Start by marking “The Primal Blueprint 21-Day Total Body Transformation: A Complete, Step-By-Step, Gene Reprogramming Action Plan” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  879 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Primal Blueprint author Mark Sisson presents a fun, easy-to-follow, practical guidebook to help you "get Primal" in only 21 days. First, you'll learn eight Key Concepts that represent the most important day-to-day elements living Primally, then tackle five Action Items that will enable you to literally reprogram your genes toward a long, healthy, and energetic life. The Ac ...more
Published October 18th 2011 by Primal Nutrition (first published October 15th 2011)

Be the first to ask a question about The Primal Blueprint 21-Day Total Body Transformation

Michelle
Apr 08, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
I loved it. Got this book on Friday, and despite a lot going on, finished it today (Monday). Informative, motivating, eye-opening, creative, simple, and easy to integrate into everyday life. What I really appreciate about this book is that it is not long-winded like a lot of Sisson's articles are. It covers a lot, but it covers what is necessary and it repeats when necessary. I do not feel comfortable doing the 21-Day challenge as I do not have my own space yet (can't remove all non-Primal foods ...more
Jen
Oct 31, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing
It completely makes sense that we should be eating the same way our hunter-gatherer ancestors ate. It's not easy to eat primally, because I've never had a weight problem, I'm not used to denying myself anything and I used to eat unthinkingly. Now I am more careful about what I put into my body and I'm no angel when it comes to not eating carbs, BUT now I no longer crave them and when I do have them served to me in a family or friend's house, I don't gorge myself on them like I used to. I honestl ...more
William Winkle
Feb 13, 2012 William Winkle rated it really liked it
Think of this as "The Primal Blueprint for Dummies," and I mean that in a good way. Sisson has added a lot of photos, stripped away much of the explanatory science, and left us with an oversized, visually appealing distillation of his paleo-centric approach to nutrition, exercise, and life. If you only have time for one book to introduce yourself to the topic, make this the book you pick. The content is excellent and effective.
Steven R. McEvoy
A few years back I read The Primal Blueprint. I loved the concept but struggled in implementing the concepts and kept trying off and on. This book put together the finishing touches. It is a synthesis of the material and what makes it amazing is that the day by day process of the challenge is easy to implement. Each day as you progress, you have tasks to perform, and you track and record food, exercise, and lifestyle changes.

Mark Sisson has over 34,000 followers on twitter and even more follow h
Karen
Nov 03, 2012 Karen rated it it was ok
The original book "The Primal Blueprint" is supposed to be the definitive text on the Paleo lifestyle. And it may well be, but this one seemed like a regurgitation of material presented in the original book. Even in this book the writing is dully repititious...so much so that I kept skipping pages. It feels like the author needed to fill a set number of pages to have a viable book. The ending is page after page of blank diary-type lines where one is supposed to keep track of diet and exercise ro ...more
Karen
May 31, 2012 Karen rated it liked it
This book is a good basic introduction to primal eating. I especially like Mark's laidback approach to both eating and exercise. Some other books I've read go into the science behind this way of eating more deeply but this one is easy to understand and get started. He also has a blog with lots of good information, including videos of how to incorporate the fitness recommendations, even for the diehard couch potato.

At the end of the book there is a 21-day "diary" type document with specific thin
Rolando Gill
Jan 13, 2012 Rolando Gill rated it liked it
Great information, I am obviously convinced. I just felt like this turned out to be a successful attempt to get more of my money. Not overjoyed with that. I bought and read the original book and this had less information but delivered just as dryly.
Salam
Jul 28, 2012 Salam rated it it was amazing
A little book that delivers on its sub-title premise… Read it and act on it and you body and health will be transformed
Mary-anne
Dec 05, 2011 Mary-anne rated it really liked it
Excellent book for a newbie to paleo. Mark lays things out very clearly and well.
Alain Burrese
Apr 03, 2015 Alain Burrese rated it really liked it
After reading “The Primal Blueprint: 21 Day Total Body Transformation: A Complete, Step-By-Step, Gene Reprogramming Action Plan” by Mark Sisson I’m not ready to go primal. I don’t necessarily agree with everything in this book, even though it seems to be working for Sisson. However, I’m glad I read it, and I recommend it, because I’m a firm believer in what Jim Rohn used to say. Don’t just read one book on fitness and follow it. Read several viewpoints and find what works best for you.

I like rea
Roslyn Ross
Jan 25, 2013 Roslyn Ross rated it liked it

I recently read The Primal Blueprint 21 Day Total Body Transformation to be familiar with the Primal diet as it is so popular right now. It was exactly what I had heard--a sexy (be a primal BEAST!) repackaging of the Atkins diet but (thank goodness) without the processed food.

