Start by marking “Memoirs of a Snowflake” as Want to Read:

Memoirs of a Snowflake

"In the moment before my first memory, I feel a wonderful lightness, a floating sensation that isn’t truly a sensation because I don’t yet know who I am or that I am. But then I feel a coming together, a sense of going that is my becoming, my awakening. And that is my first memory."

The life and times of a December snowflake. A 1,000 word short story.
Published (first published March 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Memoirs of a Snowflake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memoirs of a Snowflake

★Carri
Sep 05, 2011 ★Carri rated it it was amazing
I was beginning to think that I wanted all short stories to be longer. This story proved me wrong.

I never thought to feel sorry for a snowflake before. This story takes you into its - well, I was about to say tiny, but I realize my error - huge world. After all, how large is the world when you're a tiny snowflake?

My background to this happened to be "O Magnum Mysterium." It was playing just as I decided to read this, and it was PERFECT for the imagery.

I can't believe such a "tiny" story broug
Cathy
Jan 02, 2012 Cathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
This short story was free for Kindle. If it's not free now it will be well worth the price you pay.
It is, quite simply, the story of the life of a snowflake: from birth in the cloud-mother to falling to earth.
It is lyrical and sweet. You can read it in five minutes but I quarantee you will think of it every time it snows.
The ending was, by far, the most magical ending you could imagine for a snowflake.
E.A.
Aug 04, 2011 E.A. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This story is a cute read. The imagery is great and I liked how it turned out.
Robin Resch
Oct 12, 2016 Robin Resch rated it it was ok
To me this was not a book. Found it to be boring. I should have paid better attention to the title, that should have clued me in as to what kind of "book" this was. I will pay better attention to titles of books in the near future.
Kristen
Jan 20, 2016 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories, 2016
I find myself a bit surprised at how much I like this short story/allegory. The short life of a snowflake, so much like the short life of a human.

" I will not end. I have not ended. I have lived before and will live again—I will not be erased or eradicated. Even if I lose my individuality, in my rebirth I will again rise unique."

I am very taken with that quote. It is a ten minute read. I found it delightful.
Nathan Major
Sep 24, 2011 Nathan Major rated it liked it
Entertaining, if short and not particularly my cup of tea. I can appreciate the oddness of writing a story from the perspective of a snowflake, however, and that was enough for me to say I enjoyed it.
Julie Barrett
Dec 16, 2015 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it
Memoirs of a Snowflake
Love just looking at snowflakes as they fall onto the ground and the light shining through them as they fall.
Interesting take on being a snowflake. It's just as I pictured as it's described.
Author's blog is mentioned.
Benjamin
Dec 31, 2015 Benjamin rated it it was amazing
For the length, it has a lot of thought and emotion to it and it's definitely a great story to read on a cold winter night and one that would be fun to come back and read again after thinking it over.
Misty
Misty rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2014
Rose M
Rose M rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Ms.
Ms. rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Liz Thomas
Liz Thomas rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2016
Lynxie
Lynxie rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2011
Stu Pitt
Stu Pitt rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2014
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2015
Sandra Flores
Sandra Flores rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2011
Elisabeth
Elisabeth rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2011
Lori
Lori rated it it was ok
Jun 14, 2012
Janie  R. Freeman
Janie R. Freeman rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Mario
Mario rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Stephen
Stephen rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2012
Annaliese Lemmon
Annaliese Lemmon rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2011
Katie
Dec 30, 2015 Katie rated it it was amazing
Beautiful
Di Pagnotti
Di Pagnotti rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2013
KenN
KenN rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2015
Denisa Howe
Denisa Howe rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2013
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2011
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was ok
Mar 22, 2014
Phyllis
Phyllis rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Jessi
Jessi rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2012
When Joe Vasicek was seven years old, he saw Star Wars and instantly fell in love with Science Fiction & Fantasy. A year later, when he read A Wrinkle in Time and The Neverending Story, he knew he was destined to be a writer.

As a young man, he spent several years as a global nomad, criss-crossing the United States and trekking across the mountains of the Caucasus, the shores of the Mediterrane
More about Joe Vasicek...

“Don’t be afraid, she tells us. Every end is a beginning. You lived before you were born to me and you will return here after.” 3 likes