Start by marking “Love Struck” as Want to Read:

Love Struck

When Alana gets more or less accidentally entrapped by a selchie she is forced to revise all of her previous rules.
Published July 12th 2011 by HarperCollins

Katie
Jul 13, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing
A really cute faerie-human romance story. Because it's a short story and not a full length novel like the Wicked Lovely series, it seems a little rushed and simplistic, but at the same time it's very sweet and shows that Marr's characters are still thinking outside the "faerie box." Overall a good story and I definitely recommend it as a short read.
Johanna
Mar 30, 2012 Johanna rated it liked it
by Melissa Marr

Genre: Short-Story | Young Adult | Paranormal Romance

Alana knows the legends of selchies, the sea-fey who leave their seal-like pelts behind when they walk on land, passing for humans. But she never imagined she would meet one—let alone two—on the night of an otherwise forgettable beach party.

The selchie Murrin, though, has long imagined actually meeting Alana, the girl he has chosen over the sea. He never expected that the meeting would be so complicated, or that an ol
Kelli
Sep 12, 2012 Kelli rated it liked it
If you haven't read the summary yet, please do so now. It's the shortest summary I've ever seen on Goodreads. It will take a maximum of five seconds and I'll wait for you.

Now, how I feel about Love Struck can be summed up like this: when Kelli got entrapped by the thought of a new book by Melissa Marr, she was forced to be satisfied with an estimated less than twenty pages of new material, coupled with excerpts from the Wicked Lovely books. This reinforced my preconceived notions of not liking
Melly
Short, but endearing and sweet. Melissa Marr has such an incredible ability to enchant readers with her stories and characters. She isn't my favorite author for nothing! I appreciate the strength she allows her female characters to share. Her stories are not only about getting the guy, but about finding and not losing oneself in the process. Bravo Melissa!
Nickey
Jul 12, 2011 Nickey rated it really liked it
Sweet and Romantic, you just have to love Melissa Marr's short stories. I only ever wish they were longer :)
Kaiti
ugh falling in love magic is so gross and it ended on a slightly less creepy note than the first 85% had but ughhhhh no thank you.
Lady Cain
Oct 16, 2016 Lady Cain rated it liked it
Shelves: faeries-and-shit
Sometimes Melissa Marr has the tendency to rewrite Keenan and Aislinn over and over again. And, this story gave me strong Wicked Lovely vibes. I mean: a girl is trapped by a fey-like creature who tries to woo her to the point of obnoxiousness, she's been warned about these creatures in the past by her grandmother, another fey-like creature is trying to convince her not to trust him. Yeahhh. You get the idea.

With that mentioned, I wish this shortie was a little longer so Marr had a chance to dev
Andrew
Nov 21, 2011 Andrew rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Review Taken From The Pewter Wolf

Now, I known of Melissa Marr for a while now. I have been told to read her Wickedly Lovely series. I actually won a copy of Wickedly Lovely &, before that, I bought the old UK hardback copy of Ink Exchange, so the start of this five book series is in my To Read pile. It's just a case of FINDING TIME!!! So, when I was having my Kindle-binge, I rediscovered that this was on my Kindle and, wanting to see if the Wickedly Lovely series was one I should investigate
Shali
This is a very short story, shorter than I thought, given that it had bonus chapters for Wicked Lovely at the end.

Personally, I'm a bit uncomfortable with the idea of a seal falling in love with a human, and changing form. Just think about it for a minute. Same with werewolves. They are animals. Does nobody realize this? Come on, people, it's weird.

That being said, the story is so short that it's hard to form any strong feelings for the characters.

Murrin, the Selkie-turned-human love interest (
Erin
Aug 17, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-authors
Okay, so as a new fan of Melissa Marr I was excited to see that this short I needed to read was written by her! I just finished Carnival of Souls and I was very impressed with her writing style, and Love Struck was just as impressive. Wish it could be a full-length book!!

I imagine it's quite hard to make a far-fetched story line seem realistic even when you have a couple hundred pages to work with, so creating a believable fantasy short must be incredibly challenging. But, despite a plot that i
Mirely
Awwww! What a sweet story!

