Start by marking “Suddenly a Bride (Across the Stars, #1)” as Want to Read:
Suddenly a Bride (Across the Stars, #1)

Suddenly a Bride (Across the Stars #1)

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,211 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
Rilo An comes from a world where there are no women. What he longs for is a life mate: someone who'll complete him, someone he can love who’ll love him back, someone who’ll ease the aching loneliness that haunts his life. So he leaves his world, takes on the Earth name Chris West, and makes a payment to Star Systems Unlimited for a life mate.

When he bonds with Caitlyn Davi
Published June 21st 2011 by Ruth Ann Nordin's Books

To ask other readers questions about Suddenly a Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suddenly a Bride

Archer's Voice by Mia SheridanOutlander by Diana GabaldonThe Light Within Me by Carly FallCaressed by Ice by Nalini SinghLost & Found by Nicole  Williams
Virgin hero!
15th out of 225 books — 144 voters
Ral's Woman by Laurann DohnerGrim by M.K. EidemClaimed by Evangeline AndersonHunted by Evangeline AndersonBerrr's Vow by Laurann Dohner
Mars Needs Women Trope
166th out of 363 books — 447 voters

More lists with this book...

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡
I wanted to enjoy this and told myself, "That creeped out feeling is just because it's odd sci-fi." But...

I tried. Really, really tried, but it just turned out to be dadgum-messed-up. I couldn't get past the overall message. It's a dangerous form of rape culture that tries to pass off drugging the heroine for sex as romance. (view spoiler)
Judy
Jan 06, 2012 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suddenly a Bride by Ruth Ann Nordin
Across the Stars Book 1
I just love Ruth's books! Her hero's are the sweetest guys and you just fall for them as they try and please the love of their life. In this case our hero is Rilo An from Pandoran, a planet where there were only men left. He goes to Star Systems Unlimited and pays them to choose him a wife from Earth. He wants a woman willing to be his Life Mate and who will want children with him. He knows when he finds her that a special hormone will re
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
I picked this up for a challenge (needed a wedding themed book). I didn't make it that far before I started to see red. Issue number one: "He didn't like the idea that a woman might decide his genetic line didn't suit her." Poor baby, a woman might decide to not have children with you. Boo-hoo! Issue number two: "I know, but I was warned the women on Earth can be emotional. I'm not sure if that's worth it." Now, I realize it was someone else (not Rilo/Chris) that said this, but really?! Issue nu ...more
T00zday
If you're wanting alien/earthling erotica, scratch this off your list.

This is a sweet, fluffy, HEA romance.
The villain in the story is the heroine's overbearing, controlling, judgmental mother. That's as heavy as it gets.
Kay Bolton
Apr 24, 2013 Kay Bolton rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
Okay, I have to be a bit careful here, as I don't want anyone to think that I am slagging off the book or the author, which I most definitely am not.

My first Novel by Ruth Nordin was at first dismissed as awful, but then when I literally had nothing else to read I forced myself, and secretly enjoyed it. There is something endearing about the cheesiness of her novels. At first I thought that was an accident, but as I've read a few more I've decided that it can only be by design.

This here book, wa
Rae Sontheyon
Apr 04, 2015 Rae Sontheyon rated it did not like it
Should Be Titled "Swiftly and Unknowingly Bonded For Life"

Honestly, I wanted to stop reading after the couple's first sex scene, but I persevered through the book to give the author a chance before I passed final judgement. The story had an interesting idea, but there was just a few too many issues I had with the book for me to say I liked it or would ever read the next book.

Rilo An, Pandoran, is shown to be wishing for a female life mate. All females on his home planet are extinct, so he had to
Melody
Aug 11, 2014 Melody rated it liked it
Some Spoilers. Nilo an comes from a planet where women are extinct. So he goes to a universal wish agency to find a mate from a compatible species. Armed with a new name, Chris West , earth money, proper I.D. and a pamphlet about women (he's never seen one) he arrives outside his chosen mate's diner ready to mate almost immediately. The problem is said mate, Caitlyn Davis, has never heard of aliens, doesn't know he is coming, and isn't even looking for a new husband after her first husband died ...more
Shelley Chastagner
Oct 27, 2014 Shelley Chastagner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread
A bit of a sci-fi romance. Rilo (aka Chris) is a nieve alien in search of a wife. Caitlyn is picked by the agency to fill the bill. Unfortunately she comes with a manipulative mother. Poor Chris has to navigate the complexities of American earth culture and the nuances of dealing with an extended family. Packed with lots of funny moments and exasperation. This is another one of my favorites by Ruth Nordin.
Lynelle Clark
Jan 28, 2016 Lynelle Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I simply love Ruth Ann Nordin's story. The simplicity in her writing style and the care she take to build each character has never disappointed me. Once again in this story she out did herself with Chris, The alien from another galaxy who was forced to come to earth in search for a female. To bond and start a family with. His innocence in all that evolved women, relationships and marriage was the high light of the story. His willingness to learn and to bridge the gap was sweet.
The mother in law

