Start by marking “Dr. Hugh Mann (Zombie Fallout, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Dr. Hugh Mann (Zombie Fallout, #3.5)

Dr. Hugh Mann (Zombie Fallout #3.5)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,629 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
Before there were zombies there was the virus.....
Published (first published June 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dr. Hugh Mann, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dr. Hugh Mann

World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoA Plague Upon Your Family by Mark TufoThe End by Mark TufoFeed by Mira Grant
Best Zombie Books
36th out of 1,034 books — 2,540 voters
Odium by Claire C. RileyOdium Origins. A Dead Saga novella. Part One by Claire C. RileyOdium II by Claire C. RileyIn Harm's Way by Shawn ChesserAllegiance by Shawn Chesser
Summer of Zombie 2014
67th out of 158 books — 60 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael Flanagan
This short story nestles itself between book 3 and 4 of the Zombie Fallout series and is a prequel to the series. As a reader I find that prequels can be fraught with risk and I often find myself asking questions like:

Is this just a grab for some cash?
If it is so important to the story the why not include it in the first book?
Will it add any value to the story and series?
Is this a result of lazy story development?

What I got in this prequel was a valued pack story that not only added to the ser
Vix
Jan 24, 2012 Vix rated it it was amazing
am a massive fan of Mark Tufo so maybe a little bias in my review.... but this little novella in the story line is a wonderful little rounding out of certain characters...
a great new twist in how Zombies are caused.....very clever really!
really felt for all the characters as was charmed to read about the lovely Tommy
always with humour... another great part of the magnificent ZF world
Rusty
Sep 05, 2014 Rusty rated it did not like it
I enjoyed having some history explained, BUT there were things in this that had me rolling my eyes.
Ashley
Jul 14, 2015 Ashley rated it it was ok
Shelves: zombies
This story was ridiculous. I had a feeling it would be because it seemed as if it would have to take a more serious, historical feel, and I was right. I enjoy the other Zombie Fallout books because they are humorous, and even though they are ridiculous as well (Eliza? Like, seriously, come on), they are still fun.
This was just... Bad. It was bad. I guess it was kind of needed to clear up some story points mentioned in the first three books, but I somewhat think I would have been just fine skippi
TheForgottenMeaning
A gripping novella that describes how the dreaded zombie apocalypse came to be. Sr. Hugh Mann, a scientist back in the early 1900s was a man with a young daughter Marissa who be barely paid mind to. Marrying Jonathon Talbot a month prior, her father leaves a suitcase with them, them being unknown to the secrets kept within. Tommy, or Tomas faked selling pastries to gain access to their home in order to steal the suitcase and hide it for close to a decade. It wasn't until twelve years later, when ...more
Andrew
Jan 29, 2014 Andrew rated it liked it
Shelves: read-zombie
Read this after finishing Zombie Fallout 7. I think I appreciated it a little more then I would have if I had read it earlier. There were some spoilers for later books in the series.
This book was more serious and dealt with information leading to the start of the zombie fallout. I missed the familiar characters and humor from the series, but still appreciated everything a learned as a fan.
If you love the series, I would suggest reading it for the little tid bits of information it will have for y
Dashiel
Jul 12, 2012 Dashiel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

Won from a Goodreads giveaway.

Having not read the other Zombie Fallout books, I decided to read the prequel first. The few parts that were unexplained in this book I assume to be explained in the other books, but otherwise I could read this book without any difficulty. This book was short enough to read in one sitting, and was interesting enough to do so. I would probably recommend this book for somebody who already has read the previous books, considering there are certain things that
Melinda Lopez
This book was a little harder for me to follow along to but I don't regret buying it. I listened to it on audiobook rather than reading because I love Sean Runnette's work. He is a great narrator. It does give you a look into how the zombie apocalypse started but if you didn't read/listen to this one I don't think you would be lost or out of the loop. It's a book you can take or leave but either way it's entertaining.
Brigette
Jan 12, 2016 Brigette rated it it was ok
I love this series, I really do, but this novella drove me nuts. The historical inaccuracies in the first half were so irritating (zombie books did not become published in the US until 1929, at the earliest, just as one example.) I am interested in where I think the series may be heading based on some of the clues, so I'm not sorry I listened to it, but I wouldn't do it again.
Linda
Sep 05, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing
*** An excellent addition to an excellent Series ***
It's almost as if Mark gave us a present in releasing Dr. Hugh Mann. He must have known we were 'jonesing' for his writing. Thank you Mark! Although it's a prequel, if you're new to the series, read this AFTER book 3.

