burren, which, then, as now, is a beautiful part of Ireland. After studying law for years, she serves as a judge herself and garners the respect her position requires.

Mara also is meant to marry Turlough, her King, at Christmas ; however, those celebrat
Cris
I would highly reccomend reading A Secret and Unlawful Killing before reading Writ in Stone because events and characters from A Secret and Unlawful Killing strongly influence Writ in stone.

There's also more Irish/English and Irish/Rome politics present this time around.

Each book in this series adds layers to the characters and the setting. Previously I didn't really feel that Mara really *liked* her betrothed, much loved the man. And I'm wondering if I wasn't the only one who wondered, because
Raven
Mar 31, 2015 Raven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid entry in the "Mara, Brehon of the Burren" series. I'm reading them out of order, so for me this was a fantastic way to get more knowledge about the backstory of characters that I already like. With the whole being snowed into an abbey conceit, it's essentially a locked room mystery set in Gaelic Ireland. I appreciate the way the tensions between the different legal systems of the era are woven into the plot, and if there's a bit too much "maybe it's you! OR YOU!" in Mara's articula ...more
Helen
Dec 02, 2012 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I'm really enjoying the Burren Mystery series by Cora Harrison. It's set in early 16th century Ireland, when that country was still governed by its own legal system, called "Brehon Law," that had been in place for centuries. The main character is a female judge, something that was even more rare in that time and place, than it is in modern-day America, although apparently not unheard of. I like how the stories weave in the legal and cultural history of western Ireland along with good mysteries.
Kb
Mar 12, 2015 Kb rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ugh, unreviewed, dnf
The premise of this series sounded interesting. I wanted to give it a try, but life is too short to labour through such poor writing. An example in three condensed paragraphs:

"My Lord," she said calmly. "They are crying your death."
"Come here," he said softly...
"Stay there," she said warningly...

I am telling you warningly, stay away from this book.
Madeleine
Haha, I'm hooked. These are just really sweet stories. Mara the Brehon is a totally cool strong believable historical female heroine, her law students are cute and hilarious, her love interest (the King!) is great, the mysteries themselves are interesting without being creepy, and there is lots of food! Addicted.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, burren
Historical fiction set in Ireland in the early days of Henry VIII's reign, this is the story of Mara, the "attorney general" of a section of Ireland. If you are a fan of this time period and enjoy a good Irish tale, give this series a chance.
Cheryl
May 20, 2013 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-edition
What's great about these is the tidbits of Brehon law at the beginning of each chapter - an additional boon for mystery buffs.
Shelley
Erin72
Apr 20, 2012 Erin72 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Harrison always keeps me guessing until the end, I should know to expect a twist!
Jeffrey
Jan 29, 2014 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable book. Brehon Mara once again untangles a knotty problem, this time in snowed-in quarters. An excellent story with many twists and turns.
Tessa
Feb 12, 2015 Tessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I find the series gets better and better as you get to know the characters that reappear in each book. I can't get enough of them.
Jill
Jun 05, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Burren mystery! Looking forward to reading the next in the series!
Mary
I was really enjoying this book until the solution to the mystery was revealed.
Judy
Jan 25, 2013 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent tale of mistaken murder prior to the wedding of our Lady Judge and the King. Irish history is excellent, characters realistic, keeps you guessing until the end.
Cathy
Nov 25, 2011 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good
Leslie
Oct 15, 2010 Leslie added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical mystery fans
Enjoyed this mystery; liked the change of setting and new characters added to the regulars. Fast read!
Patricia
Aug 20, 2010 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful as usual.
Susan Gaska
Susan Gaska rated it liked it
May 25, 2016
Diane Hamilton
Diane Hamilton rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2011
Dacia
Dacia rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2009
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2013
Karlee
Karlee rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2015
alix oconnell
alix oconnell rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2015
Joan
Joan rated it liked it
May 24, 2010
Christy Jordan
Christy Jordan rated it really liked it
May 06, 2015
Miste
Miste rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Irishcailin
Irishcailin rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2012
Peggy Schaeffer
Peggy Schaeffer rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Seventh Trumpet (Sister Fidelma, #23)
  • Face Down Before Rebel Hooves (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #6)
  • Death of a Robber Baron
  • Queen of Ambition (Ursula Blanchard, #5)
  • Fall of a Philanderer (Daisy Dalrymple, #14)
194929
Cora Harrison worked as a headteacher before she decided to write her first novel. She has since published twenty-six children's novels. My Lady Judge was her first book in a Celtic historical crime series for adults that introduces Mara, Brehon of the Burren. Cora lives on a farm near the Burren in the west of Ireland.

More about Cora Harrison...

Burren Mysteries (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • My Lady Judge (Burren Mysteries, #1)
  • A Secret and Unlawful Killing (Burren Mysteries, #2)
  • The Sting of Justice (Burren Mysteries, #3)
  • Eye of the Law (Burren Mysteries, #5)
  • Scales of Retribution (Burren Mysteries #6)
  • Deed of Murder (Burren Mysteries #7)
  • Laws in Conflict (Burren Mysteries #8)
  • Chain of Evidence (Burren Mysteries #9)
  • Cross of Vengeance (Burren Mysteries #10)
  • Verdict of the Court (Burren Mysteries #11)