Love Struck is where Alana meets a Selchie aka Selkie aka Silkie aka a magical being who shifts from Seal to human. The lore has been that Silkies shed their seal skin to kidnap a lover and takes them back to see with them or binds them and live on land together. Either way it never seems like the ideal love situation, you knowing being forced into a love situation. BUT ANYWAY! Alana accidently steps on Murrin's skin and just like that they are magically bound to one a
Dana
May 19, 2012 Dana rated it it was amazing
Okay so you probably think if you've seen any of my other reviews that I like giving 5 stars and honestly I would have a hard time giving anything else to Melissa Marr's work and she doesn't disappoint in this short work Love Struck..

Alana is in highschool has mom who falls in love all the time so her opinion of the feeling isn't high. Shes at a party one night when a out of the world gorgeous man approaches and tries coming in to her she's having none of it and heads the other way after his dir
Nomad
Mar 03, 2012 Nomad rated it really liked it
Shelves: melissa-marr
This one left me really wanting more. Unlike Stopping Time and Old Habits, where I was content to leave it at a small snippet of a moment in time, here I just wanted more of the couple. I fully enjoyed every word of this story and want more. I can only hope that she revisits them in some other book at a later date.

Also, that fact that we dipped into the water fey in this story, pun very much intended, left me happy. It's nice to see an author take a swerve into left field to let us know she can
K.L. Ogden
Mar 31, 2012 K.L. Ogden rated it it was amazing
Oh why did this story need to be so short?? And why did it need to end?? As usual, Melissa created a beautiful world that I wanted to just jump into and be a part of. The story was a very quick read because it draws you in from the first few sentences. I have to admit, I read it when I was supposed to be working.

I loved the characters and the fact that the setting was the ocean just made it even more intriguing. I really enjoyed Alana's quick wit and Murrin was utterly edible. The only thing th
Lettee
Oct 25, 2012 Lettee rated it really liked it
I really liked this story! I have read the Wicked Lovely series and LOVED it so when I saw Love Struck by Melissa Marr, I just knew it had to be good. I was wrong, it was GREAT! The only part I didn't like was how quick it ended. Kind of like Melissa got tired of writing it and decided she had enough and The End. Don't get me wrong, there was closure to the story, it just seemed to stop at the end when it could have gone on a little more to tie up some loose ends.

Regardless, I would highly reco
Estelore
Jan 07, 2013 Estelore rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of dark fantasy
As short pieces go, this is one of my favourites. There is certainly enough here to adapt to a longer piece, but all in all I found this very satisfying. My one complaint is that the female protagonist's desire to remain single and unattached was depicted as a negative quality. Typically this author is all for people having the right to dictate their own lives, so that startled me a bit and put me off the work in my first cursory attempt to read it. I'm glad I went back again to read it a second ...more
Julia G. Darelle
Nov 17, 2011 Julia G. Darelle rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who like silly (well, stupid) and sweet (to the point of cavity inducing sweetness) romance
I was expecting more from Melissa Marr. This is a "ok" love story, but nothing more than that. Sweet (maybe a bit too sweet) but unexciting. I've read fanfiction that was better than this.

Also, the ending where the main character talks about finishing high school threw me off somehow. From all her behavior in the story and from the way her mother was treating her I expected a woman in early 20s, not a high school girl.

Meh. So disappointing. Could've been so much better. *sigh*

Vicki
Dec 28, 2014 Vicki rated it really liked it
I thought this novella was done very well. The first page drew me in when Alana is approached by "Dreadlocks" or otherwise known as "Eye Candy." The setting is a beach party, which brings back lots of memories for me. When he approaches her, there is a real mystery about him and he gives her a warning, even though she doesn't want to look at him. Dreadlocks left her unnerved with her prior peace removed.(To finish tomorrow night...just realized I'm too tired to do this now.)
Jessica
Mar 05, 2012 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook-pdf
It was short, so I don't actually have anything much to say about this.

Except that it was short enough that I feel the story failed.

Yeah, I am not even doing an actual review on this. This is a goodread's exclusive. And for a good reason.
Sarah Insomnia
Feb 25, 2012 Sarah Insomnia rated it liked it
Cute little short story. I have a hard time reviewing short stories because I am so used to reading novels. They always tease me and leave me wanting more. A lot of time I find myself complaining about the lack of character development and plot complexity due to the length of the story not allowing it, but I find that those critiques aren't always fair.