This is from someone else's review of the ZF series, but I couldn't say it any better and thoroughly agree:
Cumulatively, they are an epic apocalyptic tale, which reminded me of Steven King's The Stand and Robert McCammon's Swan S
Julie Stack
Feb 23, 2015 Julie Stack rated it it was amazing
Mark Tufo Delivers Again

Another great book from a great author. A must read if you are a Zombie Fallout reader. If you like books on the Zombie Apocalypse and haven't read this series then I highly recommend that you do but don't start with this one....lol..start with Volume I, of course. You will love it
Shawn
Apr 26, 2014 Shawn rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Another good read by Mark Tufo. Don't let this book fool you. All events happen before the first novel of the series. So really you can read this at any point. If you love the Zombie Fallout books, this is a must, explaining everything as to how the zombie fallout started. Just great.
Michael Hyatt
Feb 14, 2015 Michael Hyatt rated it really liked it
cool but if "history"

This is not a Michael Talbot story, more of a prequel. As many others state, it is not required reading for the ZU series, but it is a nice change of pace. I don't think there was one rant about any disgusting germaphobe nightmare.
Rinny Rainwind
Aug 31, 2014 Rinny Rainwind rated it it was amazing
Book 3.5 in the series. Well, this is a prequel and short. It tells us where the virus came from and why it wasn't destroyed. We get to meet a different version of one of the main characters. And of course the military plays a major roll in world collapse.
Flavia
Apr 09, 2014 Flavia rated it it was amazing
I loved this little story! I feel like it has helped me understand what was going on in more detail. The little extras underneath the story. A tie in. In my opinion the zombie fallout series should be read in order, and this one is not to be missed.
Amanda Felix
Mar 16, 2013 Amanda Felix rated it really liked it
Well now we know what really started the ZF and how Michael Talbot gets involved. Dr. Hugh Mann is as arrogant and egotistical as a genius could be. However even his maniacal ego is brought down by his discovery. At first he is elated and wants to share the news then he realizes the mistake he has made when trying to confide in a fellow scientest. Every thing spirals down really fast after that. If you are a fan of the ZF series, you will enjoy this and it will give the reader a pleasant surpris ...more
Susu
May 02, 2013 Susu rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story of the true origin of the zombie fallout. My reaction to this novella was like a slap to a hysterical person. At first I was like, 'Wait! Where is Mike, Tommy, Alex, Paul?' I even thought to myself 'Maybe I'll just skip the story and go right to the next book and come back to it.' Again my OCD comes into play preventing me from reading out of order.
By the end of the book my thinking is more along the lines of 'Wow, I needed that'.
Very interesting if not scarily realistic possibil
tom
Oct 02, 2015 tom rated it it was amazing
Excellent books very long series keeps you going

Awesome series very interesting. Over 2000 pages in the
In the series. Definitely a must read book for zombie fans
Gadget Girl
Nov 16, 2014 Gadget Girl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short story in this Zombie Fallout novel series and it will fill in the blanks of how it all started; and for the best flow of the series needs to be read after book #3.

A refreshing and original change to how all things zombie began, its set years before it all started and was so good I read it twice to make sure I got everything; as its a brilliant base to the whole series.

