Start by marking “Deed of Murder (Burren Mysteries #7)” as Want to Read:
Deed of Murder (Burren Mysteries #7)

Deed of Murder (Burren Mysteries #7)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The enthralling new Burren mystery . . . April 1511, Ireland. Mara, Brehon of the Burren, is celebrating the christening of her son when she notices that three of her law students have disappeared from the party. The next morning, one of them is found dead on a lone mountain pass with suspicious wounds. He was carrying an important legal document that has now disappeared ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Severn House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Deed of Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deed of Murder

Spuddie
Another good entry in the series set in Ireland in the 1500's, and featuring a female brehon (lawyer) although this one is set several hundred years after Peter Tremayne's Sister Fidelma series. I think this author handles the language differences much better than Tremayne does--he tends to explain every word during the story, which seems to pull you out of it. Harrison does some explaining but writes such the context is all the explanation that's needed.

I have to say that I figured this one out
Kathy Moberg
I love this series. It's very well-written and the characterizations are excellent, as are the puzzles. I enjoy watching the children grow up and seeing Mara's life unfold. I appreciate the opportunity to learn about 16th century Irish culture and law (especially as contrasted with that of England),and the chance to see their education system up close. It is fascinating to be in Ireland, looking out at the threat of Henry VIII's England for a change! That threat is becoming especially apparent i ...more
Tessa
Another very enjoyable read and again I did not guess the outcome which was a very exciting naval battle.
Karen
I enjoy this series mostly because it takes place in The Burren, which is one of my favorite places in Ireland. The mystery was not all that difficult this time, but things seem to be heating up with England and I know the history of the times isn't good following this. There were a few places that could have used a little editing to prevent some needless repetition. Still, I can close my eyes and see everything there, and that helps get past a few glitches!
Denise
This series of historical murder mysteries is intriguing because of the interesting role of the protagonist. She is a lawyer in Ireland a long time ago, married to a king (which now we would probably think of as a chieftain, I guess). She is the highest judge in the land. The other really interesting thing in these books is that each chapter starts with a little tidbit of the laws of the time, and they are fascinating.
Patricia
I am having trouble being objective about rating this book because I had thought when I read the last book in this series that it was the LAST in the series so to find there was another book made me so happy! I enjoyed this one. Now my family will have to go back to tolerating me listening to Irish music for a while. :0)
Tara Russell
Enjoyable, but some very poor editing in the hardback I read. Several passages repeated verbatim and quite a bit of cliched writing. I do like the setting and the plot was involving; not much character development in the book though.
Joan
3.5 stars. I really enjoy this look at Irish law and history. In this one, the English are getting ever closer; the first real signs of thier eventual takeover and the end of Mara's role as Brehon of the Burren make their appearance.
Stephanie
I picked this up at the library, not realizing it was part of a series. I found it somewhat boring; not sure if I was missing the back story on some characters or events that may have made it more interesting?
Anne
Another good historical mystery from Cora Harrison set in Ireland 1511 featuring Mara, Brehon of the Burren.
Kathleen
Better than the last in this series, but no where near the promise of the first few.
Judy
Another Judge Mara who solves a murder of one of her students.
Madeleine
Oooooooooooooooo the English are baaaaaad in this one.
Cathy
I always like her books.
Simona F.
Simona F. marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Elisa
Elisa added it
Apr 14, 2015
Mary Noble
Mary Noble marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Shellii Huff
Shellii Huff marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Nancy Yob
Nancy Yob marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Chrisanne Penn
Chrisanne Penn marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Carrie Phinney
Carrie Phinney marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Susan Parks
Susan Parks marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Chalice of Blood (Sister Fidelma, #21)
  • A Surfeit of Guns (Sir Robert Carey, #3)
  • Face Down Under the Wych Elm (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #5)
  • The Lost Abbot (Matthew Bartholomew, #19)
  • The Broken Token
  • The Trip to Jerusalem
  • Follow Your Passion, Find Your Power: Everything You Need to Know About the Law of Attraction
  • Queen Without a Crown (Ursula Blanchard, #9)
  • The Murderer's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #6)
  • The Counterfeit Guest
194929
Cora Harrison worked as a headteacher before she decided to write her first novel. She has since published twenty-six children's novels. My Lady Judge was her first book in a Celtic historical crime series for adults that introduces Mara, Brehon of the Burren. Cora lives on a farm near the Burren in the west of Ireland.

More about Cora Harrison...

Burren Mysteries (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • My Lady Judge (Burren Mysteries, #1)
  • A Secret and Unlawful Killing (Burren Mysteries, #2)
  • The Sting of Justice (Burren Mysteries, #3)
  • Writ in Stone (Burren Mysteries, #4)
  • Eye of the Law (Burren Mysteries, #5)
  • Scales of Retribution (Burren Mysteries #6)
  • Laws in Conflict (Burren Mysteries #8)
  • Chain of Evidence (Burren Mysteries #9)
  • Cross of Vengeance (Burren Mysteries #10)
  • Verdict of the Court: A mystery set in sixteenth-century Ireland
I Was Jane Austen's Best Friend My Lady Judge (Burren Mysteries, #1) Debutantes Jane Austen Stole My Boyfriend A Secret and Unlawful Killing (Burren Mysteries, #2)