Start by marking “Summer Of '42” as Want to Read:
Summer Of '42

Summer Of '42

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,023 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
About the Author

Herman Raucher began his professional life as a messenger at 20th Century-Fox Films in New York City. The next fifteen years saw him leading somewhat of a double life. As an advertising man he served as V.P., Creative Director and Board Member for several major advertising agencies, including working as Copy Director for Walt Disney Films and a two-year sti
Hardcover
Published June 1st 1971 by Putnam Pub Group (T) (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Summer Of '42, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer Of '42

Amy Wilder
Jan 19, 2010 Amy Wilder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this a couple of times during the summer, there's a dog-eared copy at the house I spent all my summers at as a kid. I love the nostalgia and the coming-of-age jokes and I read it before I got the jokes and after, which makes it a part of my own coming of age, I suppose.

This was made into a movie, I think, but I always think of it as so similar to Stealing Home (not the plot but the central love story of a boy and an older girl who seems so impossibly beautiful and experienced she makes
Sonia Reppe
Good writing and characters. I've seen the movie but I think the book is better. Hermie experiences a range of emotions at 15, and being inside his head is hilarious; I laughed out loud. It's summer, he's young, he's in love with a 23 yr old married woman, and his hormones are driving him crazy. He wants to do something important, he wants to be mature and to grow up; most of all he wants to get laid.
Troy
Jun 16, 2011 Troy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I've read this book many times since I found it in the linen closet when I was 12 or so. The characters. The thought process. For once, I could identify with a white kid around my age who, even 45 years previous, still fancied himself the smartest thing in the room, albeit I had no Oscy to back me up.

When people talk about "coming of age", I think of this book.
C.D. Coffelt
Dec 27, 2013 C.D. Coffelt rated it really liked it
Hermie is fifteen, too young to join in the war effort and too old to be counted a kid. He is one of a gang of three boys whose families take a vacation in the summer at Nantucket Island. They run with the sun and wind and dream of days when they are treated as adults.

This summer is the turning point for them. Girls, dating, and an experience that changes Hermie forever.

Love and war touches him and the hurt from both feels nearly the same.

Summer of ’42 was the movie everyone wanted to see in 19
Robert Palmer
May 29, 2012 Robert Palmer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The setting of story is an island off the coast of Maine about six months after Pearl Harbor. It concerns Hermie Oscy and Benjie.They call themselves the terrible trio
as they ramble around the island.Hermie and Oscy seem to think of nothing but sex and how to do it.Benjie hasn't cought on yet ( he will,we all do) Hermie meets and falls in love with a twentythree year old war bride Dorthy.In his highly imaginative mind he and Dorthy are having sex about every hour or so.It is not until the last 2
Paraíso Cuatro
Mar 07, 2015 Paraíso Cuatro rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Aún recuerdo que en una clase de filosofía en el instituto hace ya veinte años —¡veinte!—, el profesor nos explicó la diferencia que podía haber entre el lenguaje hablado y el gestual, y cómo se podían transmitir mensajes contradictorios usando cada uno de forma diferente.

Comparativa completa Libro vs Película, por Miguel Jaén para www.paraiso4.com:
HeavyReader
Feb 01, 2009 HeavyReader rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
From this book I learned the word "prophylactic." When was a kid, I got virtually no sex education, neither from my parents nor my school. Whenever I came across a word that had even the vaguest sexual overtones, I would look it up. Thank goodness for the dictionary.

This book was about teenage boys in World War II America. There was some discussion about condoms, but the word used was "prophylactic." I looked it up right away and found out just a tiny bit more about sex and birth control.

Recentl
Cathy DuPont
Sep 12, 2014 Cathy DuPont rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A big thank you to Trevor for reminding me about this one. It was so good.
Mohamed Rashwan
Apr 15, 2011 Mohamed Rashwan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: seeking
In Everyone's Life There is a Summer of '42.....
Unfortunately I Can't Get This Masterpiece But I've Watched The Movie & It Left A Footprint In My Heart,The Music Was So Magical Specially In The Dance Scene.
I Made A Tribute For This Beautiful "Summer Of '42" Which We May All Lived It As Hermie Did...
And Please If Someone Could Help Me With The Book I'd Be Grateful ))
Katherine
Dec 27, 2009 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book back in High School. I also thought the movie was fantastic. This is a book I would like to read again to see how my views have changed since the initial reading in my teens. It is a great coming of age story of a boy and his friends, of their experiences of what perhaps was trying to be a "normal" teenager in the midst of WW2.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
I remember reading this book as a teenager and I was laughing so hard my brother came into my room and asked me what the heck I was doing. What I recall the most was how funny it was and how beautifully the painful journey through adolescence was depicted.
Sally
Quite lovely and funny in parts, but oh so sad! I wish I could have seen the musical though, because the majority of my fondness lies with that more than the book or film. I love the story, and the staged execution just seems so perfect.
Sara
Feb 03, 2009 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite romance novel that I read in highschool and I felt I was doing something wrong by reading the details of their love affair.
Deanna Anderson
Feb 04, 2016 Deanna Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book. I know reviews need to be lengthier than that, but that statement suffices. This is an excellent book. It should be required reading in a college course somewhere (content not fitting for high school or junior high).

