Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of Mind Blowing SF” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of Mind Blowing SF

The Mammoth Book of Mind Blowing SF

Many readers are attracted to science fiction for that singular moment when a story expands your imagination, enabling you to see something in a new light. Not all SF works this way! This volume collects the very best of it that does, with 25 of the finest examples of mind-expanding and awe-inspiring science fiction.The storylines range from a discovery on the Moon that op ...more
Published (first published July 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Mind Blowing SF, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Mind Blowing SF

Mark
Oct 11, 2011 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-read
Out of the Sun by Arthur C. Clarke - 7/10
A nice simple short story looking at the possibility of sentient life within the sun. Short and sweet, but unfortunately average.

The Pevatron Rats by Stephen Baxter - 9/10
This is a good story about rats that appear inside a particle accelerator that show some very strange qualities that lead to an infestation the likes has not been seen before. I really enjoyed this one and like the twist in the story - a highlight of the collection.

The Edge of the Map by
Princessjay
Good for whiling away a leisurely 10 min here and there, but contains nothing that blows the mind, nor is even particularly memorable..

-----

Out of the sun - Arthur C Clark
Might be great, but I literally cannot recall it without having to reread it.

The Pevatron Rats - Stephen Baxter
A quick and absorbing read about time travel and its effect on rodent evolution.

Edge of the Map - Ian Creasy
In a world blanketed by nanocams, what space is left for the monstrous and strange? A journalist makes her l
Melanie
Sep 20, 2014 Melanie rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, short-stories
Some of these could genuinely be described as 'mind-blowing', but for the most part these stories were pretty average. And some were just down-right weird. But that's probably something you're going to get with any anthology, and there are certainly some good ideas within.
David C. Mueller
While I did not feel that this book lived up to the claim of its title, it is a very interesting collection of modern SF stories. The variety of stories is good. My favorite by far is Eric Brown's "The Rest is Speculation," which reads like an up to date version of an Olaf Stapledon story, perhaps the highest compliment I can pay. This short story led me to read more of Eric Brown's work.
Nikola
Jan 02, 2014 Nikola rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I do realize that the word "mindblowing" in the title has a lot to do with marketing, but I was very disappointed when I realized it had much more to do with marketing than I assumed. The book opens up with a short story by Arthur C. Clarke, "Out of the Sun". It is a fairly good story and it made me think the book is going in the right direction.

Truth is, it's all just downhill from there on, with a couple of exceptions, such as "The Hole in the Hole" by Terry Bisson, which is a nice and relaxin
Tim Hicks
Jan 31, 2014 Tim Hicks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Does what it says on the tin.

The stories, a mix of old and new, are consistent with the theme of taking an angle that stretches the reader's mind a bit. No home runs, maybe, but mostly solid hits.
Some are just an author playing with an idea, but in a short story that's fine. Mostly established authors.

It was interesting to read the Blish story that gave us the spindizzy; I hadn't seen it before. And I particularly liked "The Rest Is Speculation" just for being different.
Ethan
Jul 04, 2014 Ethan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like many anthologies, it's hard to review this one as a whole. Some of the stories are excellent, some are average. I didn't think any were terrible. My favorites were the stories by Clarke, Baxter, Zahn, Crowther, Swanwick, Reynolds, Silverberg, and Brown. I thought the Eric Brown story was most indicative of the sense of wonder promised by the title of the anthology. It seems that the editor agreed since the cover art was inspired by that story. I read bits and pieces of this over time, which ...more
Odhran
Definitely not mind-blowing, that's for sure. The stories in here are all pretty good, but, for the most part, don't really rise above the pack in terms of wonder or storytelling or anything else. The first two stories, "Out of the Sun" and "The Pevatron Rats", are a strong start, and "Cascade Point" is a good solid novella. "Castle in the Sky," "The Hole in the Hole," "Mother Grasshopper," "The Black Hole Passes," and "The Width of the World" are all above-average, with ncie little twists on re ...more
Falbs
Sep 25, 2016 Falbs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some truly great sic-fi in here, but too much leaning into fantasy on several of the stories.
Kevin Driskill
Some epic tales and intriguing stories. Easily read and lots of fun.
Peter Cowan
Jan 21, 2016 Peter Cowan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of grand stories, some stood out as excellent.
Stephan
Apr 10, 2015 Stephan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the stories. Have read it through twice.
Wade Harmon
Sep 25, 2011 Wade Harmon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an above average anthology of SF stories. “The Rest Is Speculation” is a special story that stays with you. “Bridge”, a James Blish story offers a nice insight into the concerns and anxieties of the early '50s. “Anhedonia” speculates on a different way to reach the stars. Overall, it's a nice mix of old and new, long and short. For SF fans its worth picking up.
Earl Biringer
Above average:
Baxter: "The Pevatron Rats"
Watson: "The Width of the World"
Silverberg: "Our Lasy of the Sauropods"

