Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3)

Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy #3)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  7,666 ratings  ·  1,136 reviews
Rise up while you can. -Georgia Mason

The year was 2014. The year we cured cancer. The year we cured the common cold. And the year the dead started to walk. The year of the Rising.

The year was 2039. The world didn't end when the zombies came, it just got worse. Georgia and Shaun Mason set out on the biggest story of their generation. They uncovered the biggest conspiracy si...more
Published May 22nd 2012 by Orbit

Can't Wait Books of 2012
117th out of 2,430 books — 15,865 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
23rd out of 1,053 books — 3,382 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
This review is spoiler-free, and safe even for those who haven't read the first two books in the series.

Forget everything you ever assumed about science fiction novels or zombie thrillers: the Newsflesh trilogy defies all expectations. The story that began with a turbulent political campaign in a post-apocalyptic Feed escalates here as the blogger journalists from After the End of Times continue their quest to uncover the truth behind the deadly Kellis-Amberlee virus that has decimated civilizat...more
Kemper
Here’s a book called Blackout that seems hugely popular with critics and the Goodreads crowd, but that I thought had serious flaws despite a cool premise. Now I’ve written a long review going in depth into what irritated me so much. Hmm… I wonder why I’ve got this odd feeling of deja vu?

This is the third book in the Newsflesh trilogy after Feed and Deadline in which Mira Grant* created a future world set about twenty-five years after mutated viruses created zombies. In this future, where dying b...more
karen

more, please.
i don't want it to be over.

review when i stop hyperventilating.

.......................................................................

so, yeah. the only way to review this book is to squee over it like a little girl. because it's the final book in a trilogy - whatever i write here isn't going to make anyone who hasn't read the first two run right out and buy it, because these books build - there is no way to only read the third book and feel like you have made a good decision. and i...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Worry not, my dears, this review is spoiler-free.

There are three things in this world I truly believe in. That the truth will set us free; that lies are the prisons we build for ourselves; and that Shaun loves me. Everything else is just details.
- Georgia Mason

There's not much I can say about the Newsflesh trilogy that I haven't said a million times before, nothing spoiler-free at least, and I refuse to spoil even the smallest detail for any of you. As a result, this will be more of an emotional...more
Ariana
[SAFE TO READ] And so the story ends..

I've never missed some characters the way I miss these guys, and yeah - I already miss them like crazy.

You know what?... If you want to know how this all ends you’ll just have to read the story and find on your own. What you’re reading now is my heart bleeding all over my keyboard, because this is how it feels letting this story go.

Damn you Mira Grant, for making me love your world as much as I do, for making me cry for a fictional story and some freaking...more
Catie
I was over the top excited to read this final installment, but I admit that I was also nervous. I loved Deadline, but I found myself balking a bit at what Alaric would call the “Mad Science.” I have no flipping clue how to review this and remain spoiler free but I am going to try my hardest!

And I guess that means that I can’t even really summarize anything that’s happened in the previous two books. Ummm… there were conspiracies and deaths (oh so many deaths!), high-stakes journalism and heroic b...more
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker
It's up...

She answers our questions.....

The Mira Grant Interview

You know you want to know about Shaun and George. We ask her!

Bonnie
'This is as close as we could get to an ending. The world goes on. Zombies or no zombies, political conspiracy or no political conspiracy, the world goes on.
I think I like it that way.'

Ah, the end is finally here. Blackout: the highly anticipated final book in the Newsflesh trilogy. For those of you that have yet to read this series feel free to continue - no spoilers!

When I first heard about Feed, I dismissed it immediately when 'political intrigue' and 'zombies' were put into the same descript...more
Regina
This was fanflippingtastic! The best in the series. I just finished and I am shaking. I don't think there will be anything this good for me, ever again. This is not a review, lol, I will be back to write a more coherent and better put together thoughts. Mira Grant is a brilliant writer.

I was in love with this book from the beginning. I should say upfront, I liked Feed but not as much as Deadline, which I loved and not as much as Blackout, which is my favorite. For me, Mira really hit her strid...more
Isamlq
This book!

No, seriously, this book…! I’d sworn to take it slow and sure I was keeping to said goal, but once I reached the 20% mark, well there was no looking back for me. I didn’t even bother to hide the fact that I was reading this at work. So picture me thus: nose buried in kindle, more often than not, with palm over mouth to keep from screaming. It was that good.

