Start by marking “Ashlyn's Radio” as Want to Read:
Ashlyn's Radio

Ashlyn's Radio

Ashlyn Caverhill has left behind her senior year of high school to live with her grandmother, and she's not happy about it. Small-town Maine has nothing on Toronto. But her mother is ill, and there's nowhere else to go. Even though it contains one Caden Williams--the hottest guy she's ever seen--Ashlyn thinks Prescott Junction is the deadest place ever.

She may be right. A
Published June 17th 2011 by Norah Wilson

To ask other readers questions about Ashlyn's Radio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ashlyn's Radio

Veronica Morfi
Feb 10, 2012 Veronica Morfi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a real sucker for good old creepy ghost stories. And this book is one of them.

Moving Canada to a small village in the US, Ashlyn was ready for the akward days at home with her stranger of a grandmother and her insignificant senior year at school but nothing prepared her for a talking indistrucable radio in the basement of her house that could predict the future and a ghost train with a conductor bend to trap whatever soul crossed his path.

I really liked this story. It was sweet and creepy
Sophie
May 15, 2012 Sophie rated it liked it
Not bad for a YA paranormal mystery romance. Indeed pretty spooky. Could not read it last night and had to put it aside until daylight. LOL. Written in such a way that for the most part you can focus on the story and not on the writing. I like that. A few times the author incorrectly used the subjunctive tense but it's my curse to notice stuff like that. Three teenagers (17-18), all of them misfits or outcasts of one sort or another bond in friendship and a need to deal with a threatening ...more
Dani
Sep 28, 2011 Dani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Ashlyn’s Radio was one of the creepier books that I’ve read in a while. Ghost trains? Possessed household appliances? A terrifying soul-stealing conductor who is evil personified? An inevitably doomed fate? Wilson Doherty, a collaborative writing team made up of Norah Wilson and Heather Doherty, did an excellent job of steadily building the mounting tension and using their vivid, detailed descriptions to capture those feelings of pure horror and dread. The radio in particular gave me chills, and ...more
Katie
Oct 05, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not usually into books about ghosts that are in the current, but this book was just fantastic. It was full of mystery, intense suspense and thrilling action. And romance of course.

Ashlyn Caverhill thought she was a typical 17 year old until her Mother became ill and was admitted into a psychiatric ward near her Grandmother. Ashlyn is now living with her Grandmother in a little town called Prescott Junction, or Podunk Junction as Ashlyn calls it.

There is a mystery in the town that nobody lik
Shirley
Aug 13, 2012 Shirley rated it really liked it
I must admit, I haven’t read many horror books lately since I get scared really easily, but I actually genuinely enjoy horror books. It’s like, I WANT to know what happens next, but at the same time, I’m also afraid to read further because of what images I might conjure in my head. Ashlyn’s Radio literally creeped the living daylights out of me but I just couldn’t put it down because I was obsessed with finding out answers and unravelling the secrets.

The story starts off with Ashlyn being sent t
Bonnie Lamer
Feb 27, 2012 Bonnie Lamer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What could possibly be worse than having your mother have a complete mental breakdown and be institutionalized? Or being forced to leave behind all your friends in Toronto at the beginning of your senior year and move to a Podunk little town in Maine with a grandmother you barely know? Ashlyn Caverhill finds out.
Prescott Junction isn’t just a sleepy little town in the middle of nowhere. The town is deserted at night, and people do stay in their beds after dark, but sleep is hard to come by when
Jodie
Oct 21, 2011 Jodie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ashlyn's Radio is made from one part Heather Doherty and the other part Norah Wilson. These two blessedly talented ladies have created a story that is to die for! I don't know how many times I was in the middle of reading and had to stop just to think of how amazing this book was. So scary, it'll give Stephen King nightmares!

Since Ashlyn's mom has been admitted to the psych ward, Ashlyn had no choice but to move back to her mother's hometown. This is the same hometown that her mother was trying
MT Bostick
Sep 10, 2016 MT Bostick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This was an excellent read. I am very careful how I pick eBooks to read. There are a zillion authors out there and just as many eBooks. Unfortunately, most of those eBooks aren't worth the time of day it takes to read the first sentence. This one was a wonderful surprise. It was written professionally, and edited professionally. It was a joy to read and a real page turner. The characters were well developed and complex. The story was meant to be scary and put you on the edge of your seat. It did ...more
Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)
This was a pretty creepy story. It reminded me a lot of Ray Bradbury’s Something Wicked This Way Comes (one of my favorite books of all time). The books don’t have much in common except for the spooky supernatural element that lingers on every page in the book.
The story line was highly original in this book. There are several things going on at once. First, there is this ominous radio that has haunted generations of Caverhill women. You don’t know whether it is run by a force of evil or not unt
Paula  Phillips
Jan 20, 2012 Paula Phillips rated it really liked it
Wanting a good scary novel ? One that in it's own way brings back the world of ghost stories , a world before Vampires, Werewolves and any other supernatural creature took over our literary hemisphere ?
The one thing that stood out more than anything reading Ashlyn's radio was the fact that it was in fact a good scary story , it reminded me of the stories I used to read when I was younger, books in the tradition of Christopher Pike's Remember Me .
We discover that Ashlyn's mother Leslie is in a me
Naj (Unputdownable Books)
Ashlyn's Radio. The moment you hear that title you'll think oh its a book about this person Ashlyn's Radio but nope. It started out with that household appliance and became much more.

