Start by marking “Inspector Zhang Gets His Wish” as Want to Read:
Inspector Zhang Gets His Wish

Inspector Zhang Gets His Wish (Inspector Zhang)

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  582 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
Inspector Zhang loves mysteries, but as a Detective Inspector with the Singapore Police Force he knows that mysteries are few and far between. There are relatively few crimes in the city state and those that are committed are usually solved quickly. But that all changes when Inspector Zhang is called to a top Singapore hotel where a guest has been found murdered in a locke ...more
Published June 16th 2011 by Three Elephants

To ask other readers questions about Inspector Zhang Gets His Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inspector Zhang Gets His Wish

Madhulika Liddle
Jul 02, 2015 Madhulika Liddle rated it really liked it
In a posh Singapore hotel, a wealthy American named Wilkinson - a regular guest at the hotel - is found murdered in his room. Inspector Zhang and his earnest young assistant, Sergeant Lee, arrive to investigate the murder, and Zhang, after looking at the CCTV feed and questioning some of the hotel staff, realizes that Wilkinson could only possibly have been killed in a period of less than 15 minutes. 15 minutes when he was all alone in a hotel room with sealed windows, the corridor empty, and no ...more
Devi Nair
Jan 20, 2015 Devi Nair rated it it was amazing

Check the complete review at Inspector Zhang Gets His Wish > Review

This is a very interesting closed door murder mystery. The author gives due respect to Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot at various instances. Inspector Zhang lives in Singapore where murder is very rare. And he had spent his life waiting for that perfect locked room murder mystery to pop up. When such a mystery finally pops up, he refuses to use any scientific help to try and solve his much awaited mystery.
F.R.
Mar 10, 2015 F.R. rated it really liked it
Brevity means that this isn’t the most complex or challenging locked room mystery you’ll ever read, but brevity also ensures it’s light, graceful and nimble on its feet. Much like Gideon Fell breaks the fourth wall in ‘The Hollow Man’ to acknowledge that he’s a fictional character, so Inspector Zhang clearly knows that he’s in a short story and that’s he’s the descendent of Sherlock Holmes, Fell himself, Hercule Poirot and even Batman. He’s a charming little man fully aware that he’s in a charmi ...more
Linda
Aug 14, 2011 Linda rated it liked it
This book was very easy to read. I would think that most adolescents would be able to understand it well. My husband and I were looking for a short story to read and picked this one. Turned out to be a good one. Clean, easy to read, and short; it was a perfect short story book.
Midnight
Nov 08, 2011 Midnight rated it it was amazing
This tale is a short story at just under 9,000 words and demonstrates the author's adaptability in expertly penning a tremendous variety of style in his fictional works.

It introduces readers to the very dapper Inspector Zhang of Singapore Police. Together with his sidekick Sergeant Lee, the narrative has the Inspector leading his sergeant through his very carefully deliberated thought processes in solving the murder of a businessman in a five star hotel - a crime that is very rare in Singapore.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Quote from author:
""One thing I have never been able to understand is why an organisation like the National Black Police Association is allowed to exist. It is by its very nature racist - hoping to promote the interests of a group solely on the basis of the colour of its members. A police officer can lose his job if he is found to be a member of the British National Party, which in the past excluded non-whites. But the NPBA, which is solely for non-white police officers, is allowed to operate w
Eric_W
Jun 05, 2012 Eric_W rated it really liked it
A charming homage to John Dickson Carr, master of the "locked room" mysteries. Zhang is excited because he has been called to the location of a murder in which the scene is straight out of Carr and Zhang recognizes that in Singapore, where few crimes are committed, he may never get another opportunity to emulate the great literary detectives. Sergeant Lee plays Watson to Zhang's assumed role of Holmes.

