Start by marking “How to Raise Kids You Want to Keep: The Proven Discipline Program Your Kids Will Love (and That Really Works!)” as Want to Read:

A daily challenge for today's parents is incorporating positive discipline techniques and practices that put an end to temper tantrums, defiance and meltdowns. Dr. Jerry Day helps parents develop practical methods that teach children a fundamental attribute: how to willingly live under authority. His successful methods are based on four key principles that parents must ins ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Sourcebooks (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about How to Raise Kids You Want to Keep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Raise Kids You Want to Keep

Marissa Morrison
Dec 20, 2008 Marissa Morrison rated it did not like it
I will confess that I didn't make it through this whole book. I stopped at the Now or Later technique. To summarize, the author encouraged his kids to make a big mess and then offered them the chance to clean it up now or later. Of course they chose later. Then he let them go to bed for the night and proceeded to wake them up every couple of hours to ask whether they wanted to clean the mess "now or later." At some time around dawn the poor kids finally succumbed to this torture and cleaned up t ...more
Mar 26, 2008 Valerie rated it it was amazing
I only like parenting books that add more specific tools to my parenting tool belt. Lots of parenting books spout theory or make me feel like I'm not doing enough (!). This book is one of the rare parenting books that gives me discipline ideas I would never come up with on my own--that I've never read anywhere else. It's particularly useful for early-late adolescents, but I used some of the techniques with an 11, 9, and 7 year old with success. The "Mouse Ran Up The Clock" idea is very helpful f ...more
Nov 25, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: worn out moms
Recommended to Kelly by: Jen
I gave it 5 stars because of the "pillow talk" chapter alone, which helped Solomon stop sucking his thumb in week. This book is for written for hard kids, and probably a bit too much "parenting" for people with mellow kids. If you don't have a hard kid, skip it. If you do, and you are at your wits end looking for motivating ways to get your child to do what you want them to do, then maybe it is worth a look for you.
It's definately a book I'll keep on my shelf to reference for awhile.
Dec 08, 2008 Colleen rated it really liked it
This is a really good book. It gives tons of suggestions on methods for disciplining children when nothing else is working. It reads really easy. Day has included tons of examples to illustrate his points. He also has an excellent chapter giving tips and encouragement for dads, as well as a really good one for teenagers to learn how to get there parents to say yes to anything. Over all it was wonderful to finally have some new ideas for discipline to use when traditional methods do not work. The ...more
Feb 05, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents with school-age kids
Shelves: parenting
I really liked the philosophy behind this book and there are some great strategies for getting your kids to "want" to obey. All about positive reinforcement! Many of the practical applications were too old for Morgan and more geared to kids who have blaringly bad behavior, but if you read thoughtfully, the concepts can be applied to any child (or dog - I have been trying some of the techniques with my puppies - I know that isn't the intent, but it seems to be working!)!
Mar 27, 2008 Amy rated it liked it
This book has some discipline techniques that are definitely different from anything I've read before - the now or later technique had me laughing and asking myself, would I really do this? The book has too many "real" stories of kids for my liking, so I've been skimming a lot. It does have things to try for all ages. I checked this out from the Decatur library if anyone is interested.
Nov 30, 2012 Jennifer rated it did not like it
Shelves: parenting
First of all this guy is not a parent- that means his opinion in parenting matters much less to me- I'll take Michelle Duggar's word over his any day...

I only skimmed it because so much of what I was reading upset me. Much of what I read seems to teach you to be a passive aggressive parent who secretly enjoys torturing your child-- not my cup of tea!
Jul 09, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it
I got a lot of discipline ideas from this book. It gives you a lot of strategies for when time-outs and taking away a privilege doesn't work, or for with older children. I like the author's attitude and creativity. Some of his ideas are extreme, but it is nice to have them already in my head in case we get to an extreme parenting place someday.
Dec 29, 2012 Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Full of practical techniques for discipline. Very useful when kids stop reacting to "time outs". Pick and choose the ones right for you and your family.
Talise Pierce
Talise Pierce rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Renee Eaton
Renee Eaton marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Crystal Collier
Crystal Collier rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2015
Jennifer Beran
Jennifer Beran marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Samsudinnurradzimah marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Lim Yam Chee
Lim Yam Chee rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2015
Casey marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Stephanie Pitman
Stephanie Pitman rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Amanda rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2015
MarieGabrielleJoseph marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
R Latimore
R Latimore marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Herbert Finkle
Herbert Finkle marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Melissa Miller
Melissa Miller rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Natasja marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Deanna marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Gillian marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2013
Shelley marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
Markihda marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2013
Terri Brown
Terri Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2013