Becoming Enlightened

Becoming Enlightened

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  490 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Happily, we do not have to remain trapped by the past. His Holiness reveals how life-enhancing Buddhist practices, as relevant today as they have ever been, can help us break free from the cycles of suffering that ensnare us. He encourages us to broaden our outlook and to adjust our personal values. And he gives us the tools to deal with any negative emotions we may experi...more
Published January 7th 2010 by Rider (first published December 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming Enlightened, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming Enlightened

Ann
In Becoming Enlightened, His Holiness the Dalai Lama powerfully explores the foundation of Buddhism, laying out an accessible and practical approach to age-old questions: How can we live free from suffering? How can we achieve lasting happiness and peace?

Dalai Lama says that all religions are valid and each is suited well for a different group of people. It says Buddhists should never go around trying to convert others. Buddhism is not better than other religions. Each religion is a path, each o...more
Terence
Mar 21, 2010 Terence rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People looking for an antidote to Ayn Rand
Recommended to Terence by: New Book shelf @ library
The best vacation I've ever had was the three weeks I spent in Nepal in 1995 or '96. I was lucky. The military junta had been overthrown but the Communist insurgency hadn't begun; the Nepalese were enjoying what turned out to be an all-too-brief peace. Of those 21 days, the best of the best were the eleven I spent at a Tibetan Buddhist monastery north of Kathmandu. I've always had an intellectual interest in Buddhism, and my week and a half of direct exposure to people who were living a version...more
Rod
This was way too much fun - in a nasty way! Here goes:

Because of this book I now know about hungry ghosts, gods and demi-gods, HELL-beings??? and lama's. And here I was thinking that Buddhists are intellectual philosopher's that aren't really religious. (just kidding!) And yet they claim LOVE has priority. Says WHO?

I picked this book up because of the retarded comment on the back:
"It is very important to value all religious systems...since all religions share these goals, it is important to resp...more
Maritily
Practice avoiding the 10 nonvirtues:

3 main physical nonvirtues: killing, stealing, sexual misconduct
4 main verbal nonvirtues: lying, divisive talk, harsh speech, senseless chatter
3 main mental nonvirtues: covetousness, harmful intent, wrong views

This alone makes the book worth reading.
Kevin
Not sure this fits into his usual "Art of Happiness" handbooks style. It seemed to be heavy on the reincarnation and religious side of Buddhism aspects. Although it did have a few of the expected, tasty, enlightened nuggets of wisdom that only bald people wearing pajamas can really provide.

Instead of taking a lot of the non-religous-specific advice to heart, I found myself thinking more often than not, "Yep, this is why I'm not officially a Buddhist." (Hint: it's not because I don't like wearin...more
Thomas
To my surprise and regret I find that I'm not yet enlightened after reading this book. No fifth star for you!

Of course it isn't that easy. The Dalai Lama describes three stages or levels of practice in detail, and in the course of 200 pages covers most of the major tenets and history of the Buddhism. He repeats key points and phrases so that the text at times reads like Buddhist scripture, but they are points that bear repeating and re-reading and deep thought.

He mentions toward the beginning...more
Carmen Micsa
I have read most of his books, and they are, of course, filled with divine wisdom and graciousness. I enjoyed listening to this book, although he repeated some of the key conpcepts, such as the noble truths, and so on. One of his key concepts is loving and cherishing others before we cherish ourselves, which I think it's the leitmotif of the book well-worth repeating, as we constantly seem to forget these simple and noble truths.

Being selfless is also a recurrent theme in the book, which even t...more
Carrie
Much more specific than the last dali lama book I read which was sort of pop psychology or something, this is very specific explanation of the buddhist belief and the steps laid out to enlightenment.
Jeannie Mancini
Tibet is famous throughout the Buddhist world for introducing in layman’s terms, the practice of enlightenment. The Dalai Lama shows us in a comprehensive yet simplistic way, the practical methods of learning to cope with daily stress from the complexity of today’s society, and the benefits these practices can reap once the ancient art of enlightenment is achieved. In this short but concise book, he outlines practical ways to end our suffering through promoting kindness & tolerance, and by p...more
Shane Amazon
Over the years I have found myself looking for some sort of spirituality or connection to a higher plain. With many of the mainstream religions I've found an emphasis on following rules and less emphasis on guiding a person to inner strength and morality. After watching a documentary on BBC about Buddhism and the history of, I decided to do a little more research on the history and teachings.

After looking over a plethora of books I came across Becoming Enlightened and read the product descriptio...more
JoJoTheModern
With no illusions about becoming a Tibetan Buddhist, I humbly review this book.

The Dalai Lama put together something excellent in Becoming Enlightened, a treasury of wisdom both ancient and set to the tune of modern science. Eschewing deeper philosophy for practical basics, one of the contemporary era's most respected religious leaders explains how anyone who wants it can taste a dash of Tibetan Buddhism's peace and compassion for humankind.

"Once when I visited Canada, several Christian demonstr...more
Jon Evans
This is a great introduction to Buddhism. In this book the Dali Lama covers all the basics and gives you a broad and somewhat generalized understanding of Buddhism and the path to enlightenment. He lays down the groundwork for the path to enlightenment in simple yet profound steps that will leave any reader truly enlightened at the end. For those looking to expand their knowledge in Buddhism for the first time, this is a great book to start with. Even if your not looking to become Buddhist you w...more
Z
A beautiful and moving book, and a fabulous primer for anyone who is interested in Buddhism, as a practitioner or simply from curiosity. With its emphasis on universal benevolence and mortality, it is one of the most profound books I have ever read, and I found it useful and inspiring even though I am not Buddhist and do not plan on becoming Buddhist.

