The Silver Brumby

The Silver Brumby (Silver Brumby Series #1)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  981 ratings  ·  51 reviews
A MODERN CLASSIC ON TAPE Read by Sophie Aldred A silver brumby is special, but he will be hunted by man and horse alike, and must be stronger than both. Thowra, the magnificent silver stallion, is king of the brumbies. But he must defend his herd from the mighty horse, The Brolga, in the most savage of struggles. But that is not the only danger. Thowra needs all his speed...more
Published April 21st 1982 by Hutchinson (first published 1958)

Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
Horse Books/Novels
32nd out of 602 books — 381 voters
Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura HillenbrandThe Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans
Best Horse Books
26th out of 240 books — 207 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
When I was a young girl, any book that featured a horse on the cover would be snapped up - regardless of content. This is how I discovered such gems as My Friend Flicka, Snow Cloud Stallion, and, the best of them, The Silver Brumby by Elyne Mitchell.

It is hard to review a story that was so much a part of my childhood. I read and re-read this book. I plagiarised it shamelessly when I attempted my first stories. I dreamed that I would see Thowra whenever we went out into wild country. To my brothe...more
Anna
Ok, I know I'm making myself unpopular here but it would have probably got more stars if I had been a few decades younger than I am but as it is, I really couldn't get into it. Too much 'nodding wisely', too much human behaviour superimposed on animal protagonists, too many statements about herd dynamics/behaviour that is plainly wrong. All of which I would have been blissfully unaware of at, say, eight but just couldn't push aside at a-few-decades-and-then-some older than eight. Shame, really.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Sadly, I was never one of those girls who fall in love with horses in elementary school. Apparently, my fourth grade teacher was;that year, she read aloud every Marguerite Henry horse book ever written, to my dismay.

I wish Mrs. McKinnis had read aloud The Silver Brumby. I don't know if it would have had the same effect on me at ten as it did when I read it last month at fifty-six, but suddenly I'm in love with horses. At least Australian horses. Thowra eludes capture time and time again and has...more
Brooke
.The Silver Brumby was the first book i ever read that belonged to a series, i first read it when i was a horse crazy 9 year old, and was over the moon when i realized there were more books after this one and i didn't have to say goodbye to all the new friends i had made throghout the story...Elyne is an amazing writer, she draws you into this amazing wild and free world...on bush walks i would find myself studying animal tracks the way Thowra would...Great series to grow up with...i dont think...more
Kelly
The thing I love most about any Elyne Mitchell book, is the way that no matter which of her books it is, I am so drawn into the story, I feel like I am part of it, that it is happening right infront of me. The sounds, smells, movement, emotion, just everything. Is so real when reading her books.
The Silver Brumby was the first of Elyne Mitchell's books I have read, and since reading it, I began a collection of her Silver Brumby series, and it grows bigger continuously.
I always enjoy reading Mitch...more
Mango
I've decided that by commenting on this book, I'm commenting on all the Brumby books, because my passionate and heartfelt reviews for each one would take me too long.
Growing up on a station amongst horses, I've always loved them. Their majesty and grace and intelligence... Everything. But growing up, I also only read books based in America and England, about dressage and show jumping and all that other stuff I can't relate to.
But then one day, in the middle of a summer storm, I was scrounging th...more
Justine
The Silver Brumby books were my absolute favourite when I was a horse-crazy girl in primary school. I started when I was seven and didn't quite have the same appreciation for reading as I do now. Perhaps the word I mean is dedication, or commitment- I used to skip paragraphs, sometimes whole pages, because I got bored (or more likely, didn't get it). My mum got me the first four books and I kept reading them for years onward (and plagiarising them when I wrote stories). At some point, I suppose...more
Susan Ferguson
Just finished rereading this - again! I love this story. I first discovered it in my city library when I was just a kid and would recheck it from time to time to read it again. Finally found a copy as an adult at the Tattered Cover in Denver several years back.
I really enjoy this story of an Australian brumby from his birth to his undisputed reign as king of the Cascade brumbies. Thowra is named for the wind, since he will have to be as swift as the wind to escape men, who will want him for his...more
Jemima Pett
A brumby is an Australian wild horse, and this tale by Elyne Mitchell is the first of a series, which as far as I knew was of just four books, this, The Silver Brumby’s Daughter, Silver Brumbies of the South, and Silver Brumby Kingdom. Looking on the internet now, I see there are more – maybe I should read them!

The Silver Brumby of the title is Thowra, a cream-coloured wild horse in the Australian Snowy Mountains, whose coat turns silver in winter. The first book deals with his birth and growing...more
Hayley
This novel is as good as I remember it being when I was a child. I don't think it's very often you can say that - usually such books are too simple, less complex and not as appealing to a more well-read adult imagination.

The Silver Brumby has a brilliant mix of description and storyline, bringing the Australian mountains alive. Unlike other books i've read that spend a lot of time describing the environment (Jean Auel comes to mind as number one offender), Mitchell describes just the right ammo...more
Exillior
This novel is magical.

I read it as a child, borrowed from a friend. Since then I hadn't seen the novel again, as it's been out of publication for years. I recently picked it up from a bargain bookstore and was pleasantly impressed to see that my positive impression of it wasn't due to my age.

There's something incredibly compelling about Elyne Mitchell's writing. You find yourself engrossed in the story of Thowra before you even realise it. There is no conscious effort to make the reader pictur...more
Stefanie
I love this book. I've watched the animated TV series (petition here Petition for the entire series on DVD) and the live movie but unfortunately never read the book. Then I was at the library a couple of weeks back and decided to browse the children's section as well as the teen section (I'm 21) and found it nestled away and I quickly snapped it up.

