Start by marking “Tattoo Blues” as Want to Read:
Tattoo Blues

Tattoo Blues

3.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  72 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Michael McClelland's debut crime caper, "Oyster Blues," was "an absolute joyride" "(Sun Sentinel, FL)." Now he returns with a one-of-a-kind comic mystery sporting a town full of characters that will really get under your skin.... Runaway rich girl Desiree Dean is "nobody's" condiment. So when she discovers her brand-new Chinese character tattoo actually reads "with hot sau ...more
Published January 25th 2005 by Pocket Books (first published April 27th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tattoo Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tattoo Blues

Patrick Gibson
May 21, 2009 Patrick Gibson rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who don't take it all seriously
Shelves: humorous
Gurus and prophets seem to come in strange packages. Pimlico Phil (of Pimlico Phil’s Pinprick Palace, located on quiet little Cedar Key, Florida) eeks out a modest living as an even more modest tattoo artist—although artist may not be accurate. A few years before he ascended to prophet status, a drunken spring breaker, lost out of Panama Beach wandered into Phil’s and demanded a Chinese caricature. Phil had never done one, didn’t know any, but improvised with an image borrowed from Mamasan’s Chi ...more
H R Koelling
Mar 15, 2011 H R Koelling rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
This was a nice easy read. It took me just a few days to finish. I enjoyed the plot and the characters were well developed and likable. It wasn't a laugh out loud book, but there were a few moments of humor that kept me happy. It wasn't a great book, nor was it a bad book. It was just an enjoyable and easy book with interesting characters and a decent plot. I will read more of his books in the future.

I have no idea why libraries put this in the mystery genre. If there was a mystery to be solved,
Jini
Jun 29, 2008 Jini rated it really liked it
A really delightful find at Ed McKay's. The back cover states that the story is about Desiree, a young woman who discovers that the tattoo she thinks says "golden dragon" in Chinese actually says "with hot sauce." Oops. She then goes to confront the tattoo artist who gave her the tattoo and accidentally burns down his shop. Oh, and did I mention she's dressed in a Godzilla costume? No wonder the sea monster seen leaving the scene of the crime attracts the attention of a "World Weekly News"-type ...more
Elaine Meszaros
‘Nuff said. Or is it??
Glenn
Sep 30, 2009 Glenn rated it liked it
Shelves: humorous-novels
This had some crazy characters and happenings, but I enjoyed McClelland's previous comedic mystery (Oyster Blues) better. If you are a Carl Hiaasen fan, you will probably like Michael McClelland. Both of McClelland's books contain environmental themes, just like Carl Hiaasen injects into his books.
Teena in Toronto
Jul 04, 2012 Teena in Toronto rated it liked it
This book grabbed me right from the start ... I liked the fast funny pace and odd characters. Then it fell apart towards the end, got predictable and wrapped up very quickly.

Still, I'd give the author another chance and will look for other books by him.
grundoon
Sep 26, 2012 grundoon rated it liked it
3.5 Fun, quick romp in the Hiaasen vein - a bit lighter touch, heavier on the eco-preach and redemption. If the vocation "lesbian clam pirate" grabs you, you're probably the type who'd enjoy this.
Bob Merlin
Mar 28, 2011 Bob Merlin added it
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Bob by: My wife
The plot line is thin but the great characterizations make up for it. There's a lot of rollicking funny stuff in the book. I'd read another book by the author, Michael McClelland.
Darleen
Feb 24, 2008 Darleen rated it really liked it
For a book i picked up at Big Lot's for a buck or two, a pretty good read, and makes me laugh when people get tat's without REALLY knowing what the symbol stand's for.
Rene
Dec 05, 2010 Rene rated it it was amazing
A wonderful read. I don't think I can add much to the reviews already posted.
Laura Barrett-Bache
May 29, 2009 Laura Barrett-Bache rated it really liked it
Fun, light reading! Sort of a "Tom Robbins, extra-lite."
Judy
May 28, 2014 Judy rated it liked it
A fun and kicky story, a great poolside read.
Robin
Mar 21, 2013 Robin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
nice cover art.
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Smeddley
Smeddley rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Tim Hoog
Tim Hoog rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Elli
Elli marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Grace-Ellen
Grace-Ellen rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Claire Eden
Claire Eden rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
David Avelar
David Avelar rated it did not like it
Dec 18, 2015
Judy Fields
Judy Fields marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2015
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Sidney
Sidney added it
Oct 05, 2015
Taylor Wallace
Taylor Wallace marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Michael Thompson
Michael Thompson rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2015
Neil Campbell
Neil Campbell rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Janine
Janine marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015