Things I liked about this book:

Mark brings raw dairy, natural light and ancient ways of "exercising" to people's attention. He has gotten the message out there about not eating fake food, which is very important.

Things I di
Christina Gonzalez
Feb 03, 2015 Christina Gonzalez rated it really liked it
This book is a great guide for the primal newbie and refresher for someone more familiar. It describes the core concepts simply but effectively, provides action items with realistic variations so anyone can participate, and motivates without intimidating. tThe journal pages in the back are also really useful for seeing your progress through the challenge.
Emma
Jul 13, 2015 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mainstream? No, thank you! I've been much better going against it.
"What are less accepted, and therefore more insidious, as a dietary ‘poison’ are processed grain foods (wheat, rice, corn, pasta, cereal and derivative products, such as bread, crisps, crackers, muffins, pancakes, tortillas, waffles, etc.); cooking grains such as barley, millet, rye and amaranth; and – to a slightly lesser extent – legumes (beans, lentils, peanuts, peas and soy products). These staple ingredients of diets across t
Victoria
Aug 11, 2014 Victoria rated it it was ok
Book just felt like it was lacking. There was some useful information but I had hoped the 21 days would be more defined and food suggestions given. The workbook part had page for each day but the prompts and fill-in-the-blanks were so minimal that they could be summed up by "keep a daily journel."
Becky
Feb 04, 2016 Becky added it
Interesting concept, although I am not sure I want to trust someone who also wants to sell me nutritional supplements! I do like the fitness ideas -seems logical and reasonable. I might give it a try. At least red wine and chocolate are allowed but giving up cracked pepper triscuits is gonna be tough!
Melissa
Aug 27, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-challenge
I'm a bit of a science and nutrition nerd, so I loved reading about the underlying effects of our diet. I didn't necessary follow the challenge, but I've been (pretty much) eating the way he recommends and have been noticing some good changes. My chronic headaches have not made an appearance since I last had a corn product, I no longer have the post-lunch energy crash, and I've been losing weight even though I haven't been great about the fitness side of the Primal Blueprint. I'm excited to expe ...more
Greg
Apr 18, 2016 Greg rated it really liked it
Pretty good overview of the original book. This I believe is intended for folks who need to have someone give them a daily step by step plan.
Brandon Cannon
Feb 11, 2016 Brandon Cannon rated it it was amazing
Makes Paleo seem possible. Really like it.
Monica
May 16, 2012 Monica rated it it was ok
Shelves: health
If you're looking into this type of health plan and you like to keep track of your progress by writing down your goals - then this is the book for you.

I was looking for more meal plans .. and a bit more in-depth look at how this type of eating plan can supports health in a more scientific manner.

The web site ( google Mark's Daily Apple )is quite good though. I may pick up the cook book as well. I just can't recommend this particular book if you're into nutrition and knowledgeable in the subject.
Angela
Nov 22, 2012 Angela rated it liked it
A great start to eating a low carb diet. I'm not 100% convinced that paleo eating is scientifically based, but it seems to be a generally healthy way to eat, if you don't go overboard on the meat. As a long distance runner, adjusting to lower carb intake is tough, and if you run marathons you'll probably have to eat more carbs than he proposes. All in all, I enjoyed the book, and it was a good reminder to eat mostly unprocessed foods and more vegetables.
Shana Simmons
Apr 23, 2012 Shana Simmons rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, it made me look at food in a different way. It's kind of disturbing to think of all the processed food that we eat and what it does to our body. I don't know if I could stick with this lifestyle 24/7 but I think the main message of the book is to eat whole foods as much as possible, exercise to your comfort level, and reconnect with the nature and people :). Overall an interesting take on the human body.
Jason Lilly
Dec 16, 2012 Jason Lilly rated it really liked it
Some useful tips in this book, but much of which is available if you follow Mark's blog and mailing list. I was most inspired by the sections that focused on more than just the primal diet/exercise and mentioned overall lifestyle changes, such as getting more sleep, living more simply, etc.

