Dr. Hugh Mann (Zombie Fallout, #3.5)

Dr. Hugh Mann (Zombie Fallout #3.5)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,110 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Before there were zombies there was the virus.....
Published (first published June 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dr. Hugh Mann, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dr. Hugh Mann

World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoZombie Fallout 2 by Mark TufoZombie Fallout 3 by Mark TufoZombie Fallout 4 by Mark Tufo
Best Zombie Books
34th out of 935 books — 2,202 voters
Odium Origins. A Dead Saga novella. Part One. by Claire C. RileyOdium by Claire C. RileyOdium II. The Dead Saga by Claire C. RileyIn Harm's Way by Shawn ChesserA Pound of Flesh by Shawn Chesser
Summer of Zombie 2014
67th out of 151 books — 54 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael Flanagan
This short story nestles itself between book 3 and 4 of the Zombie Fallout series and is a prequel to the series. As a reader I find that prequels can be fraught with risk and I often find myself asking questions like:

Is this just a grab for some cash?
If it is so important to the story the why not include it in the first book?
Will it add any value to the story and series?
Is this a result of lazy story development?

What I got in this prequel was a valued pack story that not only added to the ser...more
Vix
am a massive fan of Mark Tufo so maybe a little bias in my review.... but this little novella in the story line is a wonderful little rounding out of certain characters...
a great new twist in how Zombies are caused.....very clever really!
really felt for all the characters as was charmed to read about the lovely Tommy
always with humour... another great part of the magnificent ZF world
Andrew
Read this after finishing Zombie Fallout 7. I think I appreciated it a little more then I would have if I had read it earlier. There were some spoilers for later books in the series.
This book was more serious and dealt with information leading to the start of the zombie fallout. I missed the familiar characters and humor from the series, but still appreciated everything a learned as a fan.
If you love the series, I would suggest reading it for the little tid bits of information it will have for y...more
Cheryl
Dr. Hugh Mann by Mark Tufo is a prequel to the The Zombie Fallout Series. If you have not yet read any books in this excellent series yet, I highly recommend that you start with Zombie Fallout, book 1, and do not read the prequel Dr. Hugh Mann until after the third book. It makes perfect sense then, but is a different story and style from the rest of the books. Zombie Fallout (book 1) sets the stage and is a better starting point.

The series thus far consists of Dr. Hugh Mann (this book, a prequ...more
Gadget Girl
This is a short story in this Zombie Fallout novel series and it will fill in the blanks of how it all started; and for the best flow of the series needs to be read after book #3.

A refreshing and original change to how all things zombie began, its set years before it all started and was so good I read it twice to make sure I got everything; as its a brilliant base to the whole series.

Its a fascinating insight and yet another great set of characters to add to this zombie masterpiece series. We l...more
Dashiel
3.5 Stars

Won from a Goodreads giveaway.

Having not read the other Zombie Fallout books, I decided to read the prequel first. The few parts that were unexplained in this book I assume to be explained in the other books, but otherwise I could read this book without any difficulty. This book was short enough to read in one sitting, and was interesting enough to do so. I would probably recommend this book for somebody who already has read the previous books, considering there are certain things that...more
Linda
*** An excellent addition to an excellent Series ***
It's almost as if Mark gave us a present in releasing Dr. Hugh Mann. He must have known we were 'jonesing' for his writing. Thank you Mark! Although it's a prequel, if you're new to the series, read this AFTER book 3.

This is from someone else's review of the ZF series, but I couldn't say it any better and thoroughly agree:
Cumulatively, they are an epic apocalyptic tale, which reminded me of Steven King's The Stand and Robert McCammon's Swan S...more
Shawn
Another good read by Mark Tufo. Don't let this book fool you. All events happen before the first novel of the series. So really you can read this at any point. If you love the Zombie Fallout books, this is a must, explaining everything as to how the zombie fallout started. Just great.
Flavia
I loved this little story! I feel like it has helped me understand what was going on in more detail. The little extras underneath the story. A tie in. In my opinion the zombie fallout series should be read in order, and this one is not to be missed.
Amanda Felix
Well now we know what really started the ZF and how Michael Talbot gets involved. Dr. Hugh Mann is as arrogant and egotistical as a genius could be. However even his maniacal ego is brought down by his discovery. At first he is elated and wants to share the news then he realizes the mistake he has made when trying to confide in a fellow scientest. Every thing spirals down really fast after that. If you are a fan of the ZF series, you will enjoy this and it will give the reader a pleasant surpris...more
Susu
Wonderful story of the true origin of the zombie fallout. My reaction to this novella was like a slap to a hysterical person. At first I was like, 'Wait! Where is Mike, Tommy, Alex, Paul?' I even thought to myself 'Maybe I'll just skip the story and go right to the next book and come back to it.' Again my OCD comes into play preventing me from reading out of order.
By the end of the book my thinking is more along the lines of 'Wow, I needed that'.
Very interesting if not scarily realistic possibil...more
Thia
I love the rest of this series but I would skip this one. It didn't have much to do with the rest except it was the ancestors of the main character - 1918 or so I think. Meh...
Mark TufoZombie Fallout 3.5: Dr. Hugh Mann