A man is found dead in his hotel room, stabbed, but with no murder weapon in the room and CCTV
A.J. Armitt
Jun 01, 2012 A.J. Armitt rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this short story by Stephen Leather, and it will definitely lead me to download more of his 'Inspector Zhang' stories.
For me, the central character was well developed and instantly likeable, and I thoroughly enjoyed the way in which he interacted with his assistant.
I also liked the way the author laid down the 'rules' for a locked door mystery before revealing how this particular crime was committed.
This piece of work seemed a million miles away from some of his other books whic
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Published: 16/06/2011
Author: Stephen Leather
Recommended for: fans of other Stephen Leather books
Edition: Kindle

I saw this short novella (39 pages) on the Kindle Store for free and so I thought that I would give it a read. I have read a couple of short stories by Stephen Leather and this is by far my favourite one, even though it is really really short it still manages to be a really good storyline.This book features the incredible Inspector Zhang who ends up solving the mystery of the death of a
Eric Pabon
Sep 12, 2012 Eric Pabon rated it it was amazing
A good short story, with an interesting cast of characters. You instantly get a feeling for the main characters, Zhang and Lee, and how their relationship is; Lee, the ever faithful student,
Zhang, the wiser, slightly eccentric Mentor.

You get all of this in a very short amount of time, and though the story is simple, and quick, I enjoyed every moment. I will definitely be reading the rest of the Inspector Zhang series.
David Caldwell
Feb 18, 2014 David Caldwell rated it really liked it
Another free download that I stumbled across.

There are very few unsolved murders in Singapore and even fewer that are locked room puzzles. So when he gets called in to investigate the death of an American businessman in a 5-star hotel, he wants to make the most of it. He will use his love (and knowledge) of locked room mysteries to solve this intriguing little puzzle. But will " ze little grey cells" prove to be enough to catch the killer?

I loved the references to classic mystery characters, sto
Martin Cooper
Jul 23, 2011 Martin Cooper rated it really liked it
A Kindle free short story, old style detective whodunit in the style of Agatha Christie's Poirot about a murder in a locked room, well written and executed I did not guess the culprit and will certainly look out for some more books from this author.
Paul Trembling
Jan 27, 2016 Paul Trembling rated it liked it
The font and formatting were a strange choice - quite off-putting at first, and all the stranger as the free extract from one of the author's novels (at the end of the story) was in a more normal style, and much easier to read. And Inspector Zhang's attitude to forensic science, though fully explained in the story, is still very unlikely in a modern police force. A pure deduction crime mystery would perhaps be more authentic if set in a different time, prior to the development of forensic proced ...more
Neil
Jul 02, 2011 Neil rated it really liked it
Interesting character and intriguing locked door mystery
Ann Peters
Sep 12, 2012 Ann Peters rated it it was amazing
I love Stephen leather's diversity in his writing
Susan Dolinko
Sep 29, 2011 Susan Dolinko rated it it was amazing
Highly enjoyable
Jess Mountifield
May 03, 2013 Jess Mountifield rated it really liked it
I picked this short story up on amazon as I've been wanting to try this author for a while. I have to admit it took me a while to decide what I thought of it.

The character, Inspector Zhang, is quite quirky, but in a fairly stereotypical way. He reminded me a fair bit of Sherlock holmes and I think that was probably deliberate but I didn't feel like I got to know him well enough, which is often the problem with short stories. Less time for character development. I did really like this one though,
Ernesto I. Ramirez
Jul 14, 2012 Ernesto I. Ramirez rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Josèphe-Anne
Jul 21, 2013 Josèphe-Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, short-story
Stephen Leather certainly knows how to weave a classic mystery. The action kicks off immediately as Inspector Zhang and Sergeant Lee arrive at the crime scene. I really enjoyed the contrast between the detective and his assistant. Zhang's excitement at his first real mystery is overwhelmingly giddy, childlike, and positively hilarious! I chuckled to myself as I envisioned a young boy pacing around with a tweed deerstalker hat and a magnifying glass: Zhang as a kid after he decided he wanted to b ...more
Matthew Hussey
Jul 01, 2012 Matthew Hussey rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those with an hour free
Not a bad book but the trick to unlocking the locked room mystery was quite simple and this is my first real venture into this genre. As for Inspector Zhang, he seemed strange to me. Almost straight away he went against protocol and put off calling in forensics, against arguments from his assistant. He then acted like a child explaining with glee how this was a wonderful crime to investigate. He went on to describe the idea of a locked room mystery to the reader and even gave away the solutions ...more
Timothy McNeil
Apr 19, 2014 Timothy McNeil rated it liked it
Second story read on Kindle Fire

