Start by marking “Code Word: Geronimo” as Want to Read:
Code Word: Geronimo

Code Word: Geronimo

3.02 of 5 stars 3.02  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The leader of SEAL Team 6 uttered, "Geronimo," and the world let out a sigh of relief. The symbol of ultimate evil was no more. Code Word: Geronimo is the amazing, moment-by-moment story of the clandestine raid on Osama bin Laden's compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan. Told by military insider and Hollywood consultant, Captain Dale Dye (USMC, Ret.), with Dr. Julia Dye, Ph.D., ...more
Published September 6th 2011 by IDW Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Code Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Code Word

Richard Guion
Enjoyed reading Dale Dye's account of the Seal Team operation that nailed Osama Bin Laden. Perhaps because I haven't seen or read any other material on this subject, the details were fascinating. The most interesting thing I learned was about the dog that was on the team. The dog is wearing goggles on the mission. I did a search and discovered these are called "doggles". Supplementary materials in the back explain that "Geronimo" was used to acknowledge that the mission was completed successfull ...more
Andy Shuping
ARC provided by netGalley

I had a lot of trouble writing this review because I came in with negative connotation's about the book. For starters I couldn’t see how this story could do justice to the people involved in this event since it was rushed to publication so quickly. Secondly, so many of the details are still left unknown, mostly in order to protect the SEAL team sent in. And from everything I’ve read about SEAL’s that’s the way they’d prefer to be known. And while my opinion was clouded a
pandamans
A rapid read with great illustrations that takes you into the action of the night raid in Abottabad. The dialogue is interspersed with military jargon explained with asterisks and footnotes within the frame in a style that is reminiscent of the GI Joe comic book series. A bit thinner than I had imagined, but then again, the mission lasted around 40 minutes.
Wendy
it was ok up until pg. 74, the second panel. I honestly said out loud, 'Really?'

Maybe, somewhere someone really thought Finally, this is Over! .... but I have never felt such a feeling of relief.

more later..
Charles
This is a graphic novel telling of the assault by Seal Team 6 on Osama Bin Laden. I thought it was very fine. Great art and a solid approach to telling the story. I recommend it.
Yousef
Typical hollywood movie in comic book format. mentioned "true story" on the cover which is why i bought it. It hd some interesting details about the mission, definitly easier to get yourself to read than the wikipedia page. Has an interesting text addendum about the naative american indian Geronimo, Osama Bin Ladin, and the SEALs' training program. Filled with self righteous moral lecturing and heroic chest thumping throught the whole thing, but at least it clearly states in the begining that th ...more
Dan
Aug 11, 2015 Dan added it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I expected propaganda and I got propaganda. A self-fulfilling prophecy I guess.
Mathew Carruthers
Great story, one we know from headlines and evening news, presented in a graphic novel format. Pace is spot on, like a military operation, and art is well executed. Nothing too flashy or overly distinctive, but it does the job - like military gear. May not be for everyone, but it is the story of real heroes putting life on the line to take down the number one terrorist on the planet. For that alone it's worthy of attention.
Bruce Nordstrom
Good book. Sure quick to read. More pictures than words, which did not satisfy my desire to know more about this incident, or answer some of the questions I've developed since this operation.
P.M. Bradshaw
I've read many a bad review for this book, many simply because it's a comic book. I'm not certain why there is such a strong resentment against a format that includes illustrations.

I thought it was great. For an operation that only took something like 40 minutes, this book provided a lot of details and a lot of excitement. Like a single-operation of one of Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp book's, this kept me on the edge of my seat, even though I knew the outcome.

while the graphic novel portion is basi
MMS Readers
I think this was an OK book because it wasn't very long but it was to short. It connects to me because my grandfather was a marine and he was a veteran of the Korean war.
Mark Luongo
Bought it on a whim, more graphic novel than anything else. Always liked Dale Dye's movie work and military career. I'll look forward to a more extensive narrative of the op to kill Bin Laden in the future.
Tony
Tony added it
May 15, 2015
Leanna
Leanna marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Doreen Petersen
Doreen Petersen marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Michael Blackmer
Michael Blackmer marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Dale Adam Dye is an American author, actor, and businessman. He served for many years in the U.S. Marine Corps, rising in rank from Private to Captain during the course of his career, which included service as a Marine Combat Correspondent during the war in Viet Nam. He retired from the USMC in 1984, and has since worked primarily in film and television in addition to writing several books.
More about Dale A. Dye...
Platoon Laos File (The Shake Davis Series) Run Between the Raindrops: Author's Preferred Edition Run Between the Raindrops Peleliu File