This was a sideways step from the Zombie Fallout Series a Prequel, it is the book I liked the least only because I missed the characters from the main series. This book explains how the horrors and evils in the main series came to be, therefore it has to be read as part of the set, it is only a short book and can be finished in a couple of hours. If you like the Zombie Fallout series then this is still a "must read".
Eric
Although this is book 3.5 in a 4 book series,I went a little out of order and read this one first. I had heard it was the prequel and thought it would be a good place to start. a very interesting twist on where the concept of zombies come from. The authors ability to take a character such as the "doctor", and despite his shortcomings as a father and a member of society, make you understand his personality so he becomes likable is a talented skill he seems to use with ease. Even with characters t...more
Nicky Barnes
I can't comment on just one book in a series.
To me it is one big story and this series is amazing! Love all your books Mr Tufo.
Megan Cowman
It was a short read, but it helped fill in some blanks along the way when you're reading the Zombie Fallout series!
Joseph Barnes
This series reminded me of a combination of other books. This particular book is very short and is a prequel to the Zombie Fallout Series. If you liked "The Path" "The Stand" "Swan Song" and "Autumn" you will enjoy this series.
The prequel was a little far fetched but then again the books I mentioned early were also. With the exception of Autumn. The other books had a supernatural twist to the stories. Of course Autumn does not.
I read the first book in the series and then this one which whould a...more
wesley
More of an necessary evil then a good book, but it's short and you get allot of backstory
Sara
I accidentally read this out of order. I read the 4th book in the Fallout Series before I realized this is sort of the 3-and-a-half book. It didn't really hurt that I read this after the 4th book, though. I don't think I can add anything more than other reviewers have stated. I'm a fan of Mark Tufo's Fallout Series, so I recommend this and every other Fallout book.
Caridad cruz
i enjoyed the book because i knew that it had to do with how zombie fallout all started. i can better understand the zombie fallout book now. i was a little confused with 2 parts, one was the little boy tom who came bearing pastries,who hasn't aged a day old in over 10 years and has some kind of mystical powers, and his sister is a vampire, i am like what? really???? the other is the container that the thieves stole was the virus, and next to that, there was a vampirism container??????? i guess...more
T.D.
I enjoyed this book for the background information it gave but didn't enjoy this book as I have the others in the series. It is a very different book. It is by no means a bad book, just not what I was expecting ( when reading a series I don't tend to read the blurb beyond what order to read books in). Anyway, I liked this book, the characters were strong, the story interesting, the background intriguing but I wasn't blown away or transported like I am when reading the others in the series. It is...more
Stoxy001
not sure this warranted another book in the series. I understand the point of telling the story of 'how it all began', but why not stick this in the back of number 3 or the beginning of number 4?
totally different in style to the first 3 books, but nice and easy to read.
i've rated it 3 stars, much in line with how i've rated the first 3 books of the series.
even though i'm enjoying the zombie fallout books, i'm still hoping it gets better in the next book cos it's too late to turn back now.
Rose
I absolutely LOVE the Zombie Fallout series. If you love zombie stories you will need to read this series. If you like stories that bring the characters to life to the point you miss them,you need to read this series. This prequel was a wonderful treat. I got to meet the family tree and see Tommy for awhile. Waiting impatiently for Zombie Fallout 4.
Craig
Dr. Hugh Mann is a good prequel story to the Zombie Fallout series. It put further connections into the storyline. In a way, I wish he hadn't gone the Illuminati route though. Plus, I thought it could have been a bit longer and more developed.

One notion...does this show a possible origin for Mike Talbot's germaphobic nature?
Sigurður
The first half of this book made very little sense to me, from a science point of view. It was enjoyable enough and it was cool to get some background info on what happened. But I think the story is getting a little ahead of itself. Don't get me wrong I enjoy it a lot. But I get a strong feeling it is just being made up on the go.
Brian Martinez
This book is not the most entertaining, but it is a necessity. It will fill you in on the virus. And it is a very short book.
Theodore
This was a break in the storyline from before, in the same vein and world of course but in a different time. This one happens years before the first three and tells you what happened to bring about the inevitable Zombie invasion. I find this title necessary actually if you want to truly understand the entire series.
Drew
Nice addition to the Zombie Fallout Series. It fills in a bit of the back story of how the Zombies came to be. Make sure you don’t read this before book 3, or else it won’t make a lot of sense. I rated it 3 stars on this book alone, but if you’ve read the series then I would definitely recommend this book.
Hakan
A somewhat interesting origins story. Four stars if read on its own as a short story, maybe five if you are a dyed-in-the-wool fan of the Zombie Fallout series. I would have loved a bit more back story though. Maybe the books I still have to read (four to six) might provide deeper insights.
Tom Boshell
This was better (I read it out of sequence...after the 5th). Really quick read but does answer some question on how it evolved--tying it in with the flu and other items that conspiracy people get their kicks about.

This should definitely be read to complete the series view.
  • White Flag of The Dead
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 502
  • Survivors
  • As the World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 1
  • LZR-1143: Evolution (LZR-1143, #2)
  • The Dishonored Dead: A Zombie Novel
  • Flesh Eaters (Dead World, #3)
  • Kings of the Dead
  • Day by Day Armageddon: Shattered Hourglass (Day by Day Armageddon,#3)
  • Deadlocked
  • Dead Drunk: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse. One Beer at a Time
  • 900 Miles: A Zombie Novel
  • Mogadishu of the Dead (Arisen, #2)
  • Autumn: Disintegration (Autumn, #4)
  • The Mammoth Book of Zombies
  • Z1n1: The Zombie Pandemic: 2012 Was Just the Beginning
  • Dog Days
Zombie Fallout (Zombie Fallout, #1) Zombie Fallout 2: A Plague Upon Your Family (Zombie Fallout, #2) Zombie Fallout 3: The End (Zombie Fallout, #3) Zombie Fallout 4: The End Has Come and Gone (Zombie Fallout, #4) Zombie Fallout 5: Alive In A Dead World (Zombie Fallout, #5)