When he
Liza
Jan 21, 2014 Liza rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, reread
Reread. Second time around and I still love it! I wanted to make myself familiar with the other characters again since I'll be reading the rest of the series.
I LOVE Chris! He is sooooo cute, so naive and so eandearing. Things he says that makes you go "aawwwww", i.e. "I'll go there because you're there" or "I'll do anything as long as I get to touch you". And yes, he always wants to touch her. And he's working so hard so that she loves him. Getting pictures taken with her was very important to h
Liza
Feb 08, 2016 Liza rated it liked it
Suspension of disbelief. If you're looking for a reason to hate it, over-analyze any aspect of it and you'll likely succeed. As a light, fluffy read, ignoring political possibilities and repercussions (although I admit that some of the outraged reviews on here sound pretty valid, if you inspect them from that point of view), it was enjoyable. A quick read and a different spin on things. At times cheesy and hard to believe, but I pretty much only require my historical novels to work within the li ...more
Davida Camillo
Aug 27, 2012 Davida Camillo rated it liked it
Decent Read for Young Adults

This was my first book by Ruth Ann Nordin. This book was cute and a quick read. I am going to keep reading her books. Some fun issues are raised that people sometimes have to deal with. There is some sex but nothing too steamy but I still would keep it to 17+.
The main characters are Rilo An AKA Chris West, an alien from a planet with only men and Caitlyn Davis, a widowed waitress on Earth. Rilo/Chris decided he wants a life mate and makes a request for an earth woman
Clarke
This type of story is normally right up my alley. Unfortunately not this one although the story was a good idea and characters entertaining.

Chris/Rilo left his planet to find a wife and to have kids. He pays a company to find a wife for him not giving any preference to the type of women he gets. His assigned women works as a waitress and has no idea she's about to become married via sex. Caitlyn goes from still morning her dead husband to meeting a nice customer to being chemically induced to ha
Melissa
Jun 26, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This was my first book by Ruth Nordin, and it probably won’t be my last. This book, although a little drawn out, was well developed, well-built and overall is easy book to enjoy. Her heroes are the sweetest guys and you just fall for them, as they try and please the love of their life. In this case our hero is Rilo An from Pandoran, a planet where there were only men left. He goes to Star Systems Unlimited and pays them to choose him a wife from Earth. He wants a woman willing to be his Life Mat ...more
Sophia
Mar 05, 2013 Sophia rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-romance
This was a story with a gentle plot which made it a refreshing change to tuck in amongst the more weightier dramatic plotted stories that I've been reading lately. Not to say that there is no conflict! There is that, but its resolution happens without an undue amount of angst because the two main characters are unselfish, thoughtful and mature about it when the conflict from without their relationship happens.

Honestly, this one felt more like a contemporary romance with science fiction elements
Kim
Apr 19, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing
Sweet alien romance

Even though the romance is fast and accepting being married to an alien is fast this is still a good, sweet alien romance. Following Chris learn about Earthlings and what makes a relationship and make his wife happy is interesting. The H & H are both likable and even Mark turns out to be a good friend. If your looking for a fantasy story then this is for you. Well worth reading.
Elodie Parkes
Mar 12, 2015 Elodie Parkes rated it really liked it
I read all types of Sci Fi and when I saw this as I was browsing Amazon a week ago I thought, give it a try.
It's a cute story. Loved the alien, Chris West, he's a sweetie and the story is really about him and his hopes for love. Different take on who's getting a broken heart from a broken love affair, but I liked that. An easy read. A sweet story read with some heat in the love scenes.
Tricia
Dec 02, 2014 Tricia rated it really liked it
I read romance for a feel good kind of feeling. This book provided that, the hero was sensitive and decent, what more could a girl ask for. Some readers may want some suspense or mystery not me, straight forward romance and to the point is my cup of tea. Come on which woman would not love a guy she can steer into just accepting and loving her for who she, faults and all.
Tonileg
Jun 26, 2012 Tonileg rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, fantasy, kindle
So Chris West lives on a planet where there are only men, all the women died out more then a hundred years ago so there are only two other worlds where there are women that are compatible to his kind.
Caitlyn Davis is at her waitress job with her best friend and just living a normal boring life. Boom! Chris is assigned Caitlyn as a life-mate. This concept is well explained and it sounds like marriage from the Middle-Ages when there was no divorce. Caitlyn and Chris 'mate' and bond for life and st
Melinda
Dec 29, 2012 Melinda rated it really liked it
Aw, what a sweet book. I think Caitlyn is amazing. She has a good head on her shoulders. Her understanding of situations without the normal hysterics is refreshing.