This was my first true ghost book. It held its creepiness but the book wasn't engrossing enough to have me scared though it still held a mild captivating reel with the author's writing. As the story goes, it began at a regular pace with great chapter cuts and awesome characters who are strong and all the way lovable
Veronica Morfi
Jan 24, 2013 Veronica Morfi rated it really liked it

I really liked this story. It was sweet and creepy
Sharon
Aug 23, 2016 Sharon rated it really liked it
From the moment I started reading Ashlyn's Radio, I was hooked! It is a fantastic Young Adult Suspense Thriller, that grips you right from the start and just doesn't let go. It's probably bad form to compare a book to a movie, but there is a song that is central to this book that kept bringing to mind the movie "1408" with John Cusack (which is based on a Stephen King Novella - that I have not read) - and the creep factor is strong and heavy. If you liked that movie and enjoy reading YA Fiction, ...more
Paul
Mar 01, 2012 Paul rated it liked it
After Ashlyn's mother is hospitalized for a mental breakdown, she is forced to move from Toronto to the tiny town of Prescott Junction, Maine to live with her grandmother. Unless you believe the local legend about a ghost train that carries off lost souls, nothing ever happens...

I enjoyed reading a paranormal story that didn't involve vampires, werewolves or zombies. The heroine isn't some sort of secret magical princess, and there's no real love triangle with all the associated angst.

What you d
Cecilia (rather barefoot than bookless)
This is a great ghost story. I really loved it. It was really thrilling to read and I finished it in a day more or less. Of course there was also a great love story, and who can resist that. And I must say that this particularly love story was great I loved Ashlyn and Caden. They were just so sweet with each other and they did not take any bull shit form anyone. Ashlyn is a really strong Character. She knows what she wants and she wants Caden. Her friend Rachel is also a very interesting ...more
Apr 23, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this YA book. It was creepy, but not too creepy. It addressed some heavy topics in an approachable way, including cutting, abuse, interracial dating, single parenting, unplanned pregnancy, infidelity, and more.

The main character is a virgin, but she and her boyfriend do "anything but," looking foward to her eighteenth birthday. Nothing is graphic, but the end of the book is replete with makeout sessions.

Overall the message in the book is a good one.
Fiona
Feb 26, 2012 Fiona rated it it was amazing
This was a cracking read - super creepy.

I like it that it was a complete story and yes I suppose that the characters we not a filled out as I would have liked... But never the less a really good read and some really heavy issues are covered like self harming.... but this was covered in a positive way i felt..

I will definately be looking for more by this duo (this is written by two authors).

Kimberly
Mar 01, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome book. It is a YA book so I skimmed through the teenaged hormone overload bits. I've been there and done that. The story was very interesting and the book only took me a couple days to read.
Carrie Bee
Nov 04, 2013 Carrie Bee rated it it was ok
Interesting premise. I think this is supposed to be a Young Adult novel, but I would not recommend it for anyone under 18 due to sexual content. The author was trying for a level of suspense, but never quite reached it. The characters weren't as interesting as I had hoped.
Jenn
Jul 19, 2012 Jenn rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, paranormal
Gripped me from the beginning. I love supernatural stuff, and this was different. It didn't skirt around issues, or make issues out of nothing. A good read.
Ronda Blanke Geiger
Oct 08, 2013 Ronda Blanke Geiger rated it liked it
I would not run out to buy a book by this author but I did like the book. It is very different from my normal genre.
Becci
Dec 21, 2012 Becci rated it it was amazing
This was the best YA novel I've read in a long time. It was spooky and fast pace, had love, friendship, family. It was simply awesome. Highly recommend.
Bev
Bev rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Krystal
Krystal rated it did not like it
Mar 29, 2016
Robyn
Robyn rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2012
B.g. Powell
B.g. Powell rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Jackie Teague
Jackie Teague rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Anna Siler
Anna Siler rated it liked it
May 17, 2015
Tammy Quinn
Tammy Quinn rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • In Cassie's Corner
  • Dead World (Dead World #1)
  • Draugr (Northern Frights, #1)
  • Destined, a novel of the Tarot
  • Burden of the Soul
  • Haint Misbehavin'
  • Dream Walker (Paperback)
  • Dead Spell
  • The House Eaters
  • The Book Waitress (The Book Waitress, #1)
  • The Black Witch
  • Dark Before Dawn
  • Confessions of a Las Vegas Motor Cop
  • The Wishing Hour
  • Vampire Seeker (Samantha Carter #1)
  • Demon's Night (Jason Dark, #1)
  • Limbo's Child
  • The Gift of Illusion
A USA Today bestselling author of contemporary romance, romantic suspense and paranormal romance, Norah lives in Fredericton, New Brunswick, with her husband, two adult children, two dogs (Ruby and Neva) and two cats (Ruckus and Milo).

Norah is a three-time finalist in the Romance Writers of America's Golden Heart contest. In 2003, she won Dorchester Publishing's New Voice in Romance contest.

In ad
More about Norah Wilson...