So I'll just say this much; I liked it, wish it had gone a little further, but didn't regret reading it. Marr fans will enjoy it.
Ella Book Butterfly
I love fairies!! that's why I do read books about them, this one is not ordinary and I would say oh-so romantic.. I like how the female protagonist is like Aislinn (from Wicked Lovely) who does not trust easily but, heehees, can't help her attraction to the male protagonist.. I hope it's longer coz, I'm craving for more.. >.<...
Serena
Apr 01, 2016 Serena rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance-mf
Love Is Hell by Melissa Marr

My Rating System:

Giniro
Feb 10, 2013 Giniro rated it it was amazing
meeek. fantastic short story. happy I bought it. short and wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! squeeeeeee. I love that this is a short and adorable. Made me squee with excitement and had me immediately recommending it to my friends and such! :D The characters and everything are so wonderful and adorable that I need to read this again and again.
Manicar
Aug 13, 2011 Manicar rated it it was amazing
melissa marr's stories really are satisfying. no hanging end, no blunt love development, and a confronting conflict.

this book gives and inspiration to those who wants to have everything yet seems to see a wedge of choice that is blocking one from the other. as the story approached the end i thought their would have been no resolve and no compromise, yet somehow it all worked-out.
Kate
Nov 14, 2011 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a short, enjoyable read and i wasnt disappointed. i absolutely love the wicked lovely series by melissa marr and i her writing style is amazing, i had hoped this book would be longer and contain more depth more like the wicked lovely books but it was still a good book.

if your looking for a quick read then try this.
Beth
This was a quick read and it was very sweet. My only gripe was that just as soon as I really started caring about the characters it was over. I think it would have been interesting to read this as a more fleshed out story. I've always been fascinated by the selkie myths and legends. All in all it was enjoyable and I'm glad I took the time to read it.
Courtney James
Sep 17, 2012 Courtney James rated it it was amazing
Loved this novella! Reminded me of a YA version of The Little Mermaid only with the roles reversed. I really identified with Alana's wistfulness and how she'd rather daydream than do "typical" teenage stuff. I definitely recommend this to YA lovers who love stories of the sea.
Betsy
Jun 11, 2012 Betsy rated it liked it
I probably only rated this as a 3 star because it was a short story. It felt like a teaser. I love Melissa Marr's worlds and I could easily see this being fleshed out and becoming more. But until the next book, I'll read whatever I can!
Kate
Jul 16, 2011 Kate rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, e-book
I was so, so disappointed by this. I adore Melissa Marr's books, and this did not live up to the others. Even as a short story, the plot development happened too quickly & was completely unbelievable. I didn't feel any empathy with (or interest in) the characters.
Anna
Aug 15, 2015 Anna rated it it was amazing
Reallyyyy loved this! This definitely could have become a series! Gorgeous cover as well, though is kindle version.
It's shortish and sweet. Really love the atmosphere in this.

(This story is included in Marr's Faery tales and Nightmares)
  • Mark of the Princess (The Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
  • Errant (Killer Unicorns, #0.5)
  • Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)
  • A Tale of Two Mommies
  • For Your Heart (Hill Dweller -- Retellings #1)
  • Four Houses
  • Once Every Never (Never, #1)
  • Pale
  • Awakenings (Kiera's Quest, #1)
  • The Snow Owl
  • The Lost Boy (The Iron Witch, #0.5)
  • A Friend and a Lover
  • Starstruck
  • Feeling Death (The Death Trilogy #1)
  • Elder (Firstborn Trilogy, #3)
  • Haunted Love
  • A Dance with Darkness (Angelfire, #0.5)
  • The Enchanted Truth
5 stars= If I love you, I'll buy you a copy from this list of books. (Pls note, if you are my family or dearest friends, feel free to remind me to do so. I am lousy w remembering birthdays/holidays.)

4 stars= Don't even ask to borrow it. You should prob buy it though.

3= If you borrow it, you better not lose it, mangle it, or keep it too long.

2 or 1 star= I don't use these. If it's not a 3 star or
More about Melissa Marr...