Details. I can only imagine the research that must have gone into this one. I am very impressed with how she put in all those de...more
TheBookSmugglers
Originally reviewed on The Book Smugglers

**WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS UNAVOIDABLE SPOILERS FOR FEED AND DEADLINE. If you have not read the first two books in the trilogy and want to remain unspoiled, look away! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.**

At the conclusion of Deadline, there have been some rather drastic revelations: Shaun is immune to Kellis-Amberlee, Georgia has been cloned by the CDC (oh, yeah, and the adopted brother and sister have had a longstanding sexual relationship). Blackout opens with...more
Kristalia
Final rating: ★★★★★/★★★★★

“It's the oldest story in the world. Boy loves girl. Boy loses girl. Boy gets girl back thanks to the unethical behavior of megalomaniacal mad scientists who never met a corpse they wouldn't try to resurrect. Anyone coming within a hundred yards of my happy ending had better pray that they're immune to bullets.”

I freaking loved it! IT was just fantastic, amazing and utterly badass! ♥ This trilogy must not be ignored, it MUST BE READ. trust me on this - i gave all th...more
Thomas
4.5 stars.

"Sometimes the hardest thing about the truth is putting down the misassumptions, falsehoods, and half-truths that stand between it and you. Sometimes that's the last thing that anybody wants to do. And sometimes it's the only thing we can do." - Georgia Mason.

When I write book reviews, I usually save my recommendation of the book until the end. But Blackout, and the Newsflesh trilogy itself, should not be put off until the end. Feed, the first book in the series, is a novel that I woul...more
The End. *sigh*

I held on, savored, and remained in Mira Grant’s Blackout as long as I possibly could. Stretched out the love and experience for weeks. But I guess I had to hit the last page eventually. Leaving the book home for the first time the other day, hell—made me feel naked! And left a true ache in my heart.

Blackout is filled with government conspiracies, mad scientists, zombie bits, running, and the ever present battle for the truth. If you have read Feed and Deadline, then I have no do...more
Jammies
Why have I spent every free minute of the last four days reading the same book twice? Because it's a sci-fi / horror / political thriller / love story / action movie novel all rolled into one, and it is intense.

Okay, thing one about this review--spoilers. I'm not going to put them in individual spoiler tags, I'm going to spoil-code everything after thing two and if you keep reading, on your head be it.

Thing two--you need to read these books in order. If you haven't read Feed and Deadline, stop r...more
Kaia
Cripes on a pogo stick, this one ran over into the comments section too! Eep.

Disclaimer: If you love these books and think they have the best world-building and research like, ever, don't read this review. Really, just don't do it. Trust me, it's better if you don't.

(view spoiler)...more
Giselle
I didn't love it "quite" as much as the others but the series as a whole is the mother of amazeballs! I think I found this one a bit long--not boring; NEVER boring--just longer, maybe slower? Or maybe I was just impatient for POV A to meet POV B already! >.< It could be because it was on audio this time, too. Anyways, epic series!

My favorite remains book 2! (Yes, it's important for you to know! :P)

Now I will go cry in a corner because it's over :(
Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else]
I do love the Newsflesh books. The backdrop is a really fascinating pandemic scenario, set after the world has had chance to get over the initial apocalyptic outbreak and make the first attempts to re-establish itself. Life goes on, but so do the zombies. People live alongside the zombies, but they do it in a constant state of fear and paranoia. There's a strong focus on the role of new media and tech which, like the virus backstory itself, is based on solid, credible science. Grant (aka Seanan...more
Lori Redman
This entire review contains spoilers. (view spoiler)...more
Amanda (Good Choice Reading)
I still think Deadline is the most powerful of the series, but this was quite the satisfying end to a series that I will forever force onto anyone who asks for book recommendations.

I don't think I could write a real review without spoilers, or a bunch of annoying fangirling. I have no words for how much I love this series.
Jason
5 Stars

This is an incredible zombie series that is geared for both the young adult and the adult crowd. I loved how relevant it is to todays in your face media and in your face Facebook culture. Mira Grant has taken the uber popular post-apocalyptic genre and laid it down in a way that would be relevant in today’s headlines. The characters and the format of the writing is what make the Newslflesh trilogy stand out among the best of this genre.

I am not going to give any spoilers away, nor am I go...more
Sally
This is not a zombie genre book. It's a magnificent tale, expressed in metaphors, of plenty that's going on in the world right now and that has gone on in the past.

