Start by marking “America and Vietnam: The Elephant and the Tiger” as Want to Read:
America and Vietnam: The Elephant and the Tiger

America and Vietnam: The Elephant and the Tiger

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A thorough, concise and logical look at the first TV war which cuts through the demagoguery of the time period. An excellent book concerning the war and the travail of both countries, for mature young people. Author: Albert Marrin Reading Level: Grades 9-12 Format: Paperback Publisher: Beautiful Feet Books ISBN: 978-1893103085
Published January 1st 2002 by Beautiful Feet Bks (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about America and Vietnam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about America and Vietnam

Teresa B
I rated this as "did not like," but I am glad I read it.

Several years ago I read this to gain a greater understanding of the Vietnam war. It was a VERY difficult book to read, not because of his writing but because of the content. Marrin clearly shows the motivations and strategies which shaped the conflict, and he shows the horrific consequences with equal clarity.

I recommend this to anyone who doesn't know the story of this awful period in history, but I do so with this WARNING: some of the de
Dawn Roberts
This was an excellent, very readable overview of Vietnamese history and the complete Vietnam conflict. Seems a bit intense for the Veritas 6th grade list, but the length and level of detail is good for middle schoolers.
Ginger
I love books by Albert Marrin. He brings history to life even better than a good piece of historical fiction without the fiction. The early part of my life was filled with scenes from this war on the TV after dinner. My friend's big sister grieved deeply over the loss of her boyfriend~they had graduated high school on a couple months earlier. I sat glued to the set, as President Nixon resigned and the POWs came home. Because I was so young, I didn't understand any of it until reading this book.
Hannah
A very descriptive, imformative book on the Vietnam War! Albert marrin does a great job explaining and telling many events during the Vietnam War. I found this book to be fairly interesting; I really enjoyed quotes and descriptions from neat people like Jeremiah Denton who was a POW. I recommend this book for ages 15+
Abigail Rasmussen
Mom read this book aloud to my sister (14), brother (12) and I (17) when we were were studying Modern History. It has some descriptions of the sadness and horror of war that a different brother of mine was still too sensitive to read or listen to when he was 13 years old.
Gwen Burrow
Some of the most gut-wrenching stuff I've ever read.
Matthew
Great chronicle of this big part in our history.
Ron Silverman
Ron Silverman is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2015
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Aidan Pepper
Aidan Pepper marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Janie
Janie marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Rachael Marie
Rachael Marie marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Albert Marrin is a historian and the author of more than twenty nonfiction books for young people. He has won various awards for his writing, including the 2005 James Madison Book Award and the 2008 National Endowment for Humanities Medal. In 2011, his book Flesh and Blood So Cheap was a National Book Award Finalist. Marrin is the Chairman of the History Department at New York's Yeshiva University ...more
More about Albert Marrin...
Flesh & Blood So Cheap: The Triangle Fire and Its Legacy Oh Rats! The Story of Rats and People Years of Dust Hitler Stalin: Russia's Man of Steel