Its a fascinating insight and yet another great set of characters to add to this zombie masterpiece series. We l
Thia
Apr 24, 2014 Thia rated it it was ok
I love the rest of this series but I would skip this one. It didn't have much to do with the rest except it was the ancestors of the main character - 1918 or so I think. Meh...
Jan 29, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
Mark TufoZombie Fallout 3.5: Dr. Hugh Mann

This was a sideways step from the Zombie Fallout Series a Prequel, it is the book I liked the least only because I missed the characters from the main series. This book explains how the horrors and evils in the main series came to be, therefore it has to be read as part of the set, it is only a short book and can be finished in a couple of hours. If you like the Zombie Fallout series then this is still a "must read".
Eric
Jul 26, 2012 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this is book 3.5 in a 4 book series,I went a little out of order and read this one first. I had heard it was the prequel and thought it would be a good place to start. a very interesting twist on where the concept of zombies come from. The authors ability to take a character such as the "doctor", and despite his shortcomings as a father and a member of society, make you understand his personality so he becomes likable is a talented skill he seems to use with ease. Even with characters t ...more
william w.statler
Dec 25, 2014 william w.statler rated it really liked it
Back story

I only gave this book 4 stars because it just was not as humorous as the others. Important information about the way back history of important characters. Still a good read.
Nicky Barnes
Aug 09, 2014 Nicky Barnes rated it it was amazing
I can't comment on just one book in a series.
To me it is one big story and this series is amazing! Love all your books Mr Tufo.
Megan Cowman
May 13, 2014 Megan Cowman rated it it was ok
It was a short read, but it helped fill in some blanks along the way when you're reading the Zombie Fallout series!
Joseph Barnes
Feb 19, 2013 Joseph Barnes rated it really liked it
This series reminded me of a combination of other books. This particular book is very short and is a prequel to the Zombie Fallout Series. If you liked "The Path" "The Stand" "Swan Song" and "Autumn" you will enjoy this series.
The prequel was a little far fetched but then again the books I mentioned early were also. With the exception of Autumn. The other books had a supernatural twist to the stories. Of course Autumn does not.
I read the first book in the series and then this one which whould a
Sheila
Dec 27, 2015 Sheila rated it liked it
My least favorite in the series, it answered some questions and gave you a deeper understanding.
wesley
Apr 17, 2014 wesley rated it it was ok
More of an necessary evil then a good book, but it's short and you get allot of backstory
Sara
Mar 15, 2014 Sara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: za-pa-books
I accidentally read this out of order. I read the 4th book in the Fallout Series before I realized this is sort of the 3-and-a-half book. It didn't really hurt that I read this after the 4th book, though. I don't think I can add anything more than other reviewers have stated. I'm a fan of Mark Tufo's Fallout Series, so I recommend this and every other Fallout book.
  • White Flag of The Dead (White Flag of the Dead, #1)
  • Necrophobia (Zombie Apocalypse #1)
  • Survivors
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 502
  • LZR-1143: Evolution (LZR-1143, #2)
  • Land of the Dead
  • Dead Drunk: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse. One Beer at a Time
  • Flesh Eaters (Dead World, #3)
  • Deadlocked (Deadlocked, #1)
  • New Zed Order: Survive
  • Shattered Hourglass (Day by Day Armageddon,#3)
  • Zombies: The Recent Dead
  • As the World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 1
  • Twilight of the Dead
  • Kings of the Dead

Zombie Fallout (9 books)
  • Zombie Fallout (Zombie Fallout, #1)
  • A Plague Upon Your Family (Zombie Fallout, #2)
  • The End (Zombie Fallout, #3)
  • The End Has Come and Gone (Zombie Fallout, #4)
  • Alive In A Dead World (Zombie Fallout, #5)
  • 'Till Death Do Us Part (Zombie Fallout, #6)
  • For the Fallen (Zombie Fallout #7)
  • An Old Beginning (Zombie Fallout, #8)
  • Tattered Remnants (Zombie Fallout, #9)