It starts off with a man who goes back to an island he used to spend the summers at and I was leery at first as I don't usually like 'reflection' books...I like to be in the moment at the time. However, Raucher does such a good job that I was immediately t
Gaile
Apr 06, 2011 Gaile rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wwii
a young boy falls in love with an older woman. Parts of this book were very funny!!!
Lisa
May 11, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favorites.
Bill Magill
Jan 28, 2016 Bill Magill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book some time back in the 70's. I am writing a review now because I just re-read it. Back then I was not much older than the main character, Hermie. He goes though a summer of "discovery." At this time he is close to being a full adult physically but at 15 years old he has a long way to go mentally with regard to maturity, experience, and so forth. I enjoyed the book immensely back then but I enjoyed it even more this time around because I was viewing it from a more mature perspecti ...more
jimtown
Jan 24, 2015 jimtown rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
It took me a while, but I finally finished reading Summer of '42. It was hard to stay focused on the book during the holiday season but through no fault of the story. This was the most realistic coming of age story I've read. I believe it was autobiographical or a memoir from the author, and very well remembered.
Our three main characters, Hermie, Benjie and Oscy are fifteen and often annoy one another as they bumble their way from boyhood to manhood. They are sweet and likable but often I found
Mike (the Paladin)
My goodness the memories... I read this just after it came out, I was in the beginning of a marriage to my high school "sweet heart", with whom I was torridly in love.

The book about a young man (supposedly at least the writers memoirs) a generation before who "fell in love" with a slightly older woman who is celebrating (apparently) her honeymoon with a young soldier. They are all "at the beach" and WWII is just begun.

Normally a good way to get me to avoid a book is to tag it a "coming of age" s
Weston
Mar 10, 2012 Weston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before I begin, I have to thank Stephen King for writing The Shining, which is also a phenomenal book, and Stanley Kubrick for making a film adaption of it- because if they didn't, I would have never discovered this book.

I found the movie from watching The Shining, and after I watched it about a couple thousand times, I read the book (which I've read four or five times now).

Herman Raucher is my favorite author just because of this book, and I was really touched by it. Even though he made quite a
Susan
Nov 10, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, 2013-reads
When I was a teenager it is obvious that the preacher at my church never read the book “Summer of ’42”. If he had, he would have known not to enter the theater where I was sitting with my boyfriend. I remember as clear as can be, how he got up in the middle and walked out because it was just embarrassing for both of us. None of us had read the book at the time, and we just thought the movie was an innocent story of wartime. The book is like living in the mind of an adolescent boy if you can imag ...more
Paul Sanchez
Oct 20, 2014 Paul Sanchez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a simple story of first time love. very basic but still heartwarming and touching story of youth, love and lust. Nice characters and very open to all types of meanings.
Karen
Feb 04, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this year's and years ago and a book I was reading today reminded me how much I liked it. Funny and poignant. I may have to read it again.
Ian
Read this back in high school because everyone else was reading it. I just remembered that I read it.
Jazzy Lemon
Nov 27, 2013 Jazzy Lemon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the true poignant and touching coming-of-age story of the author, told with humour and expressiveness. Hermie is 15-years-old, his summer on the island with his best friend Oscy and their friend, Benji, is one of discovery and boredom and a time he will never forget. The boys long for the day when they will go to war, whilst they fantasise over the heroines in comic books and go on awkward dates with two girls their own age - but Hermie's thoughts are of the young wife of a serviceman in ...more
Patty Barnard
May 18, 2015 Patty Barnard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Teen angst at its funniest and deepest.
Ann Dunn
Feb 17, 2015 Ann Dunn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
second time reading.....still a great book
Irene
Feb 06, 2016 Irene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wonderful book!
Matt Rowe
Very good book.
Christie
Mar 15, 2012 Christie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came across this book at a second hand shop in my home town. What made me want to get it was mainly
because 42 is my lucky number. (Silly I know to based getting a book because of a number)
This book has become one of my favorites. I keep it on my shelves and read from time to time.
Great story. I was told there was a movie but I'm not quite sure if I would watch it. Consider most movies based off books never turn out anything like the book.

If anyone believes its worth watching let me know.
Is this book only funny to guys? 4 8 Dec 13, 2013 10:06AM
  • The Cheerleader
  • The Fires of Spring
  • M*A*S*H Goes to Maine
  • The Starlite Drive-In: A Novel
  • Casualties of War (Vietnam, #4)
  • The Case of Jennie Brice
  • Seventeen
  • Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture, Vol. 9
  • Serious Girls: A Novel
  • This Time Forever
  • Virgins
141972
Ebooks now available for download. Print-on-demand to follow soon. See author website for links and updates at www.hermanraucher.com

Herman Raucher began his writing career during The Golden Age of Live Television, penning original one hour dramas for such esteemed shows as Studio One, Goodyear Playhouse and The Alcoa Hour. At about the same time, he was serving as Advertising Copy Director for Wal
More about Herman Raucher...