Now that I have the device, I figured I would get around to reading the free stories I collected. Inspector Zhang Gets His Wish isn't exactly my cup of tea, but it does decent service to the genre. The beginning of the novel is more engaging (something closed room mysteries are not built to be), but the chapters feel very short.
Doreen
Oct 18, 2014 Doreen rated it it was ok
I read it because it was based in Singapore.
Story wise, it is not bad. Simple and an easy afternoon read.
However, despite my limited interactions with the Singapore police, I am very sure they do not act like little boys like Inspector Zhang.
His self-absorbed character makes me definitely not want to get the series.
Hemantkumar Jain
Mar 12, 2015 Hemantkumar Jain rated it liked it
A nice little locked room mystery where Inspector Zhang gets called to a 5 star hotel where a guest has seemingly been murdered in a matter of minutes ... inside a closed room.

Zhang does not leave this opportunity and behaves like a complete show-off ... but in the end, satisfactorily solves the mystery.
France-Andrée
Feb 04, 2014 France-Andrée rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, short-story
The mystery isn't that complex, but what really got on my nerves is all the talking about locked room mysteries. A lot more time should have been spent on working the descriptions and characters development than showing off on the knowledge of other mystery writers. It is a okay piece of fanfiction...
Michelle Douglas
Jul 31, 2015 Michelle Douglas rated it really liked it
Another short story from the pen of Stephen Leather. Inspector Zhang is definitely a likeable main character.
This book also includes the first three chapters of Bangkok Bob and The Missing Mormon-an interesting title to get you hooked
James Bowers
Jan 03, 2016 James Bowers rated it really liked it
Elementary My Dear Watson

I really liked this book and the vigour with which Zhang carried me through the murder. His glee at a seemingly unsolvable murder is a fascinating and oddly endearing character trait.
Christoph Fischer
May 07, 2013 Christoph Fischer rated it it was amazing
"Inspector Zhang Gets His Wish" by Stephen Leather is an excellent short crime story. I am not a huge fan of crime fiction but have heard my partner talk about the closed room cases many times.
Inspector Zhang investigates one of such cases where the victim is locked and dead in a locked room without a murder weapon present or the murderer. Determined to solve the case without forensics he uses logic and plenty of references to other such cases to solve the murder.
Crime fiction lovers will adore
Lisa A.
Nov 29, 2014 Lisa A. rated it really liked it
Good locked room mystery that takes place in Singapore. It entertained me for the hour it took to read it and I liked the character enough to read more.
May 22, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Inspector zhang reminds of many TV detectives, mainly, columbo, Sherlock Holmes and poirot. Would make a great detective series on TV.
Not many crimes are commited in the Singapore therefore when Inspector Zhang gets called onto the job of solving a murder case he is excited. There is rarely any mystery to solving a crime in the city state, however when the murder victim seems to have been killed within a locked room all that changes for Zhang.

I liked Inspector Zhang's character, he has quite a quirky personality and I liked his partner Sergeant Lee. I enjoyed the deduction skills of a 'locked room' mystery.

This short story wa
  • Waiter, There's a Clue in My Soup! Five Short Mysteries
  • The Depot: When Life and Death Cross Tracks
  • Friend Request
  • The Vanishing
  • To Read or Not to Read
  • The Curse of the Holy Pail (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #2)
  • The Second Ward
  • Bestseller Bound Anthology (Volume 1)
  • The Clever Detective: Story 1 (A Fairy Tale Romance)
  • Dancing
  • A Bolt From The Blue
  • Blindsight (Mirus, #1.3)
  • The Steampunk Detective
  • Virtual Strangers
  • Children of the Flower Power
  • Tuned In to Love
  • The Last Drop
  • The Quickie Sexy and Short Erotica Story
Stephen Leather was a journalist for more than ten years on newspapers such as The Times, the Daily Mail and the South China Morning Post in Hong Kong. His bestsellers have been translated into more than ten languages. He has also written for television shows such as London's Burning, The Knock and the BBC's Murder in Mind series. For much of 2011 his self-published eBooks - including The Bestsell ...more
More about Stephen Leather...

Inspector Zhang (7 books)
  • Inspector Zhang and the Falling Woman
  • Inspector Zhang and the Dead Thai Gangster
  • Inspector Zhang and the Disappearing Drugs
  • Inspector Zhang And The Perfect Alibi
  • Inspector Zhang Goes To Harrogate
  • Inspector Zhang and the Island of the Dead (a short story)