I found the conflict between mother and daughter similar to what I went through in real life. I had to laugh at a couple of points cause it match my life almost exactly. However, the man I married didn't take any of my mother's antics and quickly knocked her out of the controlling mode. :-)

Chris is really sweet and Mark is a good frie
Emily
Nov 06, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
Chris West arrives to Earth with one goal, to find his life mate Caitlyn Davis. Caitlyn has no clue what has happened, within a span of a few hours she has sex with a man she doesn't know, finds out she is bonded/mated/married to said man, and the icing on the cake is he is from another planet.

Chris's hope is to find a mate he can have children with and build a family, Caitlyn is that woman. Their marriage has a few bumps along the way, but once Chris meets Caitlyn's family it has him questionin
Cat
Jan 22, 2016 Cat rated it really liked it
I wasn't expecting to enjoy this book as much as I did. The whole concept threw me a bit at the beginning but I couldn't help but love Rilo An. Caitlyn is incredibly accepting but the story is funny and if you don't think too much about the Pandoran/Earth oddities then it's a really nice read. Looking forward to BOOK2.
Brutally Honest
Gosh, Chris was SO CUTE. And the whole episode with the crazy MIL really endeared him to me, I almost gave the book a 4 star just for that... But after thinking it over a bit, I realize that other than his struggles to fit in, and his emotional neediness, the rest was... kind of boring.
Jen
Aug 21, 2014 Jen rated it did not like it
Lynelle Clark
Nov 28, 2012 Lynelle Clark rated it it was amazing
The mother in law
Elly Helcl
Apr 11, 2013 Elly Helcl rated it it was amazing
While this book has an other-worldly beginning, it is very much so a book any married person can relate with.

The antagonist of this story is the dreaded mother-in-law...Almost all married couples can relate to that.

The "Hero" is super, super sweet. His name is Chris and all he wants is for Caitlyn to be happy. In fact, when he found out that human males sometimes abuse their women he was shocked. And that is when I fell in love with Chris.

Caitlyn is also an incredibly lovable character who has h
Lost
Jul 03, 2014 Lost rated it liked it
Not the worlds greatest romance book but an okay one. I wanted to love this book but I just couldn't. So I settled for liking it. It kinda moved at warped speed in spots and fizzled in others. But its still worth reading once.
Jennifer Erwin
Feb 27, 2015 Jennifer Erwin rated it liked it
I came across this book because I got intrigued by the sample I read of book 3. Since I knew book 3 would have the same cast of characters for the most part, I decided to just start with book 1. This was a cute fun read.
Brittany
Feb 01, 2014 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, alien
Suddenly a bride was such a cute, fun story. Chris was so clueless and adorable. I loved that the book just makes you smile at some of the dorky things Chris does. I may not want to read books like this all the time but this was a pleasant surprise.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Jul 26, 2015 10:25AM
  • Prime Medic (Katieran Prime, #3)
  • The Gaia Gambit (Gaian Consortium, #3)
  • Taken by the Storm (Ontarian Chronicles, # 1)
  • Love's Captive (Volarn, #1)
  • Warlord's Bounty (Barbarian Claims, #1)
  • Zylan Captive (Zylar's Moons, #1)
  • Captive (Entwined Fates, #1)
  • Heart of Stone
  • Alien Blood (Diaspora Worlds, #2)
  • Conquest: Earth
  • Prime Obsession (The Prime Chronicles, #1)
  • The Princess' Dragon Lord
  • Demon Slave (Shadow Quest, #2)
  • Rebel Heart
  • When Sparks Fly (Spark, #1)
  • Chocolate Kisses
  • Abducting Alice (Warriors of Kelon, #1)
  • The Lion's Woman
What's to say? I write a lot. I read often. I sleep little. Once in awhile, I've been known to clean the house. A number of kids live in my house and there's this guy they call dad and I call husband. All in all, it's a pretty good life. :-)
More about Ruth Ann Nordin...

Across the Stars (3 books)
  • Runaway Bride (Across the Stars, #2)
  • His Abducted Bride (Across the Stars, #3)