Start by marking “The Breathing Book: Good Health and Vitality Through Essential Breath Work” as Want to Read:
The Breathing Book: Good Health and Vitality Through Essential Breath Work

The Breathing Book: Good Health and Vitality Through Essential Breath Work

A new approach to improving quality of life through your most accessible resource: your breath.

Internationally renowned yoga instructor Donna Farhi presents a refreshingly simple and practical guide to reestablishing proper breathing techniques that will dramatically improve your physical and mental health. Complete with more that seventy-five photos and illustrations, Th
Published November 15th 1996 by Holt Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Breathing Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Breathing Book

Nikki Magennis
Mar 07, 2012 Nikki Magennis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really exceptional. Gentle, subtle, thorough and wonderfully useful. The author writes with such quiet authority it feels like a beginning 'inquiry' to even read her words. There are no quick fixes or easy answers in here, though, so don't buy it if you're not prepared to meet the author halfway and actually try doing some of the yoga-like work within.
Plenty of informative physiological information on breathing. Plenty more grounded but philosophical ideas on breathing, too. There'
Elijay
Dec 30, 2015 Elijay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga, 2016
I found it very difficult to find a book about yogic breathing despite it being integral to yoga practise. So, when I bought this book I was happy that I found what I had been looking for. Farhi's practises and explanations are easy to understand. There are very well drawn digrams which help you to comprehend the anatomy of more subtle breathing patterns (these are not always easy to feel). This book is great for anyone who is has an asana practice.

From a personal perspective I would say that t
Melanie
Mar 09, 2017 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an exploration of breathing that includes mindful practices. Although yogic work is included, this is not a deep look at pranayama. It is a very good support both for those looking to improve respiration in daily life, and for those looking for a mundane inquiry to apply to pranayama. I find it full of useful meditations for students looking for general meditations that follow their breath, as well as to prepare students for pranayama.
Leon Hermanson
Jun 10, 2017 Leon Hermanson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life
Awesome book! You think that breathing is breathing, what can be said about it? Lots actually. Donna Farhi takes you through it all with great exploratory exercises so you can experience what she is talking about. It's probably possible for you to breathe in an even more beneficial way, so read the book (and do the exercises!).
Jan
Jan 18, 2013 Jan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just as I commented in my review of Yoga Body Mind and Spirit, this book is largely fluff. Farhi does not present many of the key pranayama techniques, and refuses to provide the Sanskrit. Her experiential exercises are good if you are a beginner. To me, this was not a helpful book for an intermediate or advanced student, or for a teacher trainee. Pass.
Mimi
Jun 26, 2007 Mimi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yogis
Shelves: forthespirit
i really like donna farhi. i had the opportunity to take a workshop with her and it really changed the way i practice yoga and move in general. one day i hope to study with her in new zealand. annie, you should read this.
Anne
Mar 17, 2012 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really exceptional and useful book so far - in yoga and especially in daily life. Have reduced amount of asthma med since I started reading the book, doing the exercises and incorporating these into life in general.
Heather
Jul 18, 2007 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book for anyone who wants to use their breath in ways to reduce stress and feel better. This book is extremely accessible for all readers and will make you completely fascinated by your own breath through all the guided inquiries.
Tracy Weber
Sep 03, 2013 Tracy Weber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only normally recommend Viniyoga books, but his one has some wonderful breath practices that I liberally steal for my teacher training program. A great text for people looking to explore the power of the breath!
Leticia
Jul 12, 2007 Leticia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
And, you thought you knew how to breathe. This book offers additional insights and exercises to help you achieve proper yogic breathing techniques, which inevitably lead to better breathing during your daily life.
Clara
Nov 16, 2011 Clara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, yoga
I read this book for my yoga teachering training course and enjoyed the author's ideas, suggestions, and exercises to help broaden my knowledge and use of the breath in yoga and in life.
Mark
Skimmed copy via Summit. I believe I need this.

Put on-pause 26 April 2016 as have not touched it in a very good while.
Linda
Jan 15, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting perspective on breath work. I have read other things by this author and this is my favorite one so far.
Terri Kirkman
Dec 26, 2012 Terri Kirkman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great book about using the breath to heal
Michelle
I think I very much need this book! My breathing techniques need serious work!
Mark
May 17, 2011 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great exercises to improve both your breathing and your awareness of your breathing. Even if you regularly practice yoga or meditation, these exercises can help give you new insight into the breath.
James
James rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Rachelheart
Rachelheart rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2012
Cathy
Cathy rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2011
Nikidisanto
Nikidisanto rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2017
Melanie A. Starr
Melanie A. Starr rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2014
Lawrence
Lawrence rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2010
Cate Kripak
Cate Kripak rated it it was ok
Sep 25, 2014
Liz Burke
Liz Burke rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2011
Kelly Mullins
Kelly Mullins rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2012
Paula Crawford-hall
Paula Crawford-hall rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2014
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2011
Rita
Rita rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2012
Ben Lavender
Ben Lavender rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness
  • Back Care Basics: A Doctor's Gentle Yoga Program for Back and Neck Pain Relief
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice
  • Anatomy of Movement
  • Mindfulness Yoga: The Awakened Union of Breath, Body, and Mind
  • The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga
  • Yoga as Medicine: The Yogic Prescription for Health and Healing
  • Will Yoga & Meditation Really Change My Life?: Personal Stories from 25 of North America's Leading Teachers; A Kripalu Book