(If you are interested in the beneficial, practical, aspects of Buddhism and not so interested in Buddhist dogma, I would recommend The Art of Happ...more
Kevin Klukowski
this book is so inspirational i can't believe I've put off reading it for so long. I've always had an interest for buddhism and now, with reading this book, i definitely want to start my path to enlightenment. religion was never my thing and i always thought that believing in a "god" was just odd because you don't know that the god you believe in actually existed. as i got to the religion part of this book, i realized buddhism shares the exact same view that i have and even cleared up my own vie...more
Greg Ferguson
A very interesting book.

Having only read a little bit about Buddhism online, I was excited to read this to get more of a feel of the teachings. I found many things easy to agree upon and other aspects a little bit more faith-based, but in whole I found it fascinating. I think I came away from this book with more of an open mind towards certain things, and has led me to think about things a little differently. I enjoyed how he referenced modern psychology and science a bit, but I wish that had ma...more
Karen Villanueva
If you believe in life after death this is a wonderful book. If you don't, it's still a wonderful book--but it's no-holds-barred instruction is very difficult to follow, at least for a person like me. Humility; morality; forgiveness; kindness; altruism; understanding why we suffer; and recognizing that the inner attitude is the key to happiness--or at least to being happier--is what this book is about. It's a tough road to refine oneself to become a better person and it is a journey without end....more
Victoria Durm
I recently became a big fan of the notion of Karma. So I wanted to look more into it, and meditation. I came across this book at my library, and had to read it.

While it was a great read, there were some moments where I had to go back, and re-read. Now, I don't know if it was the concepts, or the way they were presented, but it was hard to comprehend at times. I eventually gave up after getting halfway through the book. Now, that doesn't mean I didn't like it. I just think it was a bit too compl...more
Jason Estrem
Not bad, but it wasn't the easiest to get through. It felt a little too "instructional."
Elissa Bratcher
The Dalai Lama outlines the steps towards Buddhism's enlightment. The biggest thing I learned from this book was about dependent-arising. How reality isn't always how we first perceive it. And that when we are hasty and inpatient (non-focused mind)we often lead to exaggerated conclusions.

Some chapters were a little tedious to read, while I flew through others. All and all, a good book!!
Mer
This is a great beginner's book, not alot of Tibetan or Sanskrit words to memorize, he reiterates alot of the concepts and lists several times. It gives me several opportunities to let it sink in but may be too much for another person.

There was one section I really enjoyed and now have it written out as a morning intention. I'll definitely get a hard-copy to add to my library and make notes in.
Carlo Fernando
Respect, practice, the acceptance of death. Truly what are essential to build a relationship with the spiritual self and with humankind. A book of compassion and about the true virtue of life. This book made me realize how important it is to be morally upright, and how we should aim for greatness even without reward.
Lloyd
This book is valuable for anyone who is on the path of self realization, regardless of your previous knowledge of Tibetan
Buddhism, whether "beginner" or "accomplished" there is material
in this book that the reader can use to learn more about buddhism
and there mind and there current state of being.
Glenn
The lama has written lots of books, but this one is especially cool. He doesn't go into how to meditate, but does outline the exact things that a Buddhist does meditate on, in order, up until they attain Buddhahood, which was very interesting. By the way, Buddhahood is a fantastic word.
Matt
Picked this up when it came out in 2009, after having been very moved by the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying. I don't say that I "converted" to Buddhism around this time, but somewhere between 2008 and now, I realized that I just happen to be a Buddhist.
Lolly LKH
I am not a buddhist but I like to pretend to be, no really.. this book is interesting so far. Some of it is hard to wrap my mind around, and while I don't quite follow most of the Dalai Lama's beliefs, I respect them and feel enlighted just reading.
Great book! I really liked it! I didn't realize that I had already been practicing much of what he teaches in this book. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a more deeper meditative life.
Alanna
This was the first book I purchased at my university campus bookstore, and so glad I did! Changed my outlook on life. Whenever I need inspiration of any sort, reading this book or parts of it does the trick.
Dave
Very good introduction to Buddhism. Simple and easy to understand. The book reviews several major points of the religion. For people who are no buddhist, this book provides great life advise.
Pat Durham
Hello Dalai...

His Holiness talks about the path to enlightenment - aimed at Westerners. Not the deepest of his books but if everyone read this book we probably would all be better off.
Qiana
I am just beginning to learn more about Buddhism, so this books was a little too advanced for me. What I could understand was very useful so I plan to return to this later.
  • Breathe! You Are Alive: Sutra on the Full Awareness of Breathing
  • Rebel Buddha: On the Road to Freedom
  • The Joy of Living: Unlocking the Secret and Science of Happiness
  • The Words of My Perfect Teacher
  • Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond: A Meditator's Handbook
  • Dancing with Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Majjhima Nikaya
  • Buddha Is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living
  • What Makes You Not a Buddhist
  • Bringing Home the Dharma: Awakening Right Where You Are
  • The Long Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Digha Nikaya
  • The Way of the Bodhisattva: A Translation of the Bodhicharyavatara
  • In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon
  • The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way: Nāgārjuna's Mūlamadhyamakakārikā
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the...more
More about Dalai Lama XIV...
The Art of Happiness An Open Heart: Practicing Compassion in Everyday Life The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama