Start by marking “Diva (Frank Renzi, #2)” as Want to Read:
Diva (Frank Renzi, #2)

Diva (Frank Renzi #2)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  39 reviews
DIVA, a New Orleans suspense thriller featuring NOPD Homicide Detective Frank Renzi

Beautiful, talented and ambitious, flute soloist Belinda Scully wants to be a star. But fame can be dangerous. Someone is stalking her. Rejection stokes the fires of his lust. Her manager dies suddenly. NOPD Detective Frank Renzi believes he was murdered. But murder may not be the worst thin
Published June 12th 2011 by Lulu Press, Inc (first published June 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Diva, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diva

Dan Porter
In post-Katrina New Orleans, Homicide Detective Frank Renzi is juggling three investigations – a convenience store robbery involving the shooting of an off-duty police officer and the murder of a witness; a murder that may or may not be related to the robbery; and the stalking of a beautiful and talented flute soloist by a deranged fan. As if that’s not enough for him to deal with, the musician falls for him and he gets involved in a hot, office romance with a fellow detective. When the bodies b ...more
Maynard Allington
There is ample mediocrity in the thriller and mystery markets today, if only because of the E-Book revolution. But the small number of elite novelists still working in the genre just added a new member - Susan Fleet. In Diva, novelist Fleet covers all the structural bases essential to the architecture of a thriller. The plot line has been engineered with the precision of a blueprint. The author's writing style is lucid, crisp and never overblown. The dialogue is authentic for cops, as well as fo ...more
Amy Lignor
Okay, readers. We know all about suspense and ‘edge-of-your-seat’ thrillers, BUT when a writer comes along that can not only take the physical but the extremely psychological human emotions and interweave them together to make a story this dangerous and powerful - then you have definitely found Paradise!

Taking place in the horrific aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, readers find themselves in New Orleans surrounded by the worst that nature had to offer - not even thinking about the worst that ‘man’
John L
May 15, 2012 John L added it
Susan Fleet has spun two separate thriller plots into one story. Sound like a bargain? Believe me, it is. This is a good one!

Here we have a divorced tough veteran homicide detective in Frank Renzi and a widowed domestic violence detective in Kelly O'Neal, who incidentally happens to be a beautiful female. When they're thrown together as partners by two separate criminal investigations, you just can't help hoping that things are going to get interesting, if you catch my drift.

Enter two sociopath
Lisa Tortorello
Diva seemed like such a 'fad' title, that I almost didn't read this book because of it. I read Susan Fleet's first book Absolution and really enjoyed it, so I decided to take the chance on reading Diva, and I am certainly glad I did. It turns out Diva is a very fitting title that describes the prima donna flutist Belinda Scully who falls prey to a dangerous stalker that will stop at nothing short of having Belinda all to himself. I wanted to dislike Belinda because of her arrogance, but as the s ...more
Sheri
Diva (Susan Fleet)
Suspense/Thriller Belinda Scully is a famous flute player, a Diva. She has many fans, one that has become obsessed. Frank Renzi , a New Orleans police detective is investigating a robbery. He is called to investigate the death of Belinda's assistant, he believes this was a murder. Soon Belinda finds herself at the hands of a psychopath, a crazed man who is obsessed with her.

The second in the Frank Renzi series, well written nail-biting page turner. Susan Fleet gets into the mi
Elisabeth Zguta
Diva ia a great sequel. I loved the first book of the series "Absolution", and Susan Fleet did it again, delivering to us a great story in the sequel "DIVA". The way she mixes her love of music into the story is creative and unique. Susan's description of post Katrina New Orleans is very observant and thoughtful. I truly loved reading this series so far and eagerly anticipating the next book.
Roderick Low
Set against the sombre and wretched backdrop of post-Katrina New Orleans, Frank Renzi plies his trade as a police detective. But policemen work in the context of criminals and victims and it is those we meet from the start of this enthralling book. In quick succession we are introduced to a very sinister character later identified as Barry Silverman, a manipulative and repulsive stalker, and Belinda Scully, a talented and famous flutist who is coerced into making a complaint about a possible att ...more
Joyce
This time a Flautist is being stalked, but she doesn't want to deal with it. Renzi gets involved when her Manager contacts the NOPD about it. She develops a crush on Renzi, who does not reciprocate. Meanwhile things are not good in New Orleans. Crime and criminals are pretty much out of control following Katrina. A teenaged girl runs away from a robbery in which someone is shot, a woman is carjacked and thrown out of the car while it is moving and dies as a result. Renzi catches the teenager and ...more
Peter
Fleet has crafted a New Orleans mystery starring a villainous villain, an infuriatingly divaish (new word) victim and in Frank Renzi, a solid but sensitive cop protagonist. Mixed in are sub-plots that expose the hellish aftermath of Katrina on the city's population and those paid to protect it. Not only has she crafted a story that will keep you reading, but like all good authors she keeps out of the way and lets the story tell itself. I'm adding the first Frank Renzi novel to my to read list.
Dorothy Gagnon
THRILLING MYSTERY

