Start by marking “Deed of Murder (Burren Mysteries #7)” as Want to Read:
Deed of Murder (Burren Mysteries #7)

Deed of Murder (Burren Mysteries #7)

The enthralling new Burren mystery . . . April 1511, Ireland. Mara, Brehon of the Burren, is celebrating the christening of her son when she notices that three of her law students have disappeared from the party. The next morning, one of them is found dead on a lone mountain pass with suspicious wounds. He was carrying an important legal document that has now disappeared ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Severn House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Deed of Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deed of Murder

Mar 28, 2015 Spuddie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good entry in the series set in Ireland in the 1500's, and featuring a female brehon (lawyer) although this one is set several hundred years after Peter Tremayne's Sister Fidelma series. I think this author handles the language differences much better than Tremayne does--he tends to explain every word during the story, which seems to pull you out of it. Harrison does some explaining but writes such the context is all the explanation that's needed.

I have to say that I figured this one out
Oct 20, 2015 Violet rated it did not like it
Shelves: mysteries
I don't know how to rate this book. I'm sure those who know Irish history (16th century) would probably like it but I just could not get into it; I honestly tried. I think it was probably the fact that it IS set in a period so different than what I am used to, with odd names and locations, etc. I read purely for entertainment and this was just too much work for me to sort it all out.
Jul 26, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it
Another great entry in the series! It was a bit of a leap that she solved everything so completely just in the nick of time, but I still really liked it! Working mom problems in 1500s Ireland!
Kathy Moberg
Apr 09, 2013 Kathy Moberg rated it really liked it
I love this series. It's very well-written and the characterizations are excellent, as are the puzzles. I enjoy watching the children grow up and seeing Mara's life unfold. I appreciate the opportunity to learn about 16th century Irish culture and law (especially as contrasted with that of England),and the chance to see their education system up close. It is fascinating to be in Ireland, looking out at the threat of Henry VIII's England for a change! That threat is becoming especially apparent i ...more
Feb 14, 2016 Susie rated it really liked it
Another glimpse into the life of Mara, Brehon of the Burren. A satisfying read.
Mar 05, 2015 Tessa rated it really liked it
Another very enjoyable read and again I did not guess the outcome which was a very exciting naval battle.
Apr 18, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries, ireland
I enjoy this series mostly because it takes place in The Burren, which is one of my favorite places in Ireland. The mystery was not all that difficult this time, but things seem to be heating up with England and I know the history of the times isn't good following this. There were a few places that could have used a little editing to prevent some needless repetition. Still, I can close my eyes and see everything there, and that helps get past a few glitches!
Jun 05, 2012 Denise rated it liked it
This series of historical murder mysteries is intriguing because of the interesting role of the protagonist. She is a lawyer in Ireland a long time ago, married to a king (which now we would probably think of as a chieftain, I guess). She is the highest judge in the land. The other really interesting thing in these books is that each chapter starts with a little tidbit of the laws of the time, and they are fascinating.
Dec 25, 2012 Patricia rated it it was amazing
I am having trouble being objective about rating this book because I had thought when I read the last book in this series that it was the LAST in the series so to find there was another book made me so happy! I enjoyed this one. Now my family will have to go back to tolerating me listening to Irish music for a while. :0)
Tara Russell
Dec 31, 2011 Tara Russell rated it liked it
Enjoyable, but some very poor editing in the hardback I read. Several passages repeated verbatim and quite a bit of cliched writing. I do like the setting and the plot was involving; not much character development in the book though.
Jan 16, 2012 Joan rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I really enjoy this look at Irish law and history. In this one, the English are getting ever closer; the first real signs of thier eventual takeover and the end of Mara's role as Brehon of the Burren make their appearance.
Feb 06, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was ok
I picked this up at the library, not realizing it was part of a series. I found it somewhat boring; not sure if I was missing the back story on some characters or events that may have made it more interesting?
Dec 01, 2011 Anne rated it really liked it
Another good historical mystery from Cora Harrison set in Ireland 1511 featuring Mara, Brehon of the Burren.
Dec 16, 2011 Kathleen rated it it was ok
Better than the last in this series, but no where near the promise of the first few.
Mar 13, 2013 Judy rated it really liked it
Another Judge Mara who solves a murder of one of her students.
Oooooooooooooooo the English are baaaaaad in this one.
Feb 18, 2015 Cathy rated it it was amazing
I always like her books.
Sybil Jack
Sybil Jack rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2016
Meagan marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Sally Spurrell
Sally Spurrell is currently reading it
Oct 02, 2016
Dominik marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Lynette marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Allison Sanders
Allison Sanders marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Linda rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Sandy marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Rosie Casey
Rosie Casey marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
glen puxley
glen puxley rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Chalice of Blood (Sister Fidelma, #21)
  • Face Down Before Rebel Hooves (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #6)
  • A Perilous Alliance (Ursula Blanchard, #13)
  • The Devil's Apprentice
  • Death in St James's Park (Thomas Chaloner, #8)
  • A Surfeit of Guns (Sir Robert Carey, #3)
  • Follow Your Passion, Find Your Power: Everything You Need to Know about the Law of Attraction
  • The Broken Token
  • The Song of the Nightingale (Hawkenlye Mysteries #14)
Cora Harrison worked as a headteacher before she decided to write her first novel. She has since published twenty-six children's novels. My Lady Judge was her first book in a Celtic historical crime series for adults that introduces Mara, Brehon of the Burren. Cora lives on a farm near the Burren in the west of Ireland.

More about Cora Harrison...

Burren Mysteries (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • My Lady Judge (Burren Mysteries, #1)
  • A Secret and Unlawful Killing (Burren Mysteries, #2)
  • The Sting of Justice (Burren Mysteries, #3)
  • Writ in Stone (Burren Mysteries, #4)
  • Eye of the Law (Burren Mysteries, #5)
  • Scales of Retribution (Burren Mysteries #6)
  • Laws in Conflict (Burren Mysteries #8)
  • Chain of Evidence (Burren Mysteries #9)
  • Cross of Vengeance (Burren Mysteries #10)
  • Verdict of the Court (Burren Mysteries #11)