Below Average:
Benford: "A Dance to Strange Musics"
Swanwick: "Mother Grasshopper"
Blish: "Bridge"

Absolutely Horrendous:
White & McCombs: "The Peacock King"

Still Have No Idea How To Rate It:
Roberts: "Anhedonia"

Average:
Everything else
Ketan Shah
Most of the stories here weren't exactly mindblowing. Robert Reed's effort,Castle In the Sky was the strongest one.Michael Swanwyck's Mother Grasshopper was also well put together. The Peacock King ,Anhedonia,The Width of the World and Our Lady of the Sauropods both had interesting premises as well but the other stories seemed quite bland.
Florin Pitea
Aug 03, 2014 Florin Pitea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent anthology which delivers what it says on the cover. Good value for money. Recommended. For a detailed, review, please visit my blog here: http://tesatorul.blogspot.ro/2014/08/....
Robert
Jan 06, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid collection of "sense of wonder" science fiction stories. Concise, informative introductions lead off stories that are consistently good or excellent. I even enjoyed stories by a few authors I normally don't care for.
Louise Armstrong
Mostly let's solve a problem with clever technology stories, which don't do it for me, but I loved Our Lady of the Sauropods by Robert Silverberg and Tiger Burning by Alistair Reynolds.
David
Jun 18, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Not every story is great but it was certainly broad with lots of interesting subjects. A solid handful of very strong stories as well. Worth dipping in and out of.
Danielle
Aug 08, 2011 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed Tiger Burning, Peacock King, Mother Grasshopper, The Width of the World, & Into the Miranda Rift.
Kyle
A solid collection. A couple of really good stories and no real clunkers.
Derrick
Mar 26, 2011 Derrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how much it blew my mind, but it was pretty damned good.
Arvind Vijh
Feb 16, 2013 Arvind Vijh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Great 'hard' sf stories by the masters- Varley, Blish...an others.
De Jan
3.4 stars!
John W Hook
John W Hook rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
mariane
mariane marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Melissa Areland
Melissa Areland marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Aaron Mccoy
Aaron Mccoy marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Lyuben
Lyuben marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
  • The Mammoth Book of SF Wars
  • The Hard SF Renaissance
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Seventh Annual Collection
  • The Eighth Science Fiction Megapack: 25 Modern and Classic Stories
  • Engineering Infinity
  • The Apex Book of World SF (Apex Book of World SF #1)
  • The Time Travel Megapack: 26 Modern and Classic Science Fiction Stories
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2010
  • The Mammoth Book of Steampunk
  • The Science Fiction Megapack: 25 Classic Science Fiction Stories
  • Fireflood and Other Stories
  • The Mammoth Book of Golden Age Science Fiction: Ten Classic Stories from the Birth of Modern Science Fiction Writing
  • Federations
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • The Oxford Book of Science Fiction Stories
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2011 (Nebula Awards, #12)
  • The Robert Sheckley Megapack: 15 Classic Science Fiction Stories
Michael Raymond Donald Ashley is the author and editor of over sixty books that in total have sold over a million copies worldwide. He lives in Chatham, Kent.
More about Mike Ashley...