Start by marking “Where She Has Gone” as Want to Read:
Where She Has Gone

Where She Has Gone

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  209 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Returning to the Italian landscape of his acclaimed debut, The Book of Saints, Nino Ricci's Where She Has Gone is a work of uncommon emotional impact. Ricci's hero is Vittorio Innocente, a Canadian born in Italy, who after his father's death finds himself drawn to his halfsister, Rita. After a moment of disturbing connection between them, she leaves Canada for Europe; he f ...more
Published July 1st 1998 by Picador USA (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Where She Has Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where She Has Gone

Bonnie
I have clicked four stars, but to me, this final book in The Lives of the Saints trilogy deserves 3 stars. Where She Has Gone is better than In a Glass House, but not as good as the first, Lives of the Saints.

It took me a long time to read this book, especially during the sagging middle, where, once again, Nino Ricci resorted to repetitive usage of words or phrases. Worse, many of these were the very same as the ones I felt inundated with when reading In a Glass House. And the narrator was ten
Paula Dembeck
This is the final volume of the trilogy Ricci began, telling the story of Vittorio Vincente, a young six year old boy growing up in Valle del Sole a small mountain village in the Italian Apennines. His mother Christina, pregnant with another man’s child left the town for Canada where her husband awaited her. During the transatlantic crossing and in the midst of a terrible storm, she delivered a baby girl, but died during the process. As Vitto landed in Canada, a father he did not know awaited hi ...more
MARGO
I picked up this book for $2 so thankfully it did not cost me a lot. It was just a so-so read. I had watched the movie several years ago called "Lives of The Saints" starring Sophia Loren which was based on the book of the same name by this author. I found the movie very very good. However this book was not as interesting as the movie, so I was quite disappointed.
Andria CM
This is the final book in the trilogy (Lives of the Saints). This book continues with the life of Vittorio as an adult in Toronto and his sister, Rita. I would have to say that I enjoyed the second book the most. I felt I wanted more from this one.

Overall an enjoyable series from a Canadian author.
Rosie
Finally, the end of the trilogy. Actually a good story, but depressing due to the self doubt of Vittorio and Elena (lesbian) and adopted sister of Rita, Vittorio's half sister. Was she traveling with her real father, John - who, if so,n never told her about her mother? Nobody told Rita anything about her rooots. Victor seemed better off in Africa than in his home in Italy. Lots to think about, but nothing happy ever happened to the characters.
Shirley
If you are a person who does a lot of internal analysis of thoughts, feelings, and the human condition this book fits....I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I got the impression that there was some paranoia happening for the brother and there was definitely some incest happening with the justification that they were not true brother and sister...wanting a more intimate relationship between man and woman not brother and sister...lots of family history. Just what I like to read....human relations.
Val
Part three in a trilogy. This book continues the life of Vittorio Innocente, who, now as an adult, tries to find himself and further the connection between his grown-up half-sister and himself. This book further explains the past as Vittorio remembers it, but we are shown how memories are mostly a representation of what we wish to remember. Ricci's writing is astounding, and he really shows his writing skills in how past events from the other books are interlinked to conclude in a full circle.
Melinda Worfolk
I remember slogging through this one grimly. I'm giving it two instead of one star only because I liked the beginning well enough and thought it seemed promising. It did not live up to the early promise and was sort of creepily sad but without much point. Also, and this irritated me greatly, I kept reading the title as "Where HAS She Gone?" instead of "Where SHE Has Gone."
Lynda Matthews
This is the third book in the Trilogy by Nino Ricci - taking us back full circle to Italy in the end - to find out the answers to the big question in the first two books. Book two and three focused mainly on the sibblings, their short incestuous relationship, and their ultimate love and desire to find out answers to what made their family so fractured.
Lebrown
I agree that the author vividly describes the sights and sounds of the scenery (to the point of boredom), but the characters are just shadows and the relationship between the siblings is uncomfortable. I was hoping the slow story telling and attention to detail would have some pay off with a great ending, but I was very disappointed.
Marc
Rita is accurately undeveloped because she's always been a tool of self-discovery for the protagonist - was this on purpose, or just a lucky accident? Regardless, what's not an accident is Ricci's exploration of shame via incest, which he's done perfectly
Margaret1358 Joyce
This 3rd of a trilogy sustained the lyrical beauty and characterization of the previous two. Very satisfying.
Tracy
this book as with the other two have stuck with me....haunting, simple, subtle....
Louisa Ielo
A sad story really, depressed characters.
Mara
Jul 08, 2009 Mara added it
Left me pensive for more than a week...
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Tina Denson
Tina Denson marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Dave
Dave added it
May 27, 2015
Natalie Light
Natalie Light marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Childhood
  • Luck
  • Kilter
  • Summer Gone
  • A Wall of Light (Tel Aviv Trilogy #3)
  • The Mark Of The Angel
  • The Rules of Engagement
  • The Book of Secrets
  • The Island Walkers
  • A Student of Weather
Nino Ricci’s first novel was the internationally acclaimed Lives of the Saints. It spent 75 weeks on the Globe and Mail‘s bestseller list and was the winner of the F.G. Bressani Prize, the Books in Canada First Novel Award, and the Governor General’s Award for Fiction. In England it won Betty Trask Award and Winnifred Holtby Prize, in the U.S. was shortlisted for the Los Angeles Times Art Seidenba ...more
More about Nino Ricci...
Lives of the Saints The Origin of Species Testament In a Glass House Book of Saints