Start by marking “Tired of Trying to Measure Up: Getting Free from the Demands, Expectations, and Intimidation of Well-Meaning People” as Want to Read:

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Written to point the way to freedom for Christians who live under an unwritten religious code of expectations and rules that drain them of spiritual strength.
Published July 1st 2008 by Baker Publishing Group (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Tired of Trying to Measure Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tired of Trying to Measure Up

Elizabeth Lane
More therapy homework. Really good for people, like me, who constantly feel the need to live up to other's expectations in order to be accepted. Learning to simply love and be the person God made you is A.) the point of your existence and B.) a lot easier/less exhausting. I'll admit it is a little weird to use the self-talk method at first: "I'm lovable because God made me," "this isn't my fault," etc. but it does work whenever you feel attacked or triggered to doubt yourself.
Valerie
Tired of Trying to Measure Up is written for people who live under a deeply ingrained code of expectations and rules that shame them and drain them of spiritual strength.

Although this book has been written with Christians in mind, it would be helpful for anyone. If you struggle with addictions, low self-esteem, can't seem to stop doing the same things that you hate to do over and over, struggle with perfectionism, or laziness. This book could save your life and your relationships.

Chock full of w
Lisa Cline
This book was required reading for a class in theology and while I have already learned some of this things he wrote about I also learned many new things as well.
It really does teach you why you struggle with acting why you do and the solutions for it. I would recommend this book to anyone who struggles with shame and anger.
Englandjennifer
A very practical book that puts so much into perspective. Full of so much information I thought this was a stellar book for those who don't feel like they are good enough and put too much weight on what others think of them.
Debi
This book is refreshing in its encouragement and emphasis on who we are in Christ, not in placing our value in our behavior or what we do. Trying harder doesn't work. We have already been made valuable and acceptable through Christ's work on our behalf.
"...individuals and families are almost as shamed and exhausted from the solutions they're being given by the Christian community as they are by the problems for which they're seeking help. That's because even among Christians a focus on appearanc
Jeremy Maddux
Typical 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps' pep talk with no respect for individual liberty as laid out by the architects of America.
Sunshine
I'm going to buy this book as soon as I can. For me, it's become a Christian classic along the lines of 'Beyond Ourselves' (Marshall) and 'He Loves Me' (Jacobson). Not only does it reveal a lot of the shame-based motives in Christian circles, but outlines practical methods for clarifying a new lifestyle and thought patterns free of guilt, shame, and people-pleasing.

Amanda
Jul 15, 2008 Amanda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amanda by: Carolyn Bivens
This is a really good book about how shame informs our lives and how to break out of the cycle of shame. There is good practical advice in the last couple of chapters and some examples that really hit home for me. While I was reading I was thinking of which people in my life could benefit from reading this. I'm not sure who to send it to first!
Rhonda Martin
I would love everyone to read this book for the message it is sending. Is it most well written or engaging thing I have read? Not exactly. However, the concepts are so important and the good parts so good you can surely over-look the imperfectness, and maybe even incompleteness, of this book.
Lisa Vu
Excellent read! This book addresses the works mentality that can enslave Christians and the true meaning of God's grace that leads us to work from The Rest and not just rest from The Work.
Julie
I took my time reading this one. It was full of mind bending, thought provoking statements. I will definitely have to re read this one again.
Karen
Excellent book, particularly for those who grew up in Christian fundamentalism or struggle with legalism, guilt for not "measuring up." Very healing.
Amy
Haven't finished this book yet. Only starting Chapter 3 and I've learned So much already! It's insightful & challenging.
Brian
I bought this book because the title provided me with a near perfect description of how I felt after I left Seminary.
Alex
Perfect for an age consumed with self validation and building our resumes. The writing is simple and insightful.
Alicia
A very good and inspiring book. My mother encouraged me to read it and I am so glad that she did!
KD
Excellent book braking mindsets and moving on. Resting in who Christ is and what Christ achieved.
Mark-robyn
Speaks to an issue commonly experienced among believers.
Dionne
Jul 26, 2008 Dionne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dionne by: Dr. Hodges
An excellent book for defeated perfectionists!
Tamera
Really good book. Very eye opening!
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Tom Pagh Jr.
Tom Pagh Jr. marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Rosie Hooton
Rosie Hooton is currently reading it
Jan 20, 2015
Chara
Chara added it
Jan 18, 2015
Mary Sanders
Mary Sanders marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
MonDee
MonDee marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Tired of Trying to Measure Up 1 1 Apr 30, 2012 09:39AM
  • The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse: Recognizing and Escaping Spiritual Manipulation and False Spiritual Authority Within the Church
  • 31 Days of Praise: Enjoying God Anew
  • Thyroid Power: Ten Steps to Total Health
  • Feeling Fat, Fuzzy or Frazzled?: A 3-Step Program to: Beat Hormone Havoc, Restore Thyroid, Adrenal, and Reproductive Balance, and Feel Better Fast!
  • Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It
  • The Story of Christian Theology: Twenty Centuries of Tradition and Reform
  • Love Must Be Tough: New Hope for Families in Crisis
  • Conformed to His Image: Biblical and Practical Approaches to Spiritual Formation
  • Woman Power: Transform Your Man, Your Marriage, Your Life
  • Living Well with Hypothyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You... That You Need to Know
  • Creation Regained: Biblical Basics for a Reformational Worldview
  • Effective Biblical Counseling: A Model for Helping Caring Christians Become Capable Counselors
  • Secrets of Your Family Tree: Healing for Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families
  • 20,000 Days and Counting: The Crash Course for Mastering Your Life Right Now
  • It's Your Call: What Are You Doing Here?
  • The Jesus Style
  • Becoming God's True Woman
  • Chasing Daylight: Seize the Power of Every Moment
Families Where Grace Is in Place Soul Repair: Rebuilding Your Spiritual Life Good News for the Chemically Dependent and Those Who Love Them Hope and Help for the Addicted When Drugs And Alcohol Hit Home (Family Life Today Audio Series)