Belinda was an up & coming concert musician, who came with her manager, Jake, to see Frank Renzie, a detective on the New Orleans Police Force, to report someone trying to kill Belinda. Frank began to investigate only to learn this was not the first incident Belinda received. Why would anyone want to hurt this attractive, gifted musician and for Frank, working now on several cases by a serial killer, couldn't allow himself romantic feelings for Belinda. His focus must be not
Jayme
New Orleans Police Detective Frank Renzi is back in DIVA, a fast paced, gritty suspense thriller from author Susan Fleet. Fleet’s intimate knowledge of the music world and sharp characterizations make her second book an intriguing follow-up to her first novel, ABSOLUTION. Enjoy!

Susan Ashcraft
'Any day without a murder was a good day in New Orleans' were words to live by for Frank Renzi, a homicide detective stationed out of the Eighth District homicide office. Always short on supplies and detectives unfortunately there seemed to be an unending supply of crimes and bad guys. Four years ago Frank Renzi left the Boston police force and relocated to New Orleans. Most put the move down to his wife divorcing him but it was so much more than that. Not many know of the young girl who died be ...more
Yvonne
some minor details change over the course of the book, leaving me wondering about validity. A woman who hits a tree with her car and deploys the air bag does NOT get out of the car, call a tow truck and walk into her house. 'She is a fireball in bed" leaves me feeling less than excited, Having lived in New Orleans pre Katrina, I know it's hard not to play the race card, but her use of the word "black" to decribe nonessential charactors is overpowering. It would have been nice if she had showed a ...more
Sherry Fundin
Belinda Scully, a solo flutist and soon to be famous, he thought. Today he would send her a message.

Renzi was just finishing up, when she walked into the precinct. Her escort insisted someone tried to run her over. Belinda shrugged it off, playing the Diva. Renzi knew neither of them was telling the whole truth, but before he could question them further, the phone rang. He was called away.

Belinda would repeat, over and over, "never give in to fear. Act successful and you will be successful. Beli
Elaine
The reader can almost feel sorry for him for his obvious lack of love. Almost. However the reader knows he's really a vile pervert bent on having the famed flutist Belinda. Her stalker fantasizes about her and plots his relentless sick pursuit.

While this is going on, there is a murder investigation involving a street gang whose lead member will stop at nothing to protect himself.

Murder, young love, drugs, gay love, dysfunctional familial and other dysfunctional relationships, and shoot-em-ups
Courtney
Diva was pretty good but, in my opinion, not as good as Absolution. The plot was split in 2 that ultimately did not have much to do with each other and did not seem very inspired. I guessed everything correctly. And Fleet gets the award for most reused descriptions of "acid roiling in his gut" (insert other adjectives for guts churning and burning here). It's seriously on every other page. I highlighted every description of "gut" and there were over 30. It's that and "dark, penetrating, intense ...more
Nancy
Could have been so much better if the story had been about Chantelle and Antoine against the gritty backdrop of post-Katrina New Orleans.

The author tried to tell too many stories. The Diva never garnered my sympathy, the stalker was clearly a sick man who felt throbbing in his groin way too often.

Frank and Kelly got it on really fast, no getting to know each other first.

The only other relationship that felt 'true' in this book was that of Jake and Dean.