The story telling, accuracy of detail, vibrancy of character and appropriate feel of voice within this entire series are exceptional. Mira Grant/Seanan McGuire is one of the best story tellers of this time with very few peers IMO.

The story progressed and stayed entirely true to the circumstances of its own universe. Characters lived...more
♥Rachel♥
A really good conclusion, but I think the book should have been edited down a bit.
Emily (Book Jems)
As seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!

Months. I wanted for this book for months. I couldn't breathe when the last book ended. Seanan aka Mira Grant has a way of stealing your heart along with your breath with her stories. When I picked up Blackout, I didn't expect for it to live up to my expectations. I heard good things about it, but I didn't know how the author would top off the series.

SHE WENT ABOVE AND BEYOND MY EXPECTATIONS. SHE IS A GODDESS, A WINNER, A WOMAN WHO I LOVE MORE THAN LIFE. Sorry for...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Originally posted on my blog.

*cries buckets of tears because it's over*

Okay, now that that's over, allow me to try, probably somewhat ineffectually to explain how I feel about this book specifically, and the series as a whole. I'm going to start with the series, because I can do that without spoilers. Then I'll warn you part way through that you should stop reading if you don't want spoilers for the other books.

The Newsflesh Trilogy is nothing short of epic. The idea of zombies, some Cracked art...more
Tina
Original post at One More Page

Warning: This may not end up as a review, but a very fan-girly love letter to the trilogy. Also, spoiler free.

So normally I would have written a review for this book as soon as I finished it, but with my record of reviewing books lately, I took my time. In all honesty, I can't remember parts of the book anymore, but I remember that sad feeling I got when I finally arrived at the end of this amazing trilogy.

So three years ago, I stumbled upon Feed by accident, and I...more
Wendy F
I had this big review that I was going to type out. It was going to start with some Bang's and some Moans, and maybe some kooky written sound explosions (KaBOOOOMMM), because that's how this book was. I felt like I was right there with him, fighting the zombies and sticking it to 'The Man'. Except things didn't go as I thought they were going to.

I'm sort of sad.

Here's the thing, my world has been chaos these last few days. My husbands Grandpa died, so it's been viewings and funerals. Then today...more
Lucy
My friend apparently really looooved a line that threatened a romantic murder-suicide. I'm rethinking that friendship.

Anyway, this book is more of the same bullshit from the last book. The main character's importance is overwhelmingly overestimated because the author likes to cuddle her darlings rather than being remotely realistic about what their places in the world building really are. I don't know if I have the energy to write a full review of all the reasons I hated this book, but I'm defin...more
beatricks
Tracy

When I finished reading Deadline I had chest pain. I couldn't write a review because I couldn't think. I really enjoyed this book but not quite as much as the first two books in the series, especially Deadline( it's totally my favorite). There will be spoilers in this review so if you don't want to know what happened don't read this.

Ok this book was action packed, our heroes were on the run the entire time. Characters that you have gotten pretty fond of die. And Georgia comes back. Well she's...more
  • Fludd
  • Boom!
  • As The World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 2
  • Eat Slay Love (Living With the Dead, #3)
  • Bury Me Deep
  • After Dark, My Sweet (Crime Masterworks)
  • Choke Hold (Hard Case Crime, #104)
  • Thunder and Ashes
  • Exit Kingdom (Reapers, #2)
  • Zombie Fallout 5: Alive In A Dead World (Zombie Fallout, #5)
  • Horizon (Aftertime, #3)
  • Apocalypse of the Dead (Dead World, #2)
  • Dust and Decay (Benny Imura, #2)
Born and raised in Northern California, Mira Grant has made a lifelong study of horror movies, horrible viruses, and the inevitable threat of the living dead. In college, she was voted Most Likely to Summon Something Horrible in the Cornfield, and was a founding member of the Horror Movie Sleep-Away Survival Camp, where her record for time survived in the Swamp Cannibals scenario remains unchallen...more
More about Mira Grant...
Feed (Newsflesh Trilogy, #1) Deadline (Newsflesh Trilogy, #2) Parasite (Parasitology, #1) Countdown (Newsflesh Trilogy #0.5) San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3.2)

“Words have power.” 50 likes
“Given a choice between life and death, choose life. Given a choice between right and wrong, choose what's right. And given a choice between a terrible truth and a beautiful lie, choose the truth every time.” 45 likes