Deviant Ways

Deviant Ways

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  269 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Move over, Hannibal Lecter. The Sandman is coming, and he's going to knock you off your perch as the world's creepiest and smartest serial killer. Chris Mooney's nail-biting, scarifying debut thriller features a fully drawn protagonist in former FBI profiler Jack Casey, whose life was shattered when another madman killed his pregnant wife before his eyes. Now Jack's a loca...more
Published March 5th 2001 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2000)

Joshua Allerton
Jul 16, 2014 Joshua Allerton rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller and crime fans.
Deviant Ways is a fast-paced, action-packed thriller with loveable characters that play on your mind all day long.

The Opening Chapter

The opening chapter lured us in slowly to the book. Despite wanting a more immediate start, there was still enough interest to get the juices going. The use of stereotypes was acceptable as the foundation of character building.

Style and POV changes

Chris Mooney's combination of fantastic similes and metaphors created lovely (and gruesome at times) imagery that only...more
Marianne Stehr
This book introduced too many characters, had a spotty back story and seemed like it should have been a sequel to another book, but I don't believe it was. To me, it was too "all over the place" and lacked the continuity that a good thriller should. Additionally there was no mystery, the "killer" is identified, you have no idea who he is and has limited relationship with everyone and it apparently terrorizing a cop he doesn't know, hooks up with a different killer from what should have been a pr...more
Ginny
The first book I read by this author was "Remembering Sarah." I loved it and began reserving his earlier books. Deviant Ways was his first novel and he has grown as an author. I enjoyed this novel but at times had to suspend belief. I just didn't see how the bad guy could have pulled off all that he did and gotten away with it for so long. Still, this was an engrossing thriller that held my interest.
Maerhys
I am not sure what to say about this book, except that my reading of it was greatly influenced by my last Chris Mooney novel, THE SOUL COLLECTORS, which deals with many of the same characters. I'd wanted to read DEVIANT WAYS first because I knew that TSC was sort of a sequel to it, but it's not available in the USA except via Audible and that's a new release. So what about the actual book? I am putting everything under a spoiler tag from here on out; spoilers for this book as well as THE SOUL CO...more
Jue
Oh wow, this is one hell of a clever thriller; I was hooked from the very first page and could not put it down. I freaked myself out reading this at bed time, so had to reduce the reading hours to day time only.!
Apart from Peter James, Chris Mooney certainly knows how to write and keep his readers hooked, its a novel that's filled with such believable characters, such vivid storytelling, with such breath taking intensity.
This is the story of the Sandman, a killer who knows your every thought,...more
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
I'm giving this one 4 stars, because it was a good thriller. I had just read "The Soul Collectors" and Jack Casey had featured in that one, so it was going backwards to read Deviant Ways. I should have read that one first. Casey is investigating the "Sandman" murders, a killer who kills families and then bombs their home, when the police arrive on the scene. Also, this is the one where Malcolm Fletcher first appears, he later appears again in the Soul Collectors. This explains the background in...more
Krista
I just re-read this book because I got in trouble for a kid taking it off of my desk a few years ago and I wanted to look at it again to see how inappropriate it really was. I was correct in my previous thoughts. They termed it a sexual/erotic book and it was anything but. This is about a serial killer who was created by a secret government project. He blows up buildings and people who were associated with the program. There is violence gallore, very little mention of sex (just one scence where...more
Susan
This is book was recommended by a regular reader of this list. Thanks, Sherry! This is Mooney's first novel and it's a great start. Jack Casey used to be an FBI profiler until his job hit too close to home. Now, he's on the force in his hometown and a case raises it all again. There's a creepy serial bomber and an even creepier cast of characters who are working with Casey to solve this case. There were some rough edges and a few leaps of credibility but I'm thinking those were more symptoms of...more
Jordan Taylor
AMAZING
This thriller book was so captivating and honestly scared me at times. It was so hard to put down
Kharkrider
A call is placed to say a family has been shot. Jack Casey (ex FBI) goes to investigate and realises there is a bomb in the house which is set off using a motion detector. When another crime is committed in a similar way and Jack starts receiving phone calls from The Sandman it gets personal especially when his girlfriend is threatened. I found I was slightly confused by whether some of the other characters in the book were out to kill Jack or support him.
Rebecca
This book was SO TENSE I felt like I couldn't breathe at some points. My main gripe was that it became quite repetitive with all the dangerous situations - I understand that the author put them in to make the villain seem more threatening but at the same time Jack would get into danger, then think that he should be more careful, then get into danger, then think that he needed to be careful...etc. However I did really enjoy it.
Jeremy David
One of the most extreme serial killers I have ever read about, and the chances of anyone being THAT good is near impossible. But it still came out as a very good thriller, and am intrigued by the Malcolm Fletcher character. Definitely in need of more adventures about him. As for this book, not a lot of complaints. Flowed fluidly. Grade: A-
Taภya
This was a great thriller really enjoyed it, lots of explosions Loved it.