I'm just finishing reading it and I must say it is a magnificent book, I love the description of the characters, the description of the land and the...more
Dark-Draco
This is a really sweet little book that I never read as a child. It tells the story of Thowra, a cream coloured brumby born in the outback that is coveted by any man who sees him. Growing up wild and independent, he learns how to survive and hide, leaving no tracks and disappearing into his hidden valley whenever he is threatened. He creates a legend both amongst the men of the bush and the animals that he shares it with. Fighting The Brolga, the stallion that killed his own father, he becomes t...more
Tahlia
4 stars because I liked the ending. The book overall was good too but sometimes seemed to get a bit repetitive.
Emily Becker
My Dad bought this for me when I was a kid, and I loved it. Elyne Mitchell was an AMAZING writer who made you feel a part of the story, even if you were just a kid on a couch and not a majestical Silver Stallion thundering through the beautiful wild Snowy Mountains. May Thowra run wild and free forever :D
Cathy Ellen
Recommended to me by a friend due to my insane obsession with anything equestrian-related. A book I would have adored as a child and one I adore as an adult. Set in Australia there are a few terms and turns of phrase I wasn't sure of but it didn't take anything away from this enchanting story. The map at the beginning adds a visual aid to the descriptions of the Brumby country while the glossary at the back explains some of those obscure Aussie terms.

It has reinspired me to get a move on and wri...more
Olivia Benson
How can you fault the timeless Australian Classic that is The Silver Brumby? I became infatuated with this book when I was in primary school and the love for it is still there. You cannot help but get lost in the vast landscape that Mitchell describes and the incomprehensible characters of the horses themselves. I will definitely be looking for the rest of the collection once more to finish the series.
Hannah
I loved The Silver Brumby; it's one of those books you read as a child that will stay with you forever. Thowra is one of the best heroes of all time, more so because he's a horse. The story of his bravery, courage and desire to run alive and free is exciting and captivating. I'm so glad I own this book, because it's a keeper.
Jessica Mclauchlan
This was the first ever book I read on my own as a child and I still love it today. It is quintessentially Australian With the most magical tale set in the High Country of Australia. Mitchell draws the people in with amazing description and exciting adventures. I look forward to reading this book to my children
Joyce
Nov 06, 2007 Joyce rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: ages 7+
Oooh, I would lose myself in the wild thickets of Australia, tracking the silver hairs caught in the bracken on the trail of the wild brumbies...I suppose I was deep into the horse-loving phase common to so many preteen girls. (Although the word 'brumby' has always seemed kind of dorky.)
Kate Hodson
A little predictable perhaps but I really enjoyed this. Yes, it's not rocket science but a good story with a clear hero and array of villains all who must be defeated. If I was about 10 I would probably fall in love with Thowra - as it is I don't feel so much passion for him.
Aparajita
The entire Silver Brumby series were unforgettable when I read them when I was around 12-14..beautiful and made me fearful of the fate of those feral horses..the descriptions of the landscape were so vivid..want to get hold of them again to re-read..and treasure.
Lauren
May 06, 2010 Lauren rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: kids & adults, horse lovers and anyone who believes in the magic & beauty of nature
Recommended to Lauren by: Elizabeth Reid
This was the first book that captured my imagination. I fisrt read it when I was 12 and I was obsessed with it. It is a magical book that I'd reccomend to kids & adults alike. Even now I re-read it which for me is the true sign of a fantastic book.
Josi
This was a breath of fresh air after "Raven". This is very nicely done, and exciting. I like how rather than confusing you with a whole bunch of horse terminology, or tackily introducing it all, they gradually ease you into it.
Erin
FAVORITE BOOKS AS A CHILD!! I am going back to read these soon...best animal personification I have ever read. These books will pull you into a whole other world...forget vampires and magic, the horses will win! :)
Jan Ruth
Oh the nostalgia of this; there is a whole series of these books about the wild horses of Australia. I loved them as a teenager and I feel sure they influenced my own writings and inspired a life long love of horses.
Jane
Purely for sentimental value, as this is the first book I remember adoring as a 9 year old. Even used to dream I was running the canyons with Thowra. Still own them all and will never part (and I'm now 40!!)
Ceels
I read this book over and over again when I was a kid. Imagine my delight when I found there were more books in the series.

I'd love to read it again now and see if it still holds the same enchantment.
Lara
I really enjoyed revisiting this lovely novel from my younger days, you know - the teenage horsey stage. The Australian bush is very well portrayed, I could almost see Thowra slipping between the snowy gums.
Cheyenne Jade
Very interesting book because you read around a page and your hooked and you just can't put it down.
  • Green Grass of Wyoming (Flicka, #3)
  • For Love of a Horse (Jinny, #1)
  • Playing Beatie Bow
  • Blinky Bill
  • Rocco
  • Seven Little Australians (Woolcots, #1)
  • Hating Alison Ashley
  • The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
  • A Little Bush Maid (Billabong, #1)
  • Flambards (Flambards, #1)
  • The Black Stallion's Filly (The Black Stallion, #8)
  • The Return of the Twelves
  • The Horses in My Life
  • Hey, Dollface
  • Caperucita en Manhattan
  • The Slightly True Story of Cedar B. Hartley, Who Planned to Live an Unusual Life
  • Pagan's Crusade (Pagan Chronicles, #1)
  • The Magic Pudding
Elyne Mitchell is an Australian author best known for her Silver Brumby children's series, which tells the story of brumbies that roamed the Snowy Mountains in the Australian Alps, in particular a pale brumby named Thowra.

In 1988, she was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia for her services to literature, as well as an Honorary Doctorate of Letters from Charts Sturt University in 1993.
More about Elyne Mitchell...
Silver Brumby's Daughter Silver Brumby Kingdom Silver Brumbies of the South Silver Brumby Whirlwind Son of the Whirlwind