Police procedures left a lot to be desi
Black Butterfly
Oct 25, 2013 Black Butterfly rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: BOOKBUB
Shelves: mysteries
HIP-HIP-HURRAY! I AM FINALLY DONE, THIS BOOK IS PART OF A SERIES I THINK THIS IS BK#2. I DID NOT READ BK#1, SO I DON'T HAVE A COMPARISON TO GO BY, I HOPE IT WAS BETTER THAN THIS ONE. THE STORYLINE SKIPPED AROUND TO MUCH, THE CHARACTER'S WERE SORT OF FLAT, NO DEMENSION. EVEN THE BAD GUY WAS JUST, BLAH. THE MAIN CHARACTER DETECTIVE RENZI & LOVE INTEREST FELLOW COP KELLY O'NEIL JUST HAD NO SPARK TOGETHER. NEEDLESS TO SAY I REALLY DIDN'T LIKE IT, I TRIED, JUST FELT LIKE STRUGGLING TO READ IT. NO ...more
Michael
A very well written suspense/thriller. Some of it was predictable but that didn't take away from the entertainment. A couple of shockers thrown in for good measure, I would recommend this book for someone who enjoys the good hard boiled detective novel even though it isn't on the level of some of the greats it did keep me interested.
Marilyn Slagel
Any book set in New Orleans grabs my attention. Mystery, thriller, vampires, love - all of them. Susan Fleet's DIVA did not disappoint me. Fabulous suspense throughout. I read Absolution first and couldn't wait to read DIVA. Looking forward to the next one!
Gina Basham
Really enjoying the series. Well written with great characters. Dark and disturbing. I will continue with the series and recommend. gbash
Laura Johnson
Enjoyed this book!

Enjoyed this book!

Nice, easy read, no heavyhanded machinations. just straightforward story with believable characters. would recommend and will look for others she's written.
Amanda
I contine to enjoy this series. I still saw it coming as far as who was the bad guy before they said, but maybe that was the point. It did leave me guessing as far as what would happen. overall it still leaves me interested in the series.
lynn waites
A fabulous read and gripping story line!

This was an unexpected surprise that I didn't want to put down. Unexpected twists, believable story lines, characters one can relate to.... what more can one ask for?
Joni
A romaticv, stalker, murder mystery set in post-Katrina New Orleans. Susan Fleet touches on man's inhumanity to man. There aren't any true red herrings, but plenty of suspensful moments.
E.J.
This could have been good, but some parts of the book were extremely annoying and didn't make sense at all. First half was 2 star, but the second half was 4 stars. Hence 3 stars.
Pat
Loved this mystery, couldn't put it down. My stomach was in knots at the end! This the second Frank Renzi novel I have read, and it didn't disappoint.
Eileen
Another edge of the seat mystery thriller by Susan A Fleet. The 2nd in the Frank Renzi series. I am hooked ,
about to read the 3rd in the series.
Delta

• The Missings
  • A Thousand Bayonets
  • Rise Up
  • Unnatural Justice
  • Yucatan Dead (Kate Jones Thriller, #10)
  • Torch Ginger (Lei Crime, #2)
  • Ascension Day
  • Vegas Was Her Name
  • Ending Evil (Evil Secrets Trilogy, #3)
  • The River
  • Bad Thoughts (Bill Shannon, #1)
  • Vostok: A Sequel to the Loch
  • Foreign Deceit (David Wolf #1)
  • Shadow of the Oak (A Sal Van Sleen Adventure)
  • Open Meetings (Jillian Hillcrest, #2)
  • Changes (The Randall Lee Mysteries #1)
  • Eyes of the Predator The Pickham County Murders
Music & Mayhem is my game. Started my trumpet career in my teens, got into the mayhem later. My print journalist father taught me how to play pool in the police station. Maybe that's how I discovered my dark side.

After gigging on trumpet in the Boston area for many years (while teaching at Brown University and Berklee College of Music), I moved to New Orleans, which became the setting for my
More about Susan Fleet...

Frank Renzi (5 books)
  • Absolution (Frank Renzi, #1)
  • Natalie's Revenge (Frank Renzi, #3)
  • Jackpot (Frank Renzi mystery series)
  • Natalie's Art
Absolution (Frank Renzi, #1) Natalie's Revenge (Frank Renzi, #3) Jackpot (Frank Renzi mystery series) Dark Deeds: Serial killers, stakers and domestic homicides, Volume 1 Dark Deeds: Serial killers stalkers and domestic homicides, Volume 2