My favorite saying in the book was,
"That's it, put it on the table, keep your hands there. Very good.
Now who else is here with you?"
"I'm here alone."
"I don't believe you."
"Tough shit."

That bit made me laugh, this book was well written,
i will definitely be reading more of Chris Mooney's books.
Pat
Decisions, decisions. A tormented cop and former FBI agent (Casey) is dragged into a terrifying game by a twisted killer. Casey often gets it wrong in his hunt for the psychopath and its painful but compelling to follow his tortuous progress. Very dark and tense, I couldn't put it down.

It must be time for a change to some lighter material.
Carolyn
I occasionally enjoy a book that is strictly good vs evil. This was a great example. I actually was leaning toward 5 stars but pulled back because what would that say about me...the title is Deviant Ways! Huge FBI cover-up and John Q. Citizen is pulled into a fight he doesn't want!
Dundee Library
Familiar elements crop up in this story -- a traumatized FBI profiler, a psychopath with novel methods, high-tech details -- but Mooney's focus on the characters and their interactions make this story rise above the run-of-the-mill serial killer chase.
Paul Parkin
really great story and well written, keeping to the story rather than drifting with info that's not relevant. Not many Novels keep me reading till end without skipping or struggling to read on. This kept me entertained and wanting to finish book.
Emma
Having recently read all the Darby books and the new Malcom book I was excited about getting my copy of Deviant Ways (not available on kindle). I was not disappointed. Chris' writing grabs you from page one. It is an excellent read.
Felicitas
Ein packender und spannender Thriller. Mit jeder Seite steigt die Spannung und man fiebert mit der Geschichte mit. Ein wahnsinns Roman. Auch der Schreibstil ist gut zu lesen und der Geschichtsaufbau ist logisch und gut nachzuvollziehen.
Emma Walker
Had only read one other Chris Mooney previously which I had loved so was expecting big things but this was a real disappointment. The book fell apart on holiday and I should have taken that as a sign to move to something better.
Jaime
This was merely average for me. Mooney didn’t make me particularly care about any of the characters or their welfare. I kept expecting a twist, like a mole who was helping the bad guy, but it never came.
Lee
This was one scary/terrifying serial killer debut. The Sandman has to be one of the best characters out there....and I mean best in one of the worst ways....or should I say, deviant way! Very good.
Afsana
I liked the twist and turns and seeing some of the characters that we see in other books

I ferlt it was a bit slow going.

some of it seemed a bit extreme but well worth a read
Kaye
Considering this book was published in 2000, I found it surprising that "beepers" (Beeper King, anyone?) played such a central role, along with cell phones and encryption devices. Hmmm....
Jerome Peterson
I had to bale out of this story at page 38. There was too much blood, killing, explosions, swearing in the first few pages. The action grabbed me at first but it was over the top for me.
Pauline
Good storyline but somehow I don't enjoy this authors books as much as I should.Don't know why but this is the 2nd I have read of his and there is just something missing for me.
krin
This was a gripping thriller with many twists and turns. I liked the interaction between Jack and Malcolm as they try to outwit and out think the Sandman.
  • The Girls He Adored
  • Little Girls Lost (Carson Ryder, #6)
  • Ties That Bind (Amanda Jaffe, #3)
  • The Death Sculptor (Robert Hunter, #4)
  • The 50/50 Killer
  • Der Kindersammler
  • The Medici Secret
  • Choked (Brennan & Esposito, #4)
  • Watch Me
  • Merciless (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #3)
  • The Survivor (Jacob Striker, #1)
  • Blood Ties
  • Pursuit
  • Blood of Angels
  • Senseless (Senseless, #1)
  • Stripped (Jonathan Stride, #2)
  • Precious Blood
Chris Mooney is the critically acclaimed author of Deviant Ways, World Without End, and Remembering Sarah, which was nominated for the Barry Award and the Edgar Award for Best Novel. He lives in Boston with his wife and son.

Series:
* Darby McCormick
More about Chris Mooney...
The Missing (Darby McCormick #1) The Dead Room (Darby McCormick #3) The Soul Collectors (Darby McCormick #4) The Secret Friend (Darby McCormick #2) The Killing House (Malcolm Fletcher, #1)