Friend or Fiend? with the Pain & the Great One

Friend or Fiend? with the Pain & the Great One (The Pain and the Great One)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  186 ratings  ·  26 reviews
This dynamic bestselling author/illustrator duo captures the ups and downs of everyday life in this chapter book offering fun and perfectly narrated short stories--for kids who can already read, like the Great One, or for kids who are learning to read, like the Pain. "Friend or Fiend?" is the fourth book in a quartet of hilarious and warm-hearted stories that showcase the...more
Published October 12th 2010 by Turtleback Books (first published 2008)

Susie
This is a great "little brother/big sister" story. Jake,the Pain, and Abigail, the Great One share several fun adventures includng visiting their very strange relatives who live in New York and then celebrating their cat, Fluzzy's birthday. This book will keep you laughing and wanting to read more about the Pain and the Great One.
Katie
This was a great short book to listen to in the car with the kiddos. It was just over an hour and the reader was very good. Parents and kids both enjoyed it. I will have to read more of Judy Blume's younger novels to the kids.
Fadhilatul
Mar 23, 2013 Fadhilatul rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Children, Parents
Shelves: favorites
please visit: kilasbuku.blogspot.com

Ini adalah salah satu buku dari serial The Pain and the Great One. Siapa mereka? Tenang saja, di setiap buku serialnya akan selalu ada pengenalan mengenai yang mana yang disebut the Pain dan yang mana yang disebut the Great One. Jadi, jika kalian baru pertama kali membaca buku ini di pertengahan seri, tidak ada yang akan jadi masalah.

Jake, anak laki-laki kelas 1 SD, biasa dipanggil the Pain (Yang Menyedihkan) oleh kakak perempuannya yang 2 tahun lebih tua dari...more
Dolly
Jul 30, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is a funny and sweet story (actually, it's a collection of short stories) about sibling relationships at the ages of 6 and 8. That's perfect for our girls, and although the dynamic is different in our house (with two girls instead of a girl and a boy), the love, the fights, the protectiveness, the encouragements and the competitiveness are still very much the same in many respects.

We enjoyed reading this book together and we really liked the whole series. I loved reading Judy Blume's stori...more
Liz
Another collection of stories of the Pain and the Great One, thus time with a focus on friendships versus fiend-ships. Fluzzy's story at the end made me go "awwww!"
Aleah dvorak
This book is about "the pain" (jake) and "the great one" (abigail). In the book it goes back and forth between abigail and jake telling different chapters of the story. Every chapter is about something new and exciting! Jake has his mistakes and only eats white food which annoys abigail and abigail on the other hand is a drama queen! They fight a lot and according to abigail jake always gets his way and she feels that her parents love him more. I enjoyed this book because it held my interest and...more
Cathy
The Pain and the Great One (aka little brother, Jake, and big sister, Abigail) are at it again - fighting and uniting.

I know everyone loves Judy Blume, but there are times in her books that I want to slam it shut so I don't have to listen to the whiny, pestering, annoying voice of either child as they argue with each other - just a little too realistic. It is like listening to my children and frankly, I am through with that!!! So definitely not my favorite book.
Julie
Some friends are having a "Judy Blume" book read thing on their blog, so I went tot he library to get some since I have never read Judy Blume books.
There were three books in our library and they were all in the childrens section so I basically read it in an hour!
It was alright. I am not a convert to Judy Blume just from this one book, but I think I would have enjoyed it as a kid.
Emily Shuler
This is the second book of a series of short stories about Jacob the pain and Abigail the great one. The siblings tell stories of embarrassment in front of the class, friends they can no longer trust, and their cat’s first birthday. In the class: This book could be used as a model of short stories, and then students could write their own short stories.
Jessica McIntyre
This is the second book of a series of short stories about Jacob the pain and Abigail the great one. The siblings tell stories of embarrassment in front of the class, friends they can no longer trust, and their cat’s first birthday. This book could be used as a model of short stories, and then students
could write their own short stories.
Liza
This collection of short stories about two siblings and the meaning of "friends" had potential for great lessons for kids. Unfortunately, annoying characters got in the way. I'm sure other books have better lessons about friendship without actually having bratty kids doing and saying things that I really hope my kids will not copy.
AnnaMay
These are my favorite books. It's about a girl named Abigail and a boy named Jacob. They're fun to read about because they're always arguing about funny things. I also like it because at the end of some of the stories, she'll have one of them doing something that they would never do before.
Melinda
An easy story to listen to, especially appropriate for siblings who tend to fight, tease and pester one another. Though this book is packed with all three, there are moments of conflict resolution, sibling appreciation and positive family togetherness.
Brenna
This book featured "The Pain" and "The Great One," a brother and sister who sometimes do not get along. The Pain's name is Jake and the Great One's name is Abigail. My mom liked to read books by Judy Blume when she was growing up.
Caren
I just love these books. I hope she keeps writing more for this growing series. If you don't know, the Pain is the little brother and the Great One is the older sister. Very fun.
Posy Mendoza
As ususal, Blume's voice is pretty true. Unfortunately the bickering kids got on my nerves. But that's what kids do, don't they. Would be a useful discussion book for a classroom.
Samantha Hastings
Check out my review on www.kissthebook.blogspot.com

2 stars because I thought the kids were bratty.
Shellee
These are fast reads. Not as good as the fudge books but deal with sibling rivalry.
Kelly Smith
Henry really liked this one. I liked the last chapter best.
Karis (YA Litwit) Jacobstein
Cute, but not nearly as good as July Blume's older stuff.
Sharon Kalman
Perfect book for either gender. 2nd-4th grade
Nowheregirl
These two kids are just too much :D. loved it :)
William
I'm learning I'm not a big fan of Judy Bloom.
Chris Hays
Not as good as Blume's other works.
Michele
Who doesn't love Judy Blume?
Olivia Malik
Olivia Malik marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Judy Blume spent her childhood in Elizabeth, New Jersey, making up stories inside her head. She has spent her adult years in many places doing the same thing, only now she writes her stories down on paper. Adults as well as children will recognize such Blume titles as: Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret; Blubber; Just as Long as We're Together; and the five book series about the irrepressible Fu...more
More about Judy Blume...
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (Fudge, #1) Summer Sisters Superfudge (Fudge, #3) Forever