It is a quick, simple read that will encourage you to make some positive changes, especially if you are interested in the Paleo/Primal lifestyle.
Bonita
Jan 13, 2014 Bonita rated it liked it
I like the way this book is set up. I chose to do the 21 day challenge in January which was a big mistake. There are a lot of outdoor activities and activities that are not easily worked into my schedule right now. I find some of the activities almost have to be forced when the idea (I think) of the primal lifestyle is to fit activities in naturally. I own the book so I can dig it out some other time to work on.
Librarysteph
Jan 24, 2013 Librarysteph rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people interested in low carb, people interested in weight loss, beginners of the paleo diet
This confirms that the changes I'm making in my diet and exercise are the right way to go. I've already taken most of the steps it discusses because of doctor recommendations, reading Why We Get Fat and doing online research about Paleo. This book makes things easy to understand and makes me confident I can get fit. I learned a few new things and will be cutting a couple more items out of my meal plan.
Jul 10, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone looking to begin a primal diet
A good book for someone trying to eat primal for the first time. It's very easy to understand and follow.
Reba
Oct 06, 2012 Reba rated it really liked it
This was a pretty easy challenge to do. The food wasn't so much the challenge for me as the exercise was, but at the end of it, I'd lost quite a bit of stored fat, gained some muscle definition and strength. I'd recommend it to anyone who is looking to get healthy, and not just the 21 days, but make it a complete life style change. After all, it's just food.
Jim
Nov 21, 2013 Jim rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I didn't read it for understanding of why paleo diet works. I've already read enough and believe the logic behind it. I picked it up more for the action plan. And that it did a decent job. Thought it could of had a few more recipes to get going. Quick read and I'll probably hold on to for a few more weeks instead of returning it immediately to the library.
May 08, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
This book covers a lot of the basics about nutrition that I've heard in other places (i.e. my nutrition class). It's good to see the same goals repeated here. I think this book simplifies some information, so it'd be good for someone who is brand new to the idea of "clean eating". Read it, you'll learn something new.
Alex
Oct 18, 2013 Alex rated it it was ok
Read the first 15% of the book (My Reader doesn't deliver page count) and cancelled doing this thing. Too much emphasis on what not to do in the beginning of the book and I'm not enthusiatic enough to read it further.

I wanted to give it only 1 Star actually but it gets a bonus for my lack of enthusiasm ;)
Marliss
Sep 09, 2012 Marliss rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
Mark Sisson lays out the most commonsense, easy plan of how to look better, feel better, and perform better, all while enjoying life to the maximum. He is right on-target with what is wrong with the Standard American Diet. I also appreciate the fact he is not selling anything. Skip all the silly evolution stuff.
  • Make it Paleo: Over 200 Grain Free Recipes For Any Occasion
  • Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life
  • The Paleo Slow Cooker: Healthy, Gluten-free Meals the Easy Way
  • The Paleo Answer: 7 Days to Lose Weight, Feel Great, Stay Young
  • Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking for a Gluten-Free Kitchen
  • Perfect Health Diet: Regain Health and Lose Weight by Eating the Way You Were Meant to Eat
  • Primal Cravings: Your Favorite Foods Made Paleo
  • Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill
  • Everyday Paleo
  • The Great Cholesterol Con: The Truth About What Really Causes Heart Disease and How to Avoid It
  • Your Personal Paleo Code: The 3-Step Plan to Lose Weight, Reverse Disease, and Stay Fit and Healthy for Life
  • The Smarter Science of Slim: What the Actual Experts Have Proven about Weight Loss, Health, and Fitness
  • Digestive Wellness: How to Strengthen the Immune System and Prevent Disease Through Healthy Digestion
  • The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet
  • Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats
  • Protein Power: The High-Protein/Low-Carbohydrate Way to Lose Weight, Feel Fit, and Boost Your Health--in Just Weeks!
  • The Ancestral Table: Traditional Recipes for a Paleo Lifestyle
  • The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook: An Allergen-Free Approach To Managing Chronic Illness

“On the other hand, when you mismanage your genes with poor dietary habits or chronic exercise patterns, you will likely suffer from obesity (through the chronic overproduction of insulin), fatigue (poor sleep habits disturbing optimal hormone balance), and systemic inflammation and burnout (chronic production of “fight or flight” hormones in the face of unrelenting environmental stressors).” 1 likes
“Another class of fats that warrant concern are polyunsaturated fatty acids, also known as PUFAs. Excessive intake of PUFAs, (found in industrial oils such as canola, corn, safflower, and soybean; margarine and buttery sprays and spreads; and assorted baked, frozen, packaged and processed foods) can also compromise health. These fats also oxidize easily and may contribute to systemic inflammation, as the immune system tries to deal with the oxidation. They may be a major factor in arterial oxidation and inflammation. Your endocrine system is especially sensitive to PUFA consumption, which can lead to symptoms such as a slowed metabolism, low energy levels, and